Feyland: The Dark Realm

By AntheaSharp

~Award-winning YA Urban Fantasy~ Computers. Faeries. A hero from the wrong side of the tracks, and the girl... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
The Ballad of Tam Lin
Afterword & Copyright
Acknowledgements

Chapter Thirty-Six

17.7K 372 8
By AntheaSharp

“No!” Jennet ripped the sim helmet off and lunged over to the other chair.

Tam lay there, still and pale. She put a hand to his cheek. His skin felt clammy, and he was barely breathing. Panic roared through her like fire, red flames nearly choking her, blinding her.

“Help!” she cried, running to the door and throwing it open. “HANA - Call an ambulance. Quick!”

“A medical team has just arrived.” The cool mechanical tones sounded through the room. “They will be with you immediately.”

Already? Jennet blinked. Before she could sort it out, two women in white medical gear rushed into the room.

“Miss Carter?” The taller one took her arm. “Let’s get you on a stretcher and down to the ambulance. We can—”

“What?” Jennet yanked her arm free. “It’s not me, it’s Tam. Over here. Help him!” She hurried to the sim chair where Tam was sprawled, unmoving.

The med techs exchanged a confused look, and then the first one joined Jennet. She took one look at Tam and sucked in her breath.

“Willis,” she said, “we need the full team up here. Stat!”

The second woman pulled out her cell, but HANA spoke first. “I have already alerted the crew.”

“Good.” The tech gave Jennet a sharp look. “Move away, please. We need to get him on the floor and start CPR. Willis!”

Jennet edged back as the other med tech hurried up. A minute later there was a flurry of white-uniformed activity in the room. She couldn’t even see Tam any more, just hear some equipment beeping and the techs throwing around terms she didn’t understand. At least Tam was still breathing. He had to be.

“Miss? Are you all right?” George set a hand on her shoulder. She hadn’t seen him arrive, but she was glad he was there.

The rough sympathy in his voice was too much. Tears burst out of her, and she wrapped her arms around her stomach, trying to keep from falling completely apart.

She had failed. Failed and failed and now Tam… Oh god, what was going to happen? What was she going to do?

George patted her back. “I’ve called your father. He’s on his way, and so is a heli from the hospital. We’ll get Mr. Linn the best possible care.” He gave her a curious look. “But you’re feeling well, yourself?”

Jennet took a deep, ragged breath. “Yes. I’m ok.”

She was surprised to find it was true. Tam had succeeded in that. Her soul was restored, while he…

The tears threatened to swamp her again. She had to hold it together and tell Dad what was going on. He would know what to do - he’d helped build the game, after all.

She wanted to go over and hold Tam’s hand, brush the hair out of his eyes, but the techs were busy putting him on a stretcher. They carried him out the door. Jennet followed, feeling useless.

The daylight outside came as a shock. The way she felt, she expected it to be night. Expected the whole world to be dark. It wasn’t right that the sun was shining while Tam could be… She couldn’t even think the word.

Biting her lip, hard, she slipped forward until she could see him lying on the stretcher. There was an oxygen mask over his face, tubes hooked into his arms. His body was there. But his soul, his self, was not.

Was he sitting beside the Dark Queen in her court? Was Thomas offering advice and solace? Had Tam already forgotten about his life in the mortal world?

A sob choked her. Oh, Tam. It was all her fault.

A whooshing sound made her look up, to see that the med evac was starting to descend. Luckily the streets of the View were wide. Jennet edged over to the tall woman, who seemed to be in charge.

“Excuse me,” she said.

“Yes?” The tech looked at her with impatient sympathy.

“Can I go with him? In the evac?”

“Are you an immediate family member?”

“Um.” For a wild moment she wanted to claim she was. But they’d find out it was a lie soon enough. “No. I’m not.”

The tech shook her head. “Sorry.” She glanced around. “Are there any family members here?”

“No.”

“You’re a friend?” When Jennet nodded, the tech thrust a tablet at her. “Someone has to fill this out. If you don’t know all the answers, do the best you can.”

Of course - they needed to know who they were taking away. Pressing her lips together hard, Jennet filled out what she knew about Tam. There were a lot of blank spaces when she was finished. She didn’t even know how to contact his mom, or what her first name was, or their address. But she knew how to get there.

Would George take her into the Exe? She wished Dad were home. There were too many things falling on her, all at once. She could barely stand up under the weight.

“Here.” She handed the tablet back to the tech.

The woman hardly looked at it. “We’re taking him to Central Hospital.”

“Central? But that’s not nearby.”

“He needs more than the local facilities can provide.” She lifted her head and called out, “Willis? We ready to go?”

The other tech waved an affirmative.

“But…” Jennet couldn’t help the shaking in her voice, couldn’t help the fear that grabbed her by the back of the neck and wouldn’t let go.

“He’ll be ok. We’ve got him on life support now.” The tech gave her a brusque pat on the arm, and then clambered into the evac.

Moments later the machine shot straight up. Jennet squinted until she couldn’t see it against the clouds any longer. Still she kept her face tilted to the sky, to keep the tears from spilling down her cheeks.

“Miss Jennet, please come into the house.” It was George, his voice soft as he took her arm. “Your father should be here soon. We can wait for him inside.”

She moved numbly as he guided her back into the house and settled her in the downstairs living room. Marie was waiting, with a blanket and cup of hot tea. Not that anything could make Jennet feel warm. Still, she took a sip. It gave her something to do with her hands, her body, while her mind bashed against what had just happened like some kind of frantic animal inside a cage.

“George,” she finally said. “We need to let Tam’s family know what’s happened. Would you take me—”

“No, miss.”

“But, you don’t know where—”

“You need to remain here until your father arrives.” George got to his feet. “And of course I know where to go. I have driven Mr. Linn home, if you recall.”

“Oh. Right.” She had forgotten.

“I’ll bring his family to Central Hospital. To be clear, Miss Carter, do you know how many people I will be fetching?”

“Just his mom and little brother. I’m pretty sure.” That little apartment over the garage couldn’t hold more than the three of them, could it? Tam had never mentioned anyone else.

“Very good.” The driver paused for a moment and set his hand on her shoulder. “Tell your father everything that has happened. Everything.”

She glanced up, startled. How much did George know? “I will.”

“Good. Lars can drive you and your father to the hospital when you are ready. I will put myself at the Linn family’s disposal. I am certain your father would instruct me to do so.”

“Yes.”

George was right about that. Something terrible had happened to Tam here, at their house.  Dad would take full responsibility. That was one thing she could always trust about Dad. He was as dependable as granite.

No matter how mad he got when he found out what had happened, he would take care of Tam’s family. The fear holding her neck picked her up and gave her a little shake, then set her back down.

George gave Marie a long look. “Take care of her.”

“Of course.” The housekeeper sniffed, as if she didn’t need the chauffeur telling her how to do her job.

It was quiet after George left, a heavy silence that muffled everything. Jennet felt as if she was lost in the middle of a blizzard. Everything was white and cold, and she had no sense of direction.

Then the front door slammed open and Dad rushed inside. He didn’t bother taking off his coat, but went right to Jennet and took her hands. His eyes were worried.

“I got an emergency notification from HANA,” he said, “and a confusing call from George. Something about your friend, Tam, and an ambulance. But you’re all right?”

She nodded, and his expression eased.

“Good. Jennet - what happened?”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote for it.  :)

The complete, published version of Feyland: The Dark Realm is available in ebook (only 2.99) and print (12.99) at Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, iTunes, and other retailers. Or buy the complete trilogy in one epic digital bundle for only $8.99. Three full books, one awesome adventure~ http://www.amazon.com/Feyland-The-Complete-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00B73TD9I/

Visit antheasharp.com, and head to http://www.tinyletter.com/AntheaSharp to sign up on my mailing list for info about new releases and bonus material! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 479 27
2019 MERIDIAN WRITES AWARD WINNER - RoseGold Awards Runner-Up - Galaxy Book Contest Third Place Fantasy - Cassie has never believed in magic. Whatev...
125K 8.3K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
728 128 37
14 in fairytaleretelling 10/23/22 Princess Luna of Yaquir angered the wrong person. Now she's doomed to be a beast, as ugly on the outside as she is...
84.7K 760 10
[Watty's Shortlist & WATTPAD PICKS -- Up and Coming List 06.07.2018] Now Available on Amazon!!! His hands moved down to cradle her neck. "I only hav...