A Million Excuses (GirlxGirl)

By Reassuringly

Victoria Sage has always enjoyed her job as a teacher at an all girl's private school, that is until Martha D... More

Chapter Two | Silhouettes And Cigarrettes
Chapter Three | Detention

Chapter One | New Faces

34 1 0
By Reassuringly

Victoria
Chapter One | New Faces

"I'm sure you're all aware of the fire incident last year, here at Vincent High. To ensure this doesn't happen again, please continue the regular checks that none of the girls are carrying lighters or matches in their dormitories." Gemma, or Mrs David, reinforced the mention of the lighters for about the sixth time that morning.

It had happened once in 5 years here at Vincent High, and we all strongly doubted the fire incident wouldn't happen again. Luckily for me it was just before I moved here for my first year of teaching.

It was the 3rd of September, a few minutes before 8AM. It was a warm, bright morning yet the briefing room lacked energy. It was the first Monday back after the summer holidays and everyone was pretty exhausted - including me.

"Ah yes, also we welcome a new janitor this year. Meet Janice everyone." A hefty woman stood and all eyes in the room travelled to her as she gave a warm smile and a small wave, clearly overwhelmed with the amount of attention on her.

Despite the lack of replies or interest the briefing room gave her, she still displayed a happy smile after sitting back down. Unaware that nobody was mentally in the briefing room, maybe physically, but their minds probably somewhere far from.

I'd been working at this school for a year now. Sometimes I disliked the job, but doesn't everyone dislike their job at one point in their lives? Mostly I enjoyed it; talking to a bunch of teenage girls about biology - hoping one day they'd find it as interesting as you do.

I didn't actually want to be a teacher in the first place, but after being guaranteed a place here due to the founder of this school being a good friend of my father's - I couldn't turn it down.

"And finally, we have a small number of students joining the school today. I hope you wish them a warm welcome and they don't cause any bother - however if any of them do, don't hesitate to let me know." She spoke again.

A few fellow teachers shifted to her words. I remained silent, waiting for her to continue.

"We've got Shannon Lowe, who is in Mr Parker's house." We all looked at Mr Parker who gave a small smile and didn't seem very affected by the news.

You see, nobody liked new students. The fear of those moving and being terrible is what most teachers would shit themselves about in the meeting room. I had to stop myself from chuckling at the thought of a teacher being intimidated by a student. It simply baffled me.

I didn't care.

"Next up we have Gia Meadows, who is with you Mrs Harper."

Mrs Harper was a lovely but shy, insecure woman. Her husbands leaving her several times probably didn't do her self esteem much good, unfortunately. She gave a slight smile, but obviously wasn't pleased with the decision.

"And finally," Gemma's eyes then met mine, "We have," She hesitated for a few moments after her eyes skimmed the paper, "Martha Daniels, who is with you Miss Sage."

Great. Like I said - I didn't care that I had another student on board and certainly wasn't intimated by the fact. If I was honest I couldn't really be bothered with the responsibility of having another one to worry about.

Every teacher at Vincent High has the responsibility of checking up on around 10 students, who stayed in two dorms.

The girls in mine I already knew very well, and I didn't mind them at all. I wouldn't consider them friends of course, but they weren't too bad to talk to.

I realised I hadn't actually responded to Gemma. I simply nodded and smiled. And with that she thanked us all for attending the meeting and wished us a great first day back.

***

The first hour of the first day back was spent in dorms, with me reconnecting with the girls. Oh, and introducing the new one to the others.

I walked into the reception in order to collect the new student. I couldn't see her so questioned the receptionist, Amanda, who agreed she hadn't seen her either.

Gemma surprisingly came up behind me then, asking if we could speak alone. I followed her into her office and she closed the door behind her. "There you are! I need to talk to you. I'm glad you're pleased with Martha Daniels being transferred to your dorm. But, please be mindful of something..."

A loud, continuous beeping sound then came from outside the reception. Amanda waddled in, announcing, "Miss Sage, I believe your new student has arrived."

Gemma looked at me, "Victoria - Martha was expelled from her past two schools. Her parents are extremely wealthy and her older sister Ruth once attended this school herself. Ruth turned out a brilliant student, and they're hoping Martha will too. I'm relying on you to guide Martha in her sister's footsteps."

Wow okay, so put all the pressure on the least experienced teacher in the school. That seemed fair. "Well, I'm sure she can't be that bad." I muttered, giving a tight smile.

The beep was heard again, causing Gemma to peek out of the window slightly. She turned back to me, "They're here. Let's go."

In a matter of seconds Gemma had forced me out the office and there we stood, face to face with a clearly high established family of 3. My eyes met Martha, who was a blonde and had obviously already made adjustments to the school uniform policy.

The grey compulsory skirt was rolled up much shorter than it's length, exposing the girl's toned thighs. I swallowed and my eyes travelled up her body. The top button of the white shirt she wore was undone, and her untied tie hanged loosely around her neck. I also noticed the small necklace she was wearing too.

After a while my eyes flickered up to her face and she raised an eyebrow at me. Oh no, she must've thought I was checking her out. She looked me up and down, whilst fiddling with her golden curly locks. She was clearly chewing gum too, which, was also against school policy. Just by a simple glance at this girl, you could tell she was trouble.

Gemma greeted her, extending her hand out. The blonde hesitated at first but slowly shook it. Her eyes then met mine again. She had the lightest blue eyes. As Gemma had done so before, I extended my hand out. This time without hesitation, she shook my hand softly, her full lips twitching up slightly.

"Nice to meet you, Miss Sage." She spoke clearly and confidently - unlike most students I talked to daily.

"The pleasure is all mine Martha." I chose my words carefully, "I welcome you to Vincent High."

She smirked, tilting her head to the side. "Well, lets just say I already feel very welcomed."

I stood there for a second unable to process what had just happened. Had she just flirted with me? Within a few seconds of meeting her? Did she realise that I was her teacher?

I opened my mouth to reply, no words coming out. I soon realised her hand had left mine. She was quickly fumbled by her mother, who appeared to want a few last words before her departure, and was forced to leave my side.

Gemma was still standing next to me but seemed unaware of what just happened. Instead she seemed to be slightly intimidated by the wealthiness of Martha's family.

I watched as she waved goodbye to her mum and dad, but to my surprise she did not hug either of them. My mind briefly wondered to what her relationship with her parents was like. Finally, she grabbed her suitcase and then turned her attention to me and Gemma.

Actually, it appeared she turned her attention only to me. "So, what now?" She said with a playful, yet intrigued tone.

Before I could reply, Gemma, who was still by my side decided to answer. "Miss Sage here will escort you to your dormitory, run over the rules and values here at Vincent High and will help settle you in. Classes start in an hour."

Martha's eyes shifted from Gemma's to mine. It was still noticeable she was chewing gum, but Gemma didn't say anything. For saying she was the headteacher, she sure didn't act like it.

"We better get going." I gave an uneasy smile, trying my hardest not to sigh.

Martha's lips twitched, "Lead the way, Miss Sage."

"Goodbye Martha, I hope you enjoy your stay here at Vincent High and I hope that Miss Sage and the girls make you feel welcomed. Any problems, don't be afraid to see me."

Martha simply looked at her. "Okay, thank you."

Gemma gave me a reassuring smile before she made her way into her office, leaving me alone with Martha, who I wanted to nickname trouble. First impressions had always meant a lot to me, and my first impression of Martha was that trouble was all she seemed to be.

I looked down to her suitcase, offering to carry it upstairs for her but she refused. "Sweet of you to offer though."

I gulped and made my way upstairs, Martha following me with her suitcase. The long, spirally stairs soon ended and at the top you could see my office.

"Let's go in my office first and run over a couple of things."

She fiddled with her hair, "Sure."

We walked into my office and I offered her a seat, in which she sat in. I sat in my chair too. "Okay, Martha. I'm sure you've read over the school policy in the welcome pack you received last month."

She shrugged and titled her head, "No...why, should I have done?"

I sighed, "Yes...but that's fine if you haven't. We will go over them now." I tried to remain calm, but this girl was making my job so frustrating.

I continued, "Firstly, you should take care of your dorm room and make sure it isn't messy. I will come and inspect every week, however I'm not cleaning it up for you. You're almost an adult therefore you're more than capable of keeping your room tidy."

For some odd reason, Martha smirked. "I am an adult actually."

I just stared at her , "Oh."

"Yeah I'm 19 so..." She replied softly, her eyes trying to analyse my facial expression.

What was she still doing in school if she was 19? Gemma had told me she was kicked out, perhaps she was held back a year too?

I snapped out of my thoughts then continued, "Breakfast starts at 7:30, you're expected to be dressed and ready for then. Breakfast finishes at 8:30 and classes start at 9."

She interrupted, "I think I did read that," She said with a smirk, "Maybe you should just go over what I am allowed and not allowed to do.."

Was I simply wasting my time? I stared at the girl. "Well you ask me what you're allowed to do and I'll say if you are allowed to do that or not."

"Very well," She smirked, "Am I allowed to consume alcohol on school site? And if not, what are the consequences?"

Of course she knew she wasn't allowed, she just said that to get on my nerves. Why was she so annoying? "I think you know the answer to that. If I find you with alcohol, or worse, that you're drunk then you can expect suspension."

She nodded, "Okay," blowing a bubble with her gum.

"I should also add that chewing gum is against school policy. You can get rid of it now and I'll pretend I didn't see it, however if I see you chewing gum again then you will be punished."

She raised an eyebrow, "Is that a threat?"

My eyes didn't leave hers, "Yes."

She smirked, "Alright," And after a few seconds of hesitation she took the gum out of her mouth and placed it in the bin.

I sighed, "Anymore questions you'd like to ask?"

"Yeah," Her voice turned a little serious, "Will you go through my stuff?"

I wondered why she was asking, "Not unless there is a reason to go through your personal belongings. Why, do I need to go through your things?"

She shrugged, "No. My old school did it, that's all."

"Okay," I breathed out, not sure if I believed her or not. After all, she was troublesome so I wouldn't be surprised if she did have contraband in her belongings.

"One last question.." Her playful tone was back again, "Will I have you as my teacher?"

I stared at her, unsure of the answer myself. "Possibly. I haven't checked my timetable."

She remained quiet for a few seconds whilst looking at me, "Okay, that is all."

I stood, and soon she did too. "Right, I'll take you to your dorm. If you have an more concerns or questions, come and speak to me."

She smiled, "I'm sure I will, thanks."

The walk to her dormitory was short. I had stayed and introduced her to the other girls, and thankfully they were all really friendly to her. However, I couldn't say the same about Martha. She seemed to have an arrogant attitude, as if she thought she was better than anyone else. Perhaps it was the fact she was 2 years older than most of them, which was playing on my mind for some reason.

Around 5 minutes later I was sitting in my office again, this time staring at my timetable. I took a sigh of relief when I noticed that Martha was not in any of my classes, meaning I didn't have to teach her.

Spending a mere 10 minutes with the girl seemed far too exhausting. I don't think I'd ever met someone as puzzling and mysterious. She was intriguing and somewhat intimidating at the same time.

I looked at my timetable once again, trying to shift my focus to my first class, but I couldn't help but wonder what this school year was going to be like with Martha around, and why she was so different.

***

So! New book, I've been planning this book for years, and now I finally have time to hopefully upload more chapters in the coming months :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

407K 46.1K 28
"π’šπ’π’– 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 π’ƒπ’“π’†π’‚π’Œ π’Žπ’š 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 π’Šπ’ π’•π’˜π’ 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’˜π’‰π’†π’ π’Šπ’• 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒔, π’Šπ’• 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 π’šπ’π’–" ...
240K 27.2K 70
#Book-2 of Hidden Marriage Series. πŸ”₯❀️ This book is the continuation/sequel of the first book "Hidden Marriage - Amazing Husband." If you guys have...
2.5M 148K 48
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
1.3M 119K 43
✫ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐀 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐈𝐧 π‘πšπ­π‘π¨π«πž π†πžπ§'𝐬 π‹π¨π―πž π’πšπ πš π’πžπ«π’πžπ¬ ⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎ She is shy He is outspoken She is clumsy He is graceful...