Not the Only One (Book 1 in t...

By eternalfelicity

When we don't know who to turn to, sometimes we turn to the ones we least expect. Luke Salazar is a senior at... More

Author's Note - January 2020
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six - April 21, 2018
Forty-Eight - April 23, 2018
Forty-Nine - April 23, 2018
Fifty - April 28, 2018
Fifty-One - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Two - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Three - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Four - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Five - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Six - May 4, 2018
Fifty-Seven - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Eight - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Nine - May 5, 2018
Sixty - May 5, 2018
Sixty-One - May 9, 2018
Sixty-Two - May 10, 2018
Sixty-Three - May 13, 2018
Sixty-Four - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Five - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Six - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Seven - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Eight - May 17, 2018
Sixty-Nine - May 20, 2018
Seventy - May 25, 2018
Seventy-One - May 25, 2018
Seventy-Two - May 26, 2018
Seventy-Three - May 28, 2018
Seventy-Four - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Five - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Six - June 1, 2018
Seventy-Seven - July 29, 2018
Seventy-Eight - July 30, 2018
Seventy-Nine - August 11, 2018
Epilogue - August 2020
Author's Note

Forty-Seven - April 21, 2018

690 84 132
By eternalfelicity

Rachel

I woke up to the sun shining on my face, and not through a window.... I opened my eyes and remembered – I was on Miles' pool deck, in a chaise lounge, his arms around me.

And we had sex last night.

Holy shit. I'm not a virgin anymore.

A slow smile spread over my face as I remembered every detail about last night. It was perfect... everything I had ever imagined and more. I turned over on my side and gently pushed his hair back off his forehead. He was still peacefully at sleep, eyes closed, his long eyelashes almost brushing his cheeks. My eyes ran over his face – his skin tan, smooth, blemish-free. God, he's beautiful. I used to think he "knew it," but now I knew that wasn't true. It had all been an act – an act that would allow him to fit in with his teammates and friends.

He must've felt me staring at him because his face twitched slightly and his eyelids fluttered open. As soon as he focused on me, his mouth broke open into a smile.

"Good morning, gorgeous," he murmured, kissing my forehead.

"Good morning," I said, nuzzling against his bare chest.

"How did you sleep?"

"The best I've slept in months," I said truthfully, looking up at him.

"Good. I mean, after last night, you had to be tired," he said, winking.

I blushed but forced myself to say what I wanted to say. "It was perfect, Miles. It was more than I ever could have imagined or asked for. Thank you," I whispered.

"You're thanking me? Rachel, what you gave me last night was..." He shook his head like there were no words. "It was amazing, baby," he said, pressing his forehead against mine.

"It really was." Suddenly a thought crossed my mind and I let out a little bark of a laugh.

"What?" he asked, sitting up a little more and looking down at me in amusement.

I sat up and grabbed another towel from the table next to me, pulling it around my bare chest.

"Don't get mad... I was just thinking about how not even 2 months ago, Brooke had given you my phone number and I was SO mad at her for doing that. I told her I was so disgusted by it. I basically cussed her ass out in the cafeteria. And look at us now... it's just so funny to me," I said, shaking my head.

He put his head back on the cushion and laughed. "Wow, disgusted, huh?"

I cocked my head to one side. "Obviously, I was wrong," I said, climbing on his lap, and letting the towel drop to the ground

"Mmmm," he hummed, cupping my cheeks in his hands and bringing my face to his.

Luke

I jogged downstairs after taking a shower, calling out for my parents.

"Mom, Dad... you guys down here?"

"Yeah, in the kitchen!" my mom called.

"Hey guys, good morning," I greeted as I came through the door.

"Morning, son," my dad said. "Coffee?" he asked as he poured himself a cup.

"Yes, please..." I said, yawning.

I took a cup gratefully and my dad peered at me curiously.

"Rough night?" he asked, sipping his coffee but not taking his eyes off me.

"You could say that," I started, sitting the cup down on the counter.

"Too much to drink?" he joked.

"Ha... no. No one drank anything. But Miles did get in a bar fight and get us kicked out of the club," I said nonchalantly.

"What?" my parents exclaimed together, looking at each other in alarm.

I held up a hand. "Hold on... no one got arrested or anything. It was because some sleazy guy was hitting on Rachel... like, wouldn't take his hands off of her. If I had gotten there first, it may have been me in the bar fight instead of Miles. It was really disgusting," I said, wrinkling my nose.

My mom's shoulders relaxed a bit, and my dad was actually smiling. "Well, good for Miles... gotta protect your woman," he said, glancing at Mom.

I nodded. "So that's why I got home so early... the night sort of ended after we all ended up in the parking lot. Rachel was upset and Miles had to get himself out of the doghouse."

"Why was he in the doghouse if he was protecting her?" Dad asked.

"Well, at first, she felt like Miles was acting like his fa—" I stopped short. Damnit. Shut up, dumbass.

My dad's brow lowered. "Acting like what?" he asked as if he didn't already know.

I shook my head and started to stand up. "Nevermind. Forget it," I said, but my dad grabbed my hand.

"Tell me, Luke," he demanded, and I couldn't lie to him.

"She felt like he was acting like his father," I whispered, looking up at them, dreading the look I knew I'd see in their eyes.

Dad sat back, looking at Mom and then at me. "Lucas, are you saying...?"

I looked at the ceiling and exhaled. "Yeah... I am."

Mom's face crumpled and she put her hand over her mouth, tears pooling in her eyes.

Dad looked enraged. "Oh my God, we have to do something," he said loudly, standing up and pacing.

I shook my head. "No. No. Don't say anything, please. Miles just wants to get to graduation and then it'll all be over," I pleaded, standing up and facing him.

"Unless it's over before then, Luke," my dad said ominously.

I shook my head. "Come on, Dad... Don't be ridiculous."

"No, son. You don't understand. I know how awful he is. I know what he's capable of. You don't," Dad said, his eyes dark and grim.

"Mom, please," I said, knowing it was probably useless, but I tried anyway.

She looked from the floor to me, her blue eyes swimming with unshed tears. "Your father is right," she murmured. "He's a monster," she said, and a small sob escaped her throat. She suddenly pushed her chair back and hurried out of the room.

I looked after her, shocked by her outburst. Something else was going on here.

"Dad, what is she talking about?" I asked in a small voice, sitting back down on my stool.

Dad sighed, sitting next to me. "Nothing in particular, son. We just all went to school together, as you know... and we saw him do some disgusting, vile things... violent things. And if he's hit his own son... he's not going to stop. What's going to happen when he hits him too hard?"

"Dad, please. Miles has stood up to him already, and things have been better. Please don't start this drama for him... we literally have 6 weeks left. That's it. Then he can go to college and be done. He won't have to face him every day anymore. Miles is finally happy... he has Rachel... he has me," I said, shrugging. "He can take care of himself, Dad. He's done it for this long."

Dad sat there quietly for a long time, looking at his hands. He finally looked up, and his eyes were hard. "Fine. I won't say anything... for now. But if prom night comes around and William even looks at any of us, Miles included, sideways, I will say something. I won't be able to help it, Luke. Miles is my nephew. He's my family. I won't let William hurt him. Period."

I nodded. "That's fair enough." I stood up and started to walk into the living room when I felt my dad's hand around my wrist. I looked back.

"Promise me son... If you notice things getting worse. Tell me."

I swallowed. "I promise."

He nodded and let go of my wrist, taking his coffee and moving to the back deck.

Something else is going on here, and I'm going to find out what it is. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

593K 17.5K 102
"If you want to try again, I've learned a few things since then and now I'm sure... I would make it so, so good for you..." Luke pulls back, a troubl...
121 14 9
Summers are supposed to be that time of the year that you should look forward to. No school, hours at the beach, late night parties. What's not to lo...
75.1K 1.1K 58
When Hollis moved to California, she had never expected to fall in love with the charming football player, Owen Windess. She hadn't expected to fall...
345K 12.3K 38
After a tragic event drives her out of little Hillsborough, NC, 19-year-old Meghan Greene finds herself living in a Manhattan apartment with her best...