Iron & Wine

By CandaceOsmond

Iron & Wine is a Paranormal Romance set in a world full of hidden magical places and secret societies cloaked... More

Iron & Wine-Chapter One: Dust Fairies
Iron & Wine-Chapter Two: Hurricane Tess
Iron & Wine-Chapter Three: Home Away From Home
Iron & Wine-Chapter Four: Friends & Foes
Iron & Wine-Chapter Six: Competition
Iron & Wine-Chapter Seven: A Work of Art
Iron & Wine-Chapter Eight: Motion Overruled
Iron & Wine-Chapter Nine: All Hell
Iron & Wine-Chapter Ten: A Night for Introductions
Chapter Eleven - Civil
Chapter Twelve - Fairy Tales
Chapter Thirteen - Jack
Chapter Fourteen - It's a Date
Chapter Fifteen - Party Hard
Chapter Sixteen - Revelations
Chapter Seventeen - Acceptance
Chapter Eighteen - Unveiling
Chapter Nineteen - All That Glitters
Chapter Twenty - Cryptic
Chapter Twenty One - Iron Worlder
Chapter Twenty Two - Answers
Chapter Twenty Three - Matter of Opinion
Chapter Twenty Four - Reassurance
Chapter Twenty Five - Bonds
Chapter Twenty Six - Halloween
Chapter Twenty Seven - Consequences
Chapter Twenty Eight - Max on a Milk Carton
Chapter Twenty Nine - Suicide Mission
Chapter Thirty - Crumble
Chapter Thirty One - Who Are You?
Chapter Thirty Two - Home
Chapter Thirty Three - Hope
Chapter Thirty Four - Open Arms
Chapter Thirty Five - Forever

Iron & Wine-Chapter Five: Love Hate

21K 442 18
By CandaceOsmond

Chapter Five-Love Hate

"I miss you so much, Avery," claimed Tess. She made me promise to call her as much as I could. I called and told her about our first day.

"I miss you too Tess. We're actually thinking of coming home this coming weekend, to pick up a few more things and to see you of course."

"Oh, sorry kid but I have the International Home and Garden Show this weekend. Take a rain check? How about next weekend I come into the city and we'll have a movie night?"

"Sounds good Tess, but I got to go. Will should be here soon."

"Well have fun. I’m glad that you guys made a friend so soon," Tess said, but I knew she was hoping that one of us would be more than friends with him. She was always trying to get us to date. She even set us up one time with one of her designer friends two sons. That was a nightmare. Turned out, they weren’t interested in us. But it wasn't just us; it was any female, if you catch my drift.

Other than that, we had been on a few dates throughout high school and we had dates for prom but no relationships. It's not that we were weird or anything, we just didn't find guys from our small town very interesting. Plus, Julie had her job at the book store and I was always doing minor art competitions and helping Tess out with her work.

I was taking the nachos out of the oven when a knock came at the door. I went to answer it but Julie came running, literally, out of her room.

"I'll get it!" she cried, practically jumping at the handle. I laughed and went back to the kitchen. A few moments later, she and Will entered the room. He had a bunch of rented movies.

"Hey Will. What movies did you get?" I asked. I didn't want to scare him, but Julie and I were pretty hard core movie buffs and we were picky over our movie night rentals.

"I got Kung Fu Kick Off and Terminator one, two and three," he replied. Julie shot me a concerned look. I returned one to her. She hated Kung Fu movies.

"Kidding!" he laughed. "I got Across the Universe and Rent. Geez, you guys should have seen your faces." He laid the movies down on the island. "I'm going to run downstairs and grab some coffees, you guys want?"

I smiled and nodded. "Will, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," I said jokingly. It's like he got us already, the nervousness quickly dissolved from him, so I guess it was just from being around girls.

"I'll come with you," Julie offered. She grinned at me and left with Will to go downstairs. I think I could already see where that was going. I put the nachos on the coffee table and grabbed the popcorn from the microwave and the movies from the kitchen.

They returned with the drinks and some cookies from the cafe. We had an awesome movie spread. We sat and watched the movies and sang along with most of the songs while finishing off almost all of the food. Julie and Will shared the couch while I was curled up in the big comfy chair. The night ended when Julie woke me up from the junk food coma I fell into.

"Hey you, bed?" she whispered. The television was off and the apartment was quiet and dark. I guess Will had left at some point during my nap. I sleepily got up from the chair and said good night as I slugged to my room, sick from all the junk food. I loved movie nights.

The next day at school was crazy. There seemed to be double the amount of people than there was yesterday. We got there early and met Will by the coffee cart.

"So, what are you guys doing later?" he asked.

"Probably celebrating the fact that we got through our first day of college,” I kidded.

“Cool, mind if I join?” he asked, and blushed as he glanced at Julie from the corner of his eye.

“Sure,” my best friend answered with doe eyes and a flirty smile. I discreetly rolled my eyes. I wonder how long this was going to go on.

 The bell rang and we all looked at each other with nervous sighs.

"Meet here for lunch?" I suggested. The three of us agreed and went on our separate ways to begin our first classes.

I made my way up a large staircase and down a long hall, passing about a hundred of my new fellow schoolmates as I did, before stopping in front of the doorway that I would enter every day for the next few years. With one deep breath, I entered the art studio that was now my classroom. I forced a smile as I made my way to a work station in the far back corner right next to the beautiful French doors that looked out over the garden balcony. Perfect. I can't believe no one had nabbed this seat yet.

The class was quickly filling up with students, I noted some of them who gave me strange looks, and then that girl walked in, the angry one from yesterday. She eyed me and glared. I felt like crawling under the table or something. What did I do to offend her already? She strutted over to where I was, everyone's eyes moving back and forth from her to me.

"This is my seat," she simply stated with one hand on her hip.

"I'm sorry; I didn't see anyone's stuff here. I didn't know someone had it."

"I know, but it's clearly the best seat and I was planning on sitting here," she said.

"So, you mean, it's not actually your seat, you just wanted it?" I confirmed. I can't believe her! Who did she think she was?

"Look," she started and intensely leaned in towards my face. "You’ve obviously never heard of me. So I will let you off easy this one time. No one has chosen this work station because it's the best and everyone knows that I always want and get the best. My name is Max Carmichael, of the Carmichaels. I want this work station, so kindly move."

I don't know what came over me. I suddenly wanted to put her in her place and tell her that she was a horrible person, pull her hair at the very least. I didn't care who she was, and I never heard of the Carmichaels either. That wasn't like me.

"Look, Max. If you didn't actually take this seat first then you can forget about me giving it to you. I don't care who the hell you are. The seat next to me is just as good, help yourself." I turned and pretended to be very interested in one of my books. I could tell that I was blushing terribly and could hear everyone gasp in shock, but I didn't care. It felt good to actually stand up to her, I could tell from her expression in the corner of my eye that she wasn't used to people doing that.

She didn't say anything else and reluctantly took the seat next to me. I was kind of hoping she would have chosen another one. Now I have to sit next to her. There goes my idea of avoiding her.

The day went by pretty fast. I met Julie and Will for lunch and he told me all about Max Carmichael.

"Wow, I feel so bad for you Avery. Max is a cold hearted bitch," he exclaimed. "I went to high school with her. She's something' else. Her family is part of this rich group of upper class people; I've never even known her to have any actual friends."

“If she’s from such a high profile family then why did she attend a public school?” Julie asked.

“I have no idea,” Will replied. “Everyone else in her family attended some fancy private school but Max didn’t.”

"Oh well, I’ll deal with it I guess. I'm just going to ignore her best I can."

"Good luck, sounds like she's got it out for you," Julie added. "And you're competition."

I rolled my eyes and finished my coffee and muffin. I really didn't want this to be a big thing. Maybe Max will just grow up and leave me alone…or maybe not.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6 2 1
A fast-paced, amazing story of a young woman bound by magic and family obligations to wed the one man she has always desired but can never truly have...
7.7K 339 94
Maeve's ability to touch others' souls can be heartbreaking and confusing, but when she connects with two murderers, it turns her world upside down...
29 1 7
Blood Lust - Where It All Started In the shadowed alleys of a city steeped in secrets, whispers linger like ghosts in the night, hinting at the pre...
57.4K 4.5K 26
Book 1 - The Royal Blood Collection The world is filled with infighting and desperation; uncertainty is rife. Humanity hides of a night, fearing the...