Not the Only One (Book 1 in t...

By eternalfelicity

When we don't know who to turn to, sometimes we turn to the ones we least expect. Luke Salazar is a senior at... More

Author's Note - January 2020
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six - April 21, 2018
Forty-Seven - April 21, 2018
Forty-Eight - April 23, 2018
Forty-Nine - April 23, 2018
Fifty - April 28, 2018
Fifty-One - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Two - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Three - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Four - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Five - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Six - May 4, 2018
Fifty-Seven - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Eight - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Nine - May 5, 2018
Sixty - May 5, 2018
Sixty-One - May 9, 2018
Sixty-Two - May 10, 2018
Sixty-Three - May 13, 2018
Sixty-Four - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Five - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Six - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Seven - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Eight - May 17, 2018
Sixty-Nine - May 20, 2018
Seventy - May 25, 2018
Seventy-One - May 25, 2018
Seventy-Two - May 26, 2018
Seventy-Three - May 28, 2018
Seventy-Four - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Five - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Six - June 1, 2018
Seventy-Seven - July 29, 2018
Seventy-Eight - July 30, 2018
Seventy-Nine - August 11, 2018
Epilogue - August 2020
Author's Note

Forty-Three

691 86 159
By eternalfelicity

Rachel

I ran my fingernail down Miles' spine as he entered his login information into the computer for our AP Euro test, and grinned when he shivered. "Good luck, baby. Maybe after the test you'll get a treat," I whispered.

"Stop distracting me, you minx," he breathed over his shoulder.

"You know you love it," I murmured, crossing my right leg over my left knee and poking his calf with my foot.

"Damn right."

"Okay," Ms. Johnson spoke up. "It's time to start the test. Good luck," she said, smiling.

I took a deep breath and began the test.

Three hours later, we exited the classroom with our shoulders slumped. "Jesus Christ," Miles gasped when we got into the hallway. "That test was brutal."

"It really was," I agreed, leaning against the wall next to the water fountain.

"How do you think you did?"

"Okay...I think I probably at least pulled a 4. You?"

"I feel okay about it...if I got a 3, it's definitely because of you," he said, kissing my cheek.

"Ah, that's not true. You worked really hard. You actually took longer than I did," I pointed out.

"Yeah, that's because you literally know everything there is to know about European History," he said, bumping my hip as we walked to the office. We both had permission to sign out after the test, and we had big plans for lunch.

I considered this. "True."

"See, you're modest too," he joked, opening the office door for me and following me inside.

We signed out and made our way to the parking lot hand in hand.

"Where do you want to go for lunch?" he asked me as he put the top down on the Jeep. It was a beautiful day; not a cloud in the sky, in the mid 80s.

"I'm craving a burrito," I started.

"Diego's," we said at the same time.

We laughed. "Diego's it is," he said, hopping in the Jeep next to me and taking off, squealing the tires as we exited the parking lot.

After eating embarrassingly large burritos, we drove down Front Beach Road. I assumed Miles was taking me home, but I really didn't want to go.

"Miles, where are we going?" I asked, looking out the passenger side.

"I was going to take you home, but..." he trailed off.

"But?"

"But I don't want to," he said, laughing.

"Good. I don't want you to either," I said.

"Where do you want to go? Movies? Beach?"

"What about your house?" I asked.

He shook his head. "My dad is home."

"I know," I said carefully.

He cut his eyes toward me and saw the look on my face.

"Oh no. No no no. I am not taking you to meet my dad. Nope," he said stubbornly, shaking his head.

"Miles, please. I don't want the first time we meet him to be on prom night. And you know our parents will all end up at the beach where we take photos," I argued.

"No. No. Not today." 

"Miles. Please do this for me," I begged. "I want to get this over with."

He was silent for a few moments, staring ahead at the road. But when he sighed almost silently, I knew he was relenting.

"Ugh," he groaned. "Fine."

"Thank you, baby," I put my hand on his knee and squeezed gently.

He grunted in response, but put his hand on mine.

Miles

I can't believe I let her talk me into this. I was not prepared for Rachel to meet my dad today. Not even close.

We pulled into my driveway, and I was hoping against hope it would be empty. But no...of course not. The green Land Rover was sitting there in its spot, perfectly shiny as usual.

I sighed deeply as I got out of the Jeep and trudged around to her door, opening it and offering my hand, even though I was highly irritated with her.

"Thanks," she said in a small voice, looking up at me with stormy grey eyes.

My heart softened and my anger dissipated. I couldn't be mad at her—not for this. We'd been together over a month, and she still hadn't met my dad. Even though he was a total dick, I wanted him to see the girl I'd ended up with—and how happy she'd made me.

"I'm sorry in advance if he's an asshole..." I started, but she waved me off.

"Don't worry about it," she said, kissing my cheek.

I took a deep breath as I opened the door. "Dad?" I called.

"In the kitchen," he called back.

"I brought someone home I want you to meet," I said, leading Rachel into the kitchen, feeling her hand go clammy.

"Oh yeah? Who's that?" he asked, turning around.

I breathed a little easier; he was in a good mood.

"This is my girlfriend, Rachel Cross," I said proudly.

"Well, hello there, Rachel Cross," he said, holding his hand out in greeting.

She smiled—a real smile—and shook it. "Hello, Mr. Jefferson," she said sweetly.

"Please. Call me William," he said. "Wow, son, she's beautiful," he said, and she flushed.

"Yeah, she is, isn't she?" I agreed, looking down at her, smiling at her embarrassed face.

"Oh gosh, stop," she said, putting her hands over her face.

Dad laughed, a sound I hadn't heard in a long time.

"Have you all eaten?" he asked.

"Yeah, we just went to Diego's. We had our AP Euro test today," I explained.

"Oh, right. How did that go?" Dad asked, pulling a beer out of the fridge. "You don't mind if I drink, do you?" he asked Rachel. She shook her head.

"Rachel probably got a 100...I think I might have gotten a passing score," I said, sitting on a stool at the bar. Rachel sat next to me and put her arm around my shoulders.

"Mr. Jeff—William, I assure you, Miles rocked that test. We've been studying for weeks," she said, squeezing my arm.

"Well, that's promising," Dad said. "Let me know when you get your score."

I nodded, sort of shocked that this was going as well as it was.

"I will."

"Are you taking Rachel to prom, son?" he asked, taking a drink of his beer.

"Yes, I am," I answered, glancing at Rachel.

"We're meeting at the beach to take photos," Rachel spoke up. "You should come."

I widened my eyes. Oh God, that was going to be a cluster fuck.

To my surprise, Dad nodded. "All right, just give me a time," he agreed. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some work to do in the office. Nice to meet you, Rachel. Keep him in line," he said, winking.

When he was gone, I looked at Rachel, pulled her off the stool gently and out the door to the pool deck.

"Rachel Mae Cross, what the hell were you thinking?" I asked incredulously.

"What? I thought it was going well!" she exclaimed.

I just looked at her. "Rachel. It won't just be us taking photos...Luke and Brooke will be there too...and their families," I said pointedly.

I watched as recognition crossed her face. "Oh. Oh yeah...Shit," she said.

I nodded. "'Shit' is right," I said, putting my hands in my pockets.

"Ugh," she groaned. "I'm sorry, Miles, I fucked up," she said, tears choking her voice, looking down at the concrete.

I looked at the sky, my heart melting. "Rachel, it's okay. Please don't cry," I said, lifting her chin so she'd look at me.

I leaned in and kissed her lightly, my lips barely touching hers, but the touch was enough to ignite a fire deep within me.

When I moved my head back to look at her, her eyes were cloudy—not with tears, but with desire.

Damnit. I'm never going to make it until prom night. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.5K 2.9K 54
**ATTENTION! This is a sequel to Not the Only One. Please please don't read any further until you read it! - SPOILERS ahead! All of the characters wi...
121 14 9
Summers are supposed to be that time of the year that you should look forward to. No school, hours at the beach, late night parties. What's not to lo...
140K 4.2K 58
Winters Academy is home to the sons and daughters of some of the most prestigious families in the world! The school is known for its excellent academ...
685K 12.2K 42
UNEDITED! "I can't act like I'm not in love with you!" he says at last. Every single drop of confidence fades away from my body. "What did you say?"...