Not the Only One (Book 1 in t...

By eternalfelicity

When we don't know who to turn to, sometimes we turn to the ones we least expect. Luke Salazar is a senior at... More

Author's Note - January 2020
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Six - April 21, 2018
Forty-Seven - April 21, 2018
Forty-Eight - April 23, 2018
Forty-Nine - April 23, 2018
Fifty - April 28, 2018
Fifty-One - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Two - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Three - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Four - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Five - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Six - May 4, 2018
Fifty-Seven - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Eight - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Nine - May 5, 2018
Sixty - May 5, 2018
Sixty-One - May 9, 2018
Sixty-Two - May 10, 2018
Sixty-Three - May 13, 2018
Sixty-Four - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Five - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Six - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Seven - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Eight - May 17, 2018
Sixty-Nine - May 20, 2018
Seventy - May 25, 2018
Seventy-One - May 25, 2018
Seventy-Two - May 26, 2018
Seventy-Three - May 28, 2018
Seventy-Four - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Five - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Six - June 1, 2018
Seventy-Seven - July 29, 2018
Seventy-Eight - July 30, 2018
Seventy-Nine - August 11, 2018
Epilogue - August 2020
Author's Note

Forty-Five

741 84 177
By eternalfelicity

Rachel

"Did your parents give you a curfew?" Brooke asked me, and I grinned at her. We were in the back together and Luke was riding shotgun.

"They think I'm staying with you." I leaned over and whispered, "Miles' dad is out of town again."

"You sneaky little mongrel. What if I told Katherine I was staying with you?" she asked, and my eyes widened.

"Did you?!" I asked in horror.

She laughed. "No. Luke's parents are home anyway, so that wouldn't work. I'm just saying – next time, let a sister know what you're doing!"

"Fair enough."

We cruised down the street, getting all the green lights. "Y'all ready to get up in this club?" Luke said suddenly, and we all stared at him in silence. "What? Is that not what you say?"

The three of us exchanged glances and burst into laughter. Luke snorted. "I guess I'm not really a clubber... I don't know! Jesus, just trying to be cool!" he complained good-naturedly.

The light turned green and Miles proceeded down Thomas Drive, turning into Club La Vela on the right.

"Damn. I thought I would be able to say I got through high school in PCB without going to this place," Miles grumbled.

"Hey, hey. At least you got to see your woman get all slutted up," Brooke said, shoving his shoulder over the back of his seat.

"Yeah!" I piped up, unnecessarily.

"True, true," he said, getting out of the Jeep and helping Brooke down. Luke offered his hand to me and I took it, smoothing my dress as I stepped out.

We could already hear the Top 40 music bumping from inside, and Brooke was dancing all the way to the door, dragging Luke with her.

Miles slipped his hand low around my waist, his hand reaching my upper thigh. "I mean it; don't go far when we get in here... I hate places like this, and you look damn fine this evening," he breathed into my ear.

I blushed. "I won't... I don't really like places like this either, but let's try to have a good time, okay?"

He nodded. "Anywhere with you is a good time."

I bumped him with my hip. Brooke and Luke had already reached the door and Brooke was waving at us frantically. "COME ON!" she shouted, practically jumping up and down.

"If she keeps jumping like that, her boobs are going to pop right out of that jumpsuit," I muttered, and Miles laughed.

"Luke would like that," he said.

"Oh come on, you don't think he's seen them already?" I asked.

"Nope. That's what he was telling me on the way over here; they've done nothing more than kiss. I think ol' boy's ready to pop," he replied.

I snorted. When we reached them at the door and showed our IDs, I was still laughing.

Brooke looked at me questioningly. "What's funny?"

I shook my head. "Nothing. Let's dance."

***

An hour later, Miles and I were in the 2000s Hip-Hop room, dancing to such classic tunes as "Party Up" and "Get Low." The music was so loud, and there were so many people around, but we literally only saw each other. I didn't even know where Luke and Brooke had gone.

"Rachel, I hate to admit it, but I'm actually having a pretty good time," he said as we danced, our hips as close as they could get.

I looked up at him and grinned. "Me too. We can't admit it to Brooke, though. She'll never let us forget that she was actually right for once."

He laughed, and then his face contorted a bit. "Ugh," he groaned.

"What?"

"I really have to pee," he said, and I furrowed my brow.

"Okay? So... go," I said.

"I can't leave you here," he said protectively.

I scoffed. "Please... I'm a big girl. I'll be fine. I'll wait right over here for you," I said, gesturing toward a tall round table in the middle of the floor.

He narrowed his eyes, looking around. "All right. I'll be right back," he said, kissing me on the cheek lightly.

"Okay babe," I said, making my way to the table I had spotted, leaning against it.

I watched as he walked away. Damn, his ass is so fine.

I stood there looking around, wishing I had a drink or something to busy my hands with. I left my phone in the Jeep so I wouldn't have to carry a purse.

Miles had only been gone for three minutes or so when I felt hands slide around my waist.

Figuring it was Miles or Brooke, I turned around, grinning. "Hey b—"

It wasn't Brooke. And it definitely wasn't Miles. I was staring into the face of a stranger – a short, scraggly guy that couldn't have been younger than 21.

"Um, excuse me," I said, stepping backward but only bumping into the table.

He laughed darkly. "No excuse necessary, sexy," he said, pressing against me.

My heart thumped wildly. Where is Miles? "Please, leave me alone," I said loudly, attempting to push away from him, but he was stronger than he looked. His grip on my waist tightened.

"What's wrong, baby... is your frat-daddy boyfriend going to be mad?" he breathed against my neck, the place where Miles can give me chills every time. This guy was just making me want to vomit.

At that moment, I heard Miles roar from behind me, "Get the fuck off of her, you son of a bitch!"

The guy held fast to my waist. "What are you gonna do, hit me with your Daddy's money?" he mocked scornfully. When I looked over my shoulder at Miles in horror, he reached me in two strides, pulling me behind him, then punching this guy right in the face.

"Oh my God, Miles!" I yelled.

The guy tried to punch Miles back, but Miles was too quick. He took the guy down to the ground, beating the shit out of him.

"Miles!" I screamed. "Please stop!" I tried to pull him off of the guy, but he wouldn't listen.

A security guard came over and pulled them apart, both guys still swinging at each other. The guy had a bloody nose and busted lip, and Miles didn't have a scratch on him, except for his bloody knuckles.

"Both of you, out!" the guard shouted, pulling them both through the crowd by their elbows. I followed them out, completely humiliated.

Once we were outside, the guy disappeared, probably not wanting to risk the sexual harassment charge I'd put on him if the cops were called.

Miles stepped toward me. "Are you all right?" he asked.

I stepped back from him, and his face crumpled.

"Rachel," he said, stepping toward me.

I held up my hand. "No... Miles. You just scared the shit out of me. What the hell was that?"

He looked indignant. "He had his hands all over you, what did you want me to do? Just let him feel you up right in front of me?" he asked, enraged. At that moment, Luke and Brooke ran up behind us, obviously having heard the commotion and following us out.

"No, of course not, but I was taking care of it! Yelling at him would've been enough! But no... you had to fucking start a bar fight!" I said, sticking my hand out toward the club.

"Rachel – I -" he started.

I shook my head. "No. You just did the exact same thing to that guy that..." I didn't have to finish the sentence; he knew what I was going to say.

He had acted like his father.

I turned away from him and started walking behind the club toward the beach, all three of them shouting after me.

Miles

"Fuck," I said, kicking the gravel in the parking lot.

Luke put his hand on my shoulder but I shook it off.

"I have to go after her," I said, but Brooke grabbed my elbow.

"Leave her be for a minute, Miles. She's just going to sit by the beach, I already know," she said.

I sighed. "Fine... God, I am such an idiot," I said, massaging my bruising knuckles.

Luke shook his head. "Nah... I saw what happened – I was trying to make my way over there, but you got there first. That guy was a fucking creep. He deserved what he got," he said, and I felt a little better.

"But you heard her... I reminded her of my father. That's the most horrifying thing I've ever heard," I said, shuddering.

"Hey, she didn't mean that... she was just scared," Brooke said, putting her hand on my shoulder.

I sighed and sat down on the curb, Luke and Brooke flanking either side of me.

"How long do I need to wait?" I asked after a few moments, looking longingly at the beach.

Brooke laughed. "Go on," she said, shoving me up.

I ran off toward the beach, not looking back.

When I reached the sand, I saw Rachel immediately; she was laying on a wooden chair near the surf, her red high heels dangling in her fingers, her bare legs crossed. One arm was covering her face, and I knew immediately that she was crying. My heart sank.

I came up behind her and sank down on my knees in the sand next to her, putting my hand cautiously on her knee. She didn't flinch, thank God, but she didn't look at me either.

"Rachel... baby," I said, my voice thick.

She turned her head slowly to look at me, tears falling from her eyes. "What, Miles?"

I put my hand on her cheek, wiping her tears. "I'm so sorry, Rachel. I lost my temper, and I was wrong. Please. That's the first time I've ever hit anyone, I swear. And it will be my last... you have to believe me. Seeing that guy with his hands on your... the thought of him hurting you just killed me," I said, putting my hand on the back of her neck gently.

Her grey eyes bore into mine, searching them for any sign of dishonesty. I guess she didn't find any because she sat up and put her legs on either side of my body.

"You scared me, Miles. I don't ever want to see you like that again," she murmured, pressing her forehead against mine.

"You won't. The—" My voice broke then. "The thought of losing you is horrifying, paralyzing," I croaked.

Her face paled. "Oh, Miles... you're not losing me," she said, hugging me tightly around my neck. "I love you," she whispered in my ear.

I breathed deeply again for the first time in the last 15 minutes. "I love you too," I said, burying my face in her neck.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

345K 12.3K 38
After a tragic event drives her out of little Hillsborough, NC, 19-year-old Meghan Greene finds herself living in a Manhattan apartment with her best...
4.4K 147 66
Seventeen-year-old Rylee Evans just moved back to her hometown of Charlottesville, VA, with her dad and sister after being gone for three years. She'...
140K 4.2K 58
Winters Academy is home to the sons and daughters of some of the most prestigious families in the world! The school is known for its excellent academ...
594K 17.5K 102
"If you want to try again, I've learned a few things since then and now I'm sure... I would make it so, so good for you..." Luke pulls back, a troubl...