Her Viking

By Jalisha_Love

Mariana moves from the U.S. to Norway, wanting to leave her old life and start a new one. Just like the mount... More

Chapter 1: Norway
Chapter 2: Encountering
Chapter 3: Chocolate Cake
Chapter 4: Invitation
Chapter 5: Dinner
Chapter 6: Dock
Chapter 7: 1st Day
Chapter 8: The Problem
Chapter 9: Accidental Touches
Chapter 10: Discussions
Chapter 11: What's wrong?
Chapter 12: Close
Chapter 13: Our Night
Chapter 15: Unwantedly Found
Chapter 16: Estephan
Chapter 17: No
Chapter 18: Not Your Daughter
Chapter 19: Staring
Chapter 20: Just Us
Chapter 21: Bun
Chapter 22: Court
Chapter 23: Broken End

Chapter 14: Dark

19.5K 587 36
By Jalisha_Love

It's Thanksgiving today but only for Mariana. She called everyone to see if they were busy tonight and busy was an understatement for them. One person didn't pick up twice. They even texted a week ago, even though it was five messages total. Swiping her car keys off the counter, Mariana heads downtown.

"E-Excuse me," Mariana catches the attention of an employee. "Do you know where Jean is?"

The employee tells her which aisle and points in the direction. Mariana rushes over. Jean is stocking shelves of toilet paper and hand towels. Her accelerating heart releases the pedal.

"Jean!"

"Mariana! What are you doing here? I've never heard you speak that loud."

"Y-Yes. You didn't pick up my phone calls."

"Oh honey, I haven't checked my phone since early this morning. I went to bed late last night and there's so much to restock on. I'm sorry. What is it you needed to tell me?" Jean tries to erase as much drowsiness from her voice.

"Are you working till late?"

"Yes."

"Okay. Do you know where Kage is? I called him but he didn't pick up..." Mariana trails off with her attention on the ground.

"He doesn't feel well today."

"He's sick," Mariana interprets to confirm.

"Yes. He called off of work and only answered my call this morning."

"Do you know where he lives?"

"I shouldn't tell you. That's for Kage to do."

"Please," Mariana softly pleads.

"Fine but you didn't hear it from me," Jean sasses with a playful look.

The house is dark brown. The wood is cracked and rotten. There are no houses around and all you see is mountains, hills, and the distant lake. There is no light illuminating. Mariana carries the bags of groceries as she careful walks towards the door. Knocking on the door and receiving no answer three times sets panic in her. Turning the knob and pushing, the door opens to her surprise. It wasn't even locked.

"H-Hello," Mariana calls with a soft tone.

Mariana quietly closes the entrance and proceeds further inside. Every step she takes the wood creeks. Mariana sets the bag of groceries on top of the table. A door specifically catches her eyes. It's further than all the other room doors.

Most of the furniture is old and broken. The house is so dusty that Mariana begins to cough. It seems like the house was abandoned years ago. The dust is thick indicating nothing's been touched. The windows are cracked or broken. Glass sitting at the bottom.

Tapping her knuckles against it, Mariana speaks. "H-Hello? Kage?"

"Go away!" His voice booms in a rasp, a coughing fit following after it.

Mariana opens the bedroom door despite his protest. The window is the only source of light which is not much. Kage is lying down shirtless with his comforter up to his waist. Tissues laying on the bed and floor. Kage's eye barely opens as he looks to see who it is.

"Hi Kage," Mariana mumbles softly.

"What are you doing here?" Mariana's chest clenches at how cold his tone is.

"I-I'm here t-to check on you."

"How do you know where I live?" Mariana doesn't answer. "Leave."

"No."

"What?"

"I said no. I am going to stay." Mariana does her best to keep her voice steady.

Kage grunts at this. He shuts his eyes, breathing heavily. Mariana moves to the side of his head and places her on his forehead. Tensing up, Kage rapidly grabs her wrist on reflex. Slowly letting go, he ignores her touch and closeness in proximity.

"Have you checked your temperature recently?"

No answer.

"It feels like you have a slight fever."

"I have a cold." Mariana nods at his statement.

"I called you twice... You didn't pick up. That's why I came to find you."

No answer."

"Today is Thanksgiving in my country. You celebrate by spending time with family and having dinner. I don't have any and everyone I know here is busy. Can I cook something for us?"

No answer.

Mariana scurries out of the room. Leaning her back against the door, sighing in relief. She is still not used to talking that much. Kage not answering didn't help her either. Opening the small refrigerator, she is met with the sight of nothing. The same thing goes for the cabinet.

"Good thing I bought food..." Mariana trails off, taking out the groceries from the bags.

Mariana is in the kitchen for a little over an hour. Kage was in and out of sleep the entire time. Mariana brings in the plates after a few trips back and forth. Carefully sitting on the edge of his bed, Mariana gently shakes him. His eyes flutter and cold blues show. Turning his head to the right, he notices Mariana next to him.

"What?"

"I made us food..." Kage couldn't be that cold after hearing despondency in her voice.

"Thank you." Mariana's lips twitch and contentment blossoms faintly.

Mariana and Kage eat in silence. Mariana humming a small tune every few minutes, lose in her thoughts. Kage's mind blank. She piles the empty plates on top of each other and sets them in the sink. Mariana hesitantly positions herself back in her previous spot now that Kage is sitting up. His eyes calculating.

"How did you find out where I live?" Mariana doesn't respond."Answer me. I won't ask again."

"I-I was just worried." Mariana clears her throat before continuing. "So I went around looking."

"Don't lie to me, Mariana." Kage is stern yet subtle when speaking.

"I can't say..." Mariana trails off tempted to tell him.

"I was Aunt Jean, wasn't it?"

No answer.

"I knew it." Kage coughs out. "Don't come here again."

"Why?"

"I don't want you here."

"Why?"

"I don't want you to see me like this!" Kage shouts. "I don't want you to see part of my past. I want to hide my choice of living conditions."

"I don't care. This is you. I want to know more of you."

Kage sighs and says, "Pease, for me, don't come back here."

Mariana nods. "You can live with me if you want..."

"What?" Kage questions, unsure if he heard correctly.

"Live with me," Mariana phrases again. "U-Until you fix y-your house. You don't have to s-stay all the time. My house is big enough for both of us... I have two bedrooms. We can have dinners together and more."

"Why are you offering this to me?"

"I care about you that's why. I want to be next to you..."

Kage thinks on it then smiles. "I guess I have to take your offer."

Mariana beams at him. She intertwines their hand with boldness. Kage raises an eyebrow but remains silent. Her glee is enough for him. Curiosity building up on how this is going to work out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 1.9K 61
PART II OF SIERRA'S LEONE What is love? If someone asked Sierra and Jonas, they would say: It's a bet. After making a multitude of bad choices, Sier...
26.9K 1.6K 39
18+ only "The fewer people that know the truth the better. And if this all goes smoothly, you two will be able to get divorced before the hockey sea...
10.8K 359 33
How do you learn to live again after a terrible tragedy? When part of your heart has been ripped from you, and you feel every day, like you should...
1.4K 25 1
Ivar meets a foreign woman whose family has recently moved to Kattegat. Despite their affinity for one another, the two cannot seem to get things rig...