Not the Only One (Book 1 in t...

eternalfelicity

When we don't know who to turn to, sometimes we turn to the ones we least expect. Luke Salazar is a senior at... Еще

Author's Note - January 2020
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six - April 21, 2018
Forty-Seven - April 21, 2018
Forty-Eight - April 23, 2018
Forty-Nine - April 23, 2018
Fifty - April 28, 2018
Fifty-One - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Two - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Three - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Four - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Six - May 4, 2018
Fifty-Seven - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Eight - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Nine - May 5, 2018
Sixty - May 5, 2018
Sixty-One - May 9, 2018
Sixty-Two - May 10, 2018
Sixty-Three - May 13, 2018
Sixty-Four - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Five - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Six - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Seven - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Eight - May 17, 2018
Sixty-Nine - May 20, 2018
Seventy - May 25, 2018
Seventy-One - May 25, 2018
Seventy-Two - May 26, 2018
Seventy-Three - May 28, 2018
Seventy-Four - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Five - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Six - June 1, 2018
Seventy-Seven - July 29, 2018
Seventy-Eight - July 30, 2018
Seventy-Nine - August 11, 2018
Epilogue - August 2020
Author's Note

Fifty-Five - April 29, 2018

644 84 133
eternalfelicity

Brooke

I yawned and rolled over, my arm draping over Luke's body next to me. I smiled, remembering the night before.

I opened my eyes to peer at him and saw he was still sleeping. I didn't want to wake him up, so I slid out of bed silently and headed to the kitchen to make breakfast – waffles sounded really fuckin' good.

I had been in the kitchen, mixing batter and pouring it onto the waffle iron, for about 20 minutes when I heard Luke's footsteps coming down the hall.

When he turned the corner, I felt something in my heart switch. My feelings for him were no longer just physical, sensual... they were deeper somehow... visceral.

His bedhead was adorably messy, his eyes bleary from sleep, his chest bare and pajama pants slung low on his hips. My heart melted.

"Morning, sunshine," I greeted him as he walked around to meet me by the counter.

He kissed my cheek. "Good morning, beautiful. What's all this?" he asked.

"I was hungry... figured you would be too."

"You figured right," he said, patting his bare stomach.

I grinned and pushed a plate of waffles toward him, climbing on the stool and pulling my own plate in front of me.

We ate slowly, savoring every bite. We didn't say much, but that was okay. I had so many emotions swirling within me that I wasn't really sure what to say.

I took his plate from him when he was done and we started doing the dishes. I glanced at him, scrubbing the mixing bowl. I grinned and splashed him with the water running from the faucet.

He jumped and looked at me with a glint in his eyes. "Oh no, Ms. Kane... you did not," he said, and I ran around the other side of the island.

"I did," I said, shrugging.

He stepped to the right and I stepped away to avoid him, but he faked me out and grabbed me around the waist. I giggled uncontrollably as he tickled me.

"Ahhh, Luke, I can't breathe!" I gasped between laughs.

"Should've thought about that before you splashed me," he teased, continuing to tickle my sides, tossing me gently onto the couch and hovering over me.

"Truce, truce," I wheezed.

He grinned and moved my hair out of my eyes, leaning in to kiss me, his lips barely brushing mine...

Beep.

"Shit," we both said, glancing over at the coffee table where his phone was laying.

"I better get it... it might be my parents," he said reluctantly, moving off of me to reach it.

He opened the text and I watched his face contort from placid happiness to concerned confusion.

"What is it?" I asked, sitting up and crossing my legs under me.

"It's Miles. Something really bad happened... he's frantic and needs to talk to me immediately," he said, looking up at me, his hazel eyes cloudy.

"Tell him to come over here," I urged. He nodded and his fingers flew across his screen.

"They'll be here in 10 minutes," he said, tossing his phone onto the recliner.

"I wonder what happened," I mused as Luke sat down next to me, putting his hand on my knee.

He shrugged, his shoulders falling against mine.

"Can we make out 'til they get here?" I asked.

"Yep," he replied, pulling me on top of him.

Rachel

I ran up to Brooke's door and burst in without knocking.

"Oh, sweet Jesus," I said, covering my eyes. "Sorry!"

But they just laughed, detangling their legs from each other. "No problem," Brooke said, smoothing her hair.

Miles came in behind me, looking at the ground, a deep frown darkening his handsome face.

They were immediately solemn when they saw the look on his face. "What happened, Rachel?" Brooke asked me, her brown eyes wide.

I shook my head, wanting Miles to be able to say what he needed to say.

Luke sat forward, watching Miles intently. "Come on, cuz. What happened?"

Miles sighed. "Well, first of all, my dad walked in on us at the hotel last night."

Brooke gasped and Luke shook his head in horror.

"Yeah," Miles continued. "It was humiliating. But... that's not the issue here," he said, glancing at me. I nodded at him slightly, as if to say, go on. He took a deep breath. "He started insulting me, insulting Rachel... and she got in his face to stand up for me."

"Good for you!" Brooke interrupted.

Miles held up his hand. "He hit her in the face, you guys. He slapped her."

I watched the color drain from Brooke's face while Luke's turned crimson in an instant.

"Come again?" Luke asked, his voice shaking.

"He hit her." Miles put a finger gently on my jaw and turned my face so that they could see my cheek. The redness had gone down some, but it was obvious I had been hit.

"My God," Brooke whispered, getting up and dropping to her knees in front of me. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "I'm fine. It upset Miles more than it hurt me," I said, reaching over and taking his hand in mine. He squeezed it gratefully.

Luke spoke up next. "What are you going to do?"

Miles shrugged. "I don't know. I just know I can't go home. I don't ever want to see him again."

Luke slapped his thighs and stood up. "You'll stay with me," he said with an air of finality.

Miles looked up at him. "Really?"

"Of course. My parents will understand. Let's go talk to them now – get all this straightened out." Luke picked up his keys and wallet from the coffee table.

Miles turned to me. "I'll come back to get you after I talk to Luke's folks, okay?"

I nodded and kissed him gently. "That's fine, baby. I love you."

"I love you too," he replied, heading toward the door.

Luke kissed Brooke on the side of her head, and even while all of this other bullshit was going on, I couldn't help but be so happy for them.

When the guys had left, Brooke and I walked out to the beach.

The breeze was a little chilly for late April, and I was glad I was still wearing Miles' hoodie. I crossed my arms over my abdomen as we walked in silence.

Finally, Brooke spoke. "Do you want to talk about something else?"

I nodded gratefully. I needed a distraction. "Please."

Brooke grinned and jumped in front of me, putting her hands on my shoulders.

"Luke and I had sex last night!" she blurted.

Despite everything, a huge smile spread across my face. "You did!? Holy shit!" I yelped, hugging her and spinning her around.

"Yep. We totally did."

"Well? How was it!?" I demanded.

"It was seriously amazing... best sex I've ever had," she said, clasping her hands to her chest.

"Yeah? Come on, I need details!" I dragged her over to an abandoned beach chair and pulled her down next to me.

"Oh... a lady doesn't kiss and tell," she teased.

I glared at her and she laughed.

"Kidding. He was so innocent, Rach. It was adorable. I even helped him put the condom on," she said, and I snorted. "But seriously, though... he was slow, and passionate... attentive... it was perfect. I honestly wish it had been my first time," she admitted.

"I'm really happy for you guys, Brookie," I said, squeezing her hands in mine.

"Thank you, Rach... and thank you for forcing me to give him a chance."

I grinned. "You're welcome... so I guess I should thank you for giving Miles my phone number, even though I wanted to kill you at the time."

She shrugged. "The sooner you learn that I know what's best for you, the better!"

Luke

"He did WHAT?" my dad yelled, jumping to his feet.

Miles closed his eyes. "He hit—"

Dad held up his hand. "Don't repeat it please... what in the hell was he thinking?"

We both shrugged. "He's such an asshole," Miles muttered.

"Got that right," Dad agreed, glancing at Mom. She looked horrified.

"Dad... Miles can't go home. I was wondering if he could – "

Dad cut me off immediately. "Of course. Miles, you'll stay with us. We have an extra bedroom."

Miles' face relaxed immediately and he lay back against the couch in relief. "Thank you guys... I can't express to you how much that means."

Mom jumped up. "I'll go get the spare room ready," she said, looking thankful to have a distraction.

When she was gone, Miles looked at Dad. "Adam... we don't have to tell Rachel's parents about this do we? She doesn't want to... and I'm not sure I do either."

Dad thought for a moment. "No... the fewer people involved in this the better. She wasn't seriously hurt; it would be different if he had broken a bone or something."

Miles and I both nodded. "Thanks, Adam," Miles said.

Dad leaned forward, his elbows on his knees. "Do you believe me now?" I cocked my head to one side. "I told you that you had no idea what he was capable of."

Miles and I looked at one another, and the darkness I saw in his eyes broke my heart – Miles already knew what he was capable of – he always has. 

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

32.5K 2.9K 54
**ATTENTION! This is a sequel to Not the Only One. Please please don't read any further until you read it! - SPOILERS ahead! All of the characters wi...
Accidentally On Purpose SOPHIE MADELEINE

Любовные романы

75K 1.1K 58
When Hollis moved to California, she had never expected to fall in love with the charming football player, Owen Windess. She hadn't expected to fall...
593K 17.5K 102
"If you want to try again, I've learned a few things since then and now I'm sure... I would make it so, so good for you..." Luke pulls back, a troubl...
Before You Leave fbishi

Любовные романы

18.2K 555 40
(Before You Leave #1) She was sent to boarding school over the smallest of mistakes... Okay, burning down your schools gym might have been a big one...