The Murder Of 1998

Babyafro tarafından

(BOOK ONE OF THE HUNTER SERIES) (COMPLETED) A loving wife, a devoted mother, and a hardworking nurse. This is... Daha Fazla

Authors Note
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

141 13 6
Babyafro tarafından

(A/N) This week I have testing! Yay for school amirite? Anyways, I'm not sure how many times I'll be uploading this week. Tomorrow is the first day of testing and I'm not stoked about it. It's suppose to end like Wednesday or Thursday. Plus I believe the quarter ends like Thursday or next week or something and I have to raise my grades up in a couple of classes cause I've been doing better than ever this year and I wanna keep it like that. This Friday however I have no school so I'll hopefully upload then. No promises. ANYWAYS this is long enough so ima stop here. Please enjoy and don't forget to vote and comment it helps me out a lot :)

Walter handed the piece of paper over the low bulletin that separated his desk from his partners. Seth took the paper from him, looking over it.

"So he did have a car accident. He's not lying about that then."

Walter pointed at the paper. "Keep reading."

Seth's chocolate brown eyes kept skimming over the words on the paper. "Joe took out one–thousand dollars for him? Damn, this lawyer must really love them."

"Yea, but the thing is, the car accident wasn't really that bad. So there would be no reason to pay a thousand dollars just for a little indent."

"So... he scammed him?"

Walter shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not so sure. I found this in Joe's files." He picked up a journal from his desk and handed it to his partner. "He kept it in his house to keep track of all the people he gave money to."

Seth looked over it and furrowed his brow. He could see a list of people who were all clients of Joe's. All of them had a number next to their names and the date he gave them the money. Some of them were as low as just fifty dollars, and some were as high as twenty–thousand. "Damn! This guy is rolling in money to just be giving it out to people."

"Yea, I know. His grandfather used to own a business. It made so much money that one of their rivals actually tried killing him."

"Whoa!"

"Crazy, right? But it doesn't end there. His grandfather had a will made out so that all of his money would go to Joe's dad. But he didn't want the money so his grandfather just gave it straight to Joe."

Seth tilted his head. "What? Are you kidding? I'd be lucky if my dad even gives me a quarter! Why didn't he want the money?"

Walter shrugged. "I'm not sure. I'm guessing they had bad blood or something. But still, that doesn't make me think that just because they weren't on good terms with each other, he wouldn't take the money. I feel like its something more."

Seth looked at the journal, flipping through the pages. The more he flipped, the more jealous he became or Joe Robinson due to how rich he was. Rich enough to just throw all the money away. His eyes scanned each and every page, until he reached Leonardo LaBelle's name. One–thousand dollars.

"I can barley keep my desk organized," Seth stated. He looked up from the journal and just stared off into space. Why wouldn't his father accept his grandfathers whopping amount of money? Sure, maybe they had some differences, but he would still most likely take the money.

"What if it was dirty money?" The two detectives said in unison.

"Jinx, you owe me a black coffee!"

Seth rolled his eyes. "Of course..."

-x-

Raymond tilted his head to the side. It felt weird to be standing inside his own house again. His two children chased each other around the house with no concern. He walked over to the living room. The remote to the tv was missing from its usual spot. He sat down on the couch and rested his elbows on his knees. He took in a deep breath.

He didn't want to be in the house. He bit his bottom lip. He could sell the house and just move. But he worked so hard to have this house. Not to mention his job as well. His neighbors were nice to him. Next door to the right of his house lived his old neighbor, Mister Murphy. He was a very mysterious and stoic man. He wakes up every morning and waters his plants. Raymond would see him at times when he walked out to grab the mail. He truly was an interesting man, but he kinda creeped out Ray since he once caught him staring straight at him. His expression was straight and cold. It was creepy.

Raymond looked through the window of his living room. His mailbox was full. He rushed out of the house and quickly grabbed all the mail inside. He rushed back inside and threw all the letters onto the kitchen island. He began to shuffle through the mail.

Bills, condolence letters from co–workers about Emily, get one buy one free notes from stores, and a post–card from Emily's sister.

But nothing from Jack Reed.

He sighed in disappointment and picked up Victoria's card (Emily's sister). He looked at the front of the post card, seeing the words 'Greetings from Massachusetts' on the front with the picture of an outline of the state. He flipped the card over and began to read the writing.

Dear Ray,

I've heard of my sisters passing. It's painful to hear of it and I wish to God I went to her funeral. But life always manages to get in the way and I can't do anything about it. But, I've made time to go back to New York and spend some time there. I'll be going soon and I will show up at your door steps if you don't mind. Hopefully you understand and thank you. Please be strong.

Sincerely, Victoria.

Raymond wanted to feel joy. He loved Emily's siblings. Victoria was this happy and mature woman even though she was the youngest. She was so intelligent and loved challenges. So it was no surprise when she got accepted into Boston University.

However, Raymond felt no emotions over this card. Instead he just threw it on the table and sighed.

The sudden craving for alcohol began. Raymond didn't want to fight it and just went straight to grab a beer from the fridge.

There was a single beer bottle standing to the side. He thought that he had restocked already. He searched the fridge but found that it was only that one bottle. Raymond scratched his head in confusion.

"Papa, papa!" The two children came running in the kitchen. "I'm hungry!"

Raymond looked down at them. "Well, lets see what there is to eat." He put the beer bottle back and looked back inside the fridge. Not a whole lot. He checked the freezer and only found two packs of meat. It was expired though. July thirtieth was the date it expired. Raymond chuckled and threw the meat away.

Mitchell looked into the trashcan to look at the expired meat. Koralia tilted her head back to stare up at her father. "Papa?"

Raymond smiled. "Who wants pizza?"

-x-

Droplets of rain fell from the sky and hit the cement, creating splashes. Leonardo looked up at the sky and felt the cool rain hitting his face. He wondered how much longer he would have to be standing out in the drizzling rain while wearing nothing more than a thin hoodie.

A black SUV was driving towards the man with its headlights on, shining directly on Leonardo. He furrowed his eyebrows and squinted through the blinding lights. The car finally came to a stop right in front of him and two men came out while the driver stayed inside.

The two men looked similar. Both had a crew cut haircut and wore sunglasses. One of them had a scar on the side of their face. It looked like it was caused by a knife. Leonardo thought it was funny that they wore sunglasses even though it was dark outside.

"Leonardo," the man with the scar said with a thick French acent, "the money?"

Leonardo took out the money he had tucked in his pockets. All of it was in a bag. One thousand dollars. He handed it over to the two men.

"Wait," Leonardo said. The men looked back at him before they made their way back to the car. "Did you kill Mister Robinson?"

The shorter man looked at the other, sighing. His expression—despite not being able to see his eyes from the sunglasses—made Leonardo feel uneasy.

"Of course not. We treated that man like family." The man with the scar whispered.

"So then, who did?"

The shorter man shrugged. "We don't know. We too are looking for who killed him." Leonardo felt some sort of relief in his chest. He knew they wouldn't lie to him about Joe Robinson. He was loved by so many, so it wouldn't make sense for them to kill him.

"Nico is dead too."

The two men stood silently and nodded. "We know."

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

412 59 31
# Book trailer inside🍁 Mark is a simple private detective. "Find me Mark" that's when it's all started. He thought it was an usual thread... Until A...
1.8K 576 24
Twelve year old Night Levine Jackson is found dead at the foot of the stairs in the house she lives with her mother and step father. Detective Flauvi...
4.2K 791 31
-MYSTERY- I'm dead. Deceased. Definitely not breathing. Laying in my favorite striped bikini, the one that fit the absolute best, and showed off m...
10.3K 443 22
13+ One summer afternoon, 21-year old Maria hopped on the train to Twinbrook City to visit her boyfriend David. Sitting next to her was a mysterious...