The Minoan Rhapsody

By Al_R_Arce

Olympus had no foresight, clouded by the chaos created by their own. As they struggled from within, the Minoa... More

The Contest
Three Sisters
The Fall
The Sintians
The Olodon
Everything
Mosychlos
The Nekromanteion
Avaris
Lemnian Fire
Olympia
Spectators
The Zagreus Rite
The Strogula
Behemoths
The Fatherless
Poliochne
Giza
Respite
Ravaged
Daedalus
The Myrmerkes
Moudros Bay
Naukratis
Tailless Dog
Rest easy. Rest well.
Myrina
The King
Olive Grove
A Slave and the Unborn
Rebuild and Protect
Black Hearts
Pentheus
The Market
Kekiru
The Kapeleia
Pasiphae
Three Conversations
The Cretan Bulls
Elderberries
Atal-s'en
A Promise
Whispering
No Pause
Five Days
Lampa
A Second Promise
A Message
Icarus
Lemnian Deeds
The Festival
The Return
The Keiftu
The Labyrinth
Epilogue

Dealing with Gods

8 1 0
By Al_R_Arce

The winds rushed together in unison. Minos' ship sail seams were stretched, the mast creaked, and the ropes squeaked as if the ship asked for reprieve. The hull cut through the waves, creating a mist of sea water over the stern. There was no need for oars as the Gods were in a hurry to return the Keiftu to Knossos, along with three Athenians. Daedalus' sons were on the top deck of the ship.

"You know you won't catch anything," Iapyx told his brother who was holding a fishing line he tossed over the stern. He looked back up at the full sail. "We are sailing too fast for the fish to bite the hook."

"What else am I going to do?" Icarus shrugged his shoulders, his sight focused on the ship's wake. He was as young as Minos was at the time of the contest with his brothers. Scrawny with short, feathered cut light brown hair, he was of fragile nature.

"It's not like this is the first time you go on a long voyage you know." Iapyx, the older of the two by a handful of winters, was closer to being a man than a child. His skin tone was uneven thanks to Egypt's unrelenting sun. He was fit, always eager to try something new.

"You just had to say it, didn't you?"

"Say what?" Iapyx frowned back.

"Athens you idiot! You just had to remind me of when we left home," Icarus punched his brother on the shoulder. "I hate sailing. It makes me sick. How long have we been here? Do you know how much longer it will be before we get to Knossos, or wherever they are taking us?"

"It'll be one more day from what I've been told," Iapyx shrugged his brother's punch off. "Stop complaining. King Minos and his men are treating us well. We haven't had to do any work on board. You should be glad they haven't made us empty the shit buckets or clean up the deck."

"I would rather burn in Hades than get on my knees to clean up old wood planks," Icarus scowled. He briefly grasped a pendant that hung halfway his bare chest. It was a half-melted silver ring.

At that instant, something yanked the fishing line, cutting Icarus' hands. He whimpered while letting go of it. The fishing line was swallowed by the sea.

"Oh no! Do you think it was one of the pink dolphins?" Iapyx wondered looking back at the sea while paying no attention to his brother's hands. "King Minos would kill you!"

"Kill me? You were here too! Besides, who cares about dolphins?" Icarus licked the blood droplets from his hands.

"Stop whining! Clean it up with some sea water. It'll make you feel better."

"Let me be. Go play with the dogs. Clean up their shit while you are at it. I am tired of stepping on it," Icarus said as he looked back at the sea. Before his eyes, a huge black mass surfaced briefly from the depths. He saw no head or tail. "Did you see that?!"

"See what?"

"A monster! It was right behind us!" Icarus pointed back at the sea.

"A monster?" Iapyx narrowed his eyes. "You are seeing things. The sun is playing tricks with your eyes. Just clean up that wound. Sea water I tell you."

He walked away with a grin. He passed a few Keiftu who were working the upper deck. He went down a ladder below deck were most of the crew were. Some were inspecting oars, while others were handling their supplies. He saw King Minos talking with the Captain of the ship. He approached his father, who was sitting by a table at the bow of the ship.

Daedalus attentively studied two small amphorae: one Egyptian and one Keiftu.

"Papa," Iapyx called. "Why are you looking at those two jars?"

"Come here. Let me show." Daedalus grabbed the Egyptian amphorae. "What do you see?" He pointed at its decorations.

"Hmm," he grabbed it. "Lines. No wait. Waves. Are those antelopes? Can't be. Goats. I think they are goats."

"Notice how every image is perfectly aligned. Everything is neatly placed, rigid, and the colors are subdued." He took the jar back, placed it on the table and grabbed the Keiftu amphorae. "Now what do you see?" He handed it to Iapyx.

"An Octopus. A big octopus amongst the algae."

"You see how the tentacles seem to move as you rotate it? They overlap and cover much of the amphorae. There is not a single straight line. Everything is curved."

"I don't like the color."

"The images are black, but they are brilliant and contrast with the lighter background. This is movement, Iapyx. This is life," Daedalus eyes sparkled.

Iapyx returned the jar to his father. His eyer weren't moved by Daedalus explanation. "What do you think Knossos will be like?"

"I don't know. But if the painting on this jar is any indication, it will be like nothing we've ever seen before." His face lit up with excitement.

"Do they speak Egyptian, or perhaps Greek?"

"You've heard the crew speak among themselves. Their language is a lot like ours. As far as Egyptian, everybody speaks some of it. Don't worry. You're resourceful and will get by just fine." Daedalus' hand squeezed and shook his son's shoulder.

King Minos approached them. "Young man," he enthusiastically said to Iapyx. "Will you someday become a great builder like your Father?"

"If the Gods wish it," Daedalus replied.

From above deck, a yell and cursing out loud was heard.

Iapyx chuckled.

"Was that your brother?" Daedalus asked.

"Yes," Iapyx said amused.

"Check on him."

"Oh, I know what happened to him, Papa. Sea water. He got cut and cleaned it up with sea water."

"Why would he do that? Never mind. Go check on your brother." He shook his head while watching Iapyx leave, trying to contain his laughter.

Minos asked him, "What have you learned from the objects I gave you to study?"

"The Keiftu are a unique culture indeed."

"I told you, we are not Egyptians or Greeks. You must learn our ways and you won't do it unless you see, feel, breathe, and live Khaptirus. None of this will happen in this ship. Rest. Take the time to forget about monolithic walls, slender columns, obelisks, and statues. At Knossos you will have much to learn before you do anything else."

The male Saluki dog walked towards Daedalus, lifted his hind leg and peed on him.

The Athenian pushed the dog away with his leg. "Stupid dog!"

Minos grinned. "These dogs also have a lot to learn." He turned away. "Clean yourself up. Tomorrow we'll reach Knossos"

#

Sisyphus stormed inside Myrina's home. His breathing was heavy, his stare, empty. He slammed the door shut and wiped the sweat off his forehead with his hand.

"What are you doing here?" Myrina asked while breast feeding Hypsipyle.

"I must leave Lemnos at once."

"What did you do now?"

"Do you know if Thoas was expecting any ships?"

"What happened to the Strogula? Did it sink?"

"The crew is dead," he began pacing from side to side. "All of them."

"What do you mean everyone is dead? You are not making any sense. Can you stay still for a moment?"

Sisyphus went to a table by a wall, grabbed a bladder of wine and began gulping from it. He sat on a chair. "Scorilo was found, just outside Poliochne. He was almost dead from exhaustion. He was yelling nonsense, talking about the Gods killing everyone on board the Strogula."

"The Gods?"

"No one took him seriously. They thought he'd gone mad. But when I heard, I knew. I knew!"

"You knew what?!" She heard the door behind her creek open.

Thanatos walked in.

Myrina opened her eyes wide. She saw his translucent wings, his pale, serene semblance, and his sword of souls. Yet more than anything, there was something about his presence that was overwhelming. The smell of newly bloomed flowers coming off the God made her sniff. Irises?

Sisyphus stood while letting the wine bladder drop to the floor. He retreated until his back was against the wall. He felt the cold stare of death chilling him to the bone. "Demeter! Demeter, you made me a promise!" He yelled.

Thanatos unsheathed his blade. He ignored Myrina.

"I did my part!" Sisyphus yelled again; his forehead wrinkled.

Hypsipyle began to cry.

Thanatos took a couple of steps towards him.

"If I die, she will know it was you! Persephone will know, I swear!"

Myrina, hushed her daughter. The tingling of her nose increased as the scent of irises intensified. She saw Demeter materialize out of thin air. These are Gods! In my house!

Thanatos stopped and looked at Demeter.

"What do you mean Persephone will know?" The Goddess looked at the crying newborn and pointed a finger at her. "Sleep."

Hypsipyle immediately fell asleep.

"You are alone. There is no one else to remember what we talked-"

"No, I'm not!" Sisyphus interrupted Demeter.

The Goddess looked at Thanatos who acknowledged, "One of the Strogula's men was left alive-"

"And by now he has told a dozen more of your promise to me. They know you ordered Persephone's capture. That it was you who taught me how to keep her captive. It's no longer a secret that you promised me a kingdom in return. How will you quiet the gossip that my sudden death will spark?" He took a couple of steps towards the Goddess while tilting his head sideways as he spoke. "They will say, 'Demeter cannot be trusted. She doesn't fulfill her promises.' It would not be long before the rumors reach Persephone's ear."

Demeter clenched her jaw.

"If I die, she will know it was you who arranged her capture."

"What do you want?"

"Demeter!" Thanatos snapped.

She held her hand up, looking at the floor.

Thanatos shoulders tensed up. "Your brother ordered-"

"I will deal with him," she barked back with a cold stare.

"You promised me a kingdom." Sisyphus continued. "I want it, but with a long life to enjoy it. No tricks. If I'd known who I was hiding her from, my price would have included eternity."

"You never asked." Demeter shut her eyes, took a deep breath, and waived her hand. Sisyphus presence faded away.

"What have you done?!" Thanatos barked.

"What any mother would do for her children. You will not pursue him. Not yet. My brother will agree to preventPersephone's irritation."

Thanatos sighed. "Olympian solutions tend to complicate things."

"Worry about the future once it's here," Demeter said.

Thanatos nodded, and walked out the door.

"Where is my brother?" Myrina asked. "What did you do with him?"

Demeter turned towards the Lady of Lemnos. "He is in Corinth."

"Where is that?"

"Too far away from you. You should thank me. You will not see him again. Tell everyone who would listen, he said goodbye to you. That he was tired of Thoas and decided to leave Lemnos behind."

"Why should anyone believe me?"

"You are the Lady of Lemnos," she caressed Myrina's cheek with the back of her hand. "You are more powerful than you think."

"Why did you let him go?"

"It was better to avoid Persephone's anger." The Goddess looked and smiled at Hypsipyle who was still asleep. "The things we do for our children. You will do great and terrible deeds for your daughter too."

Myrina's eyes glistened.

Demeter looked at the Lady of Lemnos and with a serene semblance advised her, "Never trust a God, unless you have something they want and can't get." The Goddess faded away.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

950 33 30
This eBook is PG-13. Mature content added. Zeus' children always made fun of him and it totally made him mad, but his wives told him that they were j...
683 31 17
The Labyrinth is an ever changing maze, designed to make even the strongest minds go insane inside its walls. When Adelaide Beckett accidentally ente...
46.3K 1.4K 32
Kidnapped. After a startling discovery, Ali has been taken captive by Luke and his army. Kronos has almost attained enough power to rise, but he nee...
1.4K 41 10
When 13 year old Anahita Jackson comes to Camp Half-Blood and is assigned the same place as her older brother once lived Percy Jackson. Once she real...