Empress (A Tickle Commission)

By Featherscape

First Princess Hong Yuanji wishes to escape the binds of her palace walls from her domineering father. When s... More

Beyond Gold Walls
Cat and Mouse
An Unwanted Visitor
A Needed Escape
The Ticklish Thief
A Night In
A Sufferable Secret
A Passion for Cleaning
Reconditioning
Giving Shelter
Intimate Feast
Hard Work
The Lost Princess Returns
Ticklish Festival
Feasting Passions
Unveiling Truths
Tainted Roads
Information Through Screams
Forked Tongue Promises
Sparks of Ruin
Darkened Skies

Outing

1K 2 0
By Featherscape

A basket harness of freshly pulled turnips and leeks hung across Meiling’s torso. It lightly tapped against her chest as she walked the trail from her house back into the heart of the marketplace. In each of her hands hung wicker baskets, one of cabbages and the other of potatoes. Against her back, bundles of rice stalks hung over her shoulder, packed tightly together. She walked through the path, her footings sinking into the dirt below with each heavy step. Meiling strolled with her back strong and narrow down the path. She turned back to her companion, inching by behind her.

“How you holding up back there?” Meiling asked. From behind, Lee took slow, struggled steps as she carried a single basket of barley with both hands. Lee grunted as she fought to catch up with Meiling. Meiling stopped to watch the girl take her stride. Lee made her way up to Meiling and let the basket hit the ground for a brief rest.

“H… how… do you do this… all by yourself?” Lee asked, panting. The petite girl wiped her head of sweat, brushing aside her midnight locks. Meiling stood, a glimmer shined in both eyes as she gazed back at Lee. Her stare lingered. Her eyes squinted naturally into a wide smile.

“You want me to carry it?” Meiling asked. Lee lifted the basket with a long grunt before waddling it over to Meiling.

“I can... do it,” Lee said, her voice strained as her muscles tensed all over her frail body.

“You sure?” Meiling asks. Lee trotted out in front Meiling as Meiling watched her pass with a smile.

“I… I can...” Lee said with a straining voice. She got another ten steps down the path before having to set the basket down again. Lee puffed heavy breaths over the grainy assortment.

“You can do it,” Meiling said, walking up next to her. Lee looked up to Meiling, carrying two baskets, a pack of rice, and a carriage hanging beneath her ample chest.

“How… do you… do this… by yourself?” Lee asked again, her breaths sinking achingly deep in her chest.

“I usually just make two trips,” Meiling said. “You want to turn back and I’ll take these into market myself?”

“No… I can do it,” Lee said insistently. Lee lifted the basket again and continued down the path. Meiling smiled and laughed to herself. “What’s… so funny?”

“Nothing, you’re just so…” Meiling began saying. Her face warmed as she stumbled over her words. “Strong. You’re strong. You can do it.” Meiling hauled her own supply alongside Lee, struggling to maintain her single basket. Lee’s arms locked in front of her. Her back tilted, narrow and stiff. Meiling carried her supply with a quiet ease, except when Lee’s soft, struggled whines would cause her to stop and assess her friend’s condition.

“Do you… not have… like, cattle or… a mule for this?” Lee asked.

“A cow,” Meiling said, “but she’s not a carrier. Her name’s Chen. She was sick when my mother found her the year that she died. Chen’s owner was going to let her die off, but my mother took her and nursed her back.”

“Why have… I not seen… her?” Lee asked. Meiling smiled down to the girl, entertaining her with conversation to distract from her strain.

“She’s mostly wild now,” Meiling said. “She lives in the groves behind the woods. She’ll return every so often for food or to be milked. If you stick around long enough, I’m sure you’ll meet her.”

“Can’t wait….” Lee said. Her enthusiasm was not lost on her aching tone.

“But I don’t have her do anything that I wouldn’t do myself,” Meiling said. “She doesn’t have many years left. I want to make her time left as carefree and pleasant as possible.”

“That’s… really sweet…” Lee said. She continued to follow Meiling down the wooded path. Sweat trickled down her body as her heart pounded from the physical stress that she had never been so subjected to as a princess. As Cao Lee, she was more than willing to experience life as a commoner, especially if such a life kept her close to Meiling. Lee looked up to Meiling, walking with such unwavering strength and confidence, knowing that the path she had chosen with her was far more preferable than a royal life of luxury with anyone else.

Lee could tell when they began approaching the marketplace. The road became a clearer trail. More and more people convened down their path. The laughter of children rang out as they played in the fields. Whole families of farmers appeared pulling crops in groves. They collected their spoils in large baskets, throwing them into carriages and over the backs of mules. The gentle murmur of livestock cast an array of life and purpose over the rolling village landscape.

Meiling lead Lee farther down the road, cutting through quaint residences. The sun rose over the distant mountainside. Lee looked up to the morning beams cresting over the peaks beyond. Most others failed to notice, carrying on about their laborious tasks, but Lee nearly stopped in her tracks. Meiling looked back to her.

“What’s wrong?” Meiling asked. “You need to rest again?” Lee paused, her face basked in a flowery glow.

“It’s just… so beautiful,” Lee said. “I never really noticed before.” Meiling gazed back at the girl and smiled. Lee’s cheeks bathed in rose pools. Her lips rested gently in a soft smile, pastel petals. Her hair draped over the back of her neck like a waterfall of shimmering ebony. Lee’s eyes soaked in the sight, they themselves sights which Meliling beheld with awe. A light, hollow bore into Meiling’s chest as she peered back to Lee, drinking in nature’s splendor like a child awakening to beauty for the first time.

“Yeah,” Meiling said, smiling. “It is.” Lee looked at the sunbeams spearing over the mountaintops for several more moments before turning back to Meiling, still caught in her own gaze. Meiling shook her head slightly, turning back to the path. “Come on, traveler. Let’s get this stuff to market. It’s not that much further now.”

The farther they walked, the busier Lee noticed the village becoming. More people rushed past them in carts and on foot. More children played with various toys, leaving their parents and older siblings to the work. Lee looked around as she had the last time she visited the village square. People seemed happy, most at least content, with their lives. People smiled and cordially greeted one another. To Lee’s surprise, Meiling was not shy to such salutations.

“Tian!” Meiling shouted. Lee looked to where Meiling was leering. Outside of a small hut, a young woman swept off the walkway. She looked up to Meiling, a tight ribbon holding her hair back brushed against her neck as she turned. Lee sat her basket briefly down on the ground as she wrapped her scarf around the bottom half of her face.

“Mei!” Tian replied. The girl was taller than Lee, and only a little more so than Meiling. She leaned the broom against the front door and ran out to greet Meiling. “Hey, how you been?”

“Good,” Meiling said. “Just doing what I do.” Tian nodded.

“So I hear,” Tian said with a smile. “You hear to give my father trouble again?” Meiling laughed.

“He loves me,” Meiling said confidently. Tian smirked.

“He does seem to be in a better mood whenever you’re around to catch,” Tian said. “Don’t tell him I said that.”

“No problem,” Meiling said. “I figured as much. But no, just business today. You know how it is.”

“Sure,” Tian said. The friendly stranger looked over to Lee. “And you have help today, I see.”

“Yeah,” Meiling said. She looked back to Lee and smiled. “Tian, this is Cao Lee. She’s a traveler who’s been staying with me.”

“Oh,” Tian said. She bowed toward Lee. “Well, it’s nice to meet you, Cao Lee.”

“And this is Gao Tian,” Meiling said. “She’s the daughter of Commander Qiang of the royal guard.” Lee smiled and bowed in return.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Lee said.

“And you as well,” Tian said. “Would either of you care for a bite to eat or some morning tea?” Lee looked up to Meiling, who looked back down to Meiling.

“Maybe later,” Meiling said. “I’d love to catch up, but we need to unload this stuff before the square gets too busy.”

“I understand,” Tian said with a warm smile. “Well, safe travels to you both.”

“Thank you,” Lee said. She bowed. Tian bowed in return.

“Talk to you later, Tian,” Meiling said, lifting her baskets.

“You too, Mei,” Tian said. Lee lifted her basket with a slight groan, the heavy weave requiring all of her strength to haul. She followed Meiling still as Meiling turned down toward the road.

“She… seems nice,” Lee said.

“She’s an old friend,” Meiling said. “We grew up close, I guess you could say.”

“I see…” Lee said.

Lee and Meiling slowly made it into the village square. Sweat dripped down Lee’s cherry cheeks in streams. The common area was bustling with the life of Xian. Lee peered all over, studying the bursting display of community from within the domain she had been reigning over since birth. Much like the day she arrived, the streets exploded with life. Travelers and explorers raced by them in search of fine amd exotic wares. Merchants lined the streets behind makeshift stands. Callers announced new products and pushed their merchandise. Xian was alive in a way that Lee could still only barely believe it had always been behind lifeless walls.

Lee looked around. The exploratory senses distracted her from the weight of the basket, to which for the moment, she felt more accustomed. She kept her face lowered, hidden away behind her scarf to keep from being noticed as anything more than a humble visitor and Meiling’s companion. Meiling led Lee confidently through the village marketplace. To Lee, Meiling shined with an alluring glow. The poise she maintained in carrying several times her own haul was nothing short of inspirational, and how she could still look so beautiful during was simply magic to the girl.

“Where are we going?” Lee asked, speaking over the heavily murmuring crowd around them.

“We’ll be dropping off some of this soon,” Meiling answered back. The girls weaved in and around people, all much more preoccupied with their own business. Lee looked to each of them. None of them hardly made eye contact with her. She wondered if any would even recognize her without the scarf. Several people bumped against her shoulder, nearly making her drop the basket in her hands on several occasions. While she had been enjoying life among the common people, Lee began to realize the appeal of the the luxurious, royal life she once lived.

Meiling led Lee up to a small stand amongst several others in a row. The stand was selling crops, fruits, and vegetables out for pinches of silver. The shop was being run by and older woman. The elder was exchanging goods with a hurried traveler when the girl approached.

“We’re just going to go ahead and get this out of the way,” Meiling said quietly to Lee.

“What do you mean?” Lee asked. Meiling smirked.

“This one doesn’t like me all that much,” Meiling said with a shrug. She turned back to the woman, finalizing her transaction. The old woman sneered back at Meiling with darting eyes. Meiling smiled sweetly back at her. “Elder Qidoma, how are you today?” The woman shambled back to a flimsy seat.

“Fine, as long as no one steals my goods today,” Qidoma said. Meiling laughed.

“Well, you’ll have no trouble from me today,” Meiling said. “The commander brings you your payments, right?” Qidoma sighed.

“Still looks bad for business, you running amuck,” Qidoma said. “Inspires others to do the same.”

“I would never encourage anyone to inconvenience you,” Meiling said. “In fact, I’m just here to drop off a few things.” Qidoma stared back to Meiling. Meiling sat down baskets of cabbages and potatoes beside her shop. “Just some stuff I picked and washed early this morning. Should all be good.” Qidoma kept her beady eyes on Meiling for a lasting moment before pulling them away to examine her goods. She flipped through the crops to assess their worth. The old woman said nothing as she reached for a small satchel. She produced a coin purse and withdrew six silver pieces. Meiling reached her hand out to take the coins. “Aww, come on. You can’t do better than that?”

“You stop stealing my things for your own amusement and maybe I could,” Qidoma said. Her tone was less than entertained by Meiling’s prying.

“Fair enough,” Mailing said, pocketing the coins. “And very much worth it, if I do say so.” Qidoma snarled and looked away.

“Get out of here,” Qidoma said. “I don’t need people knowing I do business with petty street thieves.”

“Madam Qidoma, that hurts,” Meiling said. She took the basket out of Lee’s hand and held it in front of her. Lee smiled and loosened out her arms. “Is that really all you think of me? That’s a shame. We should have tea sometime.”

“Get out,” Qidoma said much more firmly.

“Right,” Meiling said, turning from the shop with the barley basket in hand. She walked back into the crowd to continue her errands. Lee, freed up from the weight of the basket, ran alongside of Meiling.

“She wasn’t so pleasant,” Lee said. Meiling shrugged.

“Eh, can’t please everyone,” Meiling said.

“You sure you don’t want me to carry that?” Lee asked. “I don’t mind.”

“No, it’s fine,” Meiling said. “You did great getting it up here. I just thought I’d give you a break.” Lee smiled.

“If… If you’re sure,” Lee said. “I’m just not as strong as you.”

“That’s okay,” Meiling said. “We’re all different in ways. There’s no way I could have made dumplings as good as you did last night.” Lee looks up, smiling a glowing grin.

“Really?” Lee asked. “I… I just kind of picked it up from watching… I can make them again tonight if you want.”

“Sounds good,” Meiling said with a warm smirk.

Meiling led Lee over to another merchant’s booth. It was a table set out with little available to be sold. Out in front of the booth, a small boy kicked a soft clay ball around, collecting dirt and dried leaves from the ground. The section was run by a man standing out in front of the table. He wore tattered clothing and pedaled dried carrots and heads of cabbage. His eyes were dark and long. His hands shook. He greeted everyone with a forced smile and doire sense of urgency. Meiling and Lee walked up next to his booth.

“How’s everything going, Liu Wei?” Meiling asked. The man lowered his head.

“Not good, Meiling,” Wei said. He wiped his cheek of sweat and dirt.

“What’s wrong?” Lee asked. He looked over to the strange new girl.

“Sales are dropping,” Wei said. “Farmland is seeing a vicious surge since a rise in people fleeing to nearby villages to escape Bilang.”

“What’s going on in Bilang?” Meiling asked. Wei shook his head.

“The ghostly white of their faces is haunting,” Wei said. He looked out onto his son playing with his ball without a care. “They come here with nothing, everything having been taken from them. They’re grateful to have each other. Most survivors only manage to escape alone. A great takeover happened just three days ago.” Lee looked up to Meiling.

“I’m sure that we’re all safe here,” Lee said. “Whatever happened to Bilang, the royal family won’t let the same happen here.”

“We can only hope,” Wei said. “I have taken in several of those seeking refuge. I have given many of my crops to others who are still not as fortunate. Their stories are nightmarish. Slavery. Death. A complete loss of hope. I cannot bear to think what would happen if such forces were to come here. Many are already collecting their things and fleeing to the North.”

“It won’t happen here,” Lee said. “I know… or I really feel like it won’t.”

“Your words are kind, but empty, stranger” Wei said. “I must look out for my family. I worry for them every night.”

“Well, hopefully this will help,” Meiling said. She let the bundles of rice stalks slip from her back. She brought them around and laid them across the man’s table. “Here. This should help your sales out.” The man looked back at Meiling, shaking his head before a gloss of tears came to his eyes.

“No, no, I cannot accept this,” the man said. “I just… I cannot pay right now.”

“That’s not what I said,” said Meiling. “Take them. Seriously. You know what?” Meiling reached into a breast pocket and pulled out the six silver she had gotten from Qidoma. She laid them in a neat stack next to the rice stalks. “It’s not much. you know how stingy ol’ Qidoma can be, but it’s something that I hope can help.” The man’s eyes widen.

“No, no, Meiling, I cannot…” Wei said.

“You’re doing great things here for people in need,” Meiling said. “And while raising a son. I can’t imagine how difficult all this must be for you. I’m truly sorry that you’ve fallen on hard times. You’re a good man, Liu Wei. I want you to have this.” The man lowers his head. His hand shakes as he lays his palms over the stack of coins.

“You… They’re wrong about you,” Wei said. “The ones to speak ill of the Xian thief. You are a gift, Meiling.”

“Aww, I have a nickname?” Meiling asked with a smile. She looked back to Lee with an excited grin, who could only smile back with a sense of pride in her new best friend. The man wipes his cheek and sniffles. He bows respectfully.

“Thank you, Meiling,” Wei said. “Thank you, thank you, thank you. I don’t know how to repay you.”

“Just keep helping people,” said Meiling. “You’re already doing so much with that. I couldn’t think of a better person to help out in these hard times.” Wei rose and wiped his nose. He looked to his son and smiled.

“Ki, come,” Wei said. The boy, six or seven by Lee’s estimation, walked over to his father. His cheeks were rosey and caked with dirt. “Yu remember Meiling, right?” Ki looked up to Meiling as Meiling knelt down to his eye level. Ki smiled back before he began giggling.

“You got tickled in the square,” Ki said, while laughing. Meiling nodded and joined in his laughter.

“That’s right, I did,” Meiling said. She wiped his cheeks clean of dirt and dust. “You know why I do that?” Ki shook his head. “To teach you that it’s bad to steal. You don’t want to end up in the stocks one day, do you?” Ki shook his head once more. “Then always be good. Be a good son to your father. Help people when they need it. And never take what isn’t yours. Understand?”

“Yes,” Ki said.

“Good,” Meiling said, ruffling the boy’s hair. “Now help your father unload all this rice.”

“Okay,” Ki agreed. He put down his ball and walked over next to his father. Meiling stood.

“Thank you so much again,” Wei said, a smile having come fresh to his withered face.

“Of course,” Meiling said. “I do have some other places to be, but it was good seeing you.”

“Thank you,” Wei repeated, bowing as Meiling reached for the basket. Lee intercepted, taking the basket of barley in her hands and shivering arms. She grunted as she lifted it once again.

“I can take it,” Meiling said.

“You did… something really nice for… that man,” Lee said. She started off slowly back into the crowd. “I wanted to do something nice for you.”

“Aww, well, thank you,” Meiling said. “That’s really sweet of you. I just don’t want you to strain yourself.”

“I’ll be fine…” Lee said, staggering as she walked with the barley. Meiling stared back at Lee, her eyes squinting with a longing smile.

“Here, we’ll get rid of that one next,” said Meiling. With the leeks and turnips still hanging off of her chest, Meiling led Lee back into the busy stream of Xian marketplace patrons. The people flowed through like rivers. Streets collided like tributaries, obstructions as rocky rapids. Meiling kept a slow pace for Lee behind her. The newly appointed, and proudly named, ‘Xian Thief’, brought Lee up to another merchant stand closer toward the East edge of the square. Before Lee could distinguish the section of their own destination, a little girl runs up to Meiling and tackles her waist for a hug that knocks the girl back a step.

“Mei Mei!” the little girl cried.

“Whoa, easy there, Mian,” a woman behind her called out. Meiling laughed as she bent down to pick the girl up.

“Oh, you’ve gotten big,” Meiling said, holding the girl Lee imagined to be older than Ki, possibly nine. The girl was just as dirty as Ki had been, but without a toy, she seemed to have been put to more work. Her lacy black hair hung down the back of her neck in slight, childish tangles. “You been helping out in the fields like a big girl?”

“Uh huh,” Mian said, hoisted up in Meiling’s arms.

“That’s good,” Meiling said. “You’re growing up big and strong.”

“Like Mei Mei?” Mian asked.

“Just like Mei Mei,” Meiling said, laughing. She put the girl down and turned to Lee. Lee set the basket down. “Mian, this is my friend, Lee.” Lee walked up to the girl and bowed. Mian bowed in return.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Mian said.

“It’s nice to meet you too,” Lee said. Mian turned back to the woman behind the booth. Their own shop had been set up with more trinkets and clay vases than anything else. Lee’s eyes remained on Meiling, smiling a resonating grin as she met with each of the locals with whom she had formulated such a special bond.

“Sorry about her,” the woman said. “Mian just gets really excited when you come around.”

“Well, I guess I’ll have to come into town more often,” Meiling said. “Huh, Mian?”

“And get tickled!” Mian cheered with laughter. Lee and the woman joined her.

“I guess a lot of us get excited when you’re around,” the woman said.

“What can I say?” Meiling asked. “I just have that effect on some people.” Meiling turned back to Lee. “Um, Tamiko, this is Lee. Lee, this is my friend, Tamiko.”

“Hello, it’s nice to meet you,” Lee said, bowing. Tamiko was a shorter, slimmer woman. She wore clay stained clothing, redness caked beneath her fingernails. She wore a bleached scarf in her hair.

“It’s lovely to meet you as well,” Tamiko said. “Any friend of Meiling’s is a friend of ours.” A man walked up and behind the table. He carried with him a flat tray of delicate figures, all bearing characters of fortune and well being. He also wore clay stained clothing. A shallow stubble hung over his lips firmly set in a constant smile.

“Here we are,” the man said. “More for the table.”

“Mian, can you set these up like the others?” Tamiko asked.

“Yes, mother,” Mian said. The small girl began to take the figures off the tray and place them onto the table to be sold. The man wiped his hands clean on a nearby cloth and looked up.

“Meiling,” the man said. “I hope you’re not here to steal anything.”

“From you, Peng, I wouldn’t dream of it,” said Meiling, picking up one of the figures and toying with it in her hand. Peng looked back with a wary smirk. “I do have something for you instead.” Meiling set down the figure in her hand and reached for the basket of barley. She lifted it and brought it closer to the table. “I figured you might be able to use some grain to sell or maybe plant for yourself.” Peng smiled back at Meiling. Mian and Tamiko looked over to the basket.

“Meiling, this is too nice,” Peng said. The man searched his worn pockets for a pinch of coin. “I don’t have much but I could certainly use whatever you can spare. Resources have been dwindling lately due to an influx of people seeking shelter.”

“So I’ve heard,” Meiling said. “The basket’s yours for whatever works for you and your family.”

“Oh, Mei, we can’t do that,” said Peng.

“Sure you can,” Meiling said with a smile. “Whatever you can part with works for me.” Peng gave Meiling a solemn look and sighed. He took Meiling’s hands and clasped a collection of coins inside, cupping them together.

“You’re so much like your mother, you know?” Peng said. “Such a free spirit, yet so kind to everyone. You bear such remarkable qi, as she does. Thank you.” Peng bowed. Meiling bowed in response.

“No, thank you,” Meiling said, withdrawing her hands. “That… that really means a lot to me.”

“Thank you so much, Meiling,” said Tamiko, holding Mian’s tiny hand in hers. “Really, though, this is too kind.”

“As long as you’re okay with the price, it’s just business,” said Meiling, “and it’s always a pleasure doing business with my favorite family.” Peng wrapped his arm around Tamiko, who looked up at him with Mian in her hands.

“Well, you’re welcome to take anything of ours next time you’re feeling adventurous,” said Peng. Meiling laughed.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” said Meiling, turning back to Lee. Lee stood, smiling an adoring grin up at Meiling. An unhindered sun shined down at her. Her hair glistened its deep cherry chestnut shade.

“Come back soon,” Mian called out, waving. Meiling looked back.

“No, no, you come here and give Mei Mei a hug,” Meiling said, kneeling down. Mian laughed as she charged back toward Meiling, almost knocking her over again. Meiling squeezed the child back. “You really are getting strong.”

“Uh huh,” Mian said.

“Well, you keep working hard and helping your family, and you’ll be stronger than even me one day,” Meiling said.

“I will,” the girl cheered, pulling out of the hug. “When I’m grown, I want to be just like you.” Meiling laughed.

“Well, if your parents ever allow it, know that you’re welcome over at my house anytime, and I’ll teach you a thing or two,” Meiling said. Meiling smiled, stood, and kissed the girl on the top of her head. Mian turned back to her parents.

“Can I?” Mian asked enthusiastically.

“Some other day, Mian,” Tamiko said. Meiling patted the girl’s back.

“Just help your parents for today,” Meiling said. “That’s the best thing you can ever do. Be with them. Help them. Love them.”

“I will,” Mian said. The girl ran back over to her mother.

“Thank you again,” Peng said, holding his family close. They smiled, through dirt and clay stains they remained blissful in each other’s company. Meiling stood staring back at the image.

“Of course,” Meiling said. “You can always count on me.” Meiling turned back to Lee, shining in her own smile. “What’s with you?”

“Nothing,” Lee said. Meiling adjusted the pack around her chest to throw it across her back.

“Okay, you precious peony, let’s go,” Meiling said with a smirk. “Just one more stop to make.”

Lee followed alongside Meiling as they embarked back into the rushing streams of Xian patrons and visitors. Lee followed closely. Seeing Meiling in a much different light than in the one of the rogue thief in the public eye showed Lee much more about the girl than she ever imagined existed. Meiling was honest about who she was and cared not to hide in the face of those who disagreed with her lifestyle. She was understanding, a peace seeker. Most seemed to love her, to treat her like an extension to their own family. Meiling had adopted the village that, in return, adopted her.

Caught off guard, a rush of people in the street flooded into Lee, nearly knocking her to the side. Lee fell back into a sea of unrecognizable faces, all scurrying about to get to their next destination. She had become quickly buried in a murmur from which she could hear no distinct voice. Lee looked in all directions, turned around in the midst of Xian’s overpopulation. She called out to Meiling, but knew her voice would not travel far in such a crowd. Lee tried to make her way to one side of the road to see the village square more efficiently. Being smaller than most other villagers, she was tossed and bumped into enough times to disorient her even more.

“Excuse me,” Lee repeated as she pushed her way through. The people saw her only as an obstruction in their own path. She was shoved and tossed, her shoulders being thrown back by hard, careless slams. After a few, Lee found herself toppling backward. She staggered to gain her footing, worried that she would hurt someone in her folly. The world around her began to spin. Her hands shook. Her arms clenched. A rising pain in her chest heaved. The murmur became louder, pounding in her head. As she started to fall, two arms reached out to catch her. Lee was pulled into Meiling’s chest as Meiling held her close.

“Hey, I thought I lost you back there,” Meiling said. Lee looked up at the girl. The world slowly began to return as it was. Stable. Optimal. Lee fought to catch her breath, gazing back into Meiling’s wary eyes. “What happened?”

“I… I don’t know,” Lee said. “I just couldn’t find you all of a sudden.” Meiling chuckled.

“Well, I’m here now,” said Meiling. “Sorry for leaving you behind like that. Are you okay?” Meiling helped Lee stand. Lee took a moment. Her legs felt as if they had given out on the trip, but their feeling returned in soft waves.

“I think so,” said Lee. “Just a little shaken up, I guess. I don’t know what happened. That’s… never happened before.” Meiling looked around.

“Yeah, it’s getting crazy out here,” said Meiling. “I can see what they’ve been talking about with more and more people coming. I wonder what happened to bring them all here.”

“I don’t know,” said Lee, her voice wilted with concern.

“Well, let’s just get this last shipment out and we’ll head back,” said Meiling. “I’ll make some tea and you can rest. Sound good?” Lee smiled and nodded.

“Okay,” said Lee. Meiling took Lee’s hand in hers and held it tight. She led Lee back into the gushing crowd, their hands tightly bound in a needful grasp. Lee smiled. Meiling’s hand felt warm and solid in hers, a firm blanket of reassurance. The people surrounding Lee faded into a blurrier obscurity with Meiling’s hand in her palm. Their fingers sank against each others skin like a gentle hug, one in which Lee found the utmost comfort. Lee hurried along beside Meiling, whisked through the crowds as quickly as Meiling could pull the girl to a comfortable opening.

“It’s just up here,” Meiling said. “My friend Shen buys well from me. We’ll be in and out real quick, I promise.”

“I think I’m fine now,” said Lee, the pain in her chest subsiding as her breath regulated to a comfortable rhythm. Meiling pulled Lee over to the side of the road, where a lone table stood set up with small individual baskets of assorted fruits and vegetables. A young man counted a collection of coins from behind the table as he sat upon a stool. Meiling approached the table and laid the bundled leeks and turnips up on the table in front of him.

“You here to put on a show?” the man asked without looking up. He wore a brimmed straw hat and a cloth over the bottom half of his face.

“You would be so lucky, Shen” Meiling said, crossing her arms. “But no, not today.” Shen looked up to Meiling before glancing over to Lee, standing behind her.

“And who’s this little whelp behind you?” Shen asked. Lee looked down and away as she stood behind Meiling.

“No one you’re going to address like that,” Meiling said firmly. Lee’s eyes rose to Meiling’s squinting smirk. Shen paused before chuckling.

“Fair enough,” Shen said, casually dropping each of the coins piece by piece into his palm with sharp clinks. “What have you brought me?”

“Little of this, little of that,” Meiling said. “You have eyes. Use them.” Shen sighed and sat forward.

“You know, that’s what I like about you,” Shen said as he looked over the bundled crops. “No hassle. No game. You just tell it like it is.”

“Not my style,” Meiling said.

“Even if I do like you better in the stocks,” Shen continued. Meiling chuckled.

“Don’t we all,” Meiling said. She looked behind to Lee. “So what can you do for me?” Shen paused while looking over the bundle. He sat back against the edge of a feeble fence.

“The usual still good with you?” Shen asked. He pinched half of the stack of coins in his hand and slid it across the table toward Meiling. Meiling sat her hand onto the stack.

“As to be expected,” Meiling said, pocketing the stack without counting it. “It’s always a pleasure, Shen.”

“Feel free to take anything on your way,” Shen said. “I’m sure all these people coming in would love a turn with the infamous Xian thief. I know I could use a little excitement.”

“An inviting prospect,” Meiling said. “Maybe later. Until then, you’ll just have to be patient.” Meiling turned back toward Lee. She took Lee’s hand and held her close as they started away. Lee stayed close to Meiling, holding onto her hand with a firm grip.

“Who was that?” Lee asked as the two ventured off back into the square.

“Dong Shen,” said Meiling. “A returning visitor when I’m in the stocks. He’s obnoxious, but he means well.” Lee looked back at the man, scanning over his new supply. “Sorry if he came off weird. He can be pretty cocky at times.”

“It’s okay,” Lee said. “I feel… good with you nearby.” Lee smiled up at Meiling, who smirked back.

“You can count on me,” Meiling said. With Lee’s hand tenderly and firmly in hers, Meiling led Lee back toward the residential district and the woodland pathway home. “Come on. I’ll make you a pot of tea back at the house and we can, I don’t know, find someway to relax.” Meiling shot Lee a quick wink. Lee looked up, smiled wide, and took Meiling’s hand in both of hers.

“I’d like that,” said Lee, unable to waver the grin across her rose, slivered lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Drive By tkl_my_feet

General Fiction

5.8K 11 1
A mouthy, conceited young businesswoman suffers through near-endless tickle torture in the rear seat of her chauffeur's car. M/F - Nylon & Bare Feet...
87.4K 206 5
The newest member of his school's Literature Club, a closeted tickle and foot fetishist, must choose which of the girls in the club to help with a ve...
9.6K 76 8
A businessman is interviewed by a potential Domme and realizes there's more to subbing than he thought