All Her Broken Pieces

By Rcreamer

Sang Sorenson has been chewed up and spit out by life too many times. Abused by her stepmother. Neglected by... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue

Chapter 19

12.9K 513 106
By Rcreamer

Not my favorite chapter, but it's time for a Monday update! A little Corey love, and a little Volto mention/reveal because I watched too many crime shows last night so that's where my thought process took me today :) Hope you enjoy this, and some of you may call cliffy even though it's really not that bad..but Happy Reading anyways :)

*Sang*

"But Owen," Luke whines, pouting at his team lead.

"I'm sorry to do this just when you've returned from your candy date, but no one else can do this mission without getting caught or I would not be asking," Owen responds logically, and I can almost see the fight leaving Luke.

This is the reason we had both been redlined, or as Gabriel says we "had our asses electronically fucking fried," and informed our presence was needed at home as soon as humanly possible, bringing an abrupt end to a magical outing.

We'd barely made it through the door before he'd been asked to leave again, all the others had passed us coming through the front door of Axel's place, each leaving for their own duties in whatever is happening. Apparently a case they'd started way back before they'd gone abroad, one that had seemingly gone cold, had been revived after Corey and Victor hi a breakthrough in a hidden coded message. Now every last one of my men are rushing around hunting down a dangerous criminal codename Volto for the white mask he favors when kidnapping victims or putting drugs on the streets.

Luke sighs, bringing me out of my worried thoughts regarding my guys in the same area code as an unpredictable felon.

"Alright, I know this is important or you wouldn't have redlined us, but I want it on record that you cut my Dream time short so there's to be no complaining if I harp on yours in the future." With a smirk, he ignores several grumblings of protest and kisses me soundly before grabbing the mission file from Owen and hightailing it back out the door, swift like the blonde ninja he truly is.

I giggle at his hasty exit, only to laugh harder when I see Owen looking to the ceiling in exasperation. Hearing my humor, he sends me a glare with little heat behind it.

"Love, you wouldn't be laughing at me now would you?" He scolds and I shake my head, trying to look innocent, only to fail when more giggles escape.

"Do my ears deceive me, or are those the giggles of my future wife I hear?" Sean's voice interrupts whatever Owen was about to say, and he joins us in the living room looking as if he was about to leave as well. "It is you! Pookie, do you need the cure?" I choke down the giggles, knowing now is probably not the most appropriate time for my first kiss with Sean, as that's what I'm assuming is his way to silence my giggling. Not that I would really complain if he went ahead and did it anyway, I think slyly before blushing red and internally yelling at myself for such thoughts, not the time, Sang!

Seeing my reddening face, Sean grins evilly and Owen looks thoughtful. "Now, now, Pookie, what has you so red? You wouldn't happen to be having impure thoughts about your favorite doctor would you?" He gasps in mock horror before swooping down to plant a kiss on the corner of my mouth and whispering huskily into my ear. "We'll discuss your treatment later."

Clearing his throat, Sean backs up from my now flaming face with a bright smile before he too walks out the door to do whatever his part of today's craziness might be, leaving me alone with Owen once more.

"I might have to agree with Sean on this one, that blush of yours reveals interesting things, I'll have to explore that at a later date. As for right now I'm afraid I have to leave as well, My Love." I frown at his words, wondering if they really expect me to just sit here twiddling my thumbs while they're chasing after a dangerous man, because right now that's what it looks like; however, I'm holding out hope that they can't possibly be that dumb.

"Owen, what can I do to help? Surely, you don't expect me to sit around doing nothing in all of this," I state, no question about it and a wave of relief nearly knocks me over when he smirks and nods his head.

"Of course not, we all know how valuable of an asset you are to this family, and left alone you would only get into more trouble. No, I believe you have some expertise with coding?" He prompts and I nod, getting an idea of the tedious task he'll leave me with, "good, then if you would be so kind as to help Corey, and possibly Victor if his task finishes early, to get through Volto's security. We were able to swipe his phone and Corey managed to get into his home system files." Yep, I was right, he's leaving me to stare at computer screens, with a possibly for hacking, the only job that can be done entirely from with the walls of the apartment.

They think they're so clever, I mentally scoff at their overprotective natures. By the look on Owen's face, he believes he's going to get away with this unnoticed, think again, you sexy butthead.

Feeling a smug look of my own affix itself to my face, I smirk back at him. "Alright, Handsome, I'll let your caveman tendencies go this time, but don't think we won't be discussing this once all the chaos is dealt with." I almost laugh at his over dramatic sigh, and he hangs his head in resignation.

"I wouldn't dream of it-" lie "-now come here so I can kiss you goodbye." Without further prodding, I fall into his arms and let him do just that, only pulling back when we're both breathless.

Owen looks as ruffled as I do, taking several moments to pat down his mussed hair and reorient his shirt and tie from where my hands roamed a little. "Bye Owen, be safe and come home to me," I tell him seriously and his eyes soften to a warm silver.

Lightly brushing his hand to my cheek, he nods before heading to the door, glancing back at the last moment before knocking me over with the emotion in his gaze. "I love you, Sang. I promise we will all come home safe." Without giving me a chance to tell him I love him too, he disappears out the door, leaving me standing in the living room staring longingly at the door.

I give myself maybe 30 seconds to reflect on what just happened before I resolve to just attack hug him when he comes back and say it then. Satisfied with my plan of action, I find where I dropped my bag and retrieve it to head over to Brandon and Corey's place where all his computer stuff is, which is also where I'm likely to find him.

Crossing the hallway to their apartment, I pull out the ring of keys the guys had given me a week ago, claiming that it was a "safety thing" that I be able to access any of their places if need be. Well, Raven said it was so I could drop in on him whenever I wanted, like when he was in the shower and couldn't get to the door is what he said. He also gave me an open invitation to join him in there whenever I wanted, but I chose to ignore that for the sake of my ovaries that wanted to explode.

"Corey?" I shout when I open the door, knowing he'll yell back with his exact location or a warning if he's not decent, a system I'd worked out with the guys after one to many towel incidents.

"My room!" My assumption was correct, he's in his geek heaven likely hundreds of lines of coding deep into today's assignment.

Heading that way, I smile when I see him staring intently into computer screens still in his pajamas, my poor genius probably hasn't slept since they hit the firewall last night.

Walking over I toe off my shoes and pull around the second rolling chair, sitting next to him and running my eyes over everything he's currently working on to figure out where I could jump in without upsetting his flow. It takes no time at all to zero in on the third screen running several algorithms that he's barely even eyeing as he types on another keypad.

In silence we work together for a long while, each typing code and breaking down the walls upon walls of security, this Volto guy must have valuable information in here to be so guarded, no one innocent needs this much protection. Eventually, there's a break in the action when we hit another wall and his programs need to run themselves through before they need our attention again. Pulling back, Corey and I both stand and stretch before flopping back on his bed facing each other.

"Thanks, Sunshine, it was getting harder to catch everything without a second set of eyes and hands," he tells me seriously, his expression is so earnest that I have to smile at him.

"Anytime you need me, Sunny," I test the nickname I've thought of for him for a while, finding I like the way it sounds, especially with his bright, sunny disposition.

"Sunny?" He questions, the smile on his face telling me he doesn't hate it, but I still blush slightly.

"Yeah, you're such a bright person, full of life and quick with a sunny smile that lights up a room. Plus you call me sunshine so I thought it fit, do you not like it?" Embarrassed, I tuck my face into one of his pillows.

A light chuckle from him precedes gentle hands turning me back to him and pulling me forward until I'm resting half on top of him and half off. "I like it, that's kind of how I think of you, the girl with hair the color of the sun and makes everything brighter, like darkness can never touch me as long as I have you," he whispers the last part and I lift myself up so I can see his face, only to find his eyes shadowed and slightly glazed.

"Hey, where'd you just go, Sunny?" I ask him softly, wanting to make the shadows disappear like I do with his twin who's eyes always look sad.

He shakes his head as if to clear it before settling back into the mattress. "I was just thinking about my parents. Brandon and I never had the easiest time of things when we were younger, our mom always pushed me to be a scientist and focus on academics while our dad forced Brandon into football and a life he didn't want. Eventually I started acting out, hacking into things I shouldn't have, something that would have gotten me thrown into juvie if it weren't for my brother. He saved me and then we saved each other when we got out of our house and became the people we actually wanted to be.

I was thinking of a time when none of us had any light in our lives but each other until you came. You with your sweet smiles, kind eyes, and beautiful heart have completely lit up our world and I can't help but think I have the best nickname for you," he smiles at the end of it, joking like he didn't just say the most amazing thing ever, not to mention that's the most I've ever heard him say at once. "Sorry, I didn't mean to totally unload on you like that, I just, you're easy to talk to and you're so pretty that I just-" I cut off his words with a kiss, because if he didn't stop talking I might've just proposed.

With no hesitation he kisses me back, and we exchange gentle pecks util he pulls back with shock written all over his gorgeous face. "What was that for?" I giggle a little at his wide eyed stare.

"Just because I love you, Sunny Boy," I smile a him and his signature sunshiney grin breaks across his previously somber face.

"Really? That's, wow, I love you too, 100%. I thought maybe you didn't like me that way because you got uncomfortable when Raven and I hugged you this morning. Do you mean I love you in like a friend sort of way...no, friends don't kiss each other like that, well, I've kissed Raven like that when we were friends, but-" As adorable as his rambling is, I once again cut him off with a kiss before pulling back to see him flush red to the tips of his ears.

"Corey, I mean in love with you, and I wasn't uncomfortable with you and Raven, just the opposite in fact. I only pulled away because you took me by surprise and Brandon was in the room with us," I tell him and his face instantly clears before he blushes even darker.

"Oh," is all he says back and I giggle again.

"Are we all clear now?" I tease him and his chest rumbles as his flips us to where he's leaning over me to kiss me quickly.

"All clear, I love you and you love me, and I like the way your lips taste." The uncharacteristically cheeky comment from my quiet genius takes me off guard and I stare at him in shock before deciding to go the safe route and change the subject.

"Um, well, thank you? I think we should check on the computers now," I squeak out inelegantly and Corey laughs at my escape as I slip out from under him and practically throw myself back into the rolling chair.

I hear him stand and go to his place next to me with a laugh. "Alright, just thought you should know," his final teasing remark sets off another blush for me, and I see even his ears pinken as we focus back on the task at hand, the computers only now finishing the primary run through.

For the next two hours, all thoughts of love and kissing are set to the back recesses of my mind as the data within a criminal's hard drive starts to be revealed and I finally find what we're looking for. To my surprise, there was a hidden file within several others that held all the evidence we need to nail Volto, I almost didn't see it.

"Corey!" I shout, startling him out of his own hacker zone, causing him to spin too quickly in his chair and landing with a thud on the floor.

Standing swiftly he leans over my shoulder to see what has me shouting and I hear him take a sharp breath when he sees the file with a full ledger and address for all of Volto's latest dealings. The biggest shock however, is that this file also holds his true identity, and I'm worried about the reaction of the others when they find out who'd betrayed them.

"No." Corey's harsh whisper pulls me back to the present, and I spin slowly to stand in front of him.

Taking his face in my hands, I pull his face to look away from the screen, and my heart pangs when I see the pain and confusion in his cerulean blue eyes, almost identical to his brother's now with the sadness they hold. "He lied to us, how could I have missed this?" he whispers and I shake him slightly to bring him back to me.

"I'm so sorry," I tell him sincerely, "I know you won't believe me now when I say this, but this was not your fault. I know you guys were close, but people change and there's nothing you or anyone else could have done," he nods but he's in shock, my words won't hit him until much later when the dust settles.

Then he finally breaks a little and falls to the floor with me in his lap as he breathes hard into my neck, holding me tight. "I thought he was my friend," he croaks and I hold him tighter.

"I promise you that everything will be okay, you and your brothers have each other, and I'll be here. We'll get through this together."

He turns quiet, losing himself in his thoughts for awhile and I pull out my phone to call Owen and Axel.

"Handkerchief," Owen says upon answering and I hear Axel asking who it is from what sounds like a car.

"Laptop," I respond in kind and I hear him sigh in relief.

"Love, tell me you've found something," he orders.

"We broke through the last firewall, all the evidence you need is in there to send this guy to jail for life, as well as an address," I tell him and I hear shouts of celebration.

"Thank goodness, anything else?"

I swallow roughly. "Yes, we also know Volto's true identity."

A moment of silence goes by. "Who is it?"

Taking a deep breath, I tell him the news that will kill part of our family.

"Owen...Volto...it's Kevin."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

240K 14.7K 55
The international singing sensation, Ghost Bird, is a name known around the world. No one knows who the mysterious singer is, but everyone knows her...
177K 10.5K 42
COMPLETED Mad: •Insane •Very angry •Great, remarkable Sang Sorenson is mad. Very mad. But growing up in the mafia with an abusive family, who wouldn'...
529K 25.5K 58
Sang Sorenson doesn't understand what is normal. She has been abused by her family and heard two voices in her head her whole life. The Blackbourne...
58.5K 3.3K 38
Sang Sorenson is a girl going through heartbreak. Everything was going perfectly, but the moment she let her guard down, that was the moment she rem...