A Hustler's Wife (BOOK 3)

By RavenBryanna

I've always been known as being the only daughter of the most notorious drug dealer of the north and south, e... More

Chapter Two -- Private After Party
Chapter Three -- Say it Like You Mean it
Chapter Four -- Daddy and His Apple
Chapter Five -- The Black Bird
Chapter Six -- Hurtful Thunder Storm
Chapter Six -- Nothing to Lose
Chapter Seven -- Wanted
Chapter Eight -- A Way Out
Chapter Nine -- Jamaica, Land We Love
Chapter Ten -- Tour With The Rude Boy
Chapter Eleven -- Mark My Words
Chapter Twelve -- Momma Celeste
Chapter Thirteen -- ♥ PEACE :)
Chapter Fourteen -- Tattle Tale
Chapter Fifteen -- Two Hours
Chapter Sixteen -- Wrong and Right
Chapter Seventeen -- Ordinary People
Chapter Eighteen -- GAME OVER

Chapter One -- Older & Wiser

166K 1.2K 129
By RavenBryanna

Chapter One -- Older & Wiser

"Where are you taking me?" I reached up to my face to peek out of the black blind fold tied over my eyes minutes ago, but my hand was slapped away making me gasp.

"No peeking," Ethic told me.

I giggled. "C'mon, what is it?"

I knew I had asked this question five times, even though it never was answered.

"A surprise, Kaila," he said sarcastically.

I thought to myself, 'No shit', then loudly exhaled. I hate not knowing what's going on.

Ethic stopped leading me, letting my hand go. I came to a complete stop and reached my hand out only to feel the empty space of air.

"Ethic! Where the hell did you go?"

I stretched my hand out again, expecting to grab his hand or his body, but came up with nothing. I panicked a little bit. What if I took a step and I drop off a cliff or some shit? That would be tragic.

Why isn't he answering me! I frowned my face before snatching the black scarf from around my head.

"SURPRISE!"

My frown instantly turned into a smile. A genuine one.

About ninety pair eyes starred at me. Wine glasses raised and bright smiles filled the room.

"Happy Birthday!" they all said in union.

Gold and black balloons floated in the air. The popular DJ, DJ Kony had the room vibrating with the latest Hip-Hop hits. I quickly scanned the faces, looking for one particular one. When I didn't see him, my mood faded a little. Daddy could've at least said happy birthday this year.

I began to walk in the crowd, giving out hugs and a handful of cheek kisses. Compliment after compliment drowned me about how beautiful I am. About how beautiful my dress is, my hair, my shoes. Half of the people here, I know through somebody else.

They barely know me. I barely know them. But love was given both ways.

As I was making my way over to the bar, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Red, a good friend of mine, dressed in a figure hugging violet, bandage dress. Her natural, long, brown mane was escalating down her back in spiral curls. I smiled before reaching out to embrace her in a hug.

"Hey, Kaila. You looking good, girl! You know you gon' have to let me borrow those shoes, right?"

I looked down at the Christian Louboutin red bottom, open toe pumps, that complimented my peach colored toe nails. I admit, they're cute, but Red don't return borrowed items. She keeps it under lock and key. I'll never see these got-damn shoes again.

"So, you having fun?" I tried to throw her off. The music was so loud, we had to almost yell our conversation.

Red rolled her dark brown eyes. "Bitch, don't be changing the subject on me! I'll buy my own shoes. Shit." She laughed. "How does it feel to be twenty-four?"

I shrugged while getting the bartender's attention. "Feels the same," I told her honestly.

"Hey, Kaila. What would you like?" the middle aged bartender with curly hair and a muscled body asked.

"Vodka and Cranberry," I told him.

He smiled, deep dimples showing. "'A'ight."

As soon as he walked away, Red nudged my arm so hard if I would've had my drink it would've spilled all over the bar.

"Girrrrrrllll, he's so fine. Did you see how he smiled at you?"

I rolled my eyes to the ceiling. "The man just smiled, Red. He smiles at everybody. He's a bartender! Damn, stop being so thirsty."

She took a sip from her drink before turning her back to the bar. "Oh, shut the fuck up, Kaila."

I turned around too, giggling. I spotted Ethic talking to some of his boys, laughing and drinking.

Vegas, one of Ethic's friends was in the small huddle too.

Everybody seemed to be carefree except him. I noticed his eyes kept switching this way repeatably. What the hell is he looking at? I looked behind me, then around,then I looked next to me, landing my eyes on Red.

"Vodka with Cranberry Juice," the bartender said behind me. I turned around and grabbed the glass.

"Thanks," I told him with a smile.

He licked his full lips before winking, "my pleasure, Birthday Girl."

I threw another smile at him before turning around. Red was looking at me. "What?" I asked innocently, even though I knew what she was thinking.

"Told you."

I grinned and shook my head. She thinks she's right about everything and half of the time she is. I would never admit that to her though.

I looked back across the room at Vegas, who kept playing his eye game. Poor baby. I nudged Red's elbow with mine.

"Girl, Vegas can not keep his eyes off of you," I informed her.

Red sipped her drink, waving her hand dismissively. "Ain't nobody thinkin' 'bout his ugly-ass."

"Red! Vegas is a nice guy, though. He's been trying to get at you for years."

Red shrugged her shoulders. "Let him keep trying."

Before I could respond, I noticed a pretty white girl with long, blond hair walking over to us. I noticed Red put her drink down for the first time and cleared her throat.

When the girl approached, Red spoke up. "Kaila, this is my friend Celeste. Celeste, this is Kaila."

I smiled warmly, giving Celeste a quick wave. "Nice to meet you," I told her politely before taking a sip from my alcoholic beverage.

"No, nice to meet you! I've heard so much about you! Happy Birthday," she said, full of excitment.

My lips widen with a smile as I thanked her for coming.

She looked a bit shocked. "I wouldn't miss your party for the world, girl! You must feel very lucky to have a man like Ethic."

I raised my arched eyebrows. How'd she know my man's name? She must have noticed my expression cause she threw her hands up in surrender.

"Oh, nothing like that. Everybody knows Ethic, right Red?"

Red through her head back, tossing the rest of her Cîroc down her throat. When she lifted her head she yelled out, "Gimme another motherfucking drank bartender!" She slammed her glass against the marble counter of the bar, totally ignoring Celeste.

"Oh, it's fine," I told Celeste. "Ethic is well known around here. No big deal." I shrugged as I stood up.

She smiled. "Well, maybe we could hang out sometimes. You know, girl spa's, play dates--"

"Play dates?" I interrupted.

She shrugged, flipping her locks over her shoulder. "Yeah... I have a daughter around your son's age. Maybe they could play together sometimes."

"What's her name?" I sipped my drink.

"Megan"

I nodded. "Cute name. I usually don't do this, but since you're Red's friend I'll make an exception."

I put her number in my iPhone and she put mine in her's. We exchanged awkward hugs before I left Red to her new glass of Cîroc and Celeste to my seat.

I began walking in the crowd again, making my way over to Ethic. I was almost there until Octavia, my step mom, stopped me with a wave of her hand. I blew out a sigh before walking my Christian Louboutins over to her.

"Hi, Octavia," I greeted her with a smile.

She hugged me. "Happy Birthday, baby doll."

"Thanks, Octavia. I'm surprised Daddy let you come party wit' us young folk," I toyed with her.

She playfully pushed my shoulder, laughing loudly. "I'm still young too. He's the old man. Your father may run the streets but this..." -- she ran her manicured fingers up and down her body-- "all this! I RUN!"

I smiled and shook my head. "Octavia, you are something else."

She shrugged then took a sip from her wine glass. "I'm just keeping it real. He should've been here with me, but you know how damn stubborn your daddy is. After all these years, I just don't understand him at times"

"Neither do I." I looked away, suddenly feeling guilt wash over me. Its been close to ten years, and I still couldn't shake that feeling.

Suddenly, I felt soft lips pressed against my neck then strong arms wrap around me. I smiled. As soon as I'm feeling down my baby picks me up again. He's my Superman.

"Hey, baby. Having fun?" Ethic said in my ear.

I nodded, my eyes falling back on Octavia.

"Well, I'll leave you to love birds alone. Have fun, Kaila," she said before walking away.

I turned my body in Ethic's arms to face him. "Thank you, Ethic. This was totally unexpected," I told him while putting both of my hands around his neck while he held on firmly to my waist. He bent down a little to kiss my lips softly.

"You don't have to thank me. You deserve it, ma. I love you."

I smiled so hard, my cheeks started to feel numb. "I love you too, Ethic."

He moved his hand to my chin, looking me deep in my eyes. He asked, "How much?"

I dropped my hands to my side. "What?"

"I said, how much do you love me?" he repeated.

I looked into his dark eyes, seeing my whole future in them. Without him, I couldn't eat, breathe, sleep, think. I can't live without him.

I spread my arms wide. "This much," I said playfully.

Ethic's serious glare softened. "You think you cute, huh?"

Before I could say my sarcastic comeback, one of the men Ethic was laughing with came over and gave him

Continue Reading