For Milady

By harrypanther

AU Set during RTTE Season 5. Hiccup and Astrid are now boyfriend/girlfriend but not betrothed yet...and sudde... More

ONE: No Regrets
TWO: Staying on the Edge
THREE: Surprises
FOUR: Betrothed
FIVE: Cast Off
SIX: Arrival
SEVEN: Mixed Reactions
EIGHT: The Invisible Rival
NINE: Friends and Allies
TEN: Changing of the Guard
ELEVEN: New Perspective
TWELVE: Losing no matter what
THIRTEEN: Think Three Times
FOURTEEN: Through the fires
FIFTEEN: Someone to rely on
SIXTEEN: Saved
SEVENTEEN: Consequences
EIGHTEEN: Reactions
NINETEEN: Old Friends
TWENTY: New Purpose
TWENTY ONE: Choices
TWENTY TWO: The Greater Good
TWENTY THREE: On Dragon Wings
TWENTY FOUR: Gone
TWENTY FIVE: The Chief's Guest
TWENTY SIX: Betrayal
TWENTY SEVEN: Leverage
TWENTY EIGHT: The Wedding of Astrid Hofferson
TWENTY NINE: Despair
THIRTY ONE: Reunions
THIRTY-TWO: Heading Home
THIRTY THREE: Repercussions
THIRTY FOUR: Riders of the Edge
THIRTY FIVE: Homecoming
THIRTY SIX: Enemy, my enemy
THIRTY-SEVEN: Accomplice
THIRTY-EIGHT: Ending and Beginning
THIRTY-NINE: Family
FORTY: The Empty Chair
FORTY-ONE: The Return of the Heir
FORTY-TWO: Hope
FORTY THREE: New Understandings
FORTY FOUR: Return to Vanaheim
FORTY FIVE: Losses
FORTY-SIX: Wrecked
FORTY SEVEN: The Fifth Lens
FORTY EIGHT: The Hunt
FORTY-NINE: King and Princess
FIFTY: The Last Hurdle

THIRTY: Time

2.2K 80 79
By harrypanther

THIRTY: Time

Leaning into the turn, Hiccup felt a weary sigh run through him. They had been flying for days since they had left Granite Isle, searching every island and rocky outcrop, seeking the woman who didn't want to be found. Astrid had vanished and though he would never give up looking, a small part of Hiccup was starting to lose hope. The Gods had thwarted him at every turn, sending him the wrong way and ensuring he missed her at every opportunity-but he prayed they would be merciful now that she needed him more than ever. He knew the time constraints and was scared that Astrid would go into labour all alone, with no one to help.

Toothless gave a sudden bark and the young Viking lifted his eyes-to see the flare of magnesium-white flame shoot up into the grey and stormy sky. It was rising from a very small rocky islet, maybe ten miles ahead but as they watched, the flash of flame was repeated.

Stormfly's distress signal! Astrid...

"Come on, bud," Hiccup murmured, leaning forward as the first real surge of hope he had felt for months warmed his chest. "We need to get to them..." But Toothless's great wings were already pumping faster and for a second, the thrill of acceleration surged through Hiccup as the wind shrieked over the Night Fury's wings. Leaning as low as he could over the dragon's neck, Hiccup's emerald gaze was fixed on the misty shape ahead, the brilliant flash showing once more and he felt his pulse accelerate. Stormfly was desperate and he felt Toothless respond, the wind so fierce it was almost like a blow. And the island grew steadily but far too slowly closer.

Toothless roared and finally, Hiccup heard the longed-for screech of a Nadder, replying. The Night Fury was already swooping round and they dropped towards the blue shape, pacing anxiously on a rocky ledge outside what was definitely a cave. Toothless landed and Hiccup leapt from the saddle, barely noticing the cold wind or drizzle in the breeze, pausing and raising his hands to soothe the agitated Nadder. Gently, he eased forward, murmuring reassurances to the dragon until finally, he was able to lay his hands on her face, expertly stroking the scaly skin and rubbing her tenderly, ignoring the brief flash of memory of the Nadder the Captain had killed before him. She paused and closed her eyes, leaning into his touch and giving a little croak of worry.

"It's okay, girl," he murmured. "I'm here now. Toothless is here. We'll look after Astrid..."

The dragon's head snapped up as a low groan sounded and Hiccup's breath hitched: Astrid! He pulled away and ran through the mouth of the cave, his eyes adjusting the gloom, seeing a fire dancing away, casting irregular warm shadows. Leaning against a wall was Astrid, her head down and a hand splayed over her swollen middle, breathing heavily against the pain. He took a few steps into the cave and then paused, seeing her in distress before his heart took over and he ran to her side, resting his hand over hers and wrapping the other arm around her shoulders and pulling her close.

"Astrid," he breathed.

"You took your bloody time..." she growled through her teeth, her voice strained with the pain of the contraction. But she leaned against him, rocking slightly against the pain until it ebbed for the moment. He nuzzled against her hair.

"You made it really hard to find you," he murmured. "But I'm here now...if you want me...?" She lifted her head, looking exhausted. But her azure eyes sparkled with relief and her pale lips curved in a smile. Then her fist slammed into his shoulder, a pale shadow of her normal hit but still enough to make him wince.

"That's for being a mutton-head and ever imagining I didn't want you..." she told him. "I left for me because I could not survive seeing you married to someone else..."

"Same reason why I left," he told her gently. "I couldn't marry someone else when I love you." She half-turned to him and looked up into his face: he looked drawn as well, more tired and a little thinner than she recalled, but his eyes were glowing with his love for her.

"You're not...?" she asked and he shook his head.

"Only because we haven't got round to the ceremony yet," he told her softly. "I left Berk to find you. I refused to be betrothed to Camicazi. I was given a man to man chat by Dagur, of all people..." Astrid smiled then, her eyes widening before she grimaced and leaned forward slightly as another contraction hit. She was breathing hard and Hiccup quietly took her hands, staring into her face. "Shh...breathe with me," he told her softly. "In....out...slow it down and concentrate..."

"You try doing that when you feel like you're being twisted in two," Astrid hissed as the grip on his hands tightened painfully.

"It helps," he assured her with a grimace as she crushed his hands. "I spoke to several healers and midwifes on the way round the Archipelago and..."

"Shut up, Hiccup!" she growled. "I'm not doing some stupid breathing...oooh..." She flung herself against him and he wrapped his arms around her, cocooning her in his hug as she rocked against him. Even when he felt the tension ease, she remained pressed hard against him, her face buried in his neck.

"You okay in there?" he murmured and she nodded, burrowing her face into his neck, drinking in his familiar and much-missed scent.

"Missed you," she mumbled. "Love you. Need you."

"I'm here," he promised and steered her carefully back towards the fire. She reluctantly pulled away, sitting awkwardly on a rock and staring into the flames. Delicately, she sipped some water from her canteen and he settled by her. "What do you want me to do?" he asked her understandingly and she chewed her lip.

"I-I don't know," she admitted. "I mean, I have a fire and warm water and cloths and pads and everything I need..."

"Now you have someone to help you," he said quietly, glancing up to see the dragons edging in through the mouth of the cave. Stormfly was already closer to Astrid and Toothless had taken station at the entrance, making sure they were safe and not disturbed. She nodded and braced herself, breathing slowly as he had suggested during the next contraction.

"So what did the Chief say when you refused to go through with the marriage?" she asked him and he stared into the flames.

"Exiled myself," he admitted quietly, the animation leaving his face. Idly he snapped a twig into smaller and smaller pieces and then tossed them into the flames. "I have literally spent my entire life trying to make my Dad proud of me, trying to be the best heir I could be...and I really thought he was proud of me, that he was willing to understand who I am. I mean, I was never going to be a replica of Stoick the Vast, what with my obvious fishbone tendencies, but I had hoped he would respect me for everything else..." He sighed. "But in the end, Dagur was right. It was an easy choice: love or duty. I've given everything for my duty but I can't give you up. Because I can't be me and face the duty without you."

She blinked and her eyes swum with tears.

"You shouldn't have," she choked out as tears trickled down her cheeks. "Our families, our friends...they need a good Chief..." He wrapped an arm around her and tenderly kissed her.

"I can only be a good Chief with my Astrid by my side," he told her simply.

"Your Astrid?" she asked, her voice wry. He chuckled.

"I am yours, Milady," he reminded her. "Always have been. I just hoped..."

"I am yours," she confirmed and smiled. "Ha! Your face..." Then she hissed and gritted her teeth as another contraction hit, her hand snaking round his. "Freya, these are getting worse."

"I believe they're meant to, Milady," he said gently, his hand white from the pressure she was exerting through her grip. "We can do this..." She paused, breathing methodically until the pain eased and then she glared at him.

"We?" she growled. "What we? I'm the one doing this! You're..."

"Here to hold you, have my hand crushed, be hit, yelled at, warm water, provide cloths and generally support you while you do the hard work!" he said quickly. "And I have put your axe out of reach." She relaxed against him.

"Mmm...probably a wise move..." she admitted. "Can I have a drink?"

"Are you warm enough?" he checked as he handed her the canteen. She nodded.

"I'm sorry," she murmured as she sipped the water. "I shouldn't have run..."

"You're Astrid," he told her unnecessarily. "A fierce independent headstrong warrior. I should have known..." His fingers slid gently over her cheek and caressed her tenderly. "I should have followed."

"I waited," she revealed. "For one day, I waited. But you never came. I saw them arrive...and I knew I had lost you. So I went..." He closed his eyes and sighed.

"I should have flown out," he sighed. "I've spent the last five months looking for you..." His fingers slid into her hair and then he slowly drew her close to kiss her fiercely. "I failed you."

"You're here," she said gently, pulling back and carding her fingers through his wild auburn hair. "Hmm-you've lost your braids..." He smiled then and took her hand, kissing it gently.

"You are the only person who can put them there," he murmured. "Now what do you want?"

"This baby out," she sighed and then tensed as another pain started. "I wish I was a dragon so all I had to do was lay an egg and that would be it." A small smile quirked Hiccup's lips. "And if you say anything, I'm getting my axe!" she growled. He kissed her forehead.

"Wouldn't dare," he admitted as she breathed through the pain. "Now, I'll tend the fire and we'll get Stormfly closer. You can rest on her as things progress." She gave a smile and swiped her sweaty face.

"Since when did you get all calm and relaxed about this?" she asked him in an amused voice as he whistled the dragon closer and made sure he fed the fire.

"I'm terrified," he admitted, poking the flames. "But there is only me here so panicking and being useless isn't an option. I can't fail you, Astrid. I've already let you face this pregnancy alone. I know you've been through some amazing adventures and done some amazing things but now, you need help. I have to be here for the birth. To act as all those female relatives would if they were here."

"Thank Thor they're not," Astrid grinned, leaning against the Nadder. "I would definitely be using my axe by now..." Grinning, Hiccup went out to fetch some snow to melt and he paused by Toothless, checking the dragon was fine and then digging in his saddle bags. Swiftly, he scrawled a hasty note on a piece of parchment and then evicted Sharpshot, his Terrible Terror, from the saddlebag. The little dragon blinked and looked around lazily: he was faithful and had willingly stayed with his Rider on the quest once Fishlegs had brought him from Berk after Hiccup had escaped the Captain. Hiccup tied the message to his legs and sternly looked into the dragon's eyes.

"Find Fishlegs," he said clearly. "Go get Fishlegs. Understand, Sharpshot? Fishlegs!" The dragon licked his left eye and then casually flapped up and into the sky, unerringly heading towards the north. Waiting until he had vanished, Hiccup patted the Night Fury absently. "Keep us safe, bud. I need to be with Astrid. I'm relying on you..." There was a pause and Toothless gently nudged his nose against Hiccup's hands. "Thanks, bud," he sighed. "I just pray to Thor that everything goes well and I don't make a complete idiot of myself..." Toothless made a laughing noise and Hiccup sighed. "Yeah-very funny. You're better than that. See you later..."

Astrid was looking out for him when he returned, her eyes wide and anxious but she visibly relaxed as he entered. Smiling, he hurried to her. She had shed her tunic and was in a loose shift, walking back and forth by the fire, a hand resting on her back and he willing took over back-rubbing duties. When the next contraction passed, she leaned against him, savouring his warmth.

"Talk to me, Hiccup," she said gently. He frowned and concentrated then opened his mouth. "And I will kill you on the spot if it's about dragons." He gaped: during his captivity with the Hunters, they had treated him badly to force him to talk about dragons-but that wasn't what Astrid wanted and he loved her all the more for it. "Tell me about yourself. Things you haven't told me before. I agreed to spend the rest of my life with you...so I want to know what I agreed to." He gave a shy smile.

"You mean apart from the dragons?" he checked and she nodded.

"Yup," she said and then winced. He held her close as another contraction passed and he smiled.

"Okay...provided you talk to me as well," he invited her and she answered with a wan smile.

"You begin," she said.

Time passed and the contractions grew closer and closer. Astrid wasn't hungry but Hiccup insisted she drink pine tea with lots of honey for strength and she dutifully drank the bowl-then demanded another. Smiling, Hiccup began brewing some more. But they also talked and Hiccup shared his boyish hopes and dreams, how much he had missed his Mom, how much he had missed Astrid when she focussed on becoming a warrior and began to ignore him with everyone else. She shared her desolation at the death of her Uncle Finn and her anger at the taunts she had fielded about his 'freezing' and supposed cowardice. And though Astrid-with Hiccup's help-had cleared his name and restored his honour, the scars from those years had cut deep. It was one of the reasons, she admitted, why she had not felt able to stay on Berk: she would not have coped with the sneering gossips without committing multiple murder.

As dusk fell and the temperature outside dropped, Hiccup stoked the fire and Astrid grew more restless. She couldn't get comfortable and held Hiccup's hand more firmly, as the next contraction died away. They were almost every two minutes now and much stronger and Hiccup could tell that Astrid was starting to feel tired. But as another faded, she turned to him. Then, still breathing hard, she looked seriously into his eyes.

"If I die," she said finally, "I want a proper Viking Funeral."

Hiccup's eyes widened in shock and he stared at her, every fear he held crashing around him. His worst fear was something going wrong with him out here, all alone with no Gothi or Fishlegs or anyone else to help.

"Nothing is going to happen," he said entirely unconvincingly. She sighed.

"Liar," she whispered. "Hiccup-I'm afraid. I trust you-you're brilliant and I knew you've spoken to people so you have some idea what to do...but if Freya or Odin are displeased with what I have done, I'll die. And I want a proper Viking funeral. I will fight, I will battle to survive and save my child and I want you to make sure I end like the warrior I am."

He blinked, his emerald eyes shining.

You are a warrior-and a Chief and a Saviour. Many people owe you their lives and an entire Tribe call you Chief. You deserve burial with all honours...I just pray it never comes to that. Please Thor, please Odin...don't let it come to that...

"I promise," he said hoarsely. "I promise-but promise you won't stop fighting, Astrid. Promise me you'll do everything and more to stay with me!" Her hands tightened round his.

"Promise," she whispered. "And look after Stormfly if..." He kissed her.

"Nothing will," he told her more firmly.

The wind rose and amid it, Astrid's screams sounded, fierce and angry. Toothless's ears flattened and Stormfly grew more and more distressed...but Hiccup persisted with the instructions Astrid had given him and what he had learned on his quest about childbirth. She was responding to her instincts now, grunting as the urge to give birth grew almost irresistible. Astrid paused, her face red with exertion and eyes glazed with weariness as she drew breath, tendrils of blonde hair stuck to her sweaty face.

"I think...it's time..." she gasped.

For Hiccup, it was like a nightmarish and traumatic dream as Astrid screamed and groaned and there was blood and fluid. Astrid had probably attended a birth as a female relative-but he never had because men were not officially allowed at births. But in the end, it had been fairly obvious what needed doing because he did have a clue about the mechanics involved...and he had seen animals give birth. Once things got serious, Astrid had been almost silent, as focussed on the birth as she was in any battle and as the crumpled shape emerged all in a rush, Hiccup tenderly caught it and held it.

The child was perfect but was a strange purple colour, curled on her side but her blue eyes opened and blinked as the baby gave the smallest mew.

"Is it okay?" Astrid gasped, breathing hard and craning her neck to see. Hiccup stared into the child's face as the baby opened her toothless mouth and gave an indignant scream. Tufts of dark auburn hair stuck damply to the child's head as she grew an angry pink, small fists balled in fury at the indignity of birth.

"She's definitely your daughter," he said with a goofy grin on his face. She reached out.

"Give," she said and he carefully wrapped her in an old blanket, handing her to the urgently reaching arms as he detached the child and then waited as he had been instructed. Astrid stared into the small face and a smile lit her exhausted face. "Hello Thumper," she murmured. "Your Dad and me are just so pleased to see you..." The baby had quietened as soon as she felt her mother's arms around her and was looking, wide-eyed, at the dishevelled blonde who was smiling at her child. She shifted and sighed before settling back, beckoning Hiccup close, He slowly lowered himself to sit by her, resting against Stormfly with Astrid leaning into him. He peered into the little face, seeing the blue eyes huge and toothless mouth open but quiet. Stormfly croaked and there was a pause as a black shape poked his head round and inspected the new arrival. Toothless cooed and Hiccup glanced up, smiling.

"Well, she is one of the family," he admitted. "What ya think, bud?" Toothless warbled. "I think he approves," he grinned.

"Well if he didn't, I am not doing that all again!" Astrid snapped as he leaned close, pressing his lips to her forehead.

"Aren't you clever," he soothed her. "Look what you did." And then she relaxed, her child resting against her chest, a little fist stuffed in her mouth.

"What we did," she reminded him. "I love you...but I think I may love her just as much." He smiled, an arm wrapping around her to pull his family close.

"I love her almost as much as you, Milady," he admitted. "I am officially the luckiest man in Midgard." She closed her eyes and snuggled into his chest.

"And I am the luckiest woman-to be here, alive, with my love, our dragons-and my new daughter."

A/N: Last of the daily updates for now. Will be back in our usual weekend slot :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.2K 642 9
After asking Astrid for a sleepover, the young couple sleeps together in the same bed for the first time. It quickly becomes a habit for Astrid and H...
11.3K 201 16
Astrid Hofferson is no ordinary girl. When both of your parents are famous celebrities how could she be? And while she could tell you the difference...
597K 10.3K 149
Just a few Hiccup and Astrid One-Shots based on the How To Train Your Dragon franchise and the Modern World. Now, if you don't know what Hiccstrid i...
168K 5.2K 34
Modern AU. Returning to Berk to visit her family, internationally-renowned soccer star Astrid Hofferson literally runs into old school friend Hiccup...