Iron & Wine

By CandaceOsmond

Iron & Wine is a Paranormal Romance set in a world full of hidden magical places and secret societies cloaked... More

Iron & Wine-Chapter One: Dust Fairies
Iron & Wine-Chapter Two: Hurricane Tess
Iron & Wine-Chapter Three: Home Away From Home
Iron & Wine-Chapter Four: Friends & Foes
Iron & Wine-Chapter Five: Love Hate
Iron & Wine-Chapter Six: Competition
Iron & Wine-Chapter Seven: A Work of Art
Iron & Wine-Chapter Eight: Motion Overruled
Iron & Wine-Chapter Nine: All Hell
Chapter Eleven - Civil
Chapter Twelve - Fairy Tales
Chapter Thirteen - Jack
Chapter Fourteen - It's a Date
Chapter Fifteen - Party Hard
Chapter Sixteen - Revelations
Chapter Seventeen - Acceptance
Chapter Eighteen - Unveiling
Chapter Nineteen - All That Glitters
Chapter Twenty - Cryptic
Chapter Twenty One - Iron Worlder
Chapter Twenty Two - Answers
Chapter Twenty Three - Matter of Opinion
Chapter Twenty Four - Reassurance
Chapter Twenty Five - Bonds
Chapter Twenty Six - Halloween
Chapter Twenty Seven - Consequences
Chapter Twenty Eight - Max on a Milk Carton
Chapter Twenty Nine - Suicide Mission
Chapter Thirty - Crumble
Chapter Thirty One - Who Are You?
Chapter Thirty Two - Home
Chapter Thirty Three - Hope
Chapter Thirty Four - Open Arms
Chapter Thirty Five - Forever

Iron & Wine-Chapter Ten: A Night for Introductions

21.6K 559 107
By CandaceOsmond

Chapter Ten-A Night for Introductions

I entered the old Irish pub and scanned the place for Julie. I spotted her in the back with Will and a few other people. They had nabbed a pretty good table. Close to the washrooms but close to the bar as well.

She saw me and waved me over. I headed towards them but then stopped after a few steps. A sudden shiver washed over my body, leaving a weird feeling like someone was watching me and, strangely, it was a familiar feeling. I glanced around to see if anyone was looking, but found no one, a few older men on slot machines and a couple of young people over by the juke box. I brushed it off and blamed my skittishness on my near death experience from earlier.

As I neared Julie I could tell from her face that Will had told her all about the fight between Max and me.

"Tell me everything! I can't believe you got in a fight with her," Julie exclaimed. "Are you okay though? Did you get all the glass out?" She was too over excited about this. Everyone was anxiously looking at us, waiting for me to dish the whole story. It was making me really uncomfortable.

"Hey, I think she's had enough excitement for one day," Will interrupted when he noticed my face. "How about we talk about Halloween? What’s the plan? It's only a couple of weeks away." I shot him a thankful look and he winked and smiled back.

Julie’s face saddened when she realized what just happened. "Oh, geez Avery, I'm sorry. I’m such an idiot sometimes.” She gave me a hug; it felt so good despite the small wounds that covered my back and arms. My day was filled with so much hate; it was comforting to be embraced by my best friend. "I was thinking about having a costume party at the apartment, actually," she mentioned, back on the topic of Halloween. "But only if Avery wants to."

"I like the sounds of that," Will chimed in. "I can help with the party if you need a hand." They both looked at me for approval, almost as if it were rehearsed.

"Uh, yeah sure, a party sounds fun. Is it okay if I invite Celadine?" I asked, suddenly thinking of my workaholic boss. She deserved to get out and party a little bit.

"Yeah, that would be cool," Julie replied. "Would she come to a costume party?"

"I'll make sure she does. Knowing her, she'll probably stay at home and work. I don't think she keeps that many close friends.” I thought of the great lengths she took to figure out what my favorite things were when she could have just asked. And I had never known her to spend time with anyone else outside of the gallery.

So we all agreed on the party and began planning decorations, food and the invite list while shooting a few games of pool. After an hour or so, Julie stood with her pool stick in hand, waiting for her go, and turned to me. "Hey, do you know that guy sitting at the bar?" She motioned with her head.

I looked in the direction that she was indicating. And my stomach clenched when my eyes landed on the jerk from the bus. He was turned around facing us with his back to the bar and his elbows behind him leaning on the counter. He was giving me a stupid look like he was about to laugh at me.

"No. I mean, I've seen him before but I don't know him. He's that guy from the bus that I told you about last week," I said and grabbed the chalk square.

"Well, you never said how gorgeous he was," she stated, practically licking her lips as she looked at him.

"Sorry, I never noticed what he looked like. I was too busy trying not to hurl on the bus," I said sarcastically. That was a bit of a lie, I do remember him being cute. But not this cute, he was absolutely stunning now that I really looked. He had creamy, flawless skin and intensely dark blue eyes, almost like cerulean. His hair was an intentional mess of black silk and he wore what looked like designer clothing. Black fitted pants paired with a gray v-neck shirt and a black dressy jacket, but when I glanced down at his feet I saw that he sported a pair of black and white converses. Nice.

I shook my head to get back into the frame of mind that I loathed this guy.

"So what’s his problem anyways?" Julie asked.

"I don't know, but I’m going to find out," I replied and handed her my pool stick.

He didn't seem surprised at all that I was coming towards him. He just smiled that stupid smile at me. When I reached him, I slammed my hand on the counter and demanded answers. "What the hell is your problem? Do you find me amusing or something?"

"Well, yes, actually I do," he answered as a matter-of-factly. His voice was sweet, and he had an accent of some kind, hidden underneath.

I kept my cool face though. "Well, if you don't mind, I would very much appreciate it if you would go look for someone else to find amusing, because you're creeping me out." I turned to the bartender and ordered another drink in an attempt to hide my flushed cheeks. He made me nervous and annoyed all at the same time.

"Now, why would I do that when I find you quite entertaining enough?" he asked. I stared at him in amazement. Did this guy ever hear of harassment? I grabbed my drink and left a tip for the bartender.

"Maybe I'm not making myself clear. Leave me alone or I will call the cops," I threatened, and started to walk away.

"Well, maybe we should get to know each other. That way I won't be 'creepy'. We'll be friends," he offered. "I’m Jack, nice to meet you." He held out a hand to shake with a mocking smile.

I was stunned. Was this guy for real? Or was he just making a big joke of me? “Look, Jack, I really don’t feel like ending up on a milk carton, thanks.” I spun on my heel and scurried over towards my friends, but could hear Jack chuckling to himself as I did.

"I'm leaving Jules; I’ll meet you back at the apartment," I told her as I grabbed my jacket. "You walked here right? I'll leave my bike for you. I feel like taking a stroll anyways."

"Okay, are you sure? How bad is this guy? Should I be worried?" she asked, concerned.

I thought about it for a second. I should be scared that this guy would follow me, but I never got that impression from him. I wasn't afraid of him at all. What was wrong with me? Maybe I did want to end up on a milk carton.

"Nah, he's just a jerk. I'll be fine," I assured her. "See you later?"

"You bet," she replied. "We're just going to start another game and then I should be home after that." We hugged as we usually did and I turned to leave. I waved to Will on my way out, he gave me a 'do you want me to walk you home' sort of look and I just gave him a reassuring smile and shake of my head.

Once outside, I thought about Jack, his piercing blue eyes and coy smile. Even though I told him to F-off, deep down I really did want to get to know him for some reason. He was oddly intriguing. Where did he come from? Why did he have this weird interest in me? Did he follow me to the pub? Did I care if he did? These thoughts annoyed the hell out of me. How can I loathe someone and find them interesting at the same time? I was so frustrated. I kicked a rock as hard I could and it landed in the bushes nearby. I was already at the park across the way from my apartment, but I stopped when I heard something in the bushes cry out.

"Ouch! That was rude!"

Startled, I walked towards the rustling to see who the rock had hit. "Sorry, I didn't know someone was in there." Why was someone in there? "Do you need some help?" I asked hesitantly.

"No! Go, leave me alone! Ouch!" replied the little voice. It sounded like a kid or something, fumbling around in there.

"Hey, do you need some help finding your parents? Are you lost?" I asked as I moved some of the branches, trying to see the tiny person. But, strangely, no one was there.

"Okay, I’ll leave you alone. But I just live right over there, above the coffee shop," I pointed for the invisible person. "If you need any help or need to use the phone, you are welcome to come over. My name is Avery." I waited for a reply but got nothing. "Okay, bye," I said, and quickly walked away feeling absolutely ridiculous.

What a bizarre day. I couldn't wait to get home and curl up on the couch. I entered the coffee shop and nodded at the barista, Penny. She usually worked nights that Will wasn't available. She returned the nod with a smile and I headed up the stairs.

When I entered the quiet apartment, I was so relieved. I went to the fridge and pulled out yesterday’s leftover chicken and popped it in the microwave. While I was waiting for it to cook I went and changed into my pyjamas.

I threw a glance at my laundry basket in the corner. The bloody shirt from earlier today was hanging over the edge, beyond saving. I cringed at the thought of seeing Max at school on Monday. There was no way she was going to be able to re-do another sculpture like the one that got wrecked. I felt really bad about that, but then again, she wouldn't feel bad if it were me in her place. So I decided to brush it off.

I was about to leave my room when I heard something rustling behind me, but saw nothing when I turned to look. I stared for a minute, scanning my room, looking for anything weird. Suddenly, something colourful soared around my head. A pigeon! A pigeon had flown into my room. I tried to catch it with my sweater but the bird was so quick I could barely even see it.

"Hey! You’re not very hospitable!" declared a tiny musical voice, the voice from the bushes. I froze in place immediately and dropped my sweater. My God, I think I was going crazy from the trauma of my day. Birds were talking to me.

"Get out! You dirty little bird," I screamed. I didn't know if I was screaming at the pigeon or the voice in my head. Either way, I wanted it out.

"I'm offended, I think I’m a little prettier than a filthy bird!" the voice claimed. I looked to where the sound was coming from. On my bed sat a tiny...fairy. That was the only logical word my mind would form. She was about the size of a Barbie doll and had shimmery sonic blue skin and tiny iridescent wings. Her stark white hair was cut short with tiny beads and things woven in it. Her huge almond shaped eyes were completely black, but not in a scary way. She was so cute, pretty actually.

I don't think I blinked for a long time because my eyes began to water. Or maybe I was crying. I don't know. I slumped against my wall and let my limp body slide down to the floor. I believe I was passing out when the little fairy flew over to me.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to startle you. But you said if I needed help I was welcome to come here. And, well I need help," she stated.

I looked at her dainty little face. Maybe if I let myself pass out this will all go away. I closed my eyes and waited but she slapped me! My eyes flew open in astonishment.

"Hey!" I cried.

"Now we are even for the rock incident," she said smugly. She crossed her skinny long arms and sat beside my face on the floor. "Please don't go to sleep, I cannot carry you if you do. And I need your help Avery."

I became more alert when she spoke my name. "What could you possibly need from me?" I asked. She was a fairy for crying out loud.

"I need a place to stay. There are others after me and I need to hide. Can I stay here?"

She had the cutest look on her face, like a child asking for more candy. How could I say no? After all, I did throw a rock at her. But, what did I know about her? I was only assuming she was a fairy. And, from what knowledge I did have, fairies weren’t real.

"Um, sure," I replied as I chewed my lip nervously. "But I have a roommate; you have to hide when she's here. I don't think I could explain you to her. I don't think I can explain you to myself, for that matter." What was I doing? Amusing my delusions? "Why are people after you? Should I be worried that the fairy police will invade my house?" I laughed at the thought.

"This is not a funny matter Avery," snapped the fairy. "I have run away, escaped actually, from my home in Faerie. What once was a beautiful and magical land has been a dark and scary place for far too long, I had to get away," she explained with tears in her big black eyes. I couldn't bear to see her like this.

"Hey, it's okay. Don't worry you can stay here as long as you like..." I realized then that I didn't know her name. I was betting it wasn't Tinker bell.

"Lattie, my name is Lattie," she offered, holding out her hand to shake. "I’m pleased to meet you." I shook the five tiny fingers between my thumb and index finger. This was the second introduction I got tonight, but definitely far more interesting than the first.

"Hi Lattie," I replied as I pulled myself off of my bedroom floor. "Are you hungry? I made some chicken." She smiled and followed me out to the apartment and over to the microwave. She looked at it in awe.

"What is chicken? It smells good." Lattie was fluttering over my plate and sniffing everything as if she had never seen it before.

"You don't know what chicken is?" I asked surprisingly. "It's, like, the most universal meat."

"Oh, I don't eat meat,” Lattie informed me. “I eat fruit, nuts and insects."

I tried hard not to show my utter disgust for the last part.

"Really, will it hurt you if you do eat meat?" I asked. I had a feeling that there was a lot to learn about my little guest. I still wasn’t quite sure if she would just disappear in the morning, confirming that I’m just utterly crazy.

We stayed up most of the night in my room watching late night television and talking. Well, mostly it was me asking questions about her world and she asking questions about mine.

I found out that the new Queen of Faerie is not a very good one. A lot of fairies have been fleeing to my world, which they call Iron World because it’s the side of the veil full of iron objects, to live as solitary fey in disguise. Iron makes them ill, but they would rather live a secret life and suffer it out than to live in their once beloved land with a horrible Queen. I felt sad for my new friend. How could she possibly ever disguise herself in my world?

I told her all about my life, my friends, Tess and my Dad. I told her about school and the Max incident today.

"This Max seems scary," Lattie said. "Why are you not afraid of her?"

"There's no point to be afraid of her, it will just make things worse. I need to show her that I won't stand for it," I replied through a yawn. I was pooped from my long day. I was so glad that there were no classes tomorrow; I just had to submit my painting.

"You are tired," Lattie pointed out. "I am too, let’s go to sleep."

"Sure thing, you can sleep on this if you like." I grabbed a throw pillow and laid it on my dresser for her and folded a pillowcase in half for her to cover up in. She was ecstatic about this.

"Thank you so much Avery," she said as she cuddled up on the cushion. "This is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on."

I smiled, said good night and cuddled up into my own bed. The last thing I remember, before falling into a deep sleep, was a memory of my childhood. Aunt Tess held my hand as we walked through her garden and she was warning me to never give a sprite gifts or tokens, the gesture binds them to you forever and you will never be rid of them. I swallowed hard as I thought about my pillow and hoped that my aunt was just crazy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 639 29
*Note* Read the First Book before this one: Gemstone Academy. My jaw dropped. What was this? What did it mean? There, written on the wall in sp...
34.8K 2K 38
𝓕𝓪𝓶𝓲𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓸𝓮𝓼𝓷'𝓽 𝓔𝓷𝓭 𝓲𝓷 𝓑𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓭 Morgan is sent to live with her grandmother at a college in the middle of nowhere. Forced from the...
65 7 9
Over one hundred years after a treaty banned the creation of new vampires, Onyxia wakes up as a newly turned vampire with no memories or connection t...
3.8K 1K 43
*Featured in the Paranormal and Supernatural Ambassadors' reading list Blood-Thirsty Beasts (October 2021), in the FreeTheLGBT Ambassadors' reading l...