Soldier (A Bucky Barnes Fanfi...

By flamingbucky

[COMPLETED] 1917-1944. (Bucky x Female OC) *Book 2 is now up! Check out my profile!* ~ "Bucky, I want to go s... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Epilogue

Chapter 4

11.3K 355 372
By flamingbucky

Steve knocked on Adeline's door, excited to celebrate her birthday. Adeline opened the door, smiling as she saw Steve, pulling him in for a hug.

"Steve," she greeted, kissing his cheek. "Bucky told me you'd be by." He smiled, holding something behind his back. He walked in before giving her a small sketch pad.

"Happy Birthday, Adeline," he said as she took the sketch pad and opened it to the first page. It was of Adeline and Bucky, a portrait that stopped just below their shoulders. They were smiling and Bucky held her close.

"Oh, Steve," Adeline breathed, a smile pulling on her lips. "They're beautiful."

"Just in case you were wondering how he looks at you when you're not looking," Steve said. Adeline's cheeks turned red, flipping though the other drawings, some of just her, or just Bucky and even some of Steve himself. She pulled Steve in for a tight hug.

"This is the best birthday gift you've ever given me," she said with a smile.

"I'm glad you like it," Steve said, hugging her back.

"Oh," Adeline said, pulling away, "and thank you for helping Buck get those tickets. It means a lot."

"It was no problem," Steve said with a modest shrug. "I wanted you and Bucky to do something special together."

"Have I ever told you how much I love you, Steven Grant Rogers?" She asked, pulling him in for another hug. The rest of the day, Adeline spent talking with Steve.

"Thank you for the amazing birthday, Steve," Adeline said as they returned to her apartment from the park.

"It was fun," he said. "Now go have fun tonight. Do me a favor and dance with Bucky."

"I promise," Adeline said with a smile. She leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. He smiled before shoving his hands in his pockets, walking back to his apartment. Adeline rushed into her apartment, getting ready for the night.

~*~

Adeline danced in the streets while Bucky watched, his eyes glistening with love.

"You liked it?" Bucky asked as Adeline spun again. Her feet were sore, but she felt lighter than a feather.

"It was amazing!" She exclaimed, grabbing Bucky's hands, spinning him around with her. They both laughed and Adeline intertwined her fingers with his as they walked happily down the busy streets of New York. There was no moon or stars in the sky as the clouds, heavy with rain, covered them. The cool air made Adeline shiver, but she didn't mind. She was with her best friend, high on the music.

"Thank you, Bucky," Adeline said as they walked, seeing if they could catch a taxi to the train station. "This was beyond amazing."

"I'm glad," Bucky responded with a smile. Just then, the sky opened up and rain poured down. Adeline laughed as Bucky pulled her along under an overhanging roof. However, she was already soaked and so was Bucky. His groomed hair was stuck to his forehead and Adeline's once perfectly curled hair was heavy with water.

Bucky laughed, brushing her hair out of her eyes. God, he was so beautiful. His blue eyes were simply stunning and he was right there, in front of Adeline. The 21 years of waiting was threatening to spill. Both Adeline and Bucky could feel it. Bucky held her close and it was intoxicating. This feeling was better than any alcohol Adeline could buy. He began to lean down and Adeline would've let it happen, but there was a harsh honk of a horn.

"Hey! You two need a ride?" The driver asked through the rain. Adeline pulled back, laughing, glancing at the kind driver.

"Yeah, you got room?" Adeline asked.

"Yeah, come on! The rain's only gonna get worse," the driver said. Adeline rushed to the taxi, scooting in as Bucky got in after her.

"The train station please," Adeline said, well aware of Bucky's eyes still on her. The driver was right as they drove the rain got worse. Bucky got out first, pulling Adeline alongquickly through the heavy rain.

"If I would've known it was going to rain, I would've brought an umbrella," Bucky said with a crooked grin as raindrops slid down his face.

By the time they got home, it was already one in the morning and Adeline's eyes were burning with fatigue. Bucky walked her to her apartment and they stood in front of the door. The sidewalk was filled with puddles but the rain had went from a drizzle to completely stopping.

"Really, thank you, Bucky," Adeline said.

"Yeah, it was no problem," Bucky responded.

"If you'd like, I can set up the couch for you," Adeline offered. Bucky glanced down at her lips, biting his own, knowing he wanted to accept the offer.

"I don't know if I should," Bucky said hesitantly.

"Come on, James, it's late," Adeline said, grabbing his hand. "Stay." Knowing the night impaired their judgement, Bucky was hesitant. However, he slowly nodded his head, allowing Adeline to guide him into her apartment.

"Goodnight, James," Adeline said, handing him a pillow, blanket and an extra set of his clothes.

"Goodnight, Adeline." Adeline bit her lip, finally getting on her toes, kissing his cheek then quickly retreating to her room. Bucky was left standing in the parlor, stunned and smiling.

|Saturday, December 24, 1938|

It was Adeline's last year in college. She would graduate with a degree in political science. Many told her over and over that she couldn't do it, that it was a man's job. However, that was only half of the battle. She knew all too well that she wouldn't find a job that would accept women. Being a politician was a man's job.

"I just don't know what to do," Adeline said to William, her older brother, as they walked around the snowy city. It was bitter cold and Adeline hugged her long coat close to her body. People walked about, all trying to get last minute Christmas gifts for their loved ones while staying out of the cold.

"You'll find something, I know you will," he said.

"Yeah, a single 21 year old woman with a useless degree," Adeline retorted.

"You're at the top of your class, I'm sure somewhere would take you, woman or not," William said.

"Easy for you to say," Adeline responded. "You're a man working for the government."

"Hey, that reminds me," he began, pulling out a flyer from his jacket pocket. He handed her the sheet of paper and Adeline flipped through it.

"A desk job?" Adeline asked.

"Hey, it's a start," William said.

"William, you know I can't leave Brooklyn," Adeline said, seeing that it was a job from D.C.

"Adeline," William began, "if you want a good job you're gonna have to look at places other than Brooklyn." Adeline sighed, looking at the flyer again. "Think about it," William encouraged. And that's what Adeline did. She thought about it for hours. If she took this job, that would mean that she would have to leave both Bucky and Steve. She tossed and turned in bed, unable to sleep. She eventually got out of bed, putting on a dress and undoing her curlers. She quietly went out of her apartment and made her way to the only person that could ease her mind.

She knocked on the door to Steve's apartment again.

"Steve!" Adeline whisper yelled. "Steve, come on! It's cold!" She heard shuffling and finally the door was opened. To her surprise, Bucky was on the other side.

"Bucky?" Adeline questioned. His hair was a mess as he ran a hand through it. Bucky was the last person she wanted to see at this hour of the morning.

"Adeline, what are you doing here?" He asked. "It's three in the morning."

"I just ... couldn't sleep," Adeline said. "What are you doing here?"

"Steve had a drink, brought him home," Bucky responded. "Did you walk here?"

"Just let me in you punk, it's cold," Adeline said, pushing Bucky to the side.

"So, what are you really doing here?" Bucky asked as she sat on the couch that he had been sleeping on.

"I told you, I couldn't sleep," Adeline said.

"Yeah, I got that, but what's the rest of the story?" Bucky pried.

"There's nothing else to add. I just have an overactive mind right now," Adeline said quickly. "Stop interrogating me, Barnes."

"Okay, okay," Bucky said, holding up his hands in defeat, walking to the kitchen to get a glass of milk. He walked back in, leaning on the door frame, his white shirt hung off of him loosely and the street lights cast a sickly yellow light across his face.

"You wanna talk?" He asked, snapping Adeline from her daze.

"No," Adeline said, knowing that once she started to talk, she wouldn't be able to stop.

"What's got you in such a bitter mood?" Bucky asked. "You're the one who came banging on the door at three in the morning." He ran a hand through his messed up hair causing Adeline to bite her lip.

"I'm just scared," Adeline admitted.

"Of what?"

"What's coming after this," Adeline said softly, her gaze focusing on her hands that rested on her lap.

"After what?"

"University," Adeline said. "I'm going to have a degree in political science. Not exactly a woman's job."

"I'm sure you'll find something," Bucky responded, sitting next to her. He really was oblivious. Adeline didn't want to tell him that in order to get a job, she might have to leave. It was too early in the morning to make such decisions. It was also too early to be making decisions on their relationship. She would've kissed him already if she didn't know how the night impaired her mind.

"Yeah, I'll find something," Adeline echoed, staring into his eyes, then down to his lips. "I really should be going." Adeline got up quickly, trying to avoid what she wanted so badly.

"Adeline, it's freezing out there," Bucky said, getting up after her, blocking her exit path. "You can take the couch."

"I really should be going," Adeline said again. "I haven't got any night clothes and I just really have to go." Adeline weaved around him, wanting to give in. However, Bucky's hand clasped around her wrist, pulling her back.

"Stay," Bucky said, his soft blue eyes convincing her. She nodded her head silently as he pulled her back to the couch. "Here," he said, tossing her a white t-shirt. "Sorry, it's the only one I've got."

"It's fine," Adeline said softly. It must've been the shirt he had worn that day as it smelled heavily of his cologne. Not that Adeline minded, it just made it harder for her to stay away from him. She went to the bathroom to change and she soon came out to find that Bucky was making his space on the floor with blankets.

"Buck," Adeline started and Bucky looked up from his task, his mouth hanging slack. "You don't have to sleep on the floor. You can take the sofa." Adeline waited for a response, but got none. "Bucky?" She asked.

"What?" He asked distractedly.

"I'll take the floor, you take the sofa," Adeline said again. He smiled, shaking his head.

"Not a chance doll," he said. "What kind of gentleman would I be if I let a pretty dame such as yourself, lie on the floor while I took the sofa?"

"A pretty bad one, I would assume," Adeline said with a slight chuckle. She took the sofa, covering herself with the thin sheet and sinking into the pillow that smelled like cologne, warm cotton, and a hint of the soap Bucky always used. Adeline could feel Bucky's eyes lingering on her. She could almost hear the gears turning in his head. Soon she felt a warm hand on her shoulder and soft lips come in contact with her temple.

"Goodnight, Adeline," he whispered. Adeline could only hum a response before she fell into a deep sleep.

~*~

It was Christmas Day and Adeline's whole family was over as well as the Barnes' and Steve. Adeline really wanted just a moment alone with Steve, but in a houseful of relatives and friends, it was hard. Adeline handed Bucky his drink as she took a sip of hers.

"Thanks, Adeline," Bucky said, taking the drink from her.

"Steve, could I have a moment with you?" Adeline asked.

"Uh, yeah, sure," Steve said, rather unsure.

"What's wrong, Adeline?" Steve asked as Adeline shut her door, taking a deep breath. She went over to her nightstand, pulling out the pamphlet for the job in D.C.

"What is this?" Steve asked, hesitantly taking it.

"It's my future," Adeline said. "Well, that's my only option other than being a housewife."

"And these are your only two options?" Steve asked, clearly upset.

"Steve, please, don't be mean," Adeline pleaded.

"I thought you always said that everything you ever needed was right here in Brooklyn," Steve accused, looking at the pamphlet.

"That was a long time ago," Adeline responded. "I'm not going to get a job here in Brooklyn. You know that, and I think Bucky knows that too."

"What about Bucky?" Steve asked.

"What about him?" Adeline questioned. "You and Bucky can function just fine without me. I know you can."

"No, Adeline, he's in love with you!" Steve shouted, tossing the pamphlet to the side. "You just can't see it, can you?"

"Steve," Adeline said softly.

"Adeline, come on," Steve said. "You can't seriously be considering this." Adeline didn't respond, she simply looked at Steve with sad eyes. He shook his head, walking past her. Adeline rubbed her temples, picking up the pamphlet. She thought Steve of all people would understand. She sat down on her bed, placing her head in her hands. Was it really worth it? To leave her friends, to leave everything behind. She wasn't going to find a job in Brooklyn. She had known that for a while now, not wanting to admit the harsh truth.

"Adeline?" There was a soft knock on her door. Adeline looked up to see Bucky standing in the doorway.

"What?" She asked, sniffling.

"A pretty dame like you shouldn't be alone on Christmas Day," he said with a small smile.

"Steve told you?" Adeline asked.

"Yeah," Bucky responded, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I figured this day would come sooner rather than later."

"I think we've all known for a while," Adeline responded as Bucky walked further into the room. He looked at the wall to his right where there were pictures pinned up of the three of them throughout the years.

"I remember when this one was taken," Bucky said, pointing at one of the older photos. Adeline looked at the photo Bucky was looking at. Adeline had a wrap around her right arm from Fat Al's dog, Bucky was in the middle, and Steve was on the right of Bucky. All three were smiling brightly and they had dirt on their faces. "You had that wrap on your arm, but that didn't stop you from climbing up that sycamore tree in the park." Adeline gave him a small smile. "When you came down, you punched the kid who said you couldn't do it."

"Yeah, that was when things were simpler," Adeline said. Bucky chuckled, looking down at his feet.

"I know I can't stop you from going to D.C. and neither can Steve," Bucky said, pausing for a moment. "I guess part of me always hoped that you'd be able to settle down, maybe have a family, but I know that's not you."

"Bucky..."

"And I guess that's why I was ... am always drawn to you," Bucky continued, looking back at the black and white photos pinned up on the wall. "Because I can't have you. Because you aren't the kind of woman who does what she's told. And no matter how much I don't want you to go, you should because if you didn't, you wouldn't be the Adeline that I grew to love. That wouldn't be you." Adeline looked at Bucky in astonishment. No words could describe how she felt. She was lost, her heart shattering into pieces, knowing she would have to leave him. He sighed, sitting next to her on the edge of her bed, brushing a stray lock of hair out of her face.

"Say something, Adeline," Bucky begged, looking from her eyes to her lips. Adeline didn't have anything to say as his thumb brushed her cheek. She was at a loss for words.

"Buck," she said softly, bringing her hand to cup his cheek. Her heart pounded against her chest as blood rushed to her face, turning her cheeks pink. She could smell his cologne and the champagne he was drinking before off of his breath. She could hear his breathing, slightly increased than what it was before. Her hand moved from his cheek to his chest, feeling his heart beneath his suit jacket, keeping her chocolate gaze on his ocean eyes. He slowly leaned in, pressing his lips against hers, softly at first. Adeline's lips worked with his as her heart beat rapidly and her stomach filled with butterflies. She placed her hands on either side of his face, holding him close as she fell back against the mattress, pulling Bucky on top of her. Bucky was the first to pull away, resting his forehead against Adeline's.

|Wednesday, May 31, 1939|

Neither Bucky nor Adeline talked much about the kiss. Neither of them were sure how to pursue anything after that. However, as the day for Adeline's departure for her job in D.C. grew nearer, the more she didn't want to leave. She had, surprisingly, been accepted for the job at the White House as one of President Roosevelt's personal advisors. She was thrilled with the job and so were Bucky and Steve, but they were all less enthusiastic when it came to her parting.

"Maybe you don't have to go," Bucky said as they stared up at the stars. Bucky had taken her to the outskirts of the city where they could actually see the stars. Steve insisted that he would stay back, claiming he felt ill, but Adeline knew that he was just trying to get them together.

"If I could stay, you know I would, Buck," Adeline responded, shifting from her position on her back to her side so she could look at Bucky.

"I know," he said softly. "I just don't want you to leave. Steve doesn't want you to leave."

"Hey, I'm only gonna be five hours away," Adeline said. "You guys can come visit me or I can come back for a weekend." There was silence between them and Adeline shifted to her back to look up at the stars.

"You remember when we first met?" Bucky asked.

"It was at Steve's right?" Adeline asked.

"Yeah, Steve had invited both of us to his place, thinking that we'd love each other," Bucky laughed.

"I think that was my first fistfight," Adeline admitted.

"Really?" Bucky asked.

"Yeah, I was five years old, how many brawls did you think I got in before that?" Adeline asked with a chuckle.

"I don't know, you were pretty good," Bucky said with a smile. "Hey, I have something for you. A parting gift." Bucky sat up, feeling around in his pants pockets. He handed a small box and inside was a thin gold chain.

"Bucky, you didn't have to," Adeline said. It wasn't much, but it meant everything to Adeline.

"They sell charms at that little jewelry shop a few blocks from the park. If you wanted, we could pick one out some time," Bucky said, his cheeks pink with embarrassment.

"Bucky this is perfect," Adeline said with a smile.

"I don't know what Steve and I are gonna do without you," Bucky admitted with a nervous laugh.

"You two will get into enough trouble," Adeline said with a small smile. "Make sure to write to me."

"Of course," Bucky responded. "Anything for you, doll."

|Thursday, June 1, 1939|

The train station was bustling as people were returning and departing, trying to keep track of their baggage. The smell of oil and machinery took over the platform as well as the noise from both the trains and the people made it hard to concentrate.

"You have everything?" Marie asked.

"Yes, mom," Adeline said.

"I love you." Marie was close to tears as she hugged her only daughter. "We are all so proud of you. Say 'hi' to William, okay?"

"I will," Adeline responded and Marie kissed her on the cheek again. Adeline hugged her two younger brothers and her father until she got to Steve and Bucky.

"Stay safe out there, Adeline," Steve said, trying to be supportive of his friend.

"I will as long as you two stay out of trouble," Adeline responded, trying not to let her tears spill. She gave Steve a tight hug.

"I will miss you," she said so only Steve could hear. She then turned to Bucky, pulling him in for a tight embrace.

"Keep an eye on him for me," Adeline whispered.

"I always do," Bucky responded as she breathed in his scent. She pulled away, wiping at her eyes, willing the tears not to fall. She grabbed her travel bags, turning around. She handed them to the assistant who brought them into the train car. Adeline willed herself not to look back, but she did. She looked to her family then to her two best friends. Steve's hands were shoved in his pockets, trying not to look sad. Bucky however, looked close to tears, yet refusing to let them fall. Adeline ran back, pulling Bucky and Steve in for the last time.

"Don't forget me," Adeline said softly.

"How could I forget my best girl?" Bucky asked, with a watery smile. The whistle on the train blew, signaling its departure.

"Go on, you'll miss it," Bucky urged. Adeline waved one last time before walking onto the train. She looked out the window as the people she loved grew smaller and smaller. The last person to turn their back was Bucky.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 477 75
!!ORIGINALLY KNOWN AS VESSEL!! 1943. The year of Captain America and the Howling Commandos but, what if there was more behind the story of the man in...
439K 10.4K 141
As an eighteen year old girl in Brooklyn, New York in the 1930's, falling pregnant unplanned is not on your agenda. So when it happens, it's needless...
3.1K 132 16
My second Marvel / Bucky Fanfic! Hope you enjoy! ***COMPLETED*** You are best friends with Bucky and Steve since you were 5 years old. You three we...
241K 7.2K 143
Y/N Rogers got the healthier genes compared to her twin brother, Steve. But they both got an equal amount of stupidness and stubbornness. Due to this...