The Avatar's kindred Spirit {...

By I-swear-Im-innocent

"He walked into my heart like he always belonged there, took down my walls, And lit my soul on fire." ... More

Prologue; part 1
Prologue: part 2
Chapter 1; The boy in the Iceberg
Chapter 2; The Avatar Returns
Chapter 4; The Hopping Llamas
Chapter 5; Riding Hog Monkeys
Chapter 6; The Warriors of Kyoshi
Chapter 7; The King of Omashu
Chapter 8: Imprisoned pt 1
Chapter 8: Imprisoned pt 2
Chapter 9: Winter Solstice; The Spirit World pt 1
Chapter 9: Winter Solstice; The Spirit World pt 2
Chapter 9: Winter Solstice; Avatar Roku
Chapter 10: The Water Bending Scroll
Chapter 11: Jet
Chapter 12: The Great Divide
Chapter 13: The Storm
Chapter 14: The Blue Spirit
Chapter 15: The Fortune Teller
Chapter 16: Bato of the Water Tribe
Chapter 17: The Deserter
Chapter 18: The Northern Air Temple
Chapter 19: The Waterbender Master
Chapter 20: The Siege of the North, Part 1
Chapter 20: The Siege of the North, Part 2
Chapter 20: Siege of the North, part 3

Chapter 3; The Southern Air Temple

12.7K 325 255
By I-swear-Im-innocent

(Y/N)'s POV

"Wait 'till you see it, (Y/N)! The air temple is one of the most beautiful places in the world!" Aang told me as he and Katara tied everything onto Appa's saddle.

Katara looked to me before saying, "Aang, I know you're excited but it's been a hundred years since you've been home."

"I know. That why I'm excited!"

Katara and I look at each other before I start off. "It's just... a lot can change in all that time."

My eyes met his before he said, "I know, but I need to see for myself." He smiled slightly at me before jumping off Appa and attempted to wake up Sokka.

After his failed attempts, I walk over a whispered in his ear. Aang smiled deviously. He grabbed a twig and traced a random pattern over Sokka's sleeping bag while I yelled "Sokka! Wake up! There is a Prickle Snake in your sleeping bag!"

Sokka jumped up off the ground and screamed while we laughed, Sokka glared at us as we tried to stifle our giggles.

~~

Sokka was complaining about how Aang had accidentally used his blubbered seal jerky as fire wood last night. A large temple came into view and Aang exclaimed, "Their it is. The Southern Air Temple!"

"Aang, it's amazing!" Katara said while I looked at the Temple with an awed expression. Once Appa landed, we trekked up the paths. Aang and I were running, while Katara and Sokka walked. When they caught up to us, Aang started to explain the features of the Temple.

"So that's where my friends and I would play Airball," Aang points to a section below the small over hang we are currently standing on. The section he points to looks like a small field of sorts. The ground is stone, but had many wooden posts, two of which have a square goal on top. "And over there is where the Bison would sleep, and..." He sighs slightly.

"What's wrong?" Katara asks.

"This place used to be full of Monks and Lemurs and Bison. Now there is just a bunch of weeds." Aang lowers his eyes to the ground. "I can't believe how much things have changed." I place my hand on Aang's shoulder.

"So uhh... How do you play this Airball game. How do you play?"

Aang did a few cool tricks with the ball before he kicked it to Sokka's goal. Sokka and the ball both go flying through he goal, leaving Aang with seven points and Sokka zero.

Sokka landed near Katara. He said something that I couldn't hear, as I was standing on Aang's side of the field.

I giggled slightly and clapped my hands together as I approached Aang. "Congrats." I said.

Aang laughed and replied with, "Thanks." I smiled slightly at his pink tinged cheeks.

"So... did you play Airball often with your friends?" Aang shook his head and sighed.

"I used to," He sighed again. "One of the reasons that I didn't want to be the Avatar was because everything changed when I became it. I wasn't allowed to play with the other children because they didn't think it would be fair, and the Monks didn't want me to have fun and play games, all they wanted me to do was train."

I gave him a reassuring smile. "Well, I'll play games with you when ever you want. I pinky promise." I held out my pinky and he smiled lightly. His pinky attached onto mine.

Our moment was interrupted by Katara. She called us over, and we came running. Aang had picked up the Airball ball and was doing more tricks.

When Aang and I reached her, Aang asked "What is it?"

And Katara had replied with, "Uhh... just a new water bending move I learned." I narrowed my eyes at that. Once she learns a new trick, she teaches it to me before showing anyone else.

"Nice one, but enough practicing. We have a whole temple to see!" Aang walks away with me.

~During the tour~

"And this is the Library! This is where I would study air bending techniques before I mastered them." Aang said. "Feel free to look around."

The library is large, with wide windows without glass, letting lots of air in. There were even bookshelves near the ceiling, far higher than I can reach. Aang and I walk into a random section, while Katara and Sokka walk around random sections.

Aang and I turn the corner, and I eye a small scorch mark on the ground. "Hey, (Y/N), look at this." Aang motions me over.

I look down at what he's holding. It's an air bending scroll, with four different moves on it. I gently take the scroll from his hands, and inspect the images.

"It's the first scroll that I learned from," Aang admitted.

I pointed to the first move and ask, "Could you do this one for me? I want to see what it looks like."

"Sure." Aang shrugs, and performs the move. Its pretty simple, just making a gust of wind, but notheless I still stare at him, amazed.

"wait so all you do is this," I perform the move, and to my surprise, a small gust of wind emitted from my hands. I stare at them in shock and then move my eyes to an equally wide-eyed Aang.

"How did I do that? Wait- did you play a prank on me?" Aang shakes his head in response. "Then how did I do that? I'm a water bender, not an air bender!" Aang still stares at me with wide eyes. And then a look of understanding crosses his face, followed by a light blush.

"Come with me." Aang commands. I don't have any time to respond as he grabs my wrist and drags me to a small section at the back of the library. He lets go of my wrist, and grabs a large book that is covered in a thin layer of dust. He blows the dust away and sits crossed legged on the ground and motions for me to do the same. Once I sit next to him, he places the book between us, not giving me the chance to see the title.

He opens the book up to a random page and flips through the book until he finds hat he's looking for.

The page was titled The Avatar and Cytherea's Transfer of Power.

"Once the Avatar and Cytherea have been reunited in one life, they transfer powers. After the Avatar has mastered one element, the Cytherea will be able to bend that element, but not master it. As for the Avatar, what ever element the Cytherea was born to, they would be a natural at."

"Aang, why are you showing this to me?" I ask. "And what's a Cytherea?"

"Not a Cytherea, The Cytherea." Aang starts. I urge him to continue. "The Cytherea is, to put it simply, the soulmate of the Avatar."

"Okay... but that does not answer my first question." I tell him as I turn my body to look at him.

Aang blushes and looks away before mumbling, "I- I think you're the Cytherea."

My mouth opens in shock before a bright blush adorns my face. "Oh- okay...". Aang hand me the book and tells me to keep it, before standing up an giving me a hand up from my position on the floor.

~"After tour" ish~

Aang held onto my hand during the rest of the tour. Not that I minded, his hand is really warm. After Aang had told me and I had gotten over the original shock, it wasn't totally awkward, which is a relief. Of course we haven't talked over everything or really anything, but I'm sure it will work out in the end. At least I hope so.

Aang lets go of my hand and runs up to a statue. I was about to follow when I saw my brother and sister talking in privet. And I, being the curious child that I am, intrude on their conversation.

"Watch' talking about?" I ask them.

They both look at me before Sokka tells me, "I was just tell Katara that she can't protect Aang from the fact that fire benders were here."

"Hey, guys! I want you to meet somebody!" Aang motions to the statue from before. It's an air bender, that much I can tell by the markings on the statue.

"Who's that?" Sokka asks.

"Monk Gyasto. The greatest air bender in the world. He taught me everything I know." Aang says before bowing to the statue.

"You must miss him." Katara says while I place my hand on Aang's shoulder for comfort.

"Yeah." Aang sighs before walking away.

"Where are you going?" Katara asks him. I run up the stairs to meet him.

"The Air Temple Sanctuary," He turns to look at them. "There is someone I'm ready to meet."

~~

"But Aang, nobody could have survived in there for a hundred years." Katara reasons.

"It's not impossible," Aang reasons. "I survived in an iceberg for that long." Aang shrugs.

"Good point." I say.

"(Y/N), Katara, whoever's in there might help me figure out this Avatar thing."

"And whoever's in there might have a medley of delicious cured meats." Sokka rubs his hands together and licks his lips in anticipation before running into the door. He then proceeds to try and move the door, but it doesn't move.

"I don't suppose you have a key," Sokka asks Aang.

"The key Sokka, is air bending." Aang inhales deeply before preforming the move we did in the library. The doors open about 10 second after the move is preformed.

"Hello?" Aang calls. "Anyone home?" Aang walks in, and I follow. The room is dark, with statues of all the previous Avatars going in a circle before finding a way up the walls.

"Statues? Thats it? Wheres the meat?" Sokka asks.

"Who are all these people?" Katara asks.

"I'm not sure. But it feels like I know them some how." Aang explains.

"I think they are all the previous Avatars." I state, looking at the cycle they go in.

"Look! That one's an air bender!" Aang points at one statue.

"And this one's a water bender." Katara points to the statue next to it.

"They're lined up in a pattern! Air, Water, Earth, then Fire." Katara states.

"That's the Avatar cycle." I say while Aang nods in agreement.

"Then (Y/N) was correct. They're Avatar's. All these people are your past lives, Aang." Katara says.

"Wow. There's so many!" Aang and I walk around, going to the last statue.

"Past lives? Katara, (Y/N), you really believe in that stuff?"

"It's true!" I defend. "When the Avatar dies he's reincarnated into the next nation in the cycle." I tell him.

Aang and I look up at the fire bender statue in front of us. Aang takes a moment to look at the statue before Katara shakes him and says, "Aang snap out of it!"

"Huh?" He looks up at the statue again. I don't know who's statue that is, but their is something familiar about him. A name dawns on me. It's not the statues name, but this Avatars Cytherea.

"Who is that?" Katara asks.

"That's Avatar Roku, "Aang answers. "The Avatar before me."

Sokka walks up behind us. "You were a Fire Bender? No wonder I didn't trust when we first met."

"There's no writing. How did you know his name?" Katara asks.

"I'm not sure. I just know it somehow." Aang admits.

"Roku's Cytherea was Alanna, if I'm not mistaken." I say while staring up at the detailed statue.

"What's a cytherea? And how do you know that?" I only shrug in response. Sokka growls to himself in annoyance before saying, "you two just couldn't get any weirder."

It's silent of a moment before we hear a noise and see a shadow approaching the sanctuary. Katara and Sokka hide behind one statue while Aang and I hide behind another.

"Fire bender, nobody make a sound." Sokka whispers.

"You're making a sound!" Katara growls before Aang and I shush her.

A moment passes before Sokka whispers, "That fire bender won't know what hit him."

"Or her!" I whisper-yell at him. He rolls his eyes in response.

Sokka moves half-way out from behind the statue, club raised, but them lacks the grip on it, with the club still raised. When he doesn't move, Aang and I look to see what he is staring at.

"Aww!" I coo at the small animal. It's wide green eyes stare back at me, curiously.

"Lemur!" Aang yells, excitedly.

"Dinner." Sokka says, mouth watering. A lot. Kinda disgusting, actually.

"Don't listen to him. You're going to be my new pet."

"Not if I get him first!" Sokka yells before both him and Aang jump out, trying to catch the lemur.

The lemur hisses before running away. Sokka trips and Aang follows the lemur. After a moment hesitation I run after them, leaving Katara to inspect the statues.

After a few minuets of searching, I was lost. But then I heard yelling and followed the sound. When I arrived at the scene I was in shock. Aang's tattoos were glowing, and he was surrounded by a tornado of wind. Katara was yelling comforting words to him, but it did nothing.

"(Y/N)! See if you can calm him down!" Katara yells at me after seeing me. I nod in response. I try getting close, but the wind prevented me from getting closer. I held my hands out in front of me, and apparently controlled the wind enough to let me walk, as I was eventually very close to him, not including how he was in the air surrounded by a ball of air.

"Aang, I know you're upset. I know how hard it is to lose the people you love! I went through the same thing when I lost my mom. Monk Gyasto and the other Airbender's may be gone, but you still have a family. (Y/N), Sokka and I. Were your family now!" Katara yells at him. Aang lowers himself halfway and I take over.

"Aang, just because they are physically gone doesn't mean they are gone from your heart. Those we love don't go away. They never do. They may be unseen and unheard, but they are always near. As long as you keep them in your heart, and as long as you love them, they will always be with you." I tell Aang. He comes all the way down, and stands next to me, arrows still glowing.

"Katara, Sokka and I aren't going to let anything happen to you." I whisper to him.

"We promise." Sokka said.

I grab Aang's hand, and he collapses in my arms. "I'm sorry." He tells us.

"It's okay," I say.

"It wasn't your fault." Katara finishes.

"But you were right," He looks at Katara. "And if fire benders found this temple, then that means they found the other ones too." He sighs and moves his body to hug me back. "I really am the last Airbender..." I hug him tighter.

~~

"Everything packed." Katara says.

"You ready to go?" I ask Aang.

"How is Roku going to help me if I can't talk to him?" Aang asks.

"Maybe you'll find a way" Katara states while I place my hand on his shoulder for reassurance.

Aang, Katara and I turn toward the doors and see the same lemur holding fruits in it's small paws. The lemur hops over to Sokka and places the fruit on floor near his feet. sokka sits down and starts eating with pleased noises.

"Looks like you made a new friend, Sokka." Aang said.

"Can't talk. Must eat." Sokka says while literally stuffing his face. The lemur climbs up onto Aangs shoulder and then to his head.

"Hey little guy." Aang greets the lemur.

~~

"You, me, and Appa. Were all thats left of this place," Aang looks at the lemur. "We have to stick together."

"(Y/N), Katara, Sokka, say hello to the newest member of our family." Aang presents the lemur to us.

"What are you going to name him?" Katara asks. The lemur stares at me curiously and jumps from Aang's shoulder to mine and starts playing with my (h/l) (h/c) hair. After a moment, the lemur jumps from my shoulder to take Sokka's food and stands on Aang's arm.

Aang stares at the lemur for a second and says, "Momo." Then we all start laughing at Sokka's gob-smacked expression from his food being stolen.

As we fly away, Aang sits in the back rather than the front, and stares at the temple with Momo perched near Aang's shoulder. I sit back with Aang and watch as the temple disappears from sight.

A/N: Helloooooo! so, I'm very slow when making chapters and I do apologize for that, but I need to be in a writing mood to feel the need to write. I've recently come out to one of my friends about this story, and while Aang isn't her favorite character, she supports me a lot. So that's why I would just like to thank her. she doesn't have an account on anything, as she doesn't write fan fiction or stories, but anyways, Thank You!

Much love,

I-swear-Im-innocent

(28849 words)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

224K 3.7K 59
𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ π–¬π–Ίπ—‚π—Œπ—‚π–Ύ 𝖦𝗋𝖾𝖾𝗇, 𝖺 𝗐𝖾𝗅𝗅-π—„π—‡π—ˆπ—π—‡ π–Όπ—ˆπ—‡π—π–Ύπ—‡π— π–Όπ—‹π–Ύπ–Ίπ—π—ˆπ—‹ π—‚π—Œ 𝖽𝖾𝗆𝖺𝗇𝖽𝖾𝖿 π—π—ˆ 𝗉𝖺𝗋𝗍𝗇𝖾𝗋 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝖬...
201K 9.9K 53
Ashima has dreamed of space exploration her entire life. Finally embarking on her first mission, her excitement turns to terror when she crash land...
146K 9.4K 43
Elizabeth has been ruling her kingdom for 3 years now. She's gone through countless advisors in those 3 years. When she's finally ready to give up on...