Should Have Not Asked - New A...

By Mara19Lyn

"You were money in my eyes, Damien. Nothing more. How can that be amusing to you?" Angel Mohr sold for a stag... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Diner
Chapter 2 - His Proposal
Chapter 3 - The Price
Chapter 4 - Hanging By A Thread
Chapter 5 - The Choice
Chapter 6 - A Not So Good Negotiation
Chapter 7 - Losing Face, Gaining Hope
Chapter 8 - Masking Feelings
Chapter 9 - Messing Up Heads
Chapter 10 - Putting Off The Fire
Chapter 11 - Beneath The Skin
Chapter 12 - The Job Description
Chapter 13 - A Night Of Hunter
Chapter 14 - Limitless
Chapter 15 - Breathing Underwater
Chapter 16 - Tailing
Chapter 17 - Act Not Told
A Preview on Chapter 19 - When Tables Are Turned
Chapter 19 - When Tables Are Turned
A Preview on Chapter 20 - More Than Just That One Night
Chapter 20 - More Than Just One Night
Chapter 21 - Disquiet In The Clouds
Chapter 22 - I Won't Say
Chapter 23 - Grey and Dull
Chapter 24 - Not An Illusion
Chapter 25 - Under The Stars
Chapter 26 - I Love You
Chapter 27 - Stone
Chapter 28 - A Day with Hunter
Author's Note
The Greatest Announcement of All Time!
JUST FOR YOU!
I NEVER EXPECTED THIS!
FREE GOODIES JUST FOR REBELS!!!
Do you have questions for Angel and Damien?
Even more free stuff just for you!
Hooray for us! <3
Let's make Shouldn't Have Asked Viral!
OMG OMG OMG! Best news evAr!!!
TOMORROW.
The day is HERE!!!
It's here!!
I want your name in my book!
THIRD BOOK (FINAL) is getting published!
FREE COPY!!!
Interview
Full Book Back on Wattpad
Amor Eterno soon to come!
AMOR ETERNO!!
AMOR ETERNO: Last Day to get the book free!
3,2,1...
Tomorrow!!!
AMOR ETERNO!! Ready, set, launch!!
We're live!!
Exciting News!!

Chapter 18 - In Their Eyes

17.8K 533 11
By Mara19Lyn

All is set. I hurry downstairs wearing a knee-length floral sundress Dad gave me as a birthday slash graduation present. He and Mom still don't have the slightest idea that I won't be graduating. In all sincerity, I do intend to tell them... on the right time. I just don't think both of them are ready to hear about this mega disappointment. They've been expecting a lot from me, and I'll be breaking their heart when I tell them. Dad might have a heart attack.

Skipping steps on the stairs and flipping my hair to the side as I take glances in the mirror, I hear Ray's voice yelling about his chocolate muffins being charred in the oven.

"Seriously, you have to buy a new oven!" he hisses, his nose crinkling and his eyes hooded in disgust over his burned food. "It ruined my baking skills!" Ray always take pride in his so-called baking skills. Well, he has all the right to brag about it since he's got a certificate on baking through an online tutorial agency.

"That oven is older than me!" I chuckle. "Are they even edible?"

"You pierced my heart!" A frown on his face shows just how deeply frustrated he is. "I just want Mrs. Mohr to taste it. She makes excellent pastries!"

I wrap my arm around his neck and quickly smack a kiss on his cheek when he shudders and starts whining. "I hate it when you start doing lovey-dovey things on me, Angel!" He hastily dabs his cheek with his palm as his face turns sour. "You know I only like boys! I hate the effect of that kiss on me! Seriously? Don't you have someone else far dangerous of a target than me?"

"My lips are saved for my Mr. Right!" I tease.

"I'm absolutely not your Mr. Right!"

"But you said once..."

He cuts me immediately after his face turned pink. "I just said that because you were depressed," he explains.

"I wasn't depressed!"

"Then what do you call that? Some state of confusion?" Raising his eyebrow at me, I discern that he is going beyond teasing. "You love to play the blind victim, sweetie!"

"I do not!" I fear that when he goes any further, I will lose my temper, and Ray would be sorry. The last time I was honestly angry at him was in junior high. I prefer not to narrate that awful incident. Just the memory of it makes my blood boil. But we already forgave each other. I just don't want a piece of it loitering around my serene mind again.

"The perfect guy could be near. You just didn't notice or chose not to," he utters in a whisper, rolling away his eyes from me to the tray of charred muffins.

"I heard you," I warn.

"The truth stings, right?" His eyes gleam.

"I will hear nothing from you for the rest of the day!" I start walking away from him when Ray begins his flair at annoying me.

"It could be the hot doctor!" Trailing behind me, he talks nonstop. I sense my ears starting to heat up. Does he have to remind me about Eric, especially the cruelty I did to him?

"Or it could be the cutie Colin!"

"Shut up!" We reach the living room in no time. I quickly reach for Ray's bag and toss it to him.

Smirking, he pitches a blue throw pillow from a nearby couch, and it lands right away to my face.

"Or the super gorgeous, sexy, hot Etheridge!"

"One more word from you, and I'll kick you out of here!" I am serious.

"It's not good to kick an honored guest out!"

"Exactly! So shut up!"

"Okay, okay." He raises both his hands in surrender. "I can't believe you'll be this worked up with the mention of those hot guys."

"I'm not, Ray Gaskell!" I shoot him a glare.

Ray quickly hangs his bag on his shoulder and walks to the door. He'd be leaving for the hospital to fetch Mom and Dad while I prepare the house for a little welcome party. It's supposed to be my birthday celebration too, but I didn't want to enjoy much of it when I know I am lying to both Mom and Dad.

"You sure you don't want cake? I can drop by at Martha's and buy your favorite caramel custard cake," Ray says, peeping through the half-opened door.

"We talked about this, Ray."

"Okay, not gonna argue."

Before Ray could close the door, a car pulled up in front of our porch.

Ray calls me in a high-pitched voice. I quickly cross the doorstep, and I feel my heart lurching to my throat.

No way!

It is the most horrible sight ever!

Not his car for heaven's sake!

'What's he doing here, Angel?" Ray asks as he pulls me by the arm.

"I don't know," I respond almost in a whisper, my eyes fixed at the sight of my very parents coming out of Damien's silver convertible. Mom's grin reaches her ears, and I think I know what she's thinking right at this very moment. It reminds me of the conversation that shouldn't have happened in the hospital cafeteria. I can't believe she has this impossibly creative imagination. With that grin on her face, I just knew this day won't be a regular one. I'm sure she's behind all this.

"Angel!" Dad calls with his arms as wide as an eagle's wings. He hurries to the porch to meet me. Kissing me on the forehead, he then turns to the excited Ray who looks like he's got ants in his pants. "Behave young man."

Dad seems to have noticed how Ray ogles Damien like he's visually ripping him off his shirt.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart." Mom walks closer and hugs me.

"I'm not going to forgive you if this is your idea," I tell her.

"Relax. Give me a break, sweetie." She touches my glowing red cheeks. Damien is just right behind Dad who was talking to the elated Ray. Even though he keeps that reserved, unassuming look, I could feel the intensity of his glare on me.

I shouldn't have told Mom a thing then this endless teasing wouldn't have occurred.

"Why is he here?" I pull Mom to the corner. Dad eyes us, but he doesn't do anything and leads Damien to the dining table where our little feast is set.

"Don't blame me," Mom answers. "He's just being nice. Got us a drive home. Saved Ray his time."

"You planned this!"

"No, sweetie. It was George who insisted," she quickly answers after reaching for my cold trembling hands. "If only Damien could say no, he wouldn't be here."

This is going to be awkward, especially with Mom and Ray around. I'm a bit lucky Dad is spared from knowing anything about Damien and me.

Wait a minute.

There's nothing between us except a profound abhorrence for each other. I just told Mom I happen to be acquainted with this man, and here she goes running her mind with outrageous theories.

"Then do the honor of gracefully kicking him out!"

"I'm not gonna do that! He's the mayor's son, and he's not done you wrong." Of course, Damien will act goody-goody in front of my parents. He will never pull pranks on me in my territory.

"Hey, you two!" Dad calls. "Are we not going to dig into these?"

Mom holds my hand and heaves me to the dining table. This is supposed to be a family celebration, a meal with the people who matters to me. It's my birthday! With Damien around, it's not going to be fun.

"What a lovely birthday present, Angel!" Ray teases right on top of my ears as we sit side-by-side. Mom and Dad were at the head of the table, with Ray beside me, and Damien sitting next to Mom.

"It's really awful that you don't get to taste my muffins, Mrs. Mohr," Ray says melodramatically.

"I'm sure it would've tasted great. I'm sorry for the oven."

"No biggie, Mrs. M!"

I abhor the sight of Ray blushing every time he raises his eyes to meet Damien's. He is clearly flirting, but I'm not against it. It's quite a good diversion so Mom won't start with me again. If I didn't know better, I'd think Ray is doing it for me, but I know he's simply letting go of his suppressed hormones.

There are baked macaroni, coleslaw salad, Italian pasta, and toasted French bread on the table. It isn't a grand meal but a hearty one. Regardless of how Damien's presence ruined everything for me, the essence of this event remains. Dad's healthy once again, his future with a new kidney is looking good, and the hospital bills are paid — thanks to Hunter's generous paycheck. What's more, Mom's not gloomy and downtrodden anymore. One thing's left. I have yet to spill the unfortunate truth.

"Sweetie," Dad says. "You haven't told me about your graduation day. When is it?"

Ray shoots me a glare, and I notice Damien freezing in place.

"Er—" I honestly don't know what to say. My fingers tremble. If this continues, I fear I'd drop my fork, and Mom and Dad would notice my distress.

"It would be next week," Damien answers for me.

Everybody turns to him.

"Next week is going to be very busy for all of us," Ray adds. "Rehearsals here and there. Angel here, of course, might do some speech drafting."

"Oh, my God!" Mom exclaims and her eyes start to form tears. "We're so proud of you, dear!"

Dad looks like he is fighting off tears, and I can see his chest getting bigger as he keeps the air of excitement and pride inside him.

No. Not another lie again. I'm doomed.

Ray and Damien. Why did they even do this to me? Ray of all people.

After the superb meal, Ray walks to me in the sink. I have been giving him cold shoulders since the moment he opened his mouth about the graduation rites.

"Don't do this to me," he says, our elbows rubbing together. I make sure there's no gap between us so nobody hears what we are talking about.

"I can't believe you're turning your back on me," I reply, and start running the faucet. Ray picks up the plate after wearing gloves and proceeds to wipe each plate with a sponge.

"I'm on your side, Angel," he whispers.

"You obviously jumped into his wagon!" I turn on my shoulder to check on what Etheridge is doing with my parents. He's probably telling lies over and over again. What could it be this time? "You're making this difficult for me."

"I was actually helping you."

"Oh, my God, you weren't!"

"Okay, I was wrong that I forgot that you hate surprises. But believe me, I meant no harm to you, Angel."

I sigh.

I can forgive Ray. However, I don't know what I'd do when the time to tell the truth to Mom and Dad comes. But today isn't the proper time to tell them about it. I just couldn't ruin their momentary joy, not in front of the devil. He'd perhaps be happy to see me drown in my own act. But why lie? Why make the web of lies even more difficult to untangle for me?

This is classic Damien act. He wouldn't stop unless he sees me begging for his mercy.

"Angel?" Mom's voice pulls me back to reality.

I briefly turn my attention to the living room which is just a few walks from the kitchen and dining room. There I see Mom, Dad, and Damien standing with all satisfied smiles on their faces.

That jerk!

Mom tilts her head and smiles. "Our guest is leaving. It's time to say goodbye."

Damien seems nervous. He couldn't even meet my furious glare. Right! He should know he's barking at the wrong tree.

"Angel?" Mom calls again. Dad raises his eyebrow in confusion.

But I'm not in the mood for pretending. How can I be such a good liar when in fact I can't even fake a genuine goodbye?

I roll my eyes at him and turn to face the sink once more. Ray nudges me on the elbow, probably saying how cruel of me.

Once the house is cleared, Mom goes to her room to change clothes. Dad, on the other hand, opens the back door only to find me lying on the lawn in our small backyard. For once, I want to feel the warmth of the sun, the breeze of the summer wind, the freshness of the green grasses, and anything natural. For days, the gloomy ambiance of the hospital nearly dried my face. He lies beside me.

"Happy birthday, darling." He leans over to kiss me on the forehead. "And congratulations!"

My conscience is starting to kill me again. Should I say it now?

"I notice how you were so cold with Damien," he starts, cutting me off my plan of telling the whole truth. "Is there something I must know?"

"We just don't get along," I respond.

"So I was right in the beginning to presume you weren't strangers."

"Did Mom tell you?"

"No, did Sarah know before I did?" His forehead wrinkles.

"Maybe."

Dad takes away his eyes from me and slightly raises his hand to shade his eyes from the bright sun.

"So what's the real deal between you two?" he asks.

"Nothing. We just harbor mutual feelings for each other."

"It's the opposite, right?"

I smirk. It would be very funny to hear Dad say things like Mom. And I wouldn't feed him improbable details.

"Damien seems to be the kind of guy people will like easily," says he.

Well, not me.

"I'm not going to lie about that, Dad. He won't be Student Council President if people dislike him," I answer.

"But you are an exemption!"

"He can't please everyone." That's a universal fact.

Dad gives off a sly smile, which reminds me of Mom's teasing expression in the hospital cafeteria. "Sometimes, sweetheart, I thought I might spare some time teaching you how to lie."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 56.2K 54
[COMPLETE] Soz this may be cringe, it was written very long ago A seemingly ordinary, working college girl meets a cool, undeniably sexy boy with m...
4.6M 140K 36
When college student Indie finds out her boyfriend cheated on her, she hooks up with his best frenemy Reece as payback but doesn't expect their one-n...
5.8M 13.8K 27
A night of drinking. A one night stand. An agreement. All things which two sworn enemies should never do together, and yet neither can get enough. **...
1.6M 63.5K 91
"Anyone touches you, they die." ___ For four years, Daria Ryan has been living in the aftermath of an incident that changed her life for the worse. N...