The Games We Played (a Hunger...

By MichGabKa

More

Chapter 1 - Peeta's past
Chapter 2 - The Arrival in the Capitol
Chapter 3 - Training
Chapter 4 - Private Sessions, An Announcement, and Interviews
Chapter 5 - Bonus Chap - Cato from Reaping to Before the Arena
Chapter 6 - The Arena
Chapter 7: The Tributes enter the Arena
Chapter 8: The Tributes enter the Arena part 2
Chapter 9: Day 2: Tribute Hunting
2nd Bonus chapter -Chapter 10 District 12's Tribute Families
Chapter 11: Arena Day 3
Chapter 12 Arena Day 4 - the Rescue
Chapter 13 Discoveries and Confessions
Chapter 14: Meet the Parents, a Nightmare, and More
Chapter 15 Missing
Chapter 16: What now?
Chapter 17: Nightmares and Family Meetings
Chapter 18: Peeta and the Sniper Squad go on their mission
Chapter 19: Peeta Awakes, Cato Proposes
Chapter 20 Secrets and Devastation
Chapter 21: Reunions & Disappointment
Chapter 22: Leonitus' Confession and Going to District 4
Chapter 23 Peeta's 2 dates
Chapter 26 Peeta has Returned (but not alone?)
Chapter 27: A New Truth Revealed

Chapter 24 the Kidnapping

50 1 0
By MichGabKa

Chapter 24 the Kidnapping

As Peeta wakes up, the memory of yesterday’s events still fresh in his mind. He was so relaxed around Leonitus – almost trusting of the guy. Was he being so trusting because of Leonitus’ sad life story? Was that story even true? Who would even be able to find the truth out? All these questions but with no discernible answers.

Peeta groans.

“What’s wrong little man?” Brutus asks coming out of the bathroom dressed in his uniform.

“Leonitus,” Peeta replies as he sits up and leans against the headboard. “As usual.”

“Oh?” questions Brutus as he sits on the bed by Peeta’s feet.

“I don’t know what I was thinking yesterday,” Peeta admits sadly. “I actually had a good time with him yesterday.”

“And today you are having feelings of guilt,” Brutus concludes.

“Yeah. Because I don’t understand why it was so easy for me to forget what he did to Cato and I. I mean Cato and I were busy planning our future. Now I am giving the guy who ruined that a chance to prove himself to me! What the hell is wrong with me?” asks Peeta confounded pulling at his hair.

“Nothing is wrong with you Peeta,” Brutus replies trying to calm the younger man. “The guy showed you a new side to him, a nicer side. Hell, even Eno and I had a good time around him yesterday.”

Peeta sits there for a moment silently. “Do you believe the story of his past?” Peeta asks suddenly. “I mean, does any of it ring true to you? I only ask because you are from the same district.” Peeta adds hopeful.

“I honestly don’t know,” Brutus replies after giving the question some thought. “I think there may be some truth to it. There were stories floating around of a victor that fathered a couple of children with different women. I never met the man as I tended to avoid as many of the other victors as I could. I was ashamed of myself after, um you know. The only person I would have anything with was Eno.”

“Is there any way we could find out about Leonitus and this Victor? Like before my next date with the guy?” Peeta asks hopefully. “I think it might help me.”

“Well, I guess we could check the records in District 2, but we don’t even know if we will get sent there. It’s a real possibility that you and Leonitus will have another date before we know,” Brutus tells the younger man.

Peeta slumps against the headboard, feeling very dejected. He jumps at the sound of Brutus’ yell.

“Wait!” Brutus exclaims. “There may be someone in District 2 that can look for us right now. I’ll go talk to Boggs and Jackson about contacting this person while you get ready for your TV show,” he teases as he stands up and goes.

Brutus is already out the door before Peeta could formulate any type of response. He gets up and gathers his clothes before going into the bathroom to do his morning ritual and dressing. He hopes that Boggs and Jackson will agree to Brutus’ request and let him contact this unknown person.

In the hallway outside the room that contains Cato, Gale, Rie, and Wheet, Clove prepares to knock. She sees Brutus practically running from the room he’s sharing with Peeta. She’s a little miffed when he doesn’t say anything as he rushes past her. She shrugs it off and knocks on the guys’ door.

“Who is it?” a girly-like voice sings out as well as some snickering.

“Your worst nightmare,” Clove replies emasculating her voice. “Seriously guys it’s Clove. Are you guys decent? We need to talk.”

The door opens and Cato pulls her in.

“Wow Muscles, way to manhandle your best friend!” she exclaims as Cato shuts the door.

“Sorry Clover,” Cato replies. “But we’re glad you’re here.”

“Could’ve fooled me,” Clove smiles. “Anyway, what’s the matter?” she asks sitting on the bed.

“Well, the 4 of us got to talking and we realized that we don’t quite believe our little buddy Leonitus’ story,” Rie tells her. “Some of it seemed a little, uh, fake.”

“I think we should include the others in keeping the creep from my baby brother,” Wheet adds. He sees the odd look Clove is giving him. “Rie and I knew you had a plan and we sort of made Cato and Gale tells us. And we know if we want in, the others will too. They love Peeta as well.”

“And as long as we’re including people, we should also let Brutus and Enobaria in as well. They spend a lot of time around Peeta,” Gale says thinking. “Plus they do have more ‘connections’ than we do.”

“Well, Brutus just passed me in the hall and he looked like he was on a mission. It was almost like I wasn’t even there. Anyway, we may have to wait until after the mission briefing to talk,” Clove shares.

“Do you think there’s something wrong with Peeta?” Cato asks panicked, turning to head to the door. “Maybe we should go check and see if he’s alright.”

“Okay, calm down there Loverboy,” Rie says catching Cato before he leaves the room. “I’ll go check on him. I haven’t had a chance to talk to him in a while and you 4 have.” He walks to the door. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

Rie walks down to the hallway to the room where Peeta’s staying and knocks on the door. He hears a faint voice telling him to come in.

Rie opens the door. “You here little brother?” he calls out. “And decent?”

Peeta peeks his head out the bathroom door smiling around the toothbrush hanging out his mouth. He takes it out and carefully says, “Oh Rie, good morning. I’ll be right out in just a moment.”

Rie sits on the bed to wait for Peeta.

“What’s going on? Am I running late?” Peeta asks moments later as he walks out of the bathroom.

“Oh no, you’re fine. I just realized I haven’t got to spend any time with you and thought I’d come say good morning,” Rie says smiling.

“What’s really going on?” Peeta asks as he sits next to his brother. “The truth now.”

Rie sighs. “Clove saw Brutus running down the hallway as she was coming to see us and it freaked Cato out. He thought that you might be hurt,” Rie tells him. “I came to see, but because I really haven’t got to spend any time with you lately.”

“Well, I’m fine. Not really sure why Brutus left the room like his ass was on fire,” Peeta tells his brother. “But I’m glad you came to check on me even if I am fine. I’m sorry I haven’t got to spend much time with you as well,” Peeta lays back on the bed and pounds his fists on the mattress. “This whole Leonitus crap is really messing with my life. I can’t even spend time with my friends and family. Oh, and let’s not forget to throw a war into the mix as well!”

“Don’t forget to add in the fact that you have 2 bodyguards as well,” Rie throws in as he lays back.

“Bodyguards?” Peeta questions. “You mean Brutus and Enobaria? They have been nothing but good to me since the whole Leonitus fiasco began,” Peeta explains. “And if you had asked, they would’ve let you spend time with me. You are my brother you dork.” Peeta laughs and then stops suddenly. “Are you scared of them?” Peeta asks teasingly as he sits up.

“What?! Scared? No!” Rie exclaims sitting up as well. “Okay, maybe just a little,” he admits. “They’re victors. They’ve killed people.”

“First off, we’re killers too Rie. We all had to be to survive in the games,” Peeta explains. “But you really should spend time with us, share a meal with the three of us, and get to know them better.”

Just then the door bursts open.

“Hey Peeta, I just talked to – oh, hi Rie. I didn’t know Peeta had guests. How are you?” Brutus asks bursting in the room.

“I’m well, thank you for asking. How are you?” Rie asks nervously.

Neither Rie nor Brutus sees the odd look Peeta is giving them.

“I’m good as well. I can come back in a few minutes and let you visit a little longer,” Brutus suggests.

“Thank you for the offer Brutus but I need to make sure my roommates are ready to go watch my baby brother on his dates,” Rie says stopping Brutus from leaving the room. He stands up. “Besides, whatever you were going to tell Peeta sounded pretty important.” He turns to Peeta. “I’m glad we got a chance to talk and I will think about your offer.” Rie then leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

Brutus looks at the closed door before turning to Peeta. “What offer did you make your brother?” he asks curious.

“I asked him to join you, Enobaria, and myself for lunch one of these days,” Peeta replies with a chuckle. “I believe my family is afraid of you and Enobaria and avoid us. But you really are nothing more than a giant teddy bear that has a very generous heart.”

“A giant teddy bear with a generous heart? Really Peeta?” Brutus asks chagrinned but smiling.

“You heard me. In my opinion, yep,” Peeta answers popping the ‘p’.

“Great, now my reputation is ruined!” Brutus says in an obvious fake tone causing the both of them to laugh.

When they calm down Peeta looks up at Brutus. “So, what did you want to tell me when you burst in here a few minutes ago? You seemed pretty excited.”

“Oh right! Well I talked to Boggs and found out that Lyme is currently in District 2. She’s working with the underground resistance,” Brutus tells Peeta excitedly. “I got him to let me dispatch a message to her. Hopefully we’ll hear from her soon about Leonitus’ past!”

“That’s great news!” Peeta exclaims.

“I know right?! And it’s time for breakfast so let’s go,” Brutus says as he pulls Peeta off the bed.

As soon as breakfast was over, everyone went into the large living room to watch the official airing of Peeta’s 2 dates. The guys, pretending to be perfect gentlemen, offered the girls the comfy couches and arm chairs to sit on while they grabbed their chairs from the dining room to sit on. It was actually an order from Boggs that was passed by word of mouth to the men. The TV is turned on and the room is silent except for the show.

Peeta, hating seeing himself on the TV, kept his head down, and played with a loose string on his shirt. Boggs, noticing Peeta’s anxiety at having to watch himself on the TV, gets up and hands him a folder. Peeta looks at Boggs confounded before turning his attention to the folder. Inside was the mission briefing as well as a current picture of Ariel. Peeta looks at Boggs and nods, understanding that Boggs gave him this to keep his mind off the show. He studies the picture, looking for distinguishing marks to make it easier to identify her later around others. As he places the photo back in the folder, he hears the others in the room laugh. He looks up to see Leonitus squirting the other’s to help Peeta win the game. Peeta looks over to Cato to gauge his reaction. Cato’s face was blank making Peeta wish he could read his mind to figure out what he was feeling. He hated when Cato blanked his face and showed no emotion. Peeta shakes his head slightly before turning his attention back to the 2 page briefing. As he reads, he wonders why both squads are needed. It seems like such a simple mission – capture the girl for interrogation back in District 13. As he reads, he learns that Ariel apparently only comes out after dark, staying near the markets, not even trying to stay hidden.

Suddenly Peeta feels eyes on him, watching. He looks up from the papers and looks around. As he does this, from the corner of his eye he sees the roller coaster scene on the screen. He immediately looks at Cato who was looking at his lap, clearly not able to watch. Peeta turns to gauge Gale’s reaction and sees he looks disgusted. Peeta wonders if Gale is mad at him. He turns and looks at Finnick and sees sadness. Next to him was Leonitus and he had guilt on his face. That confuses Peeta for a moment. And then he was back to being aware that he was still being watched. He looks around but other than Cato, everyone is watching the show. Yet he still feels watched. It was beginning to make him very uncomfortable. He begins to fidget in his seat, still trying to figure out who was staring at him.

Brutus, who is sitting next to Peeta notices Peeta’s agitation and turns to Boggs who also has noticed Peeta’s jittery actions. Boggs looks at Brutus and gives him a nod at Peeta before nodding his head towards the kitchen. Brutus understands what Boggs is telling him and stands up. He gently grabs Peeta and gestures for him to keep quiet. They leave the room not realizing that Cato has seen them leave. He is the only one and sadly, Peeta misses the looks of sadness, concern, and immense love on Cato’s face.

Brutus pulls Peeta along quickly and quietly into the kitchen and sits him down on a stool by the center island. He gets Peeta a glass of water and watches as the younger man drinks. Brutus sits on the stool next to Peeta and gives him a moment to calm down.

“What happened in the living room Peeta? You seem like you were freaking out,” Brutus says as Peeta looks at the empty glass in front of him. “You could barely sit still.”

“I felt like someone was watching me very intently. I could feel their eyes boring in me. It was freaking me out!” Peeta quietly exclaims knowing the others still had to watch his crappy date life play out on TV.

“Did you see who was staring at you?” Brutus asks.

“No. And I looked at everyone twice hoping to catch someone. But they were all watching the screen except Cato. It was the roller coaster scene and he was looking down to his lap,” Peeta tells him. “Yet I could still feel the eyes on me, never leaving me.”

“That’s really strange. So no one in the room was watching you yet you still felt the eyes upon you,” Brutus comments loud enough for Peeta to hear but not really talking to Peeta. “The staff was sent next door before we were supposed to watch the show,” Brutus says to himself as he thinks. “We need to talk to Boggs immediately. Do you still feel like you are being watched here in the kitchen?” Brutus asks as he stands.

Peeta thinks for a moment before responding. “No, I haven’t. Not since we left the living room in fact.”

“We definitely need Boggs. And Finnick as well,” Brutus says thinking again.

“Wait! What?” Peeta freaks out. “Why do we need Finnick? How come you need him? How do you figure he can help?”

“Relax Peeta; I’ll explain when I get back. Just wait in here and I’ll be right back,” Brutus says before rushing out of the room.

Peeta slumps back on the stool, feeling frustrated and a little guilty. He’s frustrated at Brutus for running off on him yet again today and guilty at not wanting Finnick’s help. Finnick has been nothing but supportive of him and Cato recently Peeta realizes. He is so deep in thought; he doesn’t hear a figure approach him from behind. It’s not until a foul smelling cloth is placed over his nose and mouth that he realizes he’s not alone. Before he loses consciousness, he sees a face he thought he’d never see again. ‘Oh shit’ is his final thought as he slips under.

Brutus walks into the kitchen followed by Boggs and Finnick moments later. They immediately notice the stool Peeta was sitting on lying on the ground, the glass he had been drinking out of on its side, and an envelope with Cato’s name on it leaning against the glass. Brutus reaches for the envelope.

“Don’t touch anything!” Boggs ordered.

“But it could be about where…” Brutus says, his voice fading as he realizes Peeta is gone.

“I know Brutus,” Boggs says knowing the man is going to be feeling guilt for leaving Peeta alone. “But getting your prints on that envelope could jeopardize any clues as to left it. This is now a crime scene.”

“What do we do now?” Finnick asks worried about Peeta and freaked out that something like this happened in his house.

“First off, we do not mention the envelope addressed to Cato! He is going to flip out enough as it is. Next, we need to leave this room immediately. We need to block off all entrances to keep everyone out. Then you two will come with me while I contact District 13 and have the special investigation team brought here immediately. While we wait for them, Brutus, you will need to write down everything you and Peeta discussed in here. Finnick, I need you to get me the blue prints to this house and any ‘modifications’ you have made since you’ve lived here,” Boggs replies as he escorts them out of the room.

“What about the mission?” Brutus asks.

“When I call about the forensic team, I’ll speak to Coin about postponing the mission until Peeta is found. Now let’s get the entry ways blocked off before the scene gets any more contaminated,” Boggs directs.

By the time they got the kitchen blocked off and the call made, the group in the living room was done watching the required programming. Boggs sent Brutus to write his report and Finnick to gather the required papers. He then made his way into the living room to talk to the others. He was dreading Cato’s reaction the most. As he walked to the front of the room, he could feel the anticipation of the group. He takes a deep breath.

“Our mission for today has been cancelled,” Boggs begins. He can see the looks of shock and curiosity on the faces of his teams. “Something terrible has happened and we are currently expecting a special team to join us as soon as they possibly can.”

“What is the terrible thing that has happened?” Marvel asks confused yet excited.

“Better yet, where are Brutus, Finnick, and Peeta?” Gale asks looking around. “They left during the program.”

“Brutus and Finnick are in another room gathering up all pertinent information needed for the special team that is coming,” Boggs says somewhat evasively.

“Great, but you didn’t tell us about Peeta,” Cato says. “Where is he?”

Boggs looks at the faces of Peeta’s friends and realizes that they deserve to know. He sighs and for the first time ever his perfect soldier stature slumps. “Peeta’s been taken.”

“I don’t understand. What do you mean he’s been ‘taken’?” Clove asks confused.

“He was in the kitchen but someone took him,” Boggs answers.

“Who took him?” Rie and Wheet ask at the same time concerned.

“We don’t really know. They did leave a note, but before you ask, we have not read the message yet. I am waiting for the forensic team to arrive,” Boggs tells the brothers. “I really can’t tell you much otherwise it could interfere with the investigation.”

“But that note could tell us where Peeta is! You should go read it and let us go get him!” Cato yells tears flowing down his cheeks. “They could be hurting him, slowly killing him while we just sit here!”

“I understand your anger and feel your pain Cato. But the best way to handle this and get evidence against whomever took Peeta is to let the forensic team come and do their job,” Boggs tells the distraught man gently. He turns to Gale. “Can you and Peeta’s brothers take Cato to your room?” he asks. He sees Gale nod. “In fact, you should all go to your rooms. No visiting other rooms. The special team will want to talk to all of you as well.” He turns to Leonitus. “Leonitus?”

“Yes sir?” he replies.

“I’m really sorry to do this to you but you will be put into a room by yourself with guards at all exits,” Boggs tells him.

“Yes sir, I understand,” Leonitus tells him. “Anything to help get Peeta back where he belongs.” He adds cryptically.

“Thank you. Now everyone else go while Leonitus comes with me,” Boggs directs.

Gale and Wheet help a weeping Cato to his feet and lead him up stairs to their room. Rie follows behind them quietly, deep in thought, closing the door to the room after they go in. They watch as Cato makes his way to the foot of the bed, sits down, and lets the sobs rock his body. Gale quickly rushes over and sits next to Cato but unsure of what to do next. Wheet follows, sitting on the other side, also not sure of what to do next. Rie grabs a chair and pulls it over to sit in front of Cato. All three wish Clove was there to help them.

“I can’t lose him,” Cato says when his cries quiet down enough for him to talk. “He’s my everything. I could deal with this whole ‘two suitor – dating Leonitus’ crap. But this? Peeta missing? It’s too much to deal with.”

“Peeta will be found Cato, you know that,” Gale tells him.

“We don’t know that Gale. We don’t even know where he is or who even has him!” Cato cries. “And nobody is out there looking for him!”

“We’re upset that no one is looking for him as well,” Rie tells Cato as Gale and Wheet nod in agreement.

Gale pulls Cato over to him, letting him cry on his shoulder. Wheet takes one of Cato’s hands while Rie takes the other, offering what little comfort they could considering none of them know exactly how. They just sit there and let Cato cry, each of the 4 deep in thought about where Peeta could be and what could be happening to him. When Rie looks up at Cato, he sees that he is half asleep.

“Cato, why don’t you crawl up on the bed and lay down for a while,” Rie suggests letting go of Cato’s hand. “You will be a little more comfortable.”

Cato looks at Rie with bloodshot eyes and nods in agreement. Wheet lets go of Cato’s other hand as well when Cato sits up.

“Don’t leave me please,” Cato begs his three friends.

“We’ll be here,” Gale promises before helping Cato scoot back on the bed. Cato lays down as Gale sits next to him. Wheet and Rie reach down and remove Cato’s shoes before covering him with a light blanket. Wheet sits down next to Cato when done. Cato is asleep less than 5 minutes later.

“He really loves Peeta,” Rie says sitting on the foot of the bed next to Cato’s feet. “Peeta deserves to have Cato in his life after all he’s been through.”

“And Peeta really loves him back,” Wheet says looking down at the sleeping Cato. “Peeta will fight to get back to Cato.”

“They belong together and no war or forced dating is going to destroy that,” Gale says. “I have never seen two people who love each other more than Peeta and Cato. It is a powerful thing to behold. Cato needs Peeta to come back.”

“I kind of agree with Cato on the whole ‘somebody should be looking for Peeta’. In fact, we should be out there looking for him before he totally disappears,” Rie says.

“Who do you think took Peeta?” Wheet asks curiously.

“My first guess would be Ariel,” Gale says looking down at the sleeping Cato. “She is working for Snow.”

“Oh crap! If Snow gets a hold of Peeta…” Rie begins.

“Don’t!” Wheet whisper yells at his brother. “Don’t think that way! Either of you! We will find Peeta soon, I know we will.”

“What I don’t understand is how whoever took him got in the house,” Gale says thoughtfully.

“Do you think it could have been one of Finnick’s staff members?” Rie asks. “That took Peeta I mean.”

“I don’t think so. I saw Jackson escorting them to the back door after breakfast and locking it behind them,” Wheet tells the pair. “Yes, I was being nosy.”

“Do you know if they all left?” Rie asks. “Maybe one of them hid to take Peeta.”

“I think Jackson would have figured out one stayed behind, don’t you?” Wheet asks rhetorically.

“But why Peeta? And why today?” Gale ponders aloud.

“What do you mean?” asks Rie concerned.

“Well, at some point in the last 48 hours, all of us have been alone. All of us have been in a position to be taken by whoever took our Peeta. So why Peeta? Why today?” Gale asks. “If Snow is truly behind the taking of Peeta, why take only him? So many of us escaped the arena alive – Katniss, Marvel, you Rie, Clove, Cato, and myself as well as Delly, Peeta, and Madge. We have all filmed promos against Snow. No, I don’t think Snow is behind Peeta’s abduction at all. I think it may be someone else,” he concludes.

“So if it’s not Snow, then who could it be? Who else would want to take Peeta?” asks Wheet.

“And why?” adds Rie.

The three of them sit there and contemplate the who and why of the kidnapping as Cato lay sleeping.

Gale feels movement next to him over an hour later. He looks down to see Cato’s hopeful eyes.

“Have you heard anything about Peeta yet?” Cato asks apprehensively.

“No, nothing yet Cato. I’m so sorry,” Gale replies regretfully.

Cato just nods in response as his eyes fill with tears. He knew when he awoke not to get his hopes up but couldn’t help the thought he could be wrong. Now, all his hope was going to focused on Peeta being safe and home soon.

Moments later there was a knock on the door. Rie goes and opens the door.

“Thom! Camille! What are you two doing here?” asks Gale.

“We’re here to help in the search of Peeta,” Thom replies, his tone business-like. “We also have some questions for the 4 of you.” He adds as he walks into the room, Foxface right behind him.

Rie closes the door and takes his place back on the foot of the bed as Cato sits up. They wait for the questions to begin.

Meanwhile, in a small house on the other side of District 4, Peeta begins to stir. He slowly sits up and takes in his surroundings. He is in a very dusty and dirty living room, the furniture covered in blankets. He rubs his hands over his face, his body trying to get over the drugging.

“Hello Peeta. It’s so nice to see you again,” a very familiar voice says from a doorway across the room.

Peeta turns to look at the doorway. “You!” he exclaims. “Bu – But you died! I saw you die!”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 39 23