Here's To Us *Damned Coda* Ma...

By Anika_Ann_M

In which Matt finally meets the family, pets Brett, attends a wedding, reveals some of his less dark secrets... More

0,5) Are you coming?
2) The blind one and the deaf ones
3) The sun, the moon, the truth
4) ...is that an eye-seeing dog?
5) A different kind of bravery
6) Revelations
7) Stand by you, stand by me
8) The land of forbidden thoughts
9) Perchance to dream
10) In the shadow of a goodbye
11) By any other name

1) To lead and to be led

1.2K 30 17
By Anika_Ann_M

Significantly later

He was like a cat; fluid movements, silent light steps, elegance and something dangerously hypnotizing. And yes, in that analogy, she was a mouse. And the cat just got bored with their little game, so he sent her to the ground - with yet another move he never bothered to share. How many of these existed? He always surprised her with something new.

Matt pinned her down to the mattress. Vera was too exhausted to fight her way out of it. And judging by the smug smile he wore, he was well aware.

"This is getting really old, you know?" she murmured, trying not to give in to the temptation to kiss his lips when they were so close. It didn't matter how annoyed she was. This worked on her. Every. Single. Time.

He shrugged. "Maybe I just like being on top of you."

Vera snorted and rolled her eyes. "As far as I know..."

Finding the rest of determination to do anything, she jerked and kicked out, rolling them over. She knew he let her. She wouldn't make him move if he didn't. Then again, she didn't try as hard as she could, because she didn't want to hurt him.

"...You like girl on top as well," she finished and his smile grew wider as she brought her lips to his, connecting them in not exactly innocent kiss.

"Truth." He rolled them back over the second their lips parted. "You're getting better."

"Are we talking about fighting or my witty answers?"

"I'm talking about fighting. But the other thing too," he confirmed with a laugh, his eyes twinkling. She loved that sight. Sure, there were many, many sides of him, but happy Matt? Carefree Matt, with special light in his eyes, wrinkles around them as he was smiling widely? Her heart would melt.

"I have a very good teacher for both." It was her turn to shrug and he licked his lips, something in his expression transforming. He hesitated.

"Would you... would you teach me?" he asked carefully, making her raise her eyebrow in surprise. Teach him?

"Teach you what? There is literally nothing I could teach you, Matt. If you're talking about fit-boxing, then you should know you already got the moves." She closed her mouth shut when she realized how that sounded. Well, he did have various kinds of moves. He was pretty much master at all of them. So good.

Matt either didn't catch the unintended joke or he decided to ignore it for whatever more pressing issue he had. Pressing issue. Jeeeez, Veronika, way to go with those double entendre. One would think you're not getting enough. She was getting enough.

"I... I'm talking about... dancing," he whispered, tentative, as if it was the darkest secret. Her eyes went wide, mouth falling agape. Come again? "At the benefit, we were... well, swinging at best. But now when you allowed me to accompany you to a wedding-"

"I didn't allow you to go. I asked you to come with me," she corrected him, trying to cover her awe and he pressed his lips together impatiently. It had to take a lot of his ego to ask her to be his mentor. Of anything. Matt was the prodigy around here, he was better at everything. "Sorry, go on."

"And if you would be willing, I would like to learn at least one dance. One dance in which I would be able to keep up with you. At least a little. Please?"

Something resembling fear was in his eyes, fear of rejection as if he was asking her to let him thrust splints of wood under her fingernails. As if he wasn't making her dreams come true. At this point, she was pretty sure her heart did melt.

Vera freed her hand, cupping his cheek. He leaned to her palm slightly, sensing she was on board with his plan. She kissed him again, playing with his lower lip, other hand interweaving in his hair, pulling him close. She felt like the luckiest woman on Earth.

"The answer is yes in case you didn't get that from-"

He captured her lips again, sucking thirstily and she got an idea which the way their training session was heading from there. His hand travelled down her side, sliding under her ass, freeing one of her legs just to wrap it around his bottom. Now, about the pressing issues...

---

"Okay. You got me ridiculously excited, just fair warning..." was the first thing she told him once he entered the gym the next evening. Her latin shoes were ready by the bench, begging to be put on. He grinned.

"Glad to hear that. Tell me what you want me to do, coach," he demanded dutifully, tossing his bag aside. He already changed into workout clothes. The idea of him dancing in the sweatpants was... weird. Actually, the whole idea of her teaching him dance was, but at the same time, it was appealing. The fact he was willing to learn for her. In the words of a modern teenage girl - she thought her ovaries might explode.

Vera quickly put her shoes on and cleared her throat. "So... I brought some songs, so you can get the basic idea of the styles- wait, do you know the dances? Do you have a particular dance you would like to learn?" She realized she had assumed he was tabula rasa when it came to dancing. Apart from slow dancing, obviously.

He smiled timidly. "No, not really... you have a favourite one?"

That was a shameless reminder of him learning for her. Dammit, Matt. "No, not really."

"You're a terrible liar."

"We'll see what you'll like, okay? I have songs and I thought I would show you bits and pieces and you'll decide. Basically, there are two main branches of ballroom dancing - Latin and Standard. Personally, I think we should go for Latin, 'cause Standard means more... moving around the room. You would have to let me lead a lot or at least make it look like you're letting me, which... hey, whatever. Just watch. Or sense... do your thing."

Vera started with standard ones. Waltz. Foxtrot. Tango, obviously. Quickstep. It was harder to show him with a missing partner who would hold her. But hey, they did lots of exercises when she was in the group. It just took her a while to get back in the settle.

Matt was... attentive. He had this crinkle between his eyebrows, as he was trying to take it all in, head titled to side. The moment she stopped the fourth dance and told him she would switch to Latin, the crinkle disappeared. His lips, slightly pursed in concentration, formed a small smile and he walked to her, kissing her forehead.

"You're beautiful. I'm taking it back. I don't want you to teach me. I just want to watch," he announced lowly, placing a kiss to her hair too.

Vera felt her cheeks flush. "Sorry. I told you I got excited-"

"It's lovely. I mean it. I'm gonna envy everyone who can see you for real."

She shivered at the sweet words. And she hated his face fell a little.

"Well, if you learn too, you'll be the one-" She took his hand, placing it on her shoulder blade, the other raising rather high in standard hold. "-who's gonna have that girl you're gushing about in his arms, so..." she joked and corners of his mouth rose again.

"That's one hell of a motivation," he said, slightly pulling her closer. She took another small step, leaning backwards - and she could immediately feel his palm resisting, taking some of her weight dutifully -, turning her head left and up to make it perfect. Then she straightened, still standing body to body.

"Very well, Mr.Murdock. Then I guess it's time to show you what Latin has to offer."

He nodded with determination, stepping back. Vera put on another song. She started with jive, amused by his surprised expression. Yeah, Latin was a little different. She always liked it better. Jive was the one she liked the worst of them though. The best was yet to come.

She didn't make it half-way through variations of rumba, when hands on her hips stopped her. She jumped, snapping her eyes open; she didn't even realize she almost closed them, letting the soft tones consume her. This was her favourite.

Matt stood right behind her, his body almost on hers, lips appearing on her ear.

"I don't think I want anyone to see that," he hummed lowly, hot breath tickling her skin. She gulped, letting out a shaky exhale, fighting a shiver. How was he so suggestive all the time? Or was it just her being too easy?

"I don't know what you're talking about," she lied for the second time that evening, her hips continuing the motion he interrupted. His firm grip steadied her, not allowing her to move an inch. She didn't bother to hide the smug smile. For once, it was her who got him. It felt freaking amazing.

"You know I keep telling you to get a licence for your mouth?"

"Hm?" Vera turned around, his palms barely loosening the hold, tightening again once she faced him.

"You should get one for those hips too," he explained matter-of-factly and she chuckled, swallowing stupid note about hips that don't lie.

"Should I add it to the list of your motivations? Because once again, you would be the... proud owner or whatever," she offered, kissing the corner of his mouth. He looked a little dazed. She loved that.

"Owner, huh?"

"I admit that I sense hints of domsub in that sentence..." she prodded and he closed his eyes, his fingers squeezing her side, making their hips bump.

"If you pull that during this kind of dance, I swear I'll bend you over in the middle of the dance floor," he hissed dangerously and Vera was shocked by the sudden wave of heat in her abdomen. She wasn't into public sex. Hell, she wasn't even into semi-public sex, but that was hot. She couldn't let out a word.

She had to clear her throat. "Uhm. There are... two more Latin basic dances, so..."

Matt released her very unwillingly and let her perform cha-cha and samba. He did look a little like he was about to bend her over any second. She tried her best to ignore that glare, focusing on the right steps, almost relieved when she finished.

"So that's it. Does the jury need a minute to think about the verdict?" Vera asked cheerfully and saw his expression clearing once more.

"No. You were right, we should do Latin. Even though I can't promise I can do the same moves like you."

"We both know you could handle that. But I don't want you to push it, we're not going to a competition. Plus, when guy overdoes it? So creepy. Then again if you want samba, you'll have to, it's important for doing it right," she warned him. "Which one?"

"Rumba," he answered simply and she froze, her breath hitching. She would breathe for that dance. But it was also the one that made him stop her.

"You said you don't want anyone to see that," she reminded him, throat tight. She wanted to scream yes and thank you, but she tried to silence that very loud voice in her head by kicking it to the corner. Repeatedly. It didn't help.

Matt chuckled, taking few steps closer. "Well, apart from the fact that I would be the proud owner and that's an offer that I cannot reject.... You loved it. I can tell that dancing makes you happy in general, but with this one? Vera, you were shining. The joy was literally radiating in waves," he explained softly, fingers finding her cheek, then running through her hair lightly.

She made a tiny sound of defeat and victory. "That dance is romantic trash for lovesickos."

"You're in love with it."

"Fell in years ago and never found a way out," she admitted, embarrassed. He kissed her forehead.

"Then there is no choice to make," he exclaimed with confidence and Vera was pretty sure her heart just burst.

"Why? Why do you want to me to teach you in the first place? We could be just slow dancing if even, it would be enough. I..."

Why are you trying so hard? Ever since he came back, he was showing affection every possible minute they were together. Even when he was literally buried in work, the moment she came to him, it was like he forgot about it. Vera felt herself falling deeper and deeper in love with him. She wasn't kidding thinking her heart might burst, overfilled with emotions, making her breathing almost impossible, yet so easy. He would fly over ocean with her, leaving his city. What changed? It had been ridiculously facile to fall for him, because of the way he had been. But he was different lately.

Why? "I'm grateful, okay? I'm on cloud number nine. But why are you trying so hard?"

He tensed at her words and she realized she must have just hit a sensitive spot. Her gaze wandered across his face, looking for any clue. There was a shadow of fear in his eyes, she noticed. There was a particular reason for his doing then. Fear. Of what?

She bit her lip, placing her palm on his chest, right over his heart. "Matt?"

He opened his mouth and closed it again, no sound coming out. He was scared. He was ashamed. Again. What the hell? His Adam's apple jumped several times.

"I don't want you to regret it," Matt breathed weakly and Vera had to prick up her ears to hear it. Her mind raced.

"Regret what? Taking you with me? That's-" she started, but the realization struck her before she could finish. Oh. Oh. O freaking H. She couldn't control her jaw as her mouth fell agape. And she knew the moment he realized she figured it out.

"Matt..."

"You're coming home, Vera. All your friends, your family, hell, people speaking your mother tongue. I bet there will be plenty of remembering the good old times, sparkling wine and laugh.... What am I offering? Ever since you came here, you were attacked multiple times, you were shot, you were almost killed, for god's sake, while I was just standing right there. All I have to offer is constant danger, looking over your shoulder, fear, blood and pain. How could you possibly choose this over that?" he fired out one sentence after another, voice urgent, eyes darting across the room, while he paced. Her chest ached at the sight, her ears bled with the words. Her palm felt suddenly cold without the feeling of his beating heart under it.

"There are two sides of each coin, Matt."

"What?" he blurted out, finally stopping in his tracks, turning to her out of habit.

"You're just focusing on one. The good old times, sure. Great friendships, but also with bunch of losers, bullied because of their weight, glasses or book-worming. Mother tongue? My mum was talking to me in English ever since I was four, it's like a second nature to me. And you're forgetting I ran away from there. A little harsh decision, but the reason stands-"

"Vera-" he wanted to interrupt her, but no way, Murdock, I'm talking right now and you shut up and listen.

"Of course I freaking miss them. Jesus, I can wait to hug the shit out of my brother and hide in his freaking bear arms and I'm possibly gonna cry to his shirt, so remind me to use water-resistant mascara. Also, my mum's gonna cry, be ready for that. I'm probably gonna cry at the wedding too. It will be like a freaky cry match," she joked and his face twisted in the strangest grimace. Helplessness. That was rather a new one.

"And really, Matt? Fear, blood and pain? I love you. Did that get lost in translation? Te amo. Do you think I love you for the stuff you mentioned? Surprisingly enough, despite what you apparently think of me - reckless and all that - no. Also, I keep repeating that, but you still don't seem to understand that, so I'm gonna say it again and I'll keep saying that whenever it's necessary; not every single bad thing that ever happened is your fault. And I totally enjoy the way you are since you came back. I think I'm high on happiness, actually. If you don't feel like someone's pulling your teeth out while you're acting like this, please. Don't stop. But I wanted to be with you before that. Do you need me to name all the reasons? You can ask me to name ten and I'll fail-"

And that was definitely pain on his face. Vera bit her tongue at her formulation. That's what happens when you talk faster than think. She followed his track, bordering his face with her hands.

"-because I won't be able to pick just ten of them, okay? I can think of hundred. And that's why I'm with you. And I'm more than willing to take the rest, because it's part of the package. It's part of Matt Murdock and I love Matt Murdock. Do you understand?... Entiendes?" she demanded and his astonished and touched expression transformed into pure shock. His eyes were glassy with tears.

"You started learning Spanish?" he choked out hoarsely, throat apparently too tight to speak. She knew that feeling.

"I do that sometimes when I get bored. I always liked foreign languages. Plus Claire threw in some things during our sessions, I got curious. Besame."

He chuckled, little sound between desperation and awe. "You have very interesting vocabulary."

"It's a work in progress," she hummed and he chuckled once again, drawing her close, hand on the back of her neck, doing as she asked, apparently with no need to be asked twice.

"Perfecta," he whispered to her lips, other hand resting on her waist.

"Took the word right from my mouth, quite literally. ...Except I would say perfecto, right?" He pecked her lips once in agreement. "So... shall we dance?"

---Notes:
I went for International styles in dancing, not the American ones. Sorry notsorry. Also I skipped Paso Doble, because they never ever play it outside competitions, it's a miracle when they play samba, at least in Czechia, so... uhm. Incase you didn't get that yet, I'm a nerd, in various ways. ...I'm sorry?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.7K 419 70
Just what the title says! All one-shots will be x reader. I will only write fluff and angst, no lemon, I don't like sexualizing at all and I'm not co...
623 90 22
Dan agrees to donate sperm to a lesbian couple who are friends of his. Things go wrong, and the baby ends up without a home, and Dan and Phil are lef...
267 11 7
You were a woman who has very few people in your life. You have no real friends and only have your brother and aunt. You don't even have a pet for co...
9.4K 158 133
Matt and Chris (17y/o) are best friends who grow up as close as brothers. As the years pass they struggle to navigate their evolving relationship/fee...