Carter Ortese is Trouble - co...

By radesilets

Officially out in paperback on Amazon - this is the UNEDITED version! Get the edited version and read the sto... More

Chapter 1: Carter
Chapter 3: Carter
Chapter 4: Emma
Chapter 5: Carter
Chapter 6: Emma
Chapter 7: Carter
Chapter 8: Emma
Chapter 9: Carter
Chapter 10: Emma
Chapter 11: Carter
Chapter 12: Emma
Chapter 13: Carter
Chapter 14: Emma
Chapter 15: Carter
Chapter 16: Emma
Chapter 17: Carter
Chapter 18: Emma
Chapter 19: Carter
Chapter 20: Emma
Chapter 21: Carter
Chapter 22: Emma
Chapter 23: Carter
Chapter 24: Emma
Chapter 25: Carter
Chapter 26: Emma
Chapter 27: Carter
Chapter 28: Emma
Chapter 29: Carter
Chapter 30: Emma
Chapter 31: Carter
Chapter 32: Emma
Chapter 33: Carter
Chapter 34: Emma
Chapter 35: Carter
Chapter 36: Emma
Chapter 37: Carter
Chapter 38: Emma
Chapter 39: Carter
Chapter 40: Emma
Chapter 41: Carter
Chapter 42: Emma
Chapter 43: Carter
Chapter 44: Emma
Chapter 45: Carter
Chapter 46: Emma
Chapter 47: Carter

Chapter 2: Emma

191 16 7
By radesilets

"I'll see you Friday," he says, making me pause long enough for the cafeteria to erupt in whispers. His voice is lower than I remember, but maybe that's because the last time we talked was in grade school. Or maybe his voice is lower because he wants people to talk about us.

My shoulders tighten as some people swivel at their lunch tables to gawk at me, and I have to force myself to relax. Carter's been in my school since kindergarten. Nothing about him should be scary, except he is. I'm not sure what rumors about him are true, but I'll probably find out on Friday. That is, if my parents don't hear about the date and ground me for an eternity. I am already preparing myself for their interrogation about where I'm going and who I'm going with.

I slink back to my friends--the ones who accused me of never being able to ask out a guy. I lift my head high, trying to ignore the gaping mouths and wide eyes pointed directly at me. I try to make it seem like I had planned for this, wanted it even.

"Well, not only can I ask a guy out, but I can get a date." I slide my clarinet case onto the empty seat next to me and plop back down in my chair as the girls break out in high-pitched giggles.

"Oh. My. God." Stacy accentuates each word, making each a stand alone sentence. She pushes her blond hair behind her shoulders and gives me a conspiratorial look with her dark grey eyes. Her makeup gives her a refined edge, and she never overdoes it. She leans across the table. "You cannot go on a date with the Carter Oh-Tease."

The way she says his last name makes my stomach clench. If the rumors are true ... I don't let myself finish the thought. We all know Carter Ortese is trouble; there's no reason for me to think about it further.

"I think it's romantic." Mika flutters her long dark lashes and juts out her lower lipe in a pout. She's on my left hand side, and our group is at the edge of the long row of cafeteria tables. Next to her is the line for pizza. "Bad boy gets seduced by--"

"Ew, I am not seducing anyone."

Mika cuts me a glare, but continues, "--the good girl, and she convinces the bad boy to negate his satanic ways."

"What is this? Eighteenth century England?" I snort, hoping that my forced bravado will eventually make me feel better. "I'm pretty sure Carter is not a satanist." As I say the words, I try to think about food, contemplating a salad for lunch, but my stomach feels off. Maybe a slice of toast instead? Just something to tide me over until I get home.

"I heard he lost his virginity in a threesome," Stacy whispers, slapping Britt on the arm. Britt rubs at the spot, like Stacy's actually done some damage.

I glance down the aisle and realize that Carter's already gone. Once a loner, always a loner. Though, I guess if I were him, I wouldn't need friends either. He's always been a wild card.

"I heard that he mugged the guy he sold weed to, so he could get the weed back and sell it again." Britt devolves into a giggle fit, as if accusing someone of a crime is the most hilarious thing in the world. Her lips disappear into her wide smile as she winks at me. Her light brown eyes sparkle.

"I heard that he went to one of the Junkit parties and gave everyone angel dust laced with--"

"Stop it," I say, bringing my case back into my lap. I clutch it against my chest. Even though the crowd in the cafe is starting to thin out, I feel claustrophobic. My friends are reminding me of all the reasons why I wanted Carter to say no in the first place. But he didn't, and I'm still not sure why. I'm not like the people I've seen him talking to, and I'm certainly not like any of the girls he's been with in the past. And I certainly don't want to think about those stupid Junkit parties.

Stacy purses her lips. "The point is, Emma, you can't go on a date with him. What will people say?"

"Oh my gosh, what will your parents say?" Britt sucks in a breath.

"My parents aren't going to find out, because I'll tell them I'm going on a date with Nicholas."

"That's almost worse than going on a date with Carter." Stacy pushes some lettuce around on her plate. She brings a small bite up to her lips and nibbles on it.

"Yeah, but mom and dad won't ground her for life." Mika gives me a smile and pats my arm. I mouth a weak thank you to her, since she's always sticking up for me. She's the kind of girl who is gorgeous, but has no idea she is. With dark olive skin that tans instantly in the sun and dark chocolate eyes, she's one of the most exotic looking people in our town. Her black hair cascades like silk down her back, going well past her shoulder blades.

Britt scrunches her nose, and her freckles are still dark from working at a summer camp for the last few months. "It might be worth it. I mean, despite being him, he is sexy."

I ignore her. "Nicholas is like the nerdy son my parents never got to have." I sigh.

Nicholas Daniels is on the fast track to becoming our valedictorian. He runs our chapter of the National Honors Society, and he probably spends his weekends volunteering at an old folks' home or playing with homeless kittens. Which means, he is the kind of guy that lives up to my parents' insane standards that even I haven't been able to meet.

Nicholas also resembles someone who was plucked from a clothes catalogue, one with sleek swept-back hair and dark rimmed glasses. Anyone who knows anything about looks understands that he'll be stunning after he grows into his lanky stretched-out frame, but right now, he's all limbs. And honestly, once I ship off to college, Nicholas Daniels and I will never cross paths again. So he is not high on my radar of datable guys.

Then again, neither is Carter.

"So you're really going to do it?" Stacy drags a carrot stick through her ranch dressing. She barely bites the end of it, more licking the dressing off rather than eating the carrot.

My three friends stare at me with wild eyes, and I swear they all inch closer. Nothing like a good drama. In our group, it is usually Stacy who has the drama, not me. We're in uncharted territory.

"I asked him, and he said yes. So yeah, I'm going to do it."

"You could fake an illness," Britt suggests.

"Or claim there's been a death in the family," Stacy says.

I look to Mika, who shrugs. "I wouldn't go with the death thing, because then you have to remember who died."

"I'm not going to lie," I moan.

"So you're going on the date?" Stacy's mouth drops open so wide that you'd think I've suggested robbing a bank.

"Guess so."

"Unless you actually get sick?" Mika drags her hair over her shoulder and starts absently knotting it into a braid. "I mean, if they keep running us ragged in gym class, it might actually happen."

"You have to tell us everything," Britt says.

"Of course she will," Stacy says, narrowing her eyes at me and daring me to say otherwise. After I remain silent, she shrugs. "But seriously, I bet the thing about his virginity is true."

"Which one? The one where he lost it to his babysitter, or the one about his losing it when he was only twelve?" Britt tilts her head to the side.

Stacy shakes her head. "The threesome. The way I see it--"

I inwardly groan and rest my head on the top of my clarinet case. I have to start practicing for my next solo performance soon, but with the way things have been at home, I'm not sure when I'll have the time. At least, I probably won't have the time now that I'm actually going on a date with Carter Ortese. My Friday night plans have been ruined, all because he said yes. At least I got him to agree to pay for it all.

I let out a long breath. My internal mantra says it will be fine, but the more my friends drag on the discussion about how and who Carter Ortese lost his virginity to, the more I worry I've made a tremendous mistake. One night with Carter could change my entire life.

Though, there is one weird thing about all these rumors. I've never actually seen Carter talk to a girl, let alone slide his arm across someone. I've never seen him sell any drugs. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I'm not sure what's true, but my heart slams against my rib cage like I'm going on a date with a demon. I need to calm down before I burst.

With silky blue eyes like his and a mess of dark hair on his head with gorgeous sun-kissed skin, who could resist? Any girl would be attracted to him, and that much is true. He's probably able to seduce a girl with a second glance. Maybe even with the first. I wouldn't be surprised if he's slept with half of the cheer squad with his looks.

"Isn't that right, Emma?"

"What?" I tune back into the conversation.

"You'll tell us if the Prince Albert piercing is real?"

"What?" I gawk at Stacy before straightening. "It is one date, okay? It's not like I'm throwing myself at him on the first date."

"So there's going to be a second one?" Stacy smirks.

Britt laughs and wiggles her eyebrows suggestively. "You say that now, but who knows what you'll do once you're alone with him. I mean, I'd do something and--"

"You'd do something to anyone with a six pack and a chiseled jaw." Mika slaps her hand on the table. She looks at me with a half smile. "You do you, Emma. I've got your back."

"It's no fun if she can't do a little digging while--"

I can't listen to this anymore. I grab my case and head into the hallway. My stomach growls, and it's only when I reach my locker to get my books that I realize I've forgotten to eat. This isn't the first time either. Lately, it's been hard to keep large meals down, and sometimes, I'm not hungry at all.

Wrenching the books in my locker aside, I reach for the jar of almonds stashed in the back of my locker. I unscrew the lid and slam a handful of them into my mouth. Regardless of how sick my stomach feels, I need to eat to survive.

I'm not sure what will happen with Carter on Friday, but I know I need to focus on band and my upcoming solo. I need to figure out how to pass Honors Calculus before I drown in nightmares of cosines and tangents. Junior year is going to be the hardest yet, especially if my friends keep acting the way they are.

Taking out my AP English Literature book, also known as the Brick, I slam the door to my locker shut and try to push all thoughts of Carter Ortese out of my head, but my mind keeps replaying "I'll see you Friday" in the low tenor of his voice, making it impossible for me to forget.

- - - -

Happily accepting feedback on Emma's chapters! If you liked this part, don't forget to subscribe to the book and star the chapter! I'll be publishing  at least once a week until this novel is finished. This is part of my April Camp NaNoWriMo 2018 Project.

Liked the writing overall? I have published novels and other titles on WattPad! Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 61.5K 56
''There is only one thing crossing my mind right now. If he hates me so much, then why the hell is he kissing me back?'' ----------------------- Emma...
Where We Begin By Lara

General Fiction

831 67 50
He is an off-beat jokester with a sensitive heart, having trouble adjusting to life in California after moving from Chicago. She is the picture of po...
4.6K 586 6
Typical teenager Joanna Gore Alex is less than thrilled to be the new girl in a new school. During her first day, she quickly learns teachers obvious...
18K 406 37
#previous title..his second chance #Book one of my first series__ "Open Wound" Jake William's the golden boy that you would call every girls dream...