Mercy

By zeffervescent

"We are the kids our parents warned us about." Teenage rebellion. Everyone goes through that stage, with sim... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twentyone
Chapter Twentytwo
Chapter Twentythree
Chapter Twentyfour
Chapter Twentyfive
Note
Chapter Twentysix
Chapter Twentyseven
Chapter Twentyeight
Chapter Twentynine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirtyone
Chapter Thirtytwo
Chapter Thirtythree
Chapter Thirtyfour
Chapter Thirtyfive
Chapter Thirtysix
Chapter Thirtyseven
Chapter Thirtyeight
Chapter Thirtynine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Fortyone
Chapter Fortytwo
Chapter Fortythree
Chapter Fortyfour
Chapter Fortyfive
Chapter Fortysix
Chapter Fortyseven
Chapter Fortyeight
Chapter Fortynine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fiftyone
Chapter Fiftytwo
Chapter Fiftythree
Chapter Fiftyfour
Chapter Fiftyfive
Chapter Fiftysix
Chapter Fiftyseven
Chapter Fiftyeight
Chapter Fiftynine
Chapter Sixty

Chapter Eighteen

142K 3.3K 4.2K
By zeffervescent

Boom Clap by Charli XCX - this song is on The Fault in Our Star's soundtrack and it makes my heart literally boom clap. By the way, if you haven't seen The Fault in Our Stars -- please go see it. It made me cry so much and it really reflects on the people with the same struggles as the characters go through. 

We were at Emily's house while her mother was out. She was surprised to see us at her door, but in no time she was grinning with that look in her eyes. She had questions for me about Harry and what's been going on with us I bet. I shot her a small smile when we were up in her room, Belle and Harry waiting for me downstairs. 

"Spill." She immediately squealed, shutting the door behind her. 

I sighed heavily, a smile still on my lips. I found myself wanting to talk about it. Wanting to spill out the emotions of my excitement and my feelings. It hasn't happened in a while since forever. I just felt my hands tremble and shake at the thought, a shaky breath leaving my lips. All because Harry was making me feel a way nobody else could. 

I'm usually the one to fall for the bad boy type. The type that seem like they will break your heart. Not in fact only break it, but step on it repeatedly and squeeze the blood right out of it. I fall for the type that aren't afraid to show what they've got and aren't so emotional. I am not afraid to admit it. I'm a dumb chooser. There are so many sweet guys, but I like the ones that are the complete opposite. Riley was a tiny crush and I'm glad Tiffany told me to give that one up. 

Harry, however...with him it's becoming something real. Not a fling or anything that is simply a joke. I'm actually feeling this way, and it's a scary thing when the feeling is so foreign. 

I crossed my legs on her bed while she tossed clothes at me from her closet. I'm in need of a shower and borrowing Emily's clothes. "We're going on a date tonight." Is all I told her. She hummed, clearly wanting to hear more than that. "And I really like him." 

"You really have no clue how to express your feelings, do you?" Emily laughed as she turned around, handing me a small shirt. "Only one that would fit you, since you know...I'm fat." 

There was no other way putting it besides I hateabsolutely loath when one of my friends calls herself either fat or ugly. I cannot stand the word itself. And for it to be used as a description for my friends annoys the hell out of me. "Excuse me?" I snapped, an eyebrow raised at her as she frowned at me. "Why would you ever fucking call yourself fat?" Now I'm angry. 

"Because I am, Serenity." 

"You are not fat. Go on Google and search fat people and I bet you won't fucking be there. And you'll look nothing like them. Emily...that's just ridiculous!" I shouted, standing up from the bed. She crossed her arms over her chest, looking down at her feet. I knew now that someone else stuck the idea in her head. "Who called you fat?" 

"No one," she murmured. 

I inhaled deeply. "Who. Called. You. Fat?" I repeated through a clenched jaw. 

"Wayne!" She shouted back, tears finally making their way down her cheeks. 

My head felt hot as I growled like a dog. I'm angry. I can't find the words to explain how absolutely pissed I am at Wayne. First of all, Emily is thick, she is not fat. Sure she's got big thighs and her arms aren't as thin but she's got a flat stomach. She's absolutely gorgeous and I'm not just saying it because she's my best friend. Her face isn't round, it is heart-shaped. A lot of girls wished they had that face shape. 

"Wayne is an asshole! And besides that, he is dumb as f*ck, too!" I screamed at her, knowing that my anger is just like a volcano erupting. Hot, molten magma rising to the surface and exploding all over my words. It makes my face feel hot and my neck iches. 

She shook her head, sniffling. "I heard him tell Zayn I'm just a fat joke. The worst part is that I like Zayn...a lot! And now he probably thinks I'm fat, too. I'm a freaking joke!"

Emily crying is the most awful sight. Her face gets cherry red, her eyes are swollen and pink, and she just has this horrible painful look on her face like she's been shot and can't breathe. It makes my heart hurt. Wayne is going to fucking die when I'm done with him. There will be no mercy or any tapping out. I will not stop until he is apologizing to Emily with a broken nose and two black eyes. Two. 

"Why would he say that about you to Zayn?" I asked her, horrified. 

"B-because Zayn told him that he likes me...and....and I overheard the entire conversation. Wayne got all mad because he thinks Zayn can do better." She slumped on her bed, crying softly. "I wouldn't blame him! I look like a sack of potatoes!" 

It doesn't matter if someone calls me fat. I'll cry about it and then get over it. But Emily...Oh Emily takes things to heart and she won't stop until she thinks she's thin enough. It scares me. The possibilities as to where this could lead to are endless. 

"Emily," I sighed, sitting down next to her and wrapping my arms around her shoulders. "I'm going to call Harry into this --" 

"No!" She screamed, horrified and jumping off the bed. "I don't need to hear Harry tell me how fat I am, too! Are you fucking --" 

"Harry!" I shouted, opening the door. "Harry!" 

Emily sighed heavily behind me, throwing herself on the bed again. I heard footsteps and soon enough at the top of the stairs Harry was walking with Belle in his arms. He gave me a frown. "Yeah, babe?" 

"I need your opinion on something," I let the door open as he walked in behind me to reveal Emily on her face, lying down with her arms spread and her legs as well. She was completely lifeless. Harry only glanced at her before giving me a look that meant "where is this going". I only shook my head as he put Belle down to look around and touch Emily's stuff. 

Harry sighed, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning against the closed door. "Yeah, okay, sure." 

I made sure to cut on the swearing for Belle's sake. "Your a hole of a friend, Wayne, called Emily fat. And now she's here crying her eyes out because she likes Zayn and she thinks Zayn feels the same way as Wayne." I told him, and before Harry could react, I heard Belle gasp. 

"That is just wrong!" She frowned, crawling over to Emily on the bed. I wanted to smile as I watched the little girl sit on Emily's back, poking her shoulder and playing with her hair. At one point she began to softly pat Emily's hair, like she was trying to calm her shaking from the sobs. 

Harry glanced over at them both on the bed before looking at me. "Wayne is dumber than a sack of potatoes." 

Emily cried louder into her pillow. What is it with people and sack of potatoes? 

I groaned, throwing my hands into my face, shaking my head. Harry's eyes widened. "What did I say?" 

"Nothing." I brushed it off. "But do you think Emily's fat? And be honest." 

"I'm not going to lie," he began, "but you're not fat at all. Fat is when you've ran thirty seconds and you're completely out of breath. Fat is when your arm flab can stretch over your face, okay?" He spoke to Emily like a dad, firm and assertive. I grinned triumphantly when Emily turned over, almost knocking Belle over but she held the little girl close. 

Sniffing, Emily rubbed her eyes with her free hand as the other held Belle. "You really think so, Harry?" 

"I do. And if you don't mind, I'm meeting up with them after I drop you girls off at the mall. We're going to have a little chat, and maybe a couple of punches. Most likely from me." He sat at the edge of the bed, pulling me by the hips to sit on his lap while I smiled over at Emily. "Serenity's thighs are a little big for a slim girl, but I love them because she's got a huge butt." 

I slapped his chest while Emily laughed and Belle screwed up her face in confusion. "Harry, leave my thighs alone." 

"They're perfect," he whispered into my ear before laughing. I leaned against him as Emily sat up, looking over at Belle for the first time. 

"So are you Harry's baby sister?" she asked Belle, who only nodded silently with her bright green eyes big and staring at Emily. "Aw, you're so cute!"

"I'm Belle." She grinned and hugged Emily with her little arms around her neck while she stood on the bed. "I think you're not fat." 

"Thank you, Belle." Emily smiled, rubbing the toddler's back before inhaling deeply. "So are we gonna go?" 

-

I hoped into the shower quickly after the whole dilema with Emily was over. The shirt she handed me was a white t-shirt she's had for a while. It was a v-neck and my only problem was the amount of cleavage visible because of it. As we were walking out of her house, I pulled it up more. 

"Better pull it up," Harry grumbled beside me. 

Laughing softly, I sent him a smirk. "How about I just flash every guy I see?" 

"Don't test me." He warned, narrowing his eyes at me. I chuckled again, shaking my head as he draped his arm over my shoulder. Even though he was frowning, I knew he wasn't upset at all. I pressed my fingers to the corners of his mouth, trying to turn his lips up into their usual cheeky smirk. But he only glanced at me with a cold glare, looking ridiculous with my fingers making him grin. 

Looking up at him, I still hadn't removed my fingers when he pressed his lips to mine so fast I barely saw it coming. I laughed onto his lips; a sloppy, wet kiss shared between the two of us. 

"Stop kissing my best friend and drive, curls!" Emily yelled from inside his car. Harry bit my lip before pulling away, making me whine as he jogged away from me. 

Emily buckled Belle up in the back as I opened the passenger seat door. I sat down with my heart fluttering when I went to look at Harry, and he was already staring over at me. As he started the car, he smirked at me with the same cheeky, flirty look that I came to love out of hating it so much before. I couldn't manage to smile or blush, but I only stared at him with wonder. Wondering how we got here so fast. 

I don't care how. I'm just glad it happened. 

The radio was turned on while we drove, no one saying a word. Belle was singing softly to the song, and Emily joined her soon after. I turned up the song, liking it and to be honest it was a bit catchy. Harry seemed to roll his eyes at the choice of music, but he only moved his head to it, finding it catchy, too. I stared out the window, listening to the music and smiling to myself.

All I could think about is Harry and I. What makes me feel this way? What makes Harry so different from every other guy? Besides his look, clearly. But there is something else that makes me feel all good inside. He's another troublemaker my parents would hate, with a lip ring and a few tattoos. The total bad boy look, and he's got a criminal record to prove it. Even though he's a total sweetheart at times, I guess I like that. He's my type, always has been but I was too angry and annoyed to admit it. We're no opposites. We're the same people, different gender and physical appearances. If we had been a horrible situation, we'd have the same gut instincts. 

How he manages to make me feel good and make me feel like I'm not some failure is completely beyond me. I'm someone to him, not a working slave like I am to my mother. I'm my own self around my friends and him, and I'm appreciated and accepted. That's what probably attracts me to them. Or to Harry in general. He can be my stupid cliche bad boy, my gushy boyfriend, and my annoying friend all at once.

He's all three without trying. 

"Remember," he said as he stood outside the passenger door with me, his hands on my hips while Emily and Belle waited at the entrance of the mall with annoyed scowls on their faces. "By three o' clock I'm coming to pick you guys up, which is like in three hours. That's enough time to go shopping, right?" 

"Yes, Harry." I rolled my eyes as he kept rambling. 

"And remember about the food. And her allergies? Do you know what they are?" 

"Harry --" I began, now finding this over dramatic. 

"No. What are they? I need to make sure you kn-" 

"Strawberries. Wheat. And red food dye," I said slowly, leaning in to peck his lips and whisper, "Now goodbye, Styles." 

I jogged away from him without turning around, walking with the girls beside me as Emily immediately told me where we should go first. Belle held onto my hand tightly, the other holding Emily's. She beamed at her surroundings, looking at the different stores and the people. Harry takes her out a lot, but I guess the mall was never a big one. 

Harry: 

I'm not going to be gushy and soft about it. But Serenity makes me feel...new. Yeah, she can be really annoying and I'm annoying, too. Which makes us a perfect couple. We're both very complicated, but I guess that's what makes us good together. Plus, we're both hot. If we had children, no doubt they'll be hot, too. 

Focus, I told myself. I am angry at Wayne for calling Emily fat. I may not care much about Emily and she's not a close friend of mine, but she is Serenity's. Plus, I know Serenity at that moment was willing to murder the guy. I'm not blaming her. I'm about to do it myself. If Zayn likes Emily, Wayne should be happy for him rather than pointing out the girl's flaws. It just makes me angry, and I don't know why. I know if someone were to do it to Serenity, I would pull someone's head off. 

Sighing heavily, I pulled up at their house. It was bigger than mine, and much fancier. They have buttlers and everything. That explains why we're all arrogant assholes. I rolled my eyes as I saw a group of girls, in short mini dresses of different colors, come out of their front door followed by a grinning Wayne who waved the girls goodbye, "Bye girls." 

As I got out of my car, the passing group of girls giggled and stared at me. "Hey, Harry," they all said at different starting points. I just glanced at them, not really caring. Any other time I'd be grinning back and saying hey, but I came to Wayne's house for only one reason. Plus, I'm sure Serenity would give me a black eye if I said hi back to the group of girls. 

I stalked towards Wayne who was squinting at me, eyebrows raised. "Hey, dude, what's up?" 

Glaring, I pushed against his chest. "How would you feel if I made fun of how small your d*ck is, huh!?" I shouted, feeling my face hot. "And what if I told those girls back there, huh?! Would you fucking like it, you ass!?" 

Wayne stumbled back in his robe, eyes widening at my abrupt anger. "What the fuck is your problem, dude!?" 

"My problem?! Why would you ever call a girl fat!? And even tell the dude she likes that she's a fucking joke?!" I was shouting so loud my throat burned. As if on cue, Zayn showed up from the top of the stairs, watching our encounter silently. I only glanced up at him with anger. He was in his boxers, and a girl was walking behind him. Maybe I should show him a piece of my mind. 

Wayne glared at me with he same anger I stared at him with. "I didn't know she liked Zayn! And I had no clue she heard us! Plus, you know she's a little bigger than the usual girls Zayn likes! I'm just telling the truth. If she wants Zayn she might as well lose a couple of pounds. It wouldn't kill anyone except her calories!" 

This asshole. 

"You're so fucking unbelievable! I can't believe I was friends with you!" I yelled, pushing his chest again as he stumbled back a few more times before regaining his balance. He straightened his black robe, eyes narrowed.

"Since when are you like this, huh? Since Serenity with the huge t*ts and butt suddenly likes you and wants you as her little bad boy?! You're being a little bitch! Damn, Harry, I didn't think she'd get you all soft and lovey dovey so fast," he chuckled bitterly. 

My fist raised all on its own, but Zayn shouted, "Harry!" With my hand still in the air and Wayne crossing his arms over his chest, I glanced up at Zayn who was rushing down the stairs. 

"What do you want, Zayn? You had to sleep with a skinny girl with nothing to grab so you can try to forget Emily? Because I know damn well you like her, and you let your asshole of a brother get you all insecure about it. You know who's the real bitch here? You. I'm only standing up for a woman like a real man should, you fuckheads." I gnarled, putting my hand down but I won't hesitate to punch the hell out of both these sad excuses for men. 

Zayn stared at me, jaw clenched. He couldn't say a word because he knew I was right. He stared down at the floor behind me, releasing his clenched jaw the more he thought about it. Wayne rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "So many girls, Harry. So many girls that aren't as bitchy and annoying as Serenity, and she's the one who picks at your berry tree?" 

I shot him a look before swinging my hand, my knuckles connected with his jaw. Wayne grunted, his face turning with the impact. As he whipped back to look at me, he had blood oozing out of his lip where it popped as I punched it. I clenched my jaw, breathing heavily. 

"Don't you fucking dare to come near me anymore. We're not friends. Go fuck yourselves." 

As Wayne rubbed his jaw, icy glare on me, I turned around to walk away, well aware that I should be on alert if he were to fight back. But he's a little bitch. He wouldn't dare to fight me, knowing my height and my strength are my two best advantages he cannot overcome.

When I walked out to my car, I heard Zayn yelling, "Harry! Harry, wait!" 

I kept walking, rubbing my knuckles because they hurt from punching that asshole so hard. I wasn't in the mood to talk to the other twin, the one in charge for Emily's feelings and he doesn't even know what to do with his own. Maybe I am being different with the whole thing and maybe it is because of Serenity. But I've realized that if I want this to work, I need to get my shit together. And Zayn has no clue how to do that. 

"Harry," he breathed when I reached my car. "Just fucking listen to me!" He yelled. "Please." 

"What?" I snapped. "What do you want to tell me? That you like her but you don't know how to deal with these new emotions?" I mocked. "Maybe you should settle on being a manwhore because that's working pretty well for Wayne." I spat sarcastically. 

He sighed, shaking his head. "I know. You're right. You've always been the better guy out of us. That's why girls stuck to you more. We're assholes. And I know I'm being an ass about the Emily thing but the truth is...I don't know how I feel about her." 

"Don't let her weight be a problem 'cause then you'll really be a d*ck. She's not even fat and you know it. And I'm not gonna be all damn cliche and say looks don't matter because that's not true. But just stop and think about her feelings and how she's feeling. You know how girls are," I firmly explained to him, not wanting to waste my time any longer. 

He stood there silent and still as I drove away. 

A/N: I think Wayne got what he deserved, right? What did you think of Harry's outburst? Was it just him or was it Serenity that made him feel that way?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 39.5K 79
First Instalment Everyone goes through dark times. Times where your world is turned upside down, when everything seems to fall apart around you and t...
930K 37.1K 47
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
39K 1.4K 14
Amy wants a night out with her best friend Jessica to celebrate moving on from her abusive ex and finishing one of her finals. Jess thinks her brothe...
3K 58 9
"She didn't want to disappoint anyone who would eventually find out she wasn't the same, kind Hermione Granger. She was a clone that just looked like...