Dark Night

By Hephaestia

Delphinia Knight is a pretty average teenage girl--she's pretty, friendly, smart, and stays out of trouble. H... More

Hello
Westward ho
The start of school
Surprise
Skateboard
November
Thanksgiving
Christmas is coming
Four Continents
Bank account
Confrontation
Treatment
Strep
First shot
Confession
Another confrontation
Unexpected changes
Consultancy
Iced
ACTs
Results
Making Decisions
Tryouts
Outcomes
Preparation
Invitation
Prom
The Programs
Fallout boy
Practice makes perfect
Celebration
Senior year
Homecoming
Results
Bang
Reaction
Returning
The week
The meeting
Sightseeing
Short program
More Olympics
And the free program
Interview
Back to reality
Party time
Pod brother
What comes next
The tulip garden
Picking myself up
And what comes after that
Next steps
Tying things up
Party!
Relocation
First days
Surf's up
Dinner with John
Class
First quarter
Vacation
Christmas break
The roommate
Cold war
Not the best start to spring break
Recovery
The talk
And the rest
Home again
Settling in
Summertime
The next quarter
Winter quarter
Tour
Torched
Brief break
Summer session
An end
Senior year at last
The adventure begins
Tokyo
Sapporo
Free skate
Back to the set
Many faces of a once ruined city
Immersed in culture. A lot of culture.
Last days, determined sightseeing
Pacific Coast Highway
And the final push
Independence
Analysis
Work
Bit of Irish
Adventure
Finishing out the year
Touristing
PhDeeeeeelightful
Where there's a Will there's a way
Defense
Africa
Transitioning to real life
Good things
Just the beginning

Unsettled summer

137 28 18
By Hephaestia

Things proceeded rapidly for Stan after that. Grandpa closed on the house a couple of weeks later, upgraded a couple of iffy appliances, including the washer and the dishwasher. The roommates repainted the interior before they moved in--Grandpa didn't put any color restrictions, but they sensibly kept to a nice neutral palette--and he replaced the sad carpeting with Pergo throughout with the stipulation that there would be rugs near the doors to ease the wear on the finish in those high traffic areas. The roommates pitched in on a lawnmower and edge trimmer, set up  big chart of chores in the kitchen that would be rotated, and promptly moved in. I was a little surprised at how fast it went, but when you're determined, most anything can be done on an accelerated schedule. Our parents were also surprised, but it happened fast enough that they were able to give notice on the condo and move into a smaller, nice place. That put an end to any nudgings on their part to move back with them, and I really relaxed.  I gave Stan a couple of cookbooks as a housewarming present and brought a tray of nibbles for the housewarming party. Todd was also really excited about having graduated and living independently. He and Nancy were sure they could build on their successes from last year.

Grandpa was an excellent roommate. I still had quite a bit of freedom but there was the added bonus of having a caring adult who asked questions about my day and my plans. It was also nice to share meals and the cats were great. They were always doing something funny or cute. Mom didn't, however, let up on her drive to get me college ready. It was irritating because I had two sets of linens plus a blanket and my comforter and two sets of towels; I intended to buy any other specific items I needed down at school, but with a gentle nudge from Grandpa, who pointed out that if I let her buy me another set of linens and towels that I wouldn't have to do laundry as often, I reluctantly submitted to a shopping expedition. We went to Macy's and she bought me some pretty white sheets with coral embroidery on the pillowcase and flat sheet top hem and pretty gray and white towels with an orchid design at Nordstrom plus a beach towel. There were a couple of swimsuits, a desk lamp, a green terry-cloth bathrobe, and a small area rug for my bedside before she was done, and I had to admit I liked the new things. It wasn't even horrible shopping with her; for once she listened to me about my preferences. Later I went to get a shower caddy, shower shoes, and a few incidentals that I didn't want to have to rush out and buy.  I wanted to leave room for new purchases once I was on campus, but I realized that I wanted those things to be primarily decorative things rather than necessities. I started a list of supplies, including laundry supplies and a few housekeeping things like electronics wipes, pledge wipes, and Febreeze. And a laundry bag; I wanted something that was flexible enough to go into my closet. And carryalls rather than structured luggage for my clothes. Dad really surprised me and gave me a lockbox for my dorm room so I could secure my jewelry from anybody who might be light-fingered. That eased a fear that I had because the dorms were pretty famous for open doors and friendliness.

When it was time to choose my housing, I went over the options with Grandpa and chose the deluxe residence halls as my first choice (because they have air conditioning) and traditional residence halls as my second choice. They were reputed to be more social than offerings like suites (even if I could get into a suite) which is what I wanted. It was at this time that Grandpa gave me a further forty thousand dollars for my education, to be joined with Grandma's contribution. "I told you that I'd help with your education, punkin," he said as he gave me the check. "You got a great benefit with the tuition waiver, but college is expensive and there are always extras. I want you to be able to take full advantage of social opportunities and new experiences, which includes living where you want. We can't count on the waiver every year and it's important that you have what you need." I filled out the roommate questionnaire and waited.

Meanwhile, I had work at the library and there was general rejoicing there when my work study assignment was issued: I'd been placed at the Arts library, which I liked the thought of a lot, it should expand my horizons. I also spent a lot of time at the park with my friends. It was good that I had my friends, because John was starting to withdraw.

It started when the skaters at the rink started to work on their new programs; for the first time John wasn't and it really hit him what he was giving up. I recognized encroaching depression; his primary comforting, comfortable routine had been stripped away and his peers in that world were leaving him behind as they focused on the sport again. I was having some trouble dealing with the uncertainty of life at college just from losing my protective high school cocoon and here he was losing two very important support structures. Not only was his routine gone but also his social and professional network, the common bond between some of the world's best skaters. I suspected he was in for a harder time once he realized that the thrill of competition was also gone. And he did have a pretty big ego, no matter how carefully he managed it; he'd enjoyed being an elite skater and medalist and his accomplishments were many. What that meant on a personal level was that we didn't spend as much time together as I wanted. We didn't go into San Francisco as much, even to the park; we hung around locally more. This was ok, I just liked to spend time with him, but that got to be a harder achievement as he withdrew into himself. It was kind of hard sledding.

But if I was worried, so were his parents. Paul told me that they had John under close surveillance, also informed by many of the same resources I'd read as well as doubtless others, and it wasn't long before they took him to a therapist. He went without complaint; he didn't want to mess up his life and he was trained to overcome obstacles, not submit to them. I worried and did my share of hand-wringing, but surprisingly it was Stan who set me straight, pointing out that John was the one who had to make the adjustment. I could support him but I couldn't do it for him any more than his parents could or his brother. John's mental state hit his brother hard too; John's struggles meant that he wasn't the confident, fun big brother he was used to. John wasn't as outgoing as Paul was, but the relationship between the brothers was deep and open. Now there were barriers and it was upsetting to Paul. I could sympathize with him, having learned how to deal with being left behind by my brother and helped him acclimate. It helped to remind him that there would have been changes in any case when John went to college and there were more in store when Paul went too. We talked about his sophomore year and what he wanted to achieve there, the classes he wanted to take and activities he wanted to try. It took some time before he admitted his real fear, that John was going to leave him behind when he went to college.

He was a little startled when I punched his arm. "You're smarter than that," I said mildly. "There's going to be physical distance between you, sure, but you're his brother. Once he gets his feet back under him you know he'll still keep in touch and you'll be sharing your lives. He'll want to know what you're doing and he'll want to share his experiences too." I gentled my tone and sighed. "It's a lot of change is all, and change is scary. He's not leaving you behind." Paul didn't say anything but he did lean against me for awhile.

Naomi got back from her first year at UCLA at the end of June and hunted me up. She was so enthusiastic about her first year studying for her BA in film and tv studies; she wanted to get into cinematography. She listened to my concerns and nerves, and reminded me that I wasn't going to be alone down there, that she'd be delighted to answer questions and help me settle in. She said that although it seemed like a huge change, it didn't actually take her that long to feel at home, which was a relief. 

After the Fourth of July celebrations, I was surprised the next day when John turned up on my doorstep, unplanned. I was pleased to see him, but he wouldn't come in. "My folks want me to see a different therapist who specializes in sport psychology," he said, sounding down. "The psychologist is in LA. I'm moving down early, staying with my grandparents, try to get a grip on this before school. I can't handle the thought that I'm not going to be prepared to start school, Leia."  I reassured him; school didn't start til the end of September, he had almost three months. "I know this is risky," he said, sounding fatigued. He wouldn't meet my eyes. "But I want you to feel free to go out and have fun. I just don't have the energy to give you the attention you deserve."

"I'm not asking for a commitment, John," I said tightly. "I want to support you. Don't push me away now."

"I don't want to dump you," he said. "I just need to focus on finding my way now that all the structure is gone out of my life. I need your friendship but I don't want to drag you down with me. And we're going to be in different cities. A long-distance relationship isn't fair to you." So I got a grip on my emotions and cycled through the reading I'd done. I knew that relationships were often casualties during the bumpy reentry that athletes had.

"Ok," I said, keeping my voice steady. "Keep in touch and let me know if you need anything." I leaned forward and kissed his cheek. He hadn't shaved that day and his skin was prickly. He offered me a half-hearted smile, went down to his car, and drove away.

Grandpa gave me some space to be upset, then a couple days later sat me down to talk about it. Surprisingly, he didn't think it wa a bad idea, saying that you're only a freshman in college once, and I should enjoy everything that college had to offer. I was inclined to be offended, then rethought my position. If we were meant to be, we would be. And Paul, also to my surprise, urged me to have fun over the summer and not to worry about John. It was his turn to reassure me, pointing out that John had a lot to deal with and that he still wanted and needed my friendship. I told him what Grandpa said and he agreed.  John, once he got settled in with his grandparents, got in touch and I proposed to lighten the pressure farther, saying that I was looking forward to being on campus with him but that we should go back to being friends for a quarter, then revisit things. That would give us both time to experience new things. He agreed, sounding relieved.

"You're my best friend, Leia, and I don't want to lose that," he said. "The psychiatrist says that it could take as much as a year or two to get used to not skating and what that entails."

"Ok," I said slowly. "One quarter as friends, a reassessment, then the option to extend the agreement quarter by quarter." So that was what we agreed to.

I was determined not to mope and made my friends go around the area and into San Francisco with me so I could see things I hadn't yet, including a more thorough exploration of the park. I avoided the romantic places and had a good time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 416 36
when emma goes to her uncle's place to live with him until her high school gets over she thought she could live a life without any fear and nobody t...
4.2K 73 21
Babylynn "Baby" Rhodes is a 16 year old girl that lives with her 6 overprotective brothers and all of them keeps her as far away from boys as possibl...
12.2K 195 17
Lydia and Anthony were figure skating partners for 7 years before Anthony decided he was done. Now in college, Anthony fulfills his true desire to be...
270 0 5
"'Why does coming out have to be so complicated?' Markus whispered. 'Because everyone around us makes it complicated,' I whispered back." London McEl...