She's My Queen

By DustyPinkSkies

After a car crash, Natalie Reeds is thrown back in time to the 17th century where she wakes up as a princess... More

Chapter 1: The Accident
Chapter 2: Where Am I?
Chapter 3: To England
Chapter 4: Begin
Chapter 5: Baths And Things
Chapter 6: The Kiss
Chapter 7: Arrival
Chapter 8: Alexander
Chapter 9: I Can't Marry You
Chapter 10: Fate
Chapter 11: Can I Love You
Chapter 13: Reconciled
Chapter 14: Stay With Me
Chapter 15: As Night Falls
Chapter 16: More Lies
Chapter 17: Sorry
Chapter 18: Tears
Chapter 19: The Big Day
Chapter 20: Revelations
Chapter 22: Secrets
Chapter 23: Don't Leave Me Again
Chapter 24: Its alright
Chapter 25: Husband And Wife
Chapter 26: Dreams and Dread
Chapter 27: Love Fades
Chapter 28: Trust
Chapter 29: The Point Of No Return
Chapter 30: An old book
Chapter 31: Guilt
Chapter 32: Final
Chapter 33: Home
Epilogue
Author's note

Chapter 12: Death Day

37.8K 1.3K 318
By DustyPinkSkies

I've never had a boyfriend. I tell my friends that it's because I'm too busy being a celebrity and full time student, but the truth is: I've never wanted one. To be honest, I've never been interested in dating. Sure, I had a huge crush on Channing Tatum for some time, but I mean, who didn't? It's silly, but I think I believe in 'true love'...

The thing is, I've never really felt the need for a boyfriend...until now.

I smile as I gaze at Edward's sleeping face. The wonderful memories of his body against mine last night are still fresh in my mind.

I shift in his arms, and he opens his eyes sleepily. "Good morning, beautiful," he whispers, a grin spreading across his handsome face as he strokes my hair.

"Morning," I reply, snuggling closer into his chest. "How did you sleep?"

"Great," he kisses the top of my head, "I didn't have my nightmare last night."

"Really?"I gasp, "that's amazing!"

"It's all thanks to you," he places a kiss on my forehead. "For the first time since my brothers' deaths, I was able to have a peaceful night of sleep."

I press a quick kiss to his lips, "I'm glad."

Edward tightens his arms around me and whispers in my ear, "I'm guessing from last night that you want to marry me now."

I want to say yes. But the words are stuck in my throat. The wonderful haziness I had woken up in has vanished, replaced by the cloud of reality. Tomorrow, he will die. And in three days, I will return to my old life.

"Catherine?" Edward nibbles my ear, "Do you want to marry me?"

I squeeze my eyes shut. What am I doing? I don't have a future with him. For both our sakes, I have to let him go.

"No," I choke out. "I don't."

"Catherine..." Edward frowns, looking confused. "You said you wanted love in your marriage," he cups my cheek in one hand tenderly, "I think we might be able to have that."

I think so too. But I can't tell him that. The only thing I can do before I leave is to try and save his life. And let him go. "I can't, Edward," I look away and lie, "I love someone else."

"Then what was last night?"

One of the best nights of my life. "A mistake."

"Catherine," Edward grabs my shoulders, turning me to face him. "Do you really mean that?"

"Why? Did you enjoy last night that much?"

He answers me without a pause, "Yes."

If only I was the real princess Catherine. If only one of us had been born in a different time. If only he wasn't going to die... then maybe, we would have a chance at something wonderful. But we don't. I blink back tears, "Let me go, please. My heart belongs to another man."

"Is this the kind of girl you are?" He demands, releasing me and getting off the bed. "What are you doing in my bed when you love someone else? Do you just sleep with anyone?"

No! I gave you my virginity! I've never even thought about sex before I met you! I grit my teeth and force out the words, "Yes, Edward. That's the kind of girl I am."

"Very well," Edward's face turns cold, matching his icy tone, "Our wedding is still on, but it will be purely political. You've just ruined any chance we had at love. Now get out of my room."

"I'm sorry, Edwar-"

"Save your apologies. And please don't show up in front of me until the wedding. I don't want to see you."

"I-"

"Get. Out. Now."

————————————-

"Natalie? Can I come in?"

I look up from my bed to see Calchantis standing in my doorway. "Come on in," I say, "I was just about to go looking for you. Where've you been?"

"Are you seriously asking me that?" he exclaims as he slams the door and strides over to my bed.

He glares down at me as I cross my arms. "Calchantis. What's wrong?"

"I know what you did last night," he replies, looking kind of...jealous? "You shouldn't have."

I roll my eyes, a little annoyed. "Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do. I'm a grown woman."

"Fine," Calchantis snaps. "Just stay away from Edward."

"Oh you don't have to worry about that," I reply glumly, "he told me never to show up in front of him again."

Calchantis sits down next to me and squeezes my right hand. "It's for the best." I shrug, unconvinced. "Listen," he says gently, "I want you to come away with me tomorrow."

"To where?"

"Out of the palace, somewhere fun."

"Oh, Calchantis," I plop back down on my bed, yawning, "thanks...but I don't really feel like going out. I just wanna stay in."

"No, you need to go out for some fresh air," Calchantis insists.

I frown at him. "What's going on? Is there something you're not telling me?"

He keeps his expression neutral. "No."

"It's about Edward, isn't it?"

"Natalie," Calchantis sighs, "I'm worried that you're getting too attached to him."

"I just, I just can't watch innocent people die when I know I can help."

"But you can't help!"

"Do you want me away at some secluded place tomorrow so I can't stop Edward's death?"

Calchantis sighs and buries his face in his hands. "I have to stop you from messing up everything."

"How is keeping Edward alive going to mess things up?"

Calchantis suddenly reaches out and strokes my cheek. I pull away, startled. "Natalie, just trust me. You don't want to mess with fate."

"I don't care," I set my jaw, "I just want to know if it's possible to save him."

Calchantis groans, "why can't you understand? It's his fate."

"Please!" I beg, my voice cracking, "there must be something!"

"I have to go," Calchantis shakes me off and strides out the door with me following close behind.

"Calchantis!" I call after him, "please just tell me anything you know! I have to at least try!" Watching Calchantis walk away, I feel my heart sink. Is there really no hope?

Turning around, I bump headfirst into the last person I want to see...or the first person I want to see. I stare up into his handsome face. My breath hitches. He looks like a marble statue. Cold, hard, unreal. 

Yet, I feel so warm at the sight of him. 

Resisting the urge to throw myself into his arms, I clear my throat awkwardly. "Hh-hi...Edward?" I mumble, feeling my cheeks heat up.

Edward smirks, "So your mysterious lover is Calchantis?"

"No," I step back from him, smoothing down my hair, a little flustered. "We're just friends."

"So what is it that you love about him? His lies about the future? I hear all the ladies at court are smitten with his green eyes. Oh, right. I heard he's a beast in bed. Is that what you prefer?"

"Edward, stop," I say quietly, "there's nothing between Calchantis and me."

"Oh please," he scoffs, "I saw him coming out of your room."

I sigh. "Edward, I don't want to argue with you. I just want to tell you something."

"What?"

"You can't leave the palace tomorrow. You'll get hurt if you do."

"Not that this is any of your business, but I am leaving on a hunting trip tomorrow," he turns around. "I have to go now. Please don't show up in front of me again."

———————

"I thought I told you not to show up in front of me?" Edward glares at me, his eyes cold as he mounts his horse.

Today is the day Edward is supposed to die, and I have decided to accompany him on his hunting trip. I'm not sure how I'll save him, but I need to at least try. "I want to hunt with you," I reply, pointing at my riding clothes as well as bow and arrow.

"You don't know how to hunt."

"Actually, I do. I love hunting," I lie.

"Oh come on, Edward," a cute guy with dirty blonde hair and deep green eyes rides up next to us. He grins at me, "give this beautiful lady a chance."

Edward rolls his eyes at the guy, "you're very late, James."

James slides off his horse and walks over to me. "I am Lord James Morray," he kisses my hand and continues, "and I believe you are the incredibly alluring princess Catherine of Scotland?"

"Yes, it's very lovely to meet you," I curtsy.

"Likewise," James winks at me, and my heart flutters. Just a bit. It's nothing compared to what I feel when I look over at Edward and meet his eyes.

With Edward, my heart twists itself into a million tiny knots.

"James," Edward snaps his gaze away from me, "get back on your horse," he orders, voice hard.

"James..."I put on what I consider my flirty smile and grab his arm, "My lord, oh please, let me come with you."

"Of course," James takes my hand into his and smiles at me. He turns around to face Edward, "let's bring her! It'll be fun!"

"She doesn't even know how to hunt."

"What if I can prove to you that I can?" I interrupt.

"Oh?" Edward raises an eyebrow and points at a flock of birds flying above the castle gates. "Fine. Prove it. Shoot any of those birds."

"What?" I gawk at him. "You want me to kill a bird?"

"I thought you said you wanted to hunt."

I take a deep breath, "Yes...I want to hunt." Calming my shaking arms, I nock an arrow. Silently, I pray that my two years of archery lessons in preparation for playing Katniss in the Hunger Games pays off. "I'm sorry, bird," I whisper. I release my arrow, watching with guilty satisfaction as it whistles through the air. 

With a light thud, a sparrow lands on the ground before Edward. I smirk.

"Not bad," Edward starts riding away, "come if you want."

"Why don't you ride with me?" James grins, patting the back of his horse.

I rush towards him, eager for a ride with a handsome lord. "Sure, I would love t-" I start to say before I am cut off.

"No," Edward announces, "She will ride with me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 1.3K 7
EVERYTHING IS A FIRST DRAFT Princess Anne has gone her whole life thinking she is due to be the first queen to rule Canlyra without a king in her way...
81.7K 1.9K 16
Prince William, the Prince of Wales gets a second chance at love with the woman who's always been there. The Prince of Wales is suffering from a brok...
137K 5.5K 72
**PREVIOUSLY TITLED ABORTION** Niall Horan AU It's hard enough being pregnant, but it's even more difficult when that very pregnancy was the result o...
538 70 20
"Why?" A painful whisper escapes my mouth. My vision keeps disappearing from the corners of my eyes. I can't hear the loud thunders of this stormy n...