overnight sensation ✧ simon...

Por nefariousmermaid

❝i'm sorry i'm not an easy person to want.❞ ❝who said i wanted easy? i don't crave easy, i crave goddamn diff... Más

00 | INTRO
00 | FOREWORD

01 | GOLD RUSH

4.7K 215 37
Por nefariousmermaid

ONE | GOLD RUSH

i don't like anticipating my face in a red flush, i don't like that anyone would die to feel your touch. everybody wants you

Governor Square, 1813

     The Bridgerton name had always been held in high regard across the Ton, but now holding more bounty than ever with their perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters coming of age. Anthony, Benedict and Colin, the eldest three sons, enriched themselves with education, sexual partners and drinking - while Delilah and Daphne were not rewarded the same fate. Over the years of sixteen to twenty one, the darling twins became proficient in wearing corsets and flattering dresses, learning how to be a doting wife and diversifying their musical talents.

Daphne took to it like a duck to water. But Delilah's path thus far had been filled with far more thorns; she couldn't accept living solely for pleasing a man and bearing children. In her own thoughts, she knew she was meant for so much more.

"I should think if you tighten those strings anymore, Rose, I shall faint within the hour." The elder twin's usual satirical tone brought a short chuckle to her maid's lips. Rose strained on the lilac laces once more before fastening them behind the bodice.

"Your mama would have liked me to tighten it at least eight more times, my lady. I should want you to last at least two hours at the ball though." Rose winked at Delilah through the large mirror, adjusting her stockings and underskirt while the debutante played with the sapphire pendants dangling from her ears. Her mother had worn them for her first ball three decades ago and insisted the gems brought good luck, as that night introduced her to Lord Bridgerton.

The thoughts of her father came to a halt as a sharp knock landed against the dressing room's door. "Lilah, are you decent?" Eloise fretted momentarily, not caring for an answer before barging in and sticking a small concertinaed piece of paper in her face.

"Yes, El, thank you ever so much for awaiting my response and respecting our sisterly boundaries." Delilah drawled, taking hold of the sheet as it flapped in her face once more. "Am I supposed to care what this pertains to?"

Her eyes flitted across the print, reading her own name next to the words 'angelic' and 'ethereal'.

"I thought you might since, oh I do not know, she named yourself and Daph this season's incomparables. Our sister could barely contain her joy."

"Oh." Was all the elder twin could muster. The wind knocked itself out of her lungs and her heart began to thud rather than beat at its usual pace. Delilah already understood many more eyes than usual would be on her tonight, at the first ball of the season, due to her last name. But this felt like a target more than an accomplishment.

She shook the thoughts away and lay a smile atop her nervous lips, "I can only imagine our sister's elation. What colour do you suppose hides trepidation more so, ivory or lilac?"

"Lilac, dear sister, the whole Ton shall be in complete awe of you tonight." Eloise spoke softly, taking the paper back and squeezing her sister's shoulder in comfort. The two could go from bickering to protective within seconds, thinking more alike than they did with their mother or Daphne. Without anymore words shared, the younger Bridgerton left.

Rose helped Delilah into her pale dress, layers of lace and tulle intertwining with small pearls along the neckline and bust. "It makes your eyes sparkle, my lady."

After waiting another half an hour for Daphne to fix her hair flawlessly, their horse drawn carriage brought four of the Bridgerton family through Mayfair to Danbury house. The first ball of the season was in full swing when they arrived, Anthony fixed danced cards around the twins wrists before the four made their way into the dance hall.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆
The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed. For every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster."
⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Conversation hushed and all eyes flew up to the two incomparables. Daphne clenched her sister's hand in her silk clad one, knowing the inevitable fear coursing through her currently. Each of the twenty steps down the staircase felt as though Delilah's legs would give way, but she made it down without her demure visage faltering. Beautiful melodies carried through the air over her hammering heart.

Tonight did not mean much to Delilah, but the idea of abiding by so many societal rules made her head spin. The eldest Bridgerton daughter was brash and sometimes ever so unladylike- it felt wrong trying to find a husband whilst introducing herself as not in fact herself.

Violet would be left nothing short of humiliated if she portrayed anything less than the perfect young woman- so she bit back any witty comments and instead offered her hand to the man Anthony was currently eyeing up and down. With less than a minute exchange, the man scuttled back off not wanting to cause a scene.

"Ambrose is a cheat. A man of any honour ensures his debts are fully paid." Anthony spat, protective eyes scanning the ball room for any more eligible men with secrets hidden behind their longing looks.

The three left behind Violet and took a turn around the lavish room. Daphne continued pointing out men who felt pleasing to her young eyes, though Delilah found nobody worth a second glance. They were all the middling and identical in most ways. A smile only broke out on her rosy lips once Colin and Benedict barrelled into view.

"If the only gentlemen present this evening
are our brothers, then we're in a great deal of trouble." The elder twin claimed, earning a glare from Daphne.

"Nonsense-" Daphne began but was cut off by Anthony.

"On guard!" The sisters found Lady Danbury approaching and spun together, ready to simper in the other direction.

"Too late!" Lady Danbury called a few yards away, "I already noted you."

Each of the Bridgerton's turned back in haste, bowing their heads and greeting the spectacular ball's host. She was known across all of London for her no nonsense and hard headed approach to, well, everything. If there was an issue, she would know, and soon everyone else would too.

"My dear ladies, you both look rather lovely this evening. Is there a reason I've yet to see either of you on the dance floor?" She raised an eyebrow pointedly awaiting a response from one of the two debutantes.

Anthony cleared his throat and sent her a small smile, "All in good time, Lady Danbury."

Squeezing Delilah's shoulder, Lady Danbury passed by to greet more guests, "You poor things."

Two of the three brothers disappeared into the crowd and Delilah plucked up the courage to excuse herself. She felt suffocated by lingering gazes and couldn't bring herself to accept any of the men in ownership of those eyes had intentions even close to innocence. Anthony tried his best to stop her, but she'd dashed away quicker than he could argue.

The eldest Bridgerton daughter knew to be careful around men no matter their notoriety, one minute of being alone could shatter her reputation. She hated that most, knowing how much freedom her brothers were granted. Delilah's feet picked up their pace, weaving through dancing couples to a quiet pocket of the vast hall. With her head swimming, she made it three quarters of the way before her body slammed into something.

Not something, someone.

Her hands lay against smooth fabric, pushing off not a moment later to stand steady once more. Eyes wild and heartbeat erratic, Delilah's embarrassment washed away after finding a pensive stare baring down on her. He was a complete stranger, not some Lord her mama had taught her to memorise.

Simon opened his mouth ready to demand any kind of remorse. After being hounded by pushy mothers and eager girls for so long, his patience was beginning to wear thin. But seeing her doe eyes, wanting to escape just as much as he did, he couldn't bring himself to raise his voice.

"I do believe I owe you an apology, Miss. Did I hurt you in any way?" Simon implored graciously, his gravelly voice almost causing Delilah to swoon.

Almost. Delilah had never swooned in her life, she knew exactly how to falsify it, and honestly thought the entire notion of swooning was made up. But now she knew it was real, and maybe other things she had dismissed were too.

"Not at all, my Lord. I'm quite alright, perhaps a bruised ego but nothing physical." Delilah brushed her hands against her skirt, looking up at the stranger inquisitively, "I'm-"

"Bridgerton!"

|
And that is what we call a meet-cute 🥰
Don't forget to comment and vote
Love, Scarlett

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

267K 6.4K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
2.3M 119K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
138K 3.2K 46
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
361K 17.6K 79
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...