Our Chemistry || ✔️

By TheRealLorraineMoore

Who knew that love could blossom in Chemistry class? When Harper and Alec engage in a mega pickup line battle... More

before • you • start
- ♡ -
- 2 -
- ♡ -
- 1 -
- 2 -
- 3 -
- 4 -
- 5 -
- ♡ -
- 1 -
- 2 -
suggestion • dropbox

- 1 -

176 9 25
By TheRealLorraineMoore

In the winter of my seventeenth year, I met someone special.

The way we met was musical. Literally.

I remember I had been humming at the time. I didn't even know what I was humming, really. It seemed to be something I did quite often. Just singing random tunes that I made up in my head in that instant.

Anyway, I guess someone heard me because they whistled. It wasn't the cheap wolf-whistle that guys did. Instead, it was low, almost appreciative-sounding. I turned around.

Before me stood a blonde guy, with shiny green eyes. He had a well-defined face with a jawline. Pretty handsome, really. I recognized him, as he had some classes with me.

Hmm... what was his name, again?

"Wow. Which song was that?"

Name... I really need a name......

"Um, oh. It wasn't any song. Just a random tune. Just... me being me," I laughed nervously.

"I didn't know you were interested in music, Chase. Because it's a pretty well-known fact that you don't even know who the Beatles ar—"

"I know who the Beatles are," I scowled at him, "I don't live under a rock, you know."

Oh come on now, His name.... uhhhhhh......

"But you don't listen to their songs. It's a pity really. With that voice, you could have done something in music," He said, putting his hands in the pockets of his black jeans. I stared at him, and he stared back.

Oh wait, I think I've got it!

"You don't remember my name, do you?" He said, with a boyish smile.

"Of course I do, Alex! Have a little faith in my brainpower and the number of classes we both are assigned to."

Three, to be exact. The boy was in three of my classes and I didn't know his name. I should really start paying attention to my surroundings. 

He continued smiling. I guess it was contagious because soon, I was smiling too – albeit confusedly. He slowly, but surely walked towards me. His hands were still in his pockets. I just stood where I stood. I had nothing in my hand, except for my artbook and a blue-green shoulder bag (with a lot of badges) slung around me.

"So," He said.

"So," I repeated.

"My name is unfortunately not Alex." His voice was playful.

Dammit.

"Oh. Um. Well... uh..." I said, a little guilt rising in my heart, "Sorry?"

He chuckled. "Well, I'm really hurt, you know. I remembered your name. But you didn't remember mine. So, how are you gonna compensate for this grave mistake?"

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Oh shut up. You just know my family name."

"It's Harper. Your name is Harper Chase."

I stared at his green eyes. And he stared at my blue ones.

"Nevermind then," I bit my lips. He was being really flirtatious.

It was almost making me nervous and a tad bit excited (not gonna lie).

Turns out, I could compensate him by "buying lunch". Of course, I agreed. 

Huh. I don't know what I expecting, but somehow, I was disappointed.

I wanted him to ask something else. But whatever. Thinking back... I still didn't know his name. I made a mental note to ask him when I saw him at lunch.

But that was still eons away, so I resumed walking.

• • •

I headed to Chemistry. Chemistry wasn't one of my favorite subjects. I did quite well, but the only reason I did not like Chem was because of our teacher.

Mr. Rode.

He was fresh out of college, ambitious, nice, kind, handsome, young... and he liked to ship students. You heard me right, fellas. He paired fellow students romantically based on their visuals and personalities — which was probably because he had some sort of weird and creepy side-character complex. 

But that wasn't all. I hated the guy because he made us sit with the people he shipped us with and changed it accordingly. Every. freaking. week. 

And although it was a chore to change seats every single Monday, I didn't really mind because it was a nice chance to find a boyfriend and miss the first 15 minutes of class... Until I was made to sit with this girl who I absolutely abhorred.

God, it was HELL. Imagine sitting shoulder to shoulder next to the person you kill in your dreams. It was irritating, annoying, and downright exhausting. I think my blood pressure rose twice the amount in that one week of class than it ever did in my life. 

I didn't even mind that he was making me – a heterosexual female – sit with another girl, because it was a pretty well-known fact that Mr. Rode was bonkers and I liked guys. The true problem was that he made me sit next to Natasha Kingsley. That bitch.

And his reason? According to him, we seemed like the perfect enemies-to-lovers couple. What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? How the fuck do enemies find it in themself to love each other? Gross.

Anyway, this was the day I was freed of Natasha Kingsley forever, and I couldn't be more grateful. But that gratefulness turned into annoyance after wondering what would happen if that psycho teacher made me sit next to another weirdo.  

I literally dragged myself into the classroom at the thought of sitting next to another asshole. And sure enough, everyone was already standing, ready to be changed into different seats. I sighed. This was such a normal routine at this point, that no one bothered to argue with the guy anymore.

I groaned and stood next to my many groaning, hormonal fellow peers. This class was like a real-time version of Tinder. Only it was for minors. And it was against their will. Wasn't this shit illegal or something?

Soon, Mr. Rode arrived, walking in with his big cheesy smile. He lived for this shit.

Giving two names, one guy-one girl and occasionally guy-guy and girl-girl, he made the pairs and pointed to the seat we'll be sitting in for this week. 

Some couples sat together, and some couples were broken and made to sit with other people. People who preferred to be left alone were made to socialize. And people who liked to socialize were left alone (if they weren't shipped with anyone – that was probably another kind of burn on the ego). So yeah, it was pretty weird and awkward and the only person left smiling was Mr. Rode himself.

Suddenly, I heard my name.

"Harper Chase—" I got up "—and Alec Smith."

I sat on a lab table on the inner side. It felt nice to sit beside the window. Cool breeze fanned my face, and I could look out at the numerous people who were playing in the field. Those who had free time or had to practice. And, I closed my eyes and enjoyed it.

I felt someone sit next to me.

"Hey, Chase." An oddly familiar voice said.

And I turned immediately, only to see the guy I had talked to minutes ago. The guy I thought was "Alex" but whose actual name was apparently "Alec (Smith)"

My cheeks burned. 

"Apparently we are shipped," He chuckled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83 11 8
"You also think you know my 'type', do you?" I raised my fingers above my head gesturing for quotation marks. "Well then, let's hear it. What's my ty...
409K 7.7K 44
***Completed*** *Mature Content Warning* TW: Car accident, Depression, sexual content His touch made me shiver as I couldn't take my eyes off of his...
2M 57.2K 45
~COMPLETED~ | This story is being slowly edited. "As much as you want to plan your life, it has a way of surprising you with unexpected things that w...
1.4M 40.8K 49
Completed✔️ Disclaimer: I wrote this when I was 15 so it is a bit cliché, and many mistakes in the story:) All Brooklyn's life, she's been more of a...