The Cracks in the Labyrinth

By ChristianNava0

Evoking the paranoid tension of Rosemary's Baby and the unnerving atmosphere of the cult horror film Jacob's... More

Prologue (Part 1)
Prologue (Part 2)
Prologue (Part 3)
Chapter 1 (Part 1)
Chapter 1 (Part 2)
Chapter 2 (Part 1)
Chapter 2 (Part 2)
Chapter 3 (Part 1)
Chapter 3 (Part 2)
Chapter 3 (Part 3)
Chapter 4 (Part 1)
Chapter 4 (Part 2)
Chapter 5 (Part 1)
Chapter 5 (Part 2)
Chapter 5 (Part 3)
Chapter 6 (Part 1)
Chapter 6 (Part 2)
Chapter 6 (Part 3)
Chapter 6 (Part 4)
Chapter 7 (Part 1)
Chapter 7 (Part 2)
Chapter 8 (Part 1)
Chapter 8 (Part 2)
Chapter 8 (Part 3)
Chapter 9 (Part 1)
Chapter 9 (Part 2)
Chapter 10 (Part 1)
Chapter 10 (Part 2)
Chapter 11 (Part 1)
Chapter 11 (Part 3)
Chapter 12 (Part 1)
Chapter 12 (Part 2)
Chapter 13 (Part 1)
Chapter 13 (Part 2)
Chapter 13 (Part 3)
Chapter 14 (Part 1)
Chapter 14 (Part 2)
Chapter 14 (Part 3)
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17 (Part 1)
Chapter 17 (Part 2)
Chapter 18 (Part 1)
Chapter 18 (Part 2)
Chapter 18 (Part 3)
Chapter 18 (Part 4)
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue

Chapter 11 (Part 2)

521 76 15
By ChristianNava0

Adam struggled through the crowd to get into the Metro car as other passengers pushed to get off. Today is a terrible day to ride the subway, he thought while people squeezed tight and fast around him, fighting for any scrap of floor space inside. Some of them looked upset, and others relished in the anarchy.

"Stop grabbing my ass," a woman shouted.

"What's your name, dude?" a man asked the guy behind him. "If I get pregnant, I want to name it after his father."

"Back off!"

Adam heard many complaining, plenty of curse words, and a few jokes as they crammed themselves inside. This is why we deserve what is happening to us. After two people bumped into him, Adam checked his pockets. He knew someone would end up without his wallet, and if he didn't want to be that person, finding a place to sit down as fast as possible was his best recourse.

This proved impossible, however. The throng of passengers was like a strong river current that left Adam with no space between his back and the closing doors.

The subway car made a screech, and soon the tum-tum of the train moving at top speed was felt throughout the entire wagon floor. I can't breathe, he realized, unable to think about anything besides the heat, the noise, and the pungent smell of body odor. Above him, the bright white lights flickered when they were about to stop at the next station. Then Adam noticed, just in time, that the guy sitting close to him was leaving. Lucky! In a quick motion, he almost jumped to sit as the other man stood up.

"Oh, thank God."

No sooner had his buttocks touched the seat when he felt the reproaching gaze of an older woman. Well over seventy years old, she struggled to keep her balance as she held onto the tube above with one hand and clutched a package of Harina PAN with her other arm.

Shit, he hadn't noticed she was waiting for that spot. Stand up and let her take it. Then he saw a young man wearing a Leones del Caracas baseball cap eying him too. If I move, he will try to get it first. Besides, two kids that Adam didn't dare to look at had gotten on at the previous station. Better stay here and go unnoticed.

The Metro continued on its clattering way on the underground tracks.

As they left the closed-off areas behind, the wagon grew emptier, and the medley of smells dissipated. Soon more people were sitting down than standing up.

This isn't so bad, he grinned.

"Ladies and gentleman..." said one of the two kids Adam hadn't dared to look at. He was tall and had his ears pierced. "This is a robbery."

Adam's throat closed up.

"No, man," said the guy with the sleeve tattoos. "I told you, we don't do that anymore."

"We don't?" asked Pierced Earlobes, scratching his head. "In that case, never mind. We are not robbers."

"Nor Jehovah witnesses," Tattoo Sleeves joked.

Some passengers showed relief, not Adam, though. Delinquents or not, these guys wanted something.

"We are here to share our art," Pierced Earlobes said. "Hit it!"

Tattoo Sleeves started beatboxing, and he rapping.

Although they were in front of Adam, he tried to keep his eyes on the ground (as well as several passengers), while others enjoyed their performance so much they recorded it with their smartphones.

My kingdom for a pair of headphones, said Adam to himself, shocked that the woman clasping the Harina PAN sitting to his right was nodding at the syncopated rhythm of the music.

To get back to the Eden towers, you need money, Adam reminded himself. Pay no attention, and you won't have to 'pay' them. To his surprise, his own foot moved to the beat of the impromptu song not long after deciding that.

Whatever.

To ignore them became hopeless now that they were freestyling about the passengers.

Without catching his breath, Pierced Earlobes pointed at a woman applying lipstick with a remarkably steady hand despite the train's motion.

"Hey, sexy, putting makeup on,

Stop! Already have a hard-on.

What? Don't like I'm excited?

Too bad. Cuz I'm just getting started."

Then he walked towards the older woman carrying the Harina PAN package.

"You! Protecting flour like I do my wiener,

Can't you see we only want dinner?"

Huge grins spread across their faces like an infection, and no one was immune, not even Baseball Cap, at least until Pierced Earlobes rapped about him.

"Why wear a cap where there's no sun?

Maybe your baldness has just begun."

After that, they turned to Adam.

"Be like this guy,

And have some pride, son.

Since a hat is his last resort

Let's call him Lord Baldy-mort!"

Like his feet had done it earlier, Adam's face betrayed him too. He smirked, unable to deny the rapper's talent.

They won.

Adam produced two bills and gave them to the kids. He had little cash on him, but they deserved his money. At least for a few minutes, they'd helped him forget his own problems.

Once they left the train, the car's atmosphere remained pleasant, filled with contagious smiles that transformed into amusing conversations.

Adam ended up giving his seat to a pregnant woman, and an old lady eating Lays offered some of her chips to a boy resting on his father's lap near her.

We will make it, Adam glanced at his phone.

"Fuck," said Baseball Cap when the car shook, jostling them.

Before stopping, the loud screech was worse than the sudden but short darkness that followed. By the time Adam regained his balance, the red emergency lights were on.

"A blackout," someone mumbled.

"There's no power."

"Fucking government!"

"And now?" asked the pregnant woman. "What do we do?"

"We were so close," said the old lady, putting her bag of chips away.

Adam leaned against the wall behind him and folded his arms. It's over. We are stuck.

This setback had been enough to sour the mood. Some clenched to their belongings, not trusting anyone around them, others peered down the dark subway tunnel outside the large windows, a few remained motionless, and the rest of them tweeted about the blackout or sought to make a phone call.

When it came to Adam, he assumed it was best to do nothing. Someone would help them, or the power would return. Either way, we'll be able to get out at the following station.

The problem: not everyone saw waiting as an option.

Baseball Cap tried to open the double doors while the Kid's Father interrupted him, begging him to listen to the train conductor through the speakers.

"Back off, asshole," Baseball Cap shouted.

"Never talk to me like that when I'm with my son."

"We have to leave!"

"There's nowhere to go," the Kid's Father grabbed Baseball Cap by the elbow.

"Don't touch me," the man turned around; his entire face botched with rage.

"Dammit," Adam whispered, praying none of them had a weapon because things could only get worse from here on.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Straitjacket By Isabel

Science Fiction

324K 22.9K 93
Sixteen-year-old Sage Greene was locked in a maximum-security asylum for the criminally insane after murdering nearly 200 civilians. It isn't her, th...
7.6K 1.7K 35
"If I made you believe, over and over, that you're a little psychotic and all of our studies prove you a psychopath, I'd be damned if you don't pick...
BioHazard By Jake Calton

Mystery / Thriller

140 62 36
the world is told to be fright. and the inside is not much better, safe from whatever is outside. but this boy, Jake, does not believe it completely...
57.8K 4.5K 27
(Book Two of Experiment Number 7218. Do not read this summary or book if you have not read Book One) I listen closely through the static on the radio...