The Night We Met (Lumberjack...

By avengerofyourheart

Summary: The moment he walked into your Wintery, small town, you knew there was something different about him... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 14
Part 15(End)

Part 13

3.8K 144 52
By avengerofyourheart

Characters: reader, Kurt (Steve), Grant (OC).

Summary: Almost three years have passed since that unforgettable night you spent with a mysterious man in a snowy cabin. When Steve unexpectedly walks back into your small town, a lot has changed for you both. How will your time apart and Steve's uncertain present affect the possibility of a future together? [Canon, events take place shortly after CACW]

Warnings: Fluffy fluff and stuff! Mild angst perhaps?

Word Count: 2.8k

Song Inspiration: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

A/N: Whew! I'm back from Europe (*whines*) and trying to get back into the swing of things. Thank you all for your patience and support. We've got a few more parts coming! I hope you're ready. :D Can't wait to hear your thoughts, I always love your feedback! Love you guys! <3

__________________________________

Previously:

"Steve?" you croaked. "Is everything—" you began to ask with a hint of panic.

"Everything's fine, sweetheart," he said with a smile. "Sorry to wake you, but I have to take care of a few things and I didn't want you to worry. I'll be gone a few hours, but I promise I'll be back to pick you up for our date around 9, okay?"

Settling your head back on your pillow, you caressed his bearded cheek. "Okay. Be safe. I love you," you muttered sleepily.

"I love you, too," he replied with a kiss to your lips.

Within moments, you were back asleep.

_______________

Waking up alone wasn't your favorite feeling after the past few days of bliss, but you had plenty to look forward to later in the day. Crawling out of bed as you heard Grant call out for you, you got him breakfast and readied you both for the day.

On Monday, you had called the daycare center so they would be expecting Grant. You dropped him off Tuesday morning around the same time you usually did for work and even wore work clothes to complete the facade. Although you normally didn't work Tuesdays, you still somehow felt like you were playing hooky. It just felt different now, as if someone was keeping a closer look on your comings and goings. However, Grant was happy to see his friends again, so you blew him a kiss and headed back home.

As 9 o'clock neared, you remember that Steve hadn't yet told you what the dress code was for this date, so you decided to wait. When he arrived, you had your makeup and hair done, wearing less than comfortable underclothing, but you had a feeling it would be worth the discomfort in the end.

You heard Steve stomp his boots on the porch and slip in the door right on time. He called out for you as he neared the living room. "Y/N, doll, are you ready to—" he began with a bright smile and cheeks pink from the cold. He stopped short then to see you not quite dressed.

"Remember that 'warning' I was supposed to get?" you teased, quirking an eyebrow.

Steve looked sheepish. "Sorry. Something really warm and comfortable is what I had in mind," he told you, then indicating to the snow pants, ski jacket, and hat that he was currently wearing.

You gave him a deadpan look. "Really? Guess I didn't have to do my hair..." you muttered, heading for the closet. Steve caught you from behind then, wrapping his arms around you and burying his cold face in your neck, making you yelp.

He laughed at your reaction. "You always look gorgeous, love. And it'll be worth it, I promise," he assured you. You believed him, but mostly you were grateful to hear him laugh and seem more himself.

You sighed with a smile. "Okay. Give me 10 minutes."

_______________

Climbing onto the snowmobile behind Steve, you had your suspicions about where you were headed, but kept it to yourself and enjoyed the ride through the snowy mountains. The day was gorgeous and sunny without a cloud in the sky. He'd even checked the forecast previously to make sure no snow storms were on the horizon. Although considering how that scenario had ended, you might not have minded if it were repeated.

Just as you had thought, in a short time your father's old hunting cabin came into view. Steve helped you off the sled and unlocked the door before letting you step inside. The cabin looked mostly the same, except cleaner and it seemed that Steve had used those early morning hours to prepare this surprise.

Dozens of electric candles were scattered around the cabin and a fire was already burning in the fireplace. He threw a few more logs on the fire as you slipped off your winter clothing and stayed in your leggings and fleece jacket. Steve did the same and then lit a long, wax tapered candle that was resting on the table. Mismatched dishes and silverware were set and the plates were currently covered.

"Steve..." you cooed with a smile, touched by the effort he'd put into this day.

He just shrugged, pulling you into his side. "I wish I could take you out for a fancy dinner, but hopefully this will do."

"I don't think we have fancy restaurants here," you jested. "And it's perfect, I love it," you said with a kiss. "I wasn't even sure if my father still had this cabin or if he sold it."

He shrugged. "It looked like nothing had been touched in a months, maybe more, so whether or not he still owns it, we're just gonna borrow it for awhile," Steve replied with a wink, making you laugh.

Steve walked around to pull out your chair then and you sat with him then settling across from you. He reached for the cloth napkins covering both your plates with a smile.

"I thought I'd recreate our first date, so..." Steve teased as he pulled off the covers to reveal an open can of beans before you and chili con carne on his own plate. You burst out laughing at the gesture and he joined you, bringing back so many wonderful memories. He relented then, pulling out a cooler from behind him with actual food to eat inside along with a bottle of wine

You enjoyed your lunch and Steve's company immensely, talking about anything and everything while you ate. Curiosity got the better of you, though, asking how he had arranged the cabin and snowmobile without arousing suspicion.

"Well...I didn't exactly have the proper identification to rent the sled, so I slipped someone a little extra so he'd keep quiet. Whether or not he recognized me, I'm not sure, but if you're doing some shady dealings, you rarely want to bring the authorities' attention to you," he explained with a twinkle in his eye.

Once you'd finished eating, Steve got to his feet and asked for your hand. He pressed a button on his phone, causing music to fill the cabin. He pulled you into his arms and began to sway with you, dancing to the melody. With the warmth of the cabin, wine in your veins and Steve in your arms, you felt like this was one of the most perfect moments you'd ever had.

Slow, steady kisses began to burn hotter and soon you were swaying in the direction of the bedroom as you slowly undressed each other. Steve was pleasantly surprised to see the lingerie underneath your warm clothing, expressing that if he'd known what was underneath all that he doubted if he would've made it through the entire meal.

Arriving beside the bed, you noticed that the bedding actually looked clean this time, for which you were grateful. Steve lowered you on the mattress and soon you were lost in each other, finally able to loudly express yourself and enjoy finding pleasure in one another.

The afternoon was filled with lovemaking, interrupted by small catnaps and sustenance to regain your strength. During a quiet moment while resting in Steve's arms, you hadn't wanted to spoil the moment but felt compelled to voice a constant concern on your mind.

"Steve?"

"Hm?" he groaned sleepily.

"What happens if you're found?" you asked quietly.

Silence fell again, but then Steve shifted onto his side to prop his head up with his elbow, keeping an arm around your waist. You rolled onto your back to watch his expression as he tried to find the words.

"Well...I am a fugitive from the law, so at the very least, they'll take me in for questioning. I'm not sure what solid evidence exists, but they have their suspicions," he uttered, drawing random patterns on your sheet- covered stomach with his fingertips. "I'm pretty sure they know about the jail break, though."

Your eyes grew wide at that. "What? Who—"

Steve stopped you with a finger to your lips. "The less you know, the better, but...they didn't deserve to be there and they were my responsibility. If you saw some of the conditions...." he trailed off, jaw set in anger. "Plus, they think I'm hiding Bucky."

"Aren't you?" you asked with a tilt of your head.

Steve just smiled sadly. "Well, not technically, but..."

You captured Steve's hand with yours, fingers brushing over the callouses that had grown over time while you were lost in your own thoughts.

He breathed a heavy sigh. "I'm more worried about WHO might come. If they think I'll put up a fight, it wouldn't be law enforcement, that's for sure. But if I came quietly, I don't know..."

Sitting up suddenly then, you turned toward Steve with a sheet wrapped around you. "Do they honestly see you as a threat?" you asked with a tinge of anger in your voice.

Steve laid back on the pillows to look up at the ceiling. "They definitely don't see me as compliant, and right now that's all they want."

Dropping your gaze, you finally spoke your one last worry. "Would you run?"

Steve reached out to cup a hand to your face. "Maybe," he whispered quietly with unexpected emotion in his voice.

Lifting off the pillows, Steve brought your lips down to his with a lingering, emotional kiss as you looped your arms around him. He gently flipped you over, your back against the mattress. All talk forgotten was Steve as tore the sheet from you to worship your body once again.

As your time there came to a close, you cherished the last moments with just the two of you before dressing in your warm clothing and heading for home. You helped Steve pack up all the items used for lunch and for ambience, then locking up the cabin. Strapping the bag to your back as you held onto Steve, he started the engine and steered the sled back toward town.

Just as you arrived at your car after dropping off the snowmobile, you must have finally found service because your phone began to sound repeatedly with texts and voicemails. Your immediate worry was that something had happened to Grant, but unlocking your phone, you saw that most of them were from Ted. Climbing in the car with Steve in the driver's seat, you asked him to pause before starting the engine. You had to make a phone call first before heading for home. Filled with dread, you pressed the icon for Ted's number and heard the phone ring only twice before he answered.

"Y/N, it's nice of you to finally respond," you heard him answer, a current of anger under his calm voice.

"Ted, is everything okay? I—"

"It is now, thanks to me. That Worker's Comp case you'd been working on? Well apparently, the foreman didn't get the message that the employee isn't allowed to work so he showed up and aggravated his injury. Now we're under scrutiny with his lawyer. Where have you been all day? I called at least a dozen times!" he demanded, feeling yourself shrink in your seat.

Steve could hear the angry voice on the line, gripping your hand in his for support with brow furrowed. "Ted, I, um...I'm sorry, I've been sick all day. I turned off my phone so I could rest. Please forgive me, it won't happen again, I —"

"Sick? Really?" Ted took a deep breath then, seemingly to keep himself in check. "Well, I hope the rest helped. I was able to handle the lawyers. Is Grant sick too?" he asked, sounding more calm.

"Um...no, my friend Jana offered to take him so I could recover. He seems just fine, but thank you for your concern," you replied with a husky voice, hoping to sound believably ill.

"Can we expect you tomorrow or will you need more time?" you heard Ted ask as you met Steve's eye.

"I'm not sure, I...if you really need me to come in, I'll try," you croaked, hating to lie but knowing it was necessary.

"I see. Well, don't overextend yourself. Is there anything you need?" he asked, hearing actual concern in his voice now, which made you feel all the more guilty.

"No. Thank you, Ted. And I'm truly so sorry that I missed your calls. It won't happen again," you apologized profusely.

"I'm sure it won't," he said. "Rest well, Y/N."

"Goodnight," you replied before ending the call.

Staring at your phone a moment, you felt the heavy silence in the car before you turned toward Steve. You knew his expression well. Guilt.

"Steve, don't. This is not your fault, okay?" you tried to assure him as you squeezed his hand. "It's incredibly rare that I'm needed on a day like today and I told you it would be fine. This was my responsibility and I'll deal with it when I get back to work. Today was perfect. One phone call won't change that in the slightest," you told him with a smile.

He took deep breath and rubbed a hand across his face, trying to ingest your words. "Okay. It really was a perfect day," he said, pulling you in for a kiss. "Let's go get our boy."

"Okay," you agreed, giving directions for the daycare center. As Steve drove, you replied to a text from Jana that had gotten lost in the mass of messages from Ted.

Arriving at the daycare center, you walked in alone and peeked in the room to find Grant.

"Y/N, hello!" a chipper voice called out, drawing your attention.

Turning toward the voice, you spotted Molly, the caretaker. "Molly. Hi, nice to see you," you responded with a conservative smile. Ever since your conversation with Ted, you'd been wary of her, but couldn't pinpoint why. "Is Grant ready?"

"Just about, I'll have one of the girls get his coat and backpack," Molly said with a grin, then disappearing into the room for a moment. When she returned, there was a moment of waiting, unfortunately. "So...we're so glad to have Grant back today. It's been a few days, hasn't it?"

You gave a slow nod. "It has, but Grant's been with a friend, so nothing to worry about," you answered vaguely.

"Oh? Would that be Jana?" she asked, maintaining an overly pleasant tone that was starting to grate on your nerves.

"Some of the time, yeah," you answered vaguely, hoping to end the interrogation.

Molly pursed her lips. "I see," letting the silence linger a moment. "I was talking to Nancy at the market yesterday and she said she spotted a man outside your place with Grant the other day. Is that a new friend?"

Taking a deep breath then, you felt annoyance with a hint of fear flow through you. Enjoying the little bubble of your loving family the past few days, you momentarily forgot how the small town mentality might affect all of you. Steve should be able to play with his son in the backyard enclosed by a wooden fence without any worries, but nosy neighbors always found a way. You'd have to be a little more careful about his outdoor exposure, which made your heart heavy.

Painting a smile back on your face, you finally responded. "Yes. He's been in town for a short while. Former employee, but just passing through," you said, sighing in relief as one of the girls finally brought Grant through the door.

"Mama!" he cried out, running your way with a paper in his hand and wrapping arms around your leg.

"Hi, sweet pea, you ready to go?" you asked your son.

"Yeah! Made a picture for daddy!" Grant said excitedly.

Molly's head snapped your way. "Oh? I was under the impression that Grant's dad wasn't in the picture?" she asked, leaning forward so she wouldn't miss an juicy details.

Dammit. You couldn't blame Grant for saying something, he was excited to have Steve. It was all becoming a lot to juggle, though. Too many prying eyes and gossiping mouths. Taking a moment to gather Grant in your arms, you thought about the best way to respond.

Clearing your throat, you replied as calm as you could be. "We've had some contact. He doesn't live here, but we've Skyped and such. It's new and I'd rather not get into it. Thank you for watching Grant, have a good night," you said, speaking quickly before you rushed out the door just to make the conversation end.

Taking a deep breath, as you walked to the car, you decided not to burden Steve with your previous conversation just yet. You wanted nothing more than just feel the glow of your day together and spend time as a family. Nothing would ruin this day, not even nosy gossips.

Grant was babbling the entire ride home about a new friend he'd made and showing you and Steve the finger painting he did. Steve held your hand resting on the center console as he drove, stealing glances and sending smiles your way. You were a little slower to return them as the added worries swirled around in your head.

Keeping dinner simple once you got home, you heated up some leftover chili for everyone. You let your son draw for little while, but even he was struggling to keep his eyes open so you got him ready for bed. After a bath, you were carrying a sleepy Grant into his room when there was a knock on your door. Steve was in the living room and he gave you a questioning look.

"That should be Jana. She asked if she could borrow a cake pan. Tell her I'll be right there," you told him, walking in the room and placing Grant on the floor with a blanket to put on a diaper and change him into pajamas

"Y/N?" you heard Steve call out a few minutes later.

Confused, you put Grant in his bed and tucked him in, then shutting his door quietly. Walking toward the front door, you peeked around a visibly concerned Steve and your heart stopped.

"Ted?"

_______________

Part 14>>> Coming soon!!

________________________________________________________

AAAAAHHH!!!! I know, I'm sorry about that cliffhanger!! heh. We're about to get into it, though! :D I'm excited. I hope you are too!! That date was kind of perfect, right?? *heart eyes* Steve is such a sweetheart. That Molly can take flying leap off a cliff, though, right? Like. Mind your business... What do you think Ted wants?!? I'd love to hear your theories!I can't quite say when part 14 will be up, but I'm working on it, I promise! Please let me know your thoughts, I love to hear from you!! I love you all!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

223K 3.3K 15
Here's a collection of Steve Rogers imagines written by me. I do not own any of the characters nor places that Marvel has created and will never cla...
10.3K 303 28
Hello my lovely's!! ✨ I believe I have improved my writing quiet a bit so this is my old one shots re-written! This mean that some of the plots may c...
16.7K 474 9
From a young age, you were thrown into a life that you despised by people that made choices for you. When the first opportunity to make your own arri...
69.7K 2.1K 29
Steve Rogers was walking down the streets of Brooklyn after finishing a mission. The goal was just to take some time to clear his mind along the city...