A Different Kind of Heaven [...

By Silmarilz1701

Official Wattpad Tolkien Fanfic Top ranked #1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Tolkien Top 10 in Silmarillion from 2018... More

A Different Kind of Heaven
Prologue
Chapter 1: The Summons
Chapter 2: The Meeting
Chapter 3: Seven Sons
Chapter 4: How Many Cousins
Chapter 5: The Market
Chapter 6: Constellations
Chapter 7: Plans
Chapter 8: Small Reminders
Chapter 9: Learning Curve
Chapter 10: Above the Waves
Chapter 11: Jewel Shores
Chapter 12: Many Meetings
Chapter 13: Lessons and Memories
Chapter 14: Midnight Serenade
Chapter 15: Who's Who
Chapter 16: The Road Well Travelled
Chapter 17: The Festival
Chapter 18: Horse Racing
Chapter 19: Apples to Apples
Chapter 20: An Archer's Game
Chapter 21: Gardens of Paradise
Chapter 22: Sketches
Chapter 23: Liquid Silver
Chapter 24: Awkward Conversations
Chapter 25: Shut Up and Dance
Chapter 26: Food and Fellowship
Chapter 27: Hey Brother
Chapter 28: All the Emotions
Chapter 30: See the Light
Chapter 31: Spinner of Words
Chapter 32: The First Engagement
Epilogue
A Thank You

Chapter 29: City of the Gods

996 68 172
By Silmarilz1701

On the fifth day heading West from Tirion, they reached the Vanyarin settlement right outside of Valmar. Here they would stay, at one of the many inns that dotted the elven city. Speechless for the beauty of the golden haired Vanyar, Eve stuck close to the group, staying near Finno as best she could. Turvo and Elenwë seemed most at ease, clearly well familiar with the city.

“This is Elenwë's home,” Finno explained to Eve as they walked side by side, leading their horses through the roads. “She and Amarië both grew up here.”

“Oh that's nice,” Eve replied with a grin. “Did Turvo meet her here?”

Findekáno shook his head. “No. Amarië introduced them at a Festival of Yavannië. We knew Amarië through Findo.”

“How did they meet?” asked Eve again. She blushed when Finno looked at her and laughed. “I'm just curious!”

Káno, standing on the other side of Finno, laughed at her. “Findo and Amarië met as children. Amarië visited Alqualondë during a Narvinyë festival. They ended up becoming the best of friends.”

Eve rolled her eyes with a smile. “They're clearly more than best friends.”

Finno snickered. “Indeed. But they both refuse to admit the truth.”

They followed as Nelyo and Tyelko brought them before a large inn built of light stone. Leaving their horses in the stable, the small company went inside. Tyelko’s wavy golden hair fit in well with the elves of Valmar, though his was of a paler color than many Vanyar. The maiden running the inn showed them to their bedrooms. They slept two to a room: Turvo and Finno, Nelyo and Káno, Tyelko and Moryo, Elenwë and Eve.

After dropping their bags off and changing from their travel clothes, all eight met up in the huge inner courtyard. A massive fountain stood as the focal point, and the open evening sky allowed for a spectacular view. Lounging couches faced the fountain, and here they sat.

“We will spend the evening with the elves, I think,” Finno suggested as he sat on the arm of one of the couches. “We can show Eve around the Vanyar’s city.”

“A good idea,” Elenwë agreed instantly. “I would love to show you, my dear.”

Eve smiled at her. “Thanks!” She comfortably sat back in her couch spot sandwiched between Tyelko and Nelyo, Huan curled at their feet. “What should we do?”

Turvo turned to Elenwë, “What of the poetry reading? Is there not one tonight?”

Elenwë grinned and clasped her hands together. “Indeed! Over at the Hall of Words.” She stood quickly and grabbed Turvo by the hand, dragging him up alongside her. “Come! It starts with the first stars. We do not want to be late!”

Huan barked in excitement as they all got up. He licked Eve’s face and she chuckled before hurrying to catch up to Finno and Nelyo. Elenwë led the way, leaving the inn behind and walking out into the elven city beyond Valmar. A sweet scent of flowers hung in the air. Great golden banners bearing the crest of the house of Ingwë danced in the wind that coursed through the air. The elves all tried to hold their hair flat but to no avail.

Elenwë at last led them to a great building. Eve looked at it in awe, deciding it reminded her of the Parthenon of ancient Greece, with all its elaborate columns. The ones at this Hall of Words closely resembled the Ionic style she knew from art. Vanyarin elves sat upon or walked up the many white stairs to the entrance. Here, nearly see through silk drapes hung the fifty feet from top to bottom in blues and whites. It softened the appearance of the white stone.

When they walked inside, Eve gasped audibly. The high ceiling far above her was covered in murals of bright paints. The Sistine Chapel couldn't even compare to the beauty that met her eyes. For these paintings seemed to move when she did, seemed to glow of their own accord. Eve stood shell shocked.

“Come,” Finno chuckled, taking her hand and leading her forward. He gestured to where the building opened into a circular space, with a dome over the top. “This is where the poets meet and read their newest works.”

They took their seats at long pew-like benches made of a light wood. Eve sat between Káno and Finno, with Elenwë and Turvo to the right beside the latter, and to the left from Káno sat Nelyo, Tyelko, and Moryo. A particularly tall Vanya took the podium on the stage and cleared his throat.

“Good evening, ladies and lords. Tonight we have three poets for you.” He smiled and gestured to a shorter maiden with flaxen hair. “First we have the magnificent Elemmírë!”

Finno leaned over and whispered in Eve’s ear. “We are truly lucky tonight. Elemmírë is considered one of the greatest poets of the Eldar.”

“Really?” Eve looked at the woman taking the podium in surprise. “That's cool.”

Though she tried her hardest, even asked about it later, Eve could not recall specifics of the poems spoken there that night. She found them to be filled with joy and admiration for the world, glorifying Ilúvatar and his works. To her unpracticed ear, the poems all sounded equally good. But at the end, when they rose from their seats and left the Hall of Words, all turned to Káno.

“As always, Lady Elemmírë astounds,” he spoke, admiration dripping from his tone of voice. “She is a marvel to behold.”

“You should collaborate with her,” Nelyo urged as they walked through the night back to the inn.

But Káno shrugged. “I will not lie, the idea sounds wonderful. But I don't know what she would say.”

Eve rolled her eyes. “Oh come off it. What poet wouldn't want their pieces put to music. Especially your music, mister ‘gold-cleaver’.”

Everyone started laughing, and Moryo from where he trailed behind, though he snickered more than chuckled. Elenwë turned to Káno.

“I could try to introduce you. My father is friends with her mother; they grew up together.” She pointed back from where they came. “I'm sure Elemmírë would be delighted to meet you. You are both famous in your respective arts.”

Káno chuckled. “Very well. I would be delighted to meet her.”

“Good!” Elenwë grinned back at him. “While others go to the Trees, we will go to see my parents.”

They reached the inn once more and split up. Most retired to their rooms. Eve did so, falling asleep quickly. She found herself waking up early in the morning, when the world still slept and the sky stayed dark. But Elenwë woke too and, after dressing, together they made their way to the inn’s inner courtyard.

To Eve’s surprise, Turvo and Nelyo already sat in the courtyard. The redhead sat in one corner of a grey couch while Turvo sat across in a comfortable chair.  The silver glow of Telperion partially illuminated the area, causing the white marble floors to shine. Eve sat down next to Nelyo, Elenwë to her other side.

“Good morning,” Nelyo smiled softly. “Are you ready to see Valmar?”

“That's the city of the Ainur, right?” Eve asked quickly. When he nodded, she continued. “Definitely.”

Moryo and Tyelko walked in moments later with Huan not far behind, the former elf dressed in black and red, the latter wearing his usual greens and tans. They made their way over, chatting quietly. When they reached the other four, they stood by Nelyo’s side.

“Where is Káno?” Moryo asked. “And Findekáno, for that matter.”

Nelyo shrugged. “Káno at least should be here soon.”

The light filtering in through the opening in the roof turned gold as Laurelin began to overtake the other. Finno and Káno joined them several minutes later, and the group stood to leave. When they walked out into the street, Eve found herself smiling.

“What?” Finno asked her curiously as she looked around.

Eve’s smile grew and she blushed. “It's just so amazing here.”

They all laughed as Huan barked seemingly in reply. The massive golden wolfhound bounded ahead of them before turning back and wagging his tail eagerly. Tyelko’s smile grew as he hurried up to his dog and pet him on the head.

Walking through the Vanyarin city didn't take particularly long. Within half an hour they reached the far entrance and stepped out into open fields. Down the cobbled road about a half mile, Eve saw a grand wall of white stone. They passed many travelers while making their way west, mostly Vanyar, but a few of the Falmari and Noldor strode by as well.

Upon reaching the great golden gate which stood wide open, a great many bells could be heard. They tinkled lightly in the easy breeze, hidden from sight but not from hearing. Turvo and Elenwë led the way inside. Eve, stepping over the threshold and into the city, stopped so suddenly that Moryo ran into her, much to his annoyance.

“What the hell,” she murmured in awe. “Those buildings are floating!”

She pointed to her left, but it was the same to the right. While many buildings remained on the ground, many also floated in the air, suspended by some strange magic. Their roofs gleamed gold in the daylight, and the doors had been crafted of polished bronze. She couldn't believe her eyes.

“The Ainur use their magic to keep them up,” Turvo explained. “It is quite remarkable.”

Eve chuckled. “That's the understatement of the century!”

“We should go to the shops,” Elenwë suggested to the group.

They all agreed without dissent. The Vanya woman led the way through the streets. Eve spent most of her time looking around at all the sights to be seen. Fountains and flower beds lined the white streets, and hanging from the portico of each building on the ground were chimes of all sizes. With the steady breeze, the chiming sounded like a million tinkling bells, crafting beautiful music for all to enjoy.

When Elenwë halted along a large promenade, she gestured to the buildings. Sets of stairs led the buildings in the air, and the ones along the ground had wide open doors. The first shop they went in had scarves, and Nelyo gave Eve money to purchase one of red and black silk. It went well it the simple, flowy grey long sleeved dress she currently wore.

They stopped at a few more shops before lunch time, and then after lunch meandered through the city. Eve, though quite sure nothing could surprise her now, found this to be incorrect. Every now and then a being of strange appearance would wander by. One was so bright, seemingly made of pure fire, that everyone had to look away as she passed.

“Arien,” explained Finno, “She is a powerful Maia.”

But as the day wound to a close, and the cool of night drifted in, they couldn't decide how to proceed. Eve insisted she wanted to see the Trees, for she could glimpse a bright light from the West, and Nelyo had a wonderful idea.

“I would like to meet Elemmírë tomorrow,” he declared, turning to the others as they stood in a small circle near the exit of the city. “I do not need to see the Two Trees. Why doesn't Finno show you since this trip was in fact of his planning?”

Eve brightened up. “Okay!”

“Moryo, Tyelko, you two don't want to see the Trees, correct?” Nelyo asked with a knowing smile.

Moryo went to object, but at Nelyo’s silent insistence he kept his mouth shut. Tyelko nodded and spoke up, “I intend to meet a few of the Hunters tomorrow. Hrávien and Rusco at least are here.”

“Turvo?” asked Nelyo.

But Elenwë answered. “He and I would rather come back in the daylight for Laurelin.”

“And I intend to meet Elemmírë if that is at all possible,” Káno added quickly.

Finno shuffled where he stood and sent Nelyo a tiny roll of his eyes. But he turned to Eve and smiled. “I suppose it will be just us then.”

Eve felt her body tingle and she knew she was blushing. But she didn't care. She looked forward to finally spending time alone with Finno. “Sounds good to me!”

The group split, Eve and Finno making their way out the Western gate, the others returning to the Eastern gate. As the pair heading to the Trees left the city beyond the great white wall, Eve gasped. For a mile away upon a great green hill, two Trees stood. She could just make out their features beyond the light.

Telperion, tall and strong with bark of silver and leaves of deep green, had millions of flowers that shone silver alongside the underside of the leaves themselves. To the right stood a slightly smaller tree, though no less grand, that was Laurelin. She also had bark of silvery-white, but her leaves were a pale, light green trimmed with gold, and gold shone her flowers. Eve could not wait to see them closer.

A/N:

Hey guys! Who's enjoying this?! Leave me a comment if you could, and don't forget to vote.

I have several ship names for you to guess on and NO Earwen you can't guess. You helped make them.

WildChild (you've met both!)

Evedekáno (that's easy)

WordNerds (your about to meet the second half - she's only been mentioned)

PerpetualDenial (definitely met both)

ActualThing (which of the relationships in this story is ACTUALLY canon AND is fully realized?)

Also, next chapter is going to be BIG. There's only going to be about 6-8 chapters left before I start book two so GET READY.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 373 24
*Updated all chapters and changed the storyline a bit on 26-02-24 so if you're confused I do recommend rereading the previous chapters* Amdiriel was...
17K 304 24
For everyone who dreams of a life far, far away in Middle Earth. Settling down with one of the fine Elves Tolkien created. This is a collection of fl...
15.4K 1K 22
Sequel to "A Different Kind of Heaven," but takes place thirty-six Valian Years later (340+ Earth years). Top ranked #1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Maedhr...
63.4K 2.2K 40
***Official Wattpad LOTR Fanfic*** Here follows the story of Thranduil, newly crowned King of the Woodland Realm. These pages tell of how he met the...