Mon Pays

By WinterSpark

(Fate Grand Order X Hetalia) Whilst waiting for another Singularity to pop up, Gudako wanted to go sightseein... More

II

I

140 0 0
By WinterSpark

The city was a pleasant change from the stuffy conference room.

Francis, or to some people privy to this information knew him as France, the nation of love, strolled down the sidewalk. It was half past eight in the evening, and the streets were crowded with civilians, tourists and locals alike. The sky was a dark blue, lit up by glittering diamonds of stars. The city lights glowed with a certain beauty that made everything looked remarkable.

It truly was a beautiful sight to see.

Yet, despite this, the nation cared nothing of it. His thoughts were focused on the meeting that transpired earlier that week. World Meetings were chaotic at best, with rarely any actual problems solved before it descended into chaos.

Of course, the first two days of the week long conference were the calm before the storm, added with a sprinkle of arguments here and there. Then, as the days progressed, with more and more nations visiting the local bar, it became difficult to get anything done. Usually, he did not mind it, as he was always part of the chaos. But at the last day, that one scathing remark made by England...

'Damn that black sheep.' Francis bitterly thought, turning to gaze at the Seine river. The surface of the water reflected the world in its own wavy, distorted way. He took a deep breath as he leaned on the railing, absentmindedly watching the ferries. Seeing how lively Paris, his beloved capital, had always been, it made his worries disappear. He could feel those troublesome thoughts dissipating into nothing.

After a while, the nation stood straight, a soft smile playing on his lips as he walked along the path next to the river, his thoughts wandering again. This time, he couldn't help but lament on the past, remembering how it changed him as a nation. The hundred years war, the French Revolution. His heart ached as he wondered what would happen if certain events had a different outcome.

Would she have survive, and live a long life?

No, he would have never met her if that was the case. Francis shook his head lightly, dispelling the thoughts. He shouldn't tarnish her memory like this, not because of some petty argument. Besides, seeing the end result, how he thrived...

It was enough for him.

"Oof!"

He stumbled a little, reflexively holding the arms of the person he bumped into to stabilise the both of them. The girl, as it turned out, had one hand holding her head and her eyes shut, evidently dizzy. Not a moment later, she shook her head, orange locks swaying with the motion as if to dispel the dizziness.

"My apologies, ma cherie. I didn't mean to bump into you." Ever the better gentleman than Angleterre, that black sheep of Europe, Francis offered his apologies. "Although, I am not sorry to meet such a beautiful lady on this fine night."

To her credit, and his mild disappointment, she did not blush nor comment on his flirting, merely glancing back with a sheepish grin.

"I should be the one to say sorry." The girl said, a hint of Japanese accent in her light tone. She scratched the back of her head, amber eyes glimmering with amusement. "I honestly didn't see you until it's too late."

"But even so, please, accept my apologies." He reached for her hand, kissing the back of it before smiling. "I'm Francis Bonnefoy. it's a pleasure to meet you, mademoiselle."

"I-I.." This time, she stuttered and swiftly looked away, a light blush covering her cheeks. Clearing her throat as to compose herself, the girl began her introduction. "My name is Ritsuka Fujimaru, but my friends call me Gudako."

Odd nickname, but he supposed he had heard weirder. What was she doing here alone anyway? "May I ask why is someone such as yourself out here?"

"Well.. See, my friends and I are on a.. vacation. From work.." Ritsuka tilted her head, an odd expression on her face. "And, coincidentally, one of my friends wanted to see the sights here."

"Ah, you made a wonderful decision for coming here." Pleased, the nation offered. "How would you like me to be your tour guide? It would be better to have a local such as myself to show you around, oui?"

"Really?" She gasped, excitement pratically bubbling in her eyes. Her expression sobered a moment later. "But, I shouldn't accept. It's already late, and.."

"Nonsense, the night is still young and I always have time, ma cherie." He then noted the apprehensive look on the girl's youthful features. "What's the matter?"

"N-nothing, it's just.. My friends and I, we didn't expect here to be so crowded." Ritsuka glanced across the river, seeing all the life in the city. "And before I met you, we.."

"You were separated." He surmised. She cringed, but nodded.

"Yeah.. I thought about going to the hotel we were staying at, so I wandered around and around trying to find it, and before I knew it, I'm here." Sighing, amber eyes stared back at him. "Can you help me find my friends?"

"Of course, mademoiselle Ritsuka." Her eyes lit up, and he chuckled. "After all, what kind of a man will I be if I choose not to help a distressed lady?"

...

As it turned out, the hotel was not that far away from where they were.

Ritsuka clearly wanted to find her friends, but after a little bit of persuasion, she relented. And as they walked, they talked. The nation was surprised by how easily they conversed, discussing about various topics, likes and dislikes. Along the way, he pointed out the facts of some of the historical buildings they saw in the distance, chuckling inwardly at the gleaming interest in her eyes.

"Senpai!"

"Master!"

Just then, three different voices called out amongst the noise of the crowd. The girl looked around, her expression brightening as she noticed and waved at her friends. From a distance, a group of three approached them. The first had an exasperated look behind her light purple hair that covered half of her features. She wore a black sweater underneath the white cardigan, short skirt and a pair of black shoes.

Cerulean eyes wandered to the other companions, and he felt the world stopped.

Beside the purple haired girl, a young woman stood almost regally, smiling at Ritsuka with a playful expression on those ice blue eyes. Her long, silver hair were tied in twintails, flowing down to her knees. She wore a red dress, stitched with patterns of black swirls around the hem. However, it was not her that caught his eyes, but the person who stood next to her.

Dressed in a simple white blouse and blue skirt reaching her knees, the woman felt his gaze and focused on him, stiffening. Her eyes, as bright as the blue sky, stared back at him, filled with surprise, disbelief. Golden locks of hair, longer than he remembered, was tied in a braid down her back. Without a doubt, Jeanne d'Arc and Marie Antoinette stood right in front of him.

"Mon dieu.." He breathed.

The conversation between the others faded into the background as they stare at each other. So many thoughts rushed into his head, so many fear, sadness, regrets. He wanted to hold her hand once more, he wanted to apologise, he wanted to hug her close and cry, to finally ease this centuries old ache in his chest.

But he did none of those things and looked away instead, because he knew it was impossible to have such an encounter.

"-cis? Francis-san?" Ritsuka's voice brought him back to reality, anchoring him away from such painful thoughts. They were staring at him now, concern etched on their faces. He smiled apologetically, not aware of the look of sad recognition.

"Je suis désolé, it was rude of me to phase out like that. It's just that.." He trailed off and shook his head, gazing wistfully at the silverette and blonde. His smile turned forlorn and sorrowful as he reminisced in his mind. "You reminded me of the people I met a long time ago."

"Wh-what were they like?" A familiar voice, so strong and angelic, spoke out quietly. It made his soul sing with delight, hearing it again.

"...One was cheerful, responsible. She remained optimistic even when people hated her." Even as she placed her head at the guillotine, her hair short and choppy, his reine smiled at him, a smile that told him all he needed to know. "The other was... Fiery, confident. She held on to her beliefs, and saved me so many times." Even as she stood on a stake, even as he tried to fight his way at the back of the crowd weeping, his ange smiled gently at him, a smile that held no regrets.

"But I should not burden you with such information, oui? After all, you are here to explore." Francis glanced at the watch strapped to his wrist. He opened his mouth, intending to recommend a good restaurant, when someone spoke instead, her tone gentle.

"Even now, you're still such a silly man, Francis."

That statement, while seemingly unassuming, made his heart skip a beat.

Cerulean blue met ice blue as they stared into each others' eyes, one frantically trying to decipher and the other shone with mirth. The silverette had a kind smile on her lips, one that he recognized from anywhere. His eyes widened and he turned his gaze at the blonde, who had a similar smile. Could it be? He did not dare to hope, even as he felt his chest ache with longing.

"..Do I know you..?"

In response, the young woman approached him, wrapping both her hands into his own, raising it to aligned with both of their hearts. She closed her eyes and gave that same smile as she did back then, simply repeating her final words. "Vive la France."

Vive la France.

Long live France.

"Marie.." The name came out in a choked whisper, emotions raging in his conflicting mind. The nation felt disbelief, confusion and, for the first time in centuries, hope above all. "H-how?"

"It's a bit of a long story." Her expression brightened as she let go of his hands, stepping aside as to create a path. "However, I'm not the person you should talk to right now."

The blonde woman beamed as he stepped towards her, sky blue twinkling with longing.

"It's been a long time, mon pays." She murmured, gasping lightly as he wrapped his hands around her in a tight embrace. Jeanne did the same in return, leaning in whilst trying to hold back her tears. "I miss you so much."

"Jeanne." Francis kept mumbling, holding her tighter as he began to sob. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. It's all my fault."

"No, please, don't blame yourself." Jeanne lifted her head, placing a hand underneath his chin to make him look at her. "Francis, open your eyes and look at me."

He did so, albeit hesitantly.

"It is not your fault. Don't you ever blame yourself for the consequence. I-" She choked in her tears, trying to be strong for the both of them. "I chose to fight for you, for your sake. Everything I did was my own decision. So, please.. Don't.. Don't blame yourself because of my actions."

The dam burst, and the tears she had been trying to hold back came flowing down her cheeks.

...

For a while, they stood there, crying until there was nothing left. They were content in staying at each others' embrace. Finally, Jeanne broke apart and wiped her wet cheeks with her hand, glancing at the trio who had been politely ignoring them.

"Master... can we tell him about our circumstances?"

Upon hearing her title, Ritsuka gazed at her, thinking for a moment, before looking at the purple haired girl. Francis cast a confused look at the blonde woman before him, then at the others. Clearing his throat to compose himself, he spoke.

"As much as I am glad to see you again, I have to wonder how you are alive and well."

"Well.." The orange haired girl scratched the back of her head. She glanced at the others, seeing them nod, and sighed. "How about this. You have questions you want answers, and the same goes for me. So why don't we do an information trade?"

He pondered on the offer, feeling hesitant for a good reason. The existence of personification of nations had always been a secret, especially in this day and age. He did not want to risk exposing himself as well as the others to unknown dangers.

"Francis." He felt a squeeze on his palm, and he gazed down, meeting her eyes. She smiled reassuringly. "It's okay. Despite how Master may act sometimes, she knows how to keep a secret."

There was also that nagging question. Why was she calling Ritsuka 'Master'?"

"..On one condition. Whatever I told you will not be repeated to anyone else." Cerulean blue eyes met at amber eyes as he glared at her. She did not falter from his gaze, staring back unflinching. After a while, the nation nodded, satisfied. He stared out at the distance, watching his city bustled with life even as the night went on. "I know a good restaurant where we can talk this over, so why don't we head there, oui?"

...

I will mark this story as complete since this will be a series of one shorts. If you would like to suggest a Servant next, please, by all means, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174K 292 25
Compilation of the Best Stories on Literotica
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
Fate By v xxxiri v

Short Story

21.3K 1.5K 12
"๐š†๐š‘๐šŽ๐š— ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐šข ๐šœ๐š๐š˜๐š™ ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š–๐šŽ ?" ๐™ฐ ๐Ÿท๐Ÿป ๐šข๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š› ๐š˜๐š•๐š, ๐š…๐š’๐šœ๐š‘๐š—๐šž ๐šŠ๐šœ๐š”๐šŽ๐š ๐šŒ๐š›๐šข๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š‘๐š’๐šœ ๐š‘๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š›๐š ๐š˜๐šž๐š. "๐š†...
161K 6.5K 73
โžฝJust short love stories...โค โ‡โค๏ธ. โ‡๐Ÿ–ค. โ‡โ™ฅ๏ธ. โ‡๐Ÿ’™. โ‡๐Ÿฉท. โ‡๐Ÿค. โžฝ๐Ÿ’›Going on. โžฝ๐ŸฉถComing up [Ignore grammatical mistakes. I will improve my writing gradual...