The Moon Wolf

CharlotteCanyon tarafından

There is a great mystery surrounding a lone she-wolf who wanders the northern mountain on the outskirts of Gr... Daha Fazla

Author's Note
Chapter 1 (1st Draft)
Chapter 2 (1st Draft)
Chapter 3 (1st Draft)
Chapter 4 (1st Draft)
Chapter 5 (1st Draft)
Chapter 7 (1st Draft)
Chapter 8 (1st Draft)
Chapter 9 (1st Draft)
Chapter 10 (1st Draft)
Chapter 11 (1st Draft)
Chapter 12 (1st Draft)
Chapter 13 (1st Draft)
Chapter 14 (1st Draft)
Chapter 15 (1st Draft)
Chapter 16 (1st Draft)
Chapter 17 (1st Draft)
Chapter 18 (1st Draft)
Chapter 19 (1st Draft)
Chapter 20 (1st Draft)
Chapter 21 (1st Draft)
Chapter 22 (1st Draft)
Chapter 23 (1st Draft)
Chapter 24 (1st Draft)
Chapter 25 (1st Draft)
Chapter 26 (1st Draft)
Chapter 27 (1st Draft)
Chapter 28 (1st Draft)
Chapter 29 (1st Draft)
Chapter 30 (1st Draft)
Chapter 31 (1st Draft)
Chapter 32 (1st Draft)
Chapter 33 (First Draft)
Chapter 34 (First Draft)
Chapter 35 (First Draft)
Chapter 36 (First Draft)
Chapter 37 (First Draft)
Chapter 38 (First Draft)
Chapter 39 (First Draft)
Chapter 40 (First Draft)
Chapter 41 (First Draft)
Chapter 42 (First Draft)

Chapter 6 (1st Draft)

3K 80 15
CharlotteCanyon tarafından

Penn managed to sleep for a couple of hours before some unfamiliar wolf scents woke her up. her eyes flew open and she put her nose to the wind. Several wolves were coming there way. She felt anxious and agitated at the same time.

Penn knew all to well that the one thing rogues had in common was that they smelt wild to pack wolves. That scent was how a pack wolf knew whether she'd come across another pack wolf, on or off her territory, or something dangerous. The wild smell alerted any pack wolf that they were dealing with a troublemaker, maybe a deserter, or a renegade wolf. In other words, a rogue.

Penn knew she was in a tight situation. She could smell at least 4 distinct wolves, two male and two female, coming their way and if they caught wind of her wild scent that could spell certain disaster. Not just for her but for the pups as well. 

That wild smell put most adult wolves on edge - male or female - and in some cases could even set them right off. Especially, if they had bad history with rogues. After all, pack wolves were trained to hate, kill and destroy the wild thing - the rogue.

Since Penn was the most dominant wolf in the group all of pups scents would be a strange mixture of her scent and their own. So, a misinformed pack-wolf, who leapt first and asked questions later, might think that the pups were rogue as well, which would place all the children in harm's way.

She couldn't predict how these adult wolves would react to her and she couldn't foresee if the children would be safe or not if things went sour. The uncertainty was nerve-racking for Penn. Of course, she was quite prepared to rip all the encroaching wolves throats out before they ever laid a single claw on any of her charges.

However, even she knew it would be better if things never got to that stage. So, Penn transformed into her human form, put on some clothes and spent as much time in the smoke of the fire as she could while the children quietly waited around. The smoke would help mask her strong wild scent from the approaching wolves and this would buy everyone time - especially the pups - to make a good first impression.

This behaviour of Penn's was so unusual though that she could see it made the children nervous. They knew she preferred wolf-form when they were not moving. They also knew she generally stayed a distance away from the fire too. It would have been rare for them to see her in her skin and soaking up the heat of the fire along with them.

She wasn't surprised when they gave each other looks and began to whisper quietly among themselves. She watched, feeling amused, as they pounced on Cassidy to find out what was different today.

The teen got up a bit hesitantly, brushed her pants off and slowly found her way to Penn's side. The girl choked a bit on the smoke because Penn was practically standing in it. But, after a moment, she found her voice and asked, "Is something wrong Penn?"

Penn having had enough of the smoke by now, stepped away from it and over to Cassidy. In a loud voice, that all the children could hear, Penn said, "We are about to have company."

A collective gasp was heard and all the children came at once to stand by Penn and Cassidy. They were excited but also afraid. Strange adult wolves could be very dangerous. A wolf, especially a pup, could not be sure of a warm welcome from adult wolves that belonged to another pack. The danger increased 100 fold when a pup was on another pack's territory and uninvited no less.

Penn was glad the pups showed good survival instincts. They let their wariness override their excitement and that was a good thing. It's the sort of instinctual response that was likely to keep them alive in an unknown situation. However, she did not want them to be fearful. They had her looking out for them after all.

So, she put up her hands, to grab their attention and said, "They'll be on us in a few minutes time. Stick close to me. I wont let anything happen to you," she assured them with a comforting look on her face.

It couldn't quite be called a smile but it was certainly the softest expression she'd used yet on them. It seemed to do the trick. She could see their postures relax a little and feel their fear subside as their anticipation increased. This was going to be the day they met their new pack, after all. The pups couldn't help but be a little excited. Penn couldn't blame them. They'd been through hell already and were nearly in a safe place. Well, they would be, if everything went alright with this first introduction at any rate.

Penn and the pups watched with sharp eyes as two large male wolves and a single female wolf appeared in the woods, just beyond their camp. Instead of cowering in fear, Penn was pleased to see that the children remained calm and submissive behind her. She smiled to herself when she caught the bravest and most curious among them sneaking a peek, now and again, at the approaching wolves. Clearly, their curiosity was greater than their fear so long as she was standing like a shield in front of them she mused.

Her makeshift pack watched intently as the three adult wolves sniffed the air and came forward cautiously. Penn was relieved that they didn't appear aggressive. She was sure it was because they couldn't pick up her scent just yet. When they got closer they would though and that could change things.

The three came within 20 feet of Penn and they pups, stopped, sniffed the air one last time and then transformed into their human forms. They stood in front of Penn and the pups in their naked glory. Penn wasn't fazed by the display of skin. Skin was as natural as fur to her. She was glad however, that the children did not make a fuss. Perhaps they were getting a little accustomed to seeing grown wolves in their naked flesh. 

Penn noted that the largest of the three was heading directly for them, but he looked more curious about her group then concerned, which was a good sign. Penn knew she couldn't breath easy just yet, but there were positive signs. The lack of aggression or desire to show dominance was really promising.

The wolf in charge suddenly barked, "I know you don't I, child?" and he pointed directly at Cassidy, whose eyes were on the ground in a show of respect and submission.

Penn saw his eyes slide curiously over her but it seemed he was content to ignore her presence for the moment. That could mean only one thing - he knew she was a rogue. He would never address a child over an adult in a setting like this unless the adult was beneath him - unless the adult wolf was a rogue.  Penn wasn't insulted. In fact, she was a bit relieved. The man appeared sensible rather than incensed, which boded well for the children.

She saw Cassidy's head jerk up as she looked at the naked wolf in front of them. Penn could see the recognition in Cassidy's eyes. This was also a good sign. It would be helpful if she and the wolf had some common ground. That would make this introduction go a lot smoother as well.

"Yes, Anex, Master at Arms," Cassidy suddenly replied with great relief, "I am Alpha Preston's daughter." She looked for her brother and when she caught his eye he came forward. "This is my brother Jackson. Do you remember him?"

They both look eagerly at the familiar face. The older man, a rough looking man that Penn guessed was in his early fifties, nodded at them both. Another good sign Penn thought to herself.

"We've come to seek out my mother's brother, your first beta, Lucas, and to ask for sanctuary with the Orthos pack. You may have heard by now that the Typhon Pack declared war on our pack and killed everyone." Cassidy's voice wavered a little here and Penn very discreetly brushed her should against the girl to give her a little support. Cassidy smiled gratefully at up at Penn before looking back at the Master at Arms.

He nodded in response, looked briefly at Penn, and then glanced up the mountain. "Did you come through the pass?" he asked even though the answer was obvious.

Penn wanted to roll her eyes at him and give him a snarky retort but she refrained. She wasn't sure why the man was dragging things out. Couldn't he see how anxious the children were? Penn was sure there would be time enough for questions later. Still, she kept her peace and just watched him and the other two with him. She could smell a fourth wolf - a she-wolf somewhere but that one had yet to make an appearance.

Penn wasn't surprised when Cassidy shot her an anxious look. The man was slowly putting the girl and the children on edge. Penn stopped herself from laying a comforting hand on Cassidy's shoulder though. She didn't want to taint the children by association any more than she had too. And, the Master at Arms was watching her interactions with the children very intently right at that moment, which wasn't hard to see. So, Penn opted for adopting her familiar disinterested and unfazed demeanour, which Cassidy was already well use to. It wouldn't likely fool her but it may fool this man for the time being.

Penn's train of thought was interrupted when she heard Cassidy reply, "Yes, we came through Mourning Cross." She then took a hold of Penn's arm, quite unexpectedly and continued saying, "Penn here, who was a good friend to our Mother, brought us through the pass against great odds." There was something in Cassidy's voice that caught Penn's attention. She looked down at the girl who was fiercely staring down the bigger wolf. Penn might have laughed if she thought that wouldn't stir the pot. It seemed her little friend was very protective and naturally defensive of her companions, even a miserable, unfriendly rogue. Penn felt a little happy about it even if the girl was pushing it with the other wolf.

The Master at Arms directed his full attention to Penn now.  But, Penn did not respond to his cold, hard look in any way. She remained indifferent to his presence and kept the same placid face she knew would likely stir him up a bit. Pack wolves didn't like to be disregarded by rogues. So, Penn was aware she was walking a fine line here.

Penn could feel tension growing in the air. Not only was the Master at Arms staring her down now, but so too were the other two wolves. They had also closed the distance between themselves and Penn, which she was very aware of. Still, she kept a cool head and pretended to be entirely unfazed by their subtle and not so subtle dominant behaviour.

While they were busy posturing she was busy analyzing them, looking for weaknesses and trying to figure out who was likely to strike first. She was not going to go down without a fight and they were the ones who were going to come out more poorly for it. She was a great deal more wild than they could know or comprehend.

She licked her teeth. A very large part of her would like nothing better than to tare into them and give them a taste of their own medicine. But then Cassidy squeezed her arm and she remembered she had a job to do. She was the children's guardian and she promised to get them safely to their knew home. And, just like that she let out a little puff of air, letting go of her desire to rip these wolves into shreds, and gave Cassidy a reassuring nod.

Penn could see the open relief in Cassidy's face. She continued to hold tight to Penn's arm as she addressed the Orthos wolves. "Penn is a rogue, which I'm sure you are aware of. However, she was also my mother's friend and my Mother entrusted us into her care. Instead of abandoning us to our own fates she took us on and brought us through the pass. She didn't know us and we didn't know her but she risked a great deal to bring us here safely to see my uncle."

Cassidy paused a minute and let out a nervous breath. Then Penn watched as she pinned the Master in Arms with a determined look and said in her most diplomatic voice, "I'm sure my Uncle Lucas, your first beta, is waiting to see Penn. He's likely anxious to talk to her since she was the last adult to see his sister alive."

Penn felt like grinning, but she kept her smiles to herself. Even if the girl was trembling with nerves she put on a fine face, used her wits and quickly diffused a possibly heated situation with just a few well placed words. How could the Master at Arms refuse to let Penn see the girl's uncle? He couldn't. The beta outranked him and he was not in a position to refuse her entry unless she posed a threat to his patrol or the pack. Penn looked down at Cassidy from the corner of her eye and thought the girl might be a chip off her Mother's shoulder after all. She definitely had the makings of a Luna, if not an Alpha.

The pups, as if sensing they needed to make a solid stand and assert their desire not to be parted with Penn even though no one had actually come right out and said she wasn't welcome to go any further, all crowded around Penn and tried to cling to her waist and arms where they could. Penn might have scolded the children for stepping out of line but she was too surprised by their show of solidarity - dare she even say affection - to reprimand them. Instead, she squeezed the hands of the youngest and gave the others a faint smile of appreciation. 

In response, the Master of Arms gave a great laugh and said, "You are a clever girl, Cassidy. Just like your mother." He seemed both amused and approving of her diplomacy.

Penn was glad. She didn't want to fight him if she didn't have to. It would make things so much easier for the children that way.

She felt Cassidy squeeze her arm as the the children relaxed and let her go. Penn looked down at the teen and raised one eyebrow as if to say 'what were you worried for?'  Cassidy let out a little nervous laugh before reigning her nerves in. In response, Penn loosened up a bit and gave her hand a squeeze. The teen visibly relaxed. Penn could sense her becoming more and more calm with each passing breath.

They survived this first encounter and that was a relief for her and the children.

Penn and the pups watched as the Master at Arms turned back to his two companions and they talked quietly for a little while. Penn took this opportunity to tell the children that they were never to come to her aid in any way if one of these wolves wanted to pick a fight with her. She explained that she was well able to handle them and reminded them all about the bear. She looked especially long and hard at Cassidy and Jackson, who might be the most likely to try and jump to her aid.

"Things will get worse for me from here on in," she explained quietly to Cassidy and Jackson. "They may not even let me go to the pack house to see your uncle. Do not be alarmed, do not make any rash decisions, and do not interfere if one of them goes for me. Remember, I knew this would happen when I came. I will deal with it. Do you understand?" Penned stared long and hard at Cassidy and Jackson to make sure they understood the seriousness of the situation.

She waited until both teens nodded and turned their eyes to the ground showing their compliance. "Good," she said afterwards and then added, loud enough for all the children to hear, "You have all done your parent's very proud pups. But, the journey is not over. So, continue to do as you are told and be courageous. I'll see you all to the end of this. Even I can behave if I have too."

Penn gave the kids a sheepish grin when she said that, hoping to lighten their moods even more. The situation had been pretty tense only a few minutes ago and the children had forgotten that this was a good day. This was the day they'd receive protection from their new pack and could stop running.

Needless to say, the pups didn't know she could grin. They'd been with her for 5-plus weeks and had rarely had a kind word or look from her in all that time. So, the look not only transformed her face in their eyes but her grin struck a chord with them and they suddenly broke with tradition, clambered closer to her and either hugged or touched her affectionately.

Penn saw Cassidy wipe away a few tears hoping no one noticed before she laughed a little and threw her arms around Penn to give her a warm hug. Penn had no idea that one sheepish grin could have such a profound impact on the children. Perhaps she was wrong about them. Maybe they were a little fond of her after all.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

18.8K 726 34
**Not edited.** A mere human, being adopted by wolves is but one of many unique surprises surrounding Kay. When suddenly a fierce Alpha appears, foll...
33.5K 743 27
He grabbed me, and I felt tingles go up my arms. I started to thrash around trying to get out of his grip. As much as my wolf wanted him, I didn't an...
24.9K 829 33
First Neal must find his mate whom he's dreamt about several times now, then he must help her learn about her family and then fight to keep her safe...
33.5K 2.2K 46
A spin-off from the Rootbridge series. Callie's wolf is out of control and therapy isn't helping her understand the fragments of memories she has abo...