Land of Smoke and Ashes

By ELatimer

When seventeen-year-old Natalie Porter finds a treasure chest belonging to her dead mother hidden away in the... More

The Article in the Attic
Secrets and School Daze
The Library
Searching for Answers
Moonlight and Lavender
Pirate Pat
Through the Woods
The Black Mountains
Creature, Captor, Rescuer
The DeadWoods
What Waits in Darkness
Through the Looking Glass
Deadly Charms
Allies and Enemies
The Truth Revealed
A Little Bit of History
Nightmares
It's a Plan
Snake oil Salesman
Black Market Jewelry
Sunshine in the Darkness
The Tunnel
Sweet and Deadly
Through Dark Glass
A New Plan
The Black Palace
Black Mist, Black Magic
A New Plan
New Allies for Old Enemies
Fresh Bread and Treachery
A New Plan
A Song and a Lie
Silk & Deception
Family Secrets
The Castle
Deadly Plans
Spies and Soldiers
All in the Family
Hands of the Creator
An All Consuming Darkness
The Beginning of the End
A Long Way Down Home
The Letter

A Plan in Motion

2.6K 253 8
By ELatimer

It turned out that "breakfast" consisted of bread and cheese, and weak, watery tea. But Natalie hadn't expected much better from the pub, and it quelled the growling in her stomach. Kira laid out her idea while they ate. They would go in as merchants, into the open-air market.

"Here's the thing," she said through a mouthful of cheese. "We can't get into the palace on feast day unless we're invited, so...we need to figure out a way to get invited. But you know who will be invited? The queen's own personal vendors, they'll be in the marketplace too. I happen to know the woman who makes silks for her majesty. If we can get her to bring us on as her shop helpers..." Kira waved one hand in the air. "We can get you past the gates. Once you're inside, that's all you. Have you thought out how you're going to bust your mother out?"

Natalie's stomach dropped. She had not even gotten that far in her planning. Her only idea had been to go to Kira for help.

The princess must have seen her face drop, because she shook her head, smiling. "Hey, no sweat. You have a week to plan. We get in good with the vendor, I can get us in. Sound good?"
"Uh, yes. Listen, don't tell Sam, okay?" Natalie hesitated. "I don't think he'd like any of this."

"Oh, you don't have to tell me that." Kira grinned. "I don't fancy getting on the man's bad side."

Natalie chewed the stale bread without answering. It wasn't that Sam didn't want to help her, he had wanted to help her, he had taken her to Sera, and then Kira, all to try to find her mother. But he hadn't planned on the queen coming here. Sam seemed like the type who didn't improvise particularly well. Everything had to be carefully planned. That, she realized, is what leaders did. They planned things, gave orders, made sure everything was running smoothly. And she, Natalie, was an anomaly. She did not belong to his team, not really, and she had not been part of his plan.

She felt a little guilty for messing things up for him, but there was no way around it. She was doing this. He didn't have to come or put any of his crew in danger.

"Okay," she said to Kira "It's a good plan. When do we do this?"

"The first open air market is tonight, like the pirate king said." Kira stroked one finger across her pointed chin. "If I can get us merchant costumes soon enough, we might be able to do it tonight. I know Sam will be occupied, there's bound to a be a meeting of the—of his people." Kira flushed red, and Natalie was sure she'd almost said some kind of group name. The rebels, whoever they were. She didn't ask, since the middle of the shabby pub didn't seem like the best place to discuss this particular subject.

"Wait for me in the apartment," she said. "If I can, I'll come for you and you can say we're going to meet someone downstairs to find out more information about your mother or something." She shrugged. "I dunno, make up some kind of excuse. If Sam isn't there they shouldn't try to stop you. The others aren't nearly as uptight as he is."

Natalie snorted. If it was just Edward he would probably gladly escort her out and lock the door behind her. "I'll see what I can do."

"Good. See you tonight." Kira got up and slid a piece of copper across the bar to the bar tender, who took it with a grunt of acknowledgement and swept their dirty dishes off the bar.

Natalie found it incredibly hard to sit still through dinner that night. Nobody seemed to think it odd that Kira had gone, and Sam made some remark about her coming and going at all hours. At least she had the necklace back now. It had been strange going all morning without it. She kept glancing over at Sam during dinner, remembering his hand brushing hers last night, how close he'd sat in the dark. Her face felt hot just thinking about it. On top of that he had followed through with his promise to get Gwen to make her up some sleeping draught, and he had shown her how to blend the herbs together before poring hot water over the concoction, promising it would send her into sleepless dreams. She'd had trouble not studying his side profile as he'd crushed the leaves in the bowl, his head bent in concentration.

"We shouldn't have the princess here again," Edward muttered, jerking Natalie out of her thoughts. She frowned at him. He'd been complaining about it for hours and it was starting to seriously wear on her nerves. "She puts us at risk, the human is bad enough, with all the soldiers hunting for her."

Irritated, Natalie opened her mouth to say she had a name, thank you very much, but Jesse was already saying hastily, "The soldiers aren't going to bother." She broke a piece off the loaf of bread in front of her, depositing it onto her plate. "They're going to be pretty lax this entire week, so you should take advantage of that." She gave Sam a pointed look, and he folded his arms over his chest, narrowing his eyes at her.

"I told you, we don't make a move until we know the outcome of the diplomatic treaty."

"You know what the outcome will be," Gwen said darkly. "He's going to throw a hundred solutions at her, and she's going to pretend to be polite and listen to them all."

"And then she's going to turn around and tell him the only way she'll stop is an alliance, with him. And he's not stupid enough for that. He knows she'd bump him off the second the crown touched her head. What better way to get the entire country in the palm of her hand without lifting a finger."

"There's no way he'll go for that." Edward said, and then the confidence wavered slightly and he glanced at Devon. "Would he?"

"No," Devon said grimly. "But all that means is that we're back to another stalemate. She's going to keep taking over cities and demanding money and tithes from all her new 'subjects' and he's going to keep protesting peacefully. Peaceful is over though, we need action."

Sam shook his head, his expression frustrated. "Action is good but I'm not sending our people on a suicide mission." He set his fork down, though his dinner was hardly touched. "We'll talk it over at the meeting tonight." He glanced over at Natalie. "Will you be fine for an hour on your own here? Nobody should come in, and we'll make sure the doors are locked."

A tingle of excitement ran through her, and she had to work hard to keep her face straight. This couldn't be more perfect. With the others off at whatever secret meeting they were conducting, she would be able to meet up with Kira and sneak into the open-air market. Of course, an hour wasn't very much time, and most likely they would see her coming back in, but it was better to take action now and apologize later, wasn't it? There was no way he would let her go otherwise.

"Sure," she said, making sure her voice was flat. "I'm sure it's fine."

After dinner she waited impatiently for them to leave. To her frustration they left in groups, so as not to attract suspicion, Jewels explained. Whatever it was for, it took a very long time until the last stragglers, Edward and Devon, were out the door. Even after the sound of their footsteps in the stairwell faded, Natalie stayed where she was seated on the end of the bed, nerves gnawing at the insides of her stomach. What if they had walked past the open door of the pub and seen Kira in there? That would give everything away. But Kira was a spy, she had to be good at not being seen when she didn't want to be, right?

Natalie took a deep breath and tried to calm herself down. Disguises or not, it wouldn't do much good if she looked as twitchy as she felt. People would guess she was up to something merely by looking at her face. She twisted the ring around her finger, frowning down at it. It was strange that this was the only thing keeping her from looking completely obvious. What if it fell off somehow while they were beside the palace? What if the soldiers spotted her and realized she was human? She would be dragged into the dungeons while they tried to figure out where the necklace was. That would be short work though, they would find it in her pocket immediately.

Uneasily, she thought about leaving the necklace here. But that thought made her almost as nervous as having it on her in the marketplace. It wasn't as though she didn't trust the others—well, maybe not Edward—but she didn't know if she could bear being parted with it. It was her and her mother's only way home, and her only connection to her mother.

Another deep, shaky breath, and Natalie got to her feet. It had to have been at least ten minutes, right? That seemed like enough time that they would be long gone from the inn, and she opened the door slowly, edging her way down the staircase a step at a time. The faint noises of laughter and the clatter of mugs on the bar drifted up the stairs to where she stood. It was busy down there, people were still eating dinner, which was good. The more packed it was the less likely they were to attract attention.

She saw Kira right away. The princess had elected to wear the same patchy cloak that Natalie had first seen her in, and she was sitting in one of the corner booths cradling a steaming mug. When Natalie slid into the booth across from her the smell of apple cider washed over her, and her mouth began watering.

"Here, drink up." Kira slid a second mug across the table, and Natalie took it gratefully. The princess kept her hood on, but she leaned forward, close enough that Natalie could see underneath it. "I got the clothing we need. I tried to get a message to Darjaling, but I haven't heard back yet. She's probably just insanely busy, as usual. Life's tough when you're the murderous queen's favorite silkmaster." Kira's mouth curved in a smile. "I hope you like purple, because we're going as silk merchants, and let's just say our outfits reflect that."

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11 1 13
In a quaint town nestled between rolling hills and murmuring streams, lives Emma, a young woman with an insatiable thirst for adventure. One day, whi...
104 2 32
Lamia Fadel is 19 years old. She just left her parent's home, and is now battling her way through college life. One day at work, she locks eyes with...
20.3K 1.4K 27
Lachlan Shadowblade has one job, steal the Dragon Tooth Stone from the Deepwood Vault, a witch's bank notorious for being impenetrable to thieves. Bo...
2.3K 339 29
Completed. All of the things you've heard and read about in fairy tales or comic books as a kid are true. Magic and monsters are real, but are only v...