She's My Queen

By DustyPinkSkies

After a car crash, Natalie Reeds is thrown back in time to the 17th century where she wakes up as a princess... More

Chapter 1: The Accident
Chapter 2: Where Am I?
Chapter 3: To England
Chapter 4: Begin
Chapter 5: Baths And Things
Chapter 6: The Kiss
Chapter 7: Arrival
Chapter 8: Alexander
Chapter 9: I Can't Marry You
Chapter 10: Fate
Chapter 11: Can I Love You
Chapter 12: Death Day
Chapter 14: Stay With Me
Chapter 15: As Night Falls
Chapter 16: More Lies
Chapter 17: Sorry
Chapter 18: Tears
Chapter 19: The Big Day
Chapter 20: Revelations
Chapter 22: Secrets
Chapter 23: Don't Leave Me Again
Chapter 24: Its alright
Chapter 25: Husband And Wife
Chapter 26: Dreams and Dread
Chapter 27: Love Fades
Chapter 28: Trust
Chapter 29: The Point Of No Return
Chapter 30: An old book
Chapter 31: Guilt
Chapter 32: Final
Chapter 33: Home
Epilogue
Author's note

Chapter 13: Reconciled

35.2K 1.3K 192
By DustyPinkSkies

"Sooo, tell me," James smiles as he trots up beside me on his horse, "how did a beautiful princess like you learn to ride so well?"

"I actually lived on a farm when I was a kid, my mom taught me how to ride-oh shit," I mentally slap myself. I'm not me right now!!

"The princess of Scotland lived on a farm?" James frowns, "whatever for?"

"Um...I meant, I visited a farm when I was a kid," I mumble.

"Interesting," James muses. To my relief, he seems to forget about the topic and begins to hum. I stare ahead at Edward, who is still mad at me for choosing to ride on my own instead of with him. As if reading my thoughts, James says, "He's not really mad at you, he just likes you." James winks at me, "and I can see why."

"W-what?" I mumble, startled.

"It's what he does," James sighs, "he can't handle emotions."

"Well, he's doing a pretty great job of hating me."

James is silent for a moment, as if deep in thought. Suddenly, he says, "You know what people say about Edward?" I shake my head. He starts counting off his fingers, "cold, heartless, emotionless, lunatic, self absorbed, asshole. There's more. Oh and trust me, there are worse."

"Are you sure you're his friend?"

James laughs. "What I am sure of is that I'm his only friend."

Hearing our laughter, Edward glances back at us. "Be quiet, the two of you," he says darkly.

"Someone's jealous," James chuckles.

"Whatever," Edward mutters as he turns back around.

"See? I told you," James whispers, "he's an ass."

I giggle.

"But anyways," James continues with his voice lowered, "what I'm trying to say is that he's different around you."

I sigh. "That's not how it feels to me."

"As his best friend, I can assure you that I've never seen him so hot and bothered."

"Okay..."

"You're the first girl he has talked to me about."

I almost fall off my horse. "What? What did he say?"

James winks, "it's a secret...but he's definitely attracted to you."

Feeling a blush creep up my cheeks, I quickly tell myself to stop acting like a silly teen girl. I'm here to save a life. Whether Edward likes me or not is a trivial matter.

It's not like we'll ever be able to have a real relationship.

I shake my head and take a deep breath before turning to James and whispering, "listen, Edward's in danger. We have to help him."

James doesn't look surprised at all. Calmly, he replies, "I know."

I frown, "how? I'm the only one who knows...Unless..." I gasp, "it's you, isn't it? Are you the one who's trying to kill him?"

"I'm sorry, princess," James apologizes as he pulls a sewing needle out of his coat pocket and jabs it into the side of my horse. I yelp as the horse rears frantically and goes completely berserk.

"What the fuck! You traitor!" I scream when the horse begins to race forward. Faster and faster. Faster and faster. "Damn it! Why won't it slow down?!"

"Catherine!" Edward yells as I whoosh past him, "dig
your heels in!"

The horse gallops even faster. I whimper."Please help me!"

"Hold on tight!" Edward calls, racing after me, "I'm coming! Don't let go!"

I grit my teeth and will myself to calm down. It's alright. I can do this. Just stay calm. I don't need a man to save me. 

I can do this on my own. I just need to remember what mom taught me. Using all my might, I pull firmly on both reigns and push inward with my right leg. With a lengthy neigh, my horse halts.

"You alright?" Edward's voice is worried when he gallops up beside me.

"Oh shit," I whisper, wiping sweat off my brows and brushing a hand through my tangled hair. "That was....exhilarating." I laugh. Edward chuckles along with me. 

"That was impressive," he admits, surveying me from head to toe. "I'm glad you're okay."

I blush. "Thanks."

We stare at each other for a while, both silent. "I'm sorry," he finally blurts out, breaking the awkward tension between us. "If you don't feel anything for me, it's fine. I don't expect anyone to love me, being that I'm the way I am-"

"Edward, what..."

"I want you to know that I really want to marry you. Not just because I-I care for you, but also because you are strong, intelligent and confident. You are a true queen."

I'm not a queen. I'm just...me. I'm not the one he wants.

"I-" a loud cry cuts me off. I grimace. I've totally forgotten about the attack on Edward. Are they coming now?

I peer into the distance and spot a group of guards racing towards us with their swords drawn. Beside me, Edward draws in a sharp breath. "Rebels."

In a split second, Edward's sword is out. "Catherine," he calls without looking back at me, "there's a sword on my left, take it. I trust you'll be able to protect yourself?"

Grabbing the sword from his left belt swiftly, I reply, "I'll be fine."

"Great. Just shout if you need help."

For what feels like hours, Edward fends off the guards alone. I'm on the verge of vomiting as I watch them slink to the ground one by one, covered in bloody gashes and slits.

Like a natural born warrior, Edward tears through them like a hurricane. Soon, he's left kneeling in a pool of blood, victorious. He's battered and drenched in blood, but he's alive.

"Oh my god!" I rush towards him, "are you alright?"

He grins at me. "Never felt more exhilarated."

Rolling my eyes, I say, "Let's not joke about stuff like this." I hand him his sword, "here you go."

His hand hesitates on the hilt. "It's yours now."

"Oh..." I hold the bloody sword awkwardly, not sure what to do with such an object. "Um...thanks."

"I know it's probably not the best present for a lady. But you'll need it for protection. And it's a very precious sword. My father left it for me."

"Edward!" I gasp, "I can't keep something like this."

"Yes, you can," he smiles, "just promise me you'll make good use of it. Starting from today, I'm training you."

———————————-

"Oh no no no," Calchantis shakes his head, "James wasn't trying to hurt Edward."

"Then what?" I ask. I'm sitting on the couch in my room. It's been a few hours after the hunting trip and Edward has left me alone for a meeting. Apparently, we're going to have 'training' later.

"He used you to lead Edward away and it saved his life."

That's when it dawns on me. James was trying to save Edward.

He jabbed me with the needle so that I could lure Edward away. When the guards started attacking, James was the one who killed most of them. We survived because of him. And now he's dead.

"B-but how did he know what was going to happen?"

"That's because he's also from your time."

Im starting to feel a little dizzy. "So...he sacrificed his life for Edward's?"

"I guess so."

"But why?" I shake my head, disoriented. "And why didn't he return to our time?"

"I approached him several times, but he refused to leave."

"So what's going to happen to Edward now?" I whisper, my mind reeling. "If James died in place of Edward, does that mean he's safe now?"

"I don't know," Calchantis's face darkens. "This is what I was warning you about. Now you've altered history, and I have no idea what's going to happen."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

606 55 87
𝓢𝓸𝓶𝓮𝓽𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓼 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓫𝓮𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝔂 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝓻𝓴 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓷 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓾𝓽 𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓸...
137K 5.5K 72
**PREVIOUSLY TITLED ABORTION** Niall Horan AU It's hard enough being pregnant, but it's even more difficult when that very pregnancy was the result o...
384K 11.7K 65
Elizabeth Connor, A former citizen of the village that despise her poor family. She's bright and shy, just like any other girl at her century. She ha...
87.4K 4.2K 52
Have you ever thought that you would go back in time? Especially, 1000 years ago? Have you ever thought you would fall in love with a person there? ...