The Spaniard's Bride

By JessSanders1213

Third Book in the Bride Series Roseanne never believed in fairy tales. They just didn't seem quite as realist... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five

Seventeen

7.5K 313 4
By JessSanders1213

For the first time in many months, Roseanne was able to make her way downstairs and take dinner with her husband and her guest. There was to be a ball in honor of Esteban's birth and she, of course, was expected to make an appearance.

She also hoped to be allowed to hold her son for the first time, but that seemed like a far stretch.

"Are you ready for your first real moment as a Queen, malady?" A servant asked, tightening the strings on her dress.

"Yes. I am ready to see how my son is doing." Roseanne said with a small smile.

The servant frowned, "You have not seen your son?"

"I have not. Alvaro was concerned of my health." She replied, watching as the servant shook her head.

"That's funny. Queen Mia was allowed to hold her child the moment he was born. Prince Stefan was a true joy to the kingdom, just as Esteban will be."

Roseanne smoothed her dress in the mirror and turned, "The King was married before?"

The servant girl nodded vigorously, "Oh, yes. Queen Mia had the King wrapped around her finger. She was absolutely charming and she was extremely peaceful. The young prince was just another ounce of joy in our kingdom until the Queen passed."

"Oh, what happened?" Roseanne asked.

The girl pursed her lips, "A hunting accident."

The servant rash reply gave Roseanne enough leeway to have suspicion. She knew Alvaro could be a dangerous man, especially if you were on the wrong side of his emotions— but murder? Was he really capable of murder?

A knock at the door brought Roseanne's mind out of the gutter. The nursemaid, who had whisked her son out of her sight so quickly, brought in a pure white blanket, "The King has given me permission to let you hold the Prince."

Roseanne rushed forward to hold her son, "Esteban, my darling. Mama finally gets to hold you, my sweet prince." She cooed as she brushed his dark curls.

The child's small fingers wrapped around hers as he pulled them towards his mouth. Roseanne looked up at he nursemaid, "When was he last fed? Has he been properly looked after?"

The nursemaid gave her a curt nod, "Everything is well with the child, your majesty. The King visits at least twice a day to ensure his health."

Roseanne scoffed, "Of course he does. He doesn't want mommy to see her baby, does she Este?"

The child grunted his response and wiggles closer to her bosom. Roseanne carefully made her way to sit on the bed so that she could properly hold the child.

She was not accustomed to holding children as she was the youngest of her family. Mary had rarely let her hold Ross, Roseanne's nephew, but a few times. It was much different, however, holding her own child. The immense love she felt for the child was nearly unbearable. She never wanted Esteban to leave her arms again.

"It's alright, my darling. Mommy's here now and she's not going to leave you."

~~~~

They had baptized Esteban under the Holy Roman Catholic Church, as insisted by the King.

Afterwards, after Esteban had fallen asleep in her arms and then whisked away to his cradle,
Roseanne kept herself busy by greeting the guest.

Since her first arrival in Spain, her Spanish tongue had increased greatly. Many of the conversations she had were suitable to the noble's standards.

Jason seemed to have kept his distance, however, becoming one with the shadows among the wall.

They hadn't spoken since the birth of her son. She had not spoken really with anyone.

Roseanne had had letters sent out to both Edward and the English court in hopes she would have visitors but it seemed her feeble attempt was a failure.

Roseanne had since left the ballroom and wandered into the hallway, hoping to locate where her son was now sleeping.

"Rose."

Roseanne's head snapped in the direction of the voice. Jason came up to her, taking her hands in his, "Rose, come here."

He ushered her into a small alcove behind the stairs and cupped her cheek with his hand, "I thought of what you said awhile back."

Roseanne's eyebrows arched in surprise, "You did?"

Jason smiled softly at her, "You said you loved me, do you take it back?"

Roseanne's eyes filled with tears, "No, no I don't." Her hands went up to wrap around his shoulders, "I really do love you. I don't think I could live without you."

Jason's lips captured hers, bringing her flag against him. A insatiable hunger overtook Roseanne. She felt her worries of the world float away.

All that mattered was the man against her. Her hands ran along the planes of his chest, feeling for the steady beating of his heart, "Come with me."

Jason shuddered underneath Roseanne's hands, "I cannot."

Roseanne's lips erupted with a smile against his lips, "You cannot? Since when did you become a coward, Jason?"

Jason glared down at her, "I have a hard time playing with fire."

She stifled her laugh, "Oh, please! You were the one who kissed me in plain sight."

Jason's eyes softened, "You are right about that. What about dinner?"

Roseanne's eyes flashed with an unrecognizable emotion. She leaned in, close to his ear and whispered, "The longer we wait for dinner, the hungrier you will be."

Jason choked on the air, "Roseanne!"

She smiled at him, starting to make her way out the door, "You know where to meet me in ten minutes?"

Jason nodded at her with wide eyes.

She left him staring at her as she walked back into the ballroom, quickly locating her husband. She gently placed a hand on his arm and waited for a portion of his attention, "Alvaro, I am not feeling well. Do you mind if I retire early?"

She watched his eyes deviate from hers for a brief second, and then he nodded, "I will see you in the morning, my rose."

Roseanne turned on her heel and disappeared into the crowd.

She knew Alvaro wouldn't dare to come after her. He was to drunk to process a mouse running across the floor, let alone her activities behind closed doors.

Her heart was racing rapidly. For the first time since she arrived in Spain, she was doing something for herself. She was going to enjoy the few moments she would have with her lover.

She had never had a man love her like Jason did. She had seen plenty of men in her short lifetime but never one that would treat her like Jason did.

Roseanne found herself in her room, staring back at the crystal blue eyes. Their movements mirrored each other's as he moved towards her, causing her to shriek.

He grabbed her, twirled around and threw her on the bed, "Watch out, my little firecracker. I am known for causing extreme reactions."

Roseanne giggled and wrapped her legs around his waist, "Then so be it."

Later, Roseanne had propped herself against the backboard of her bed, the sheets wrapped around her chest and a permanent smile glued to her lips, "Must you go?"

"Angel, you know I cannot stay the night here. What would the servants say? And what if your husband finds us?" Jason said, as he pulled on his trousers.

He walked over to her and captured her lips with his. Her hands wrapped around his neck and tried to pull him down, but he braces himself, "Oh, no you don't."

"Jason, you simply cannot leave!" She begged, kissing his fingers.

He stopped her by cupping her face, "Now angel, I'll be around. I just can't stay here with you."

Roseanne jutted her lip out in a mock pout. Jason glanced over at her with a mischievous smile, "Now, is this how a Queen should behave?"

She crossed her arms under her chest in response. He walked back over to her and bent down, "Be careful, or you lip may be..." he nipped at the lip she had jutted out.

Roseanne shoved his arm and tried not to laugh, "Go on, soldier boy. Leave if you must!"

Jason walked over to the mock door in the wall, never leaving her gaze, "Be good, my angel."

The door closed behind him and left Roseanne to the silence.

~~~~

Alvaro stormed into his wife's room and shut the door behind him. Roseanne looked up at him from her spot on the bed, "How may I help you, my lord." Her voice came off icy, as he knew he deserved.

"I would like to make a proposal, my beautiful rose." He said, running his hand over her red curls.

Roseanne's posture softened slightly under his touch, "What?"

"I propose that I will allow you to have time with Esteban if... you remain loyal to me. I fear the look the English knight gives you at my own table and it would be reassuring to know my rose was only mine, yes?" He whispered, his lips brushing the side of her face.

Roseanne tilted her head towards him, "My lord—"

He gripped her by the waist and pulled her under him, "Say it, Roseanne. Say you're mine."

His mouth found her lips and crashed onto them— like a lion finally catching his prey.

Her hands seemed to shake as they ran along the plane of his back. He felt her lips part to allow room for his.

"I am yours. I am all yours, Alvaro."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

947 54 22
*Mature content warning.* A mythical kingdom is ruled by a king, queen, and their son, the prince. The prince is engaged to a rich noble woman, the d...
18.3K 977 50
Their love story seemed to be perfect in everyone's eyes, right? He saved her in every way a person can be saved, after all. Then, would it remain...
3.3K 381 55
BOOK 3 of The Ostler's Boy Series ----- Love. Duty. Valor. Court & Class. A pseudo-medieval romance through the eyes of a reckless princess. ...
322 37 13
A 17th Century Romance - An arranged marriage between a Princess and a cruel King. The Princess soon learns how atrocious the King really is. How he...