History of past time

By Haileeconklin

History facts and info I bet you didn't know. More

Domesticated dogs descended from an ice age European wolf, study says,
What caused the "Scramble for Africa"?
Why sports history is American history
Jupiter played a large part in the evolution of the solar system
Caught On Camera: The green sea turtle
Paw choice? Cats show paw preferences
What Was the Boxer Rebellion
The Treaty of Paris of 1783
Telling time through the ages
Scientists Study Anti-aging Drugs for Dogs

Heavenly pair: chocolate and Valentine's Day

25 0 0
By Haileeconklin

Ever since movies became the biggest thing, chocolate has been dedicated as the symbol of love. Jean Harlow’s performance in the "Dinner at Eight" in 1933, forever linked chocolate to love.  She is seen in the film lounging in bed on a heart-shaped pillow, she eats through a big box of chocolates. Turns out that chocolate really has a huge history as a love icone, passion for chocolate is seen in early years. The Theobroma cacao tree that is native to South America, produces seed pods. People crack them open and remove the seeds, which are called cacao beans. Cacao beans were highly prized items among rich Mayans and Aztecs. Cacao beans were just as valuable as gold, they could be seen using cacao beans to pay taxes charged by Aztec rulers. The origin of Valentine’s Day is attributed to many different early Christians that were named Valentine. However, there is another theory that the romantic holiday seems to appear first in writer Geoffrey Chaucer’s 1382, poem “Parlement of Foules.” Chaucer describes love when “every bird cometh to choose his mate” on “seynt Voantynes day.”  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.7K 2.5K 32
Childhood marriages are common in 1500 BC . My friends are married already but I am still waiting for that day. Though I was betrothed to Udaipur p...
5.7M 372K 74
Losing this war means captured by the enemy empire and considered as their prostitutes and servants. Dreaming that situation made my heart race even...
6.5K 104 98
The ancient saying goes: Most generals come from Guan Xi, while ministers come from Guan Dong. He Lisa was born to be a Star General. She was merely...
Erica By Sam

Historical Fiction

2.7M 149K 88
They say her voice was once bewitching to all who heard it. She was like a siren luring sailors to their deaths on quiet nights... Those are just rum...