Midnight Luna (#Wattys2015)

By _LightBringer_

Outcast. Bullied. Hated. Rejected. This was Hailey Johnson's life and she hated it. She takes a stand and dec... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Author's Note

Chapter Twenty-Six

11.3K 398 22
By _LightBringer_

 Pic of Esther.

Hailey's POV

Huge drops of rain splattered on the glass making a loud plop. Grey skies and the downpour of heavy rain looked gloomy and sad. I watched nonchalantly as every drop slowly slid down the glass leaving an empty trail. I felt nothing. My mind was numb and so was every part of my body. I guess this is what losing someone you love dearly feels like. I couldn't cry, the tears just wouldn't come. It was cold, dark and quiet and I felt comfortable in it. The smell of disinfectant was heavy in the air.

I turned and watched the limp body on the bed. The monitors attached were constantly beeping, the only indication that he was alive. I longed for any sought of movement but received none. Every now and then a nurse would come check the monitors and walk away. No one knew why it happened or what the reason was. I slowly stood up on shaky legs and walked to the single bed in the center of the room.

His pale, flawless skin was now chalk white and had huge bags circled around his eyes. His lips were chapped and the cracks on them were prominent. His eyes were closed and I longed to see those happy brown eyes that always made me smile. What I didn't understand was why he would do this. Did he not know that there were so many who couldn't live without him. He was so selfish that he thought about himself and not others.

The door creaked open and the pack doctor entered. He was wearing the standard white overalls and a stethoscope round his neck. His thin gold glasses were placed on his pointed nose and his grey hair was combed back making him look older. He looked at me with his hazel eyes and smiled warmly, but no matter what I couldn't return it.

"Doctor, can you tell me why he did this?" I asked, not recognizing my own voice.                    

"Lily dear, all I know is that he did this out of great depression. Can you tell me what was troubling him these few weeks?" He asked.

"He was fine when I left from my pack, but when he came here I noticed he was sad, but I can't be very sure." I shrugged as I looked down at Nate and locked my fingers with his.

"Lily, I know only one reason why wolves try to hurt themselves." He said sadly.

I scrunched my brows and stared at the doctor. "And what is this reason?"

"Werewolves are very emotional and attached. Their behavior towards a loved one is very extreme. In his case, I guess Nate must have found his mate here. But unfortunately his mate rejected him. That is the only reason I can come up with. It may not be true but everything fits perfectly indicating he was rejected" He said while looking at me intently

"That can't be true. Nate is mate less, if he did find his mate he would told me no matter what. And who would ever reject a good person like him who has done well to all?" I asked blankly.

Nate can't be mated, he would never be rejected. He is amazing and that is just not possibly. Who would be so heartless to ever hurt someone like him?

"Lily Dear, I am saying this because I have witnessed these exact symptoms years back, and that werewolf was rejected by his mate too." He said.

"What happened to this werewolf doc?" I asked without taken my eyes off Nate's face.

"He didn't survive the rejection." He mumbled. I shook my head as a lone tear escaped and slid onto my cheeks. The doc squeezed my shoulder and left.

"I don't believe them Nate. You would never give up so easily. It was always you who told me never give up when I was low or dejected. Then how can you do this to yourself. Please I beg you to fight it, fight it for Liam, and the rest, for me and most important fight for your mate." I cupped his face in my palms, his cold skin sent shivers through me.

I had no idea how long I sat there but next thing I knew was Kevin had entered the room and told me to go freshen up. I didn't want to leave Nate in case he woke up, but he forced me and reluctantly I got up to leave. As i was about to leave, I heard Nate mumble something. Snapping my neck quickly, I crouched down and stared at him.

"Kevin did you hear that? Nate just said something." I yelled suddenly feeling excited. Kevin gave me a confused look; he shook his head and took my hand in his.

"Hailey he didn't say anything. You're just too tired. I think you really need to rest." He slowly advised but I knew what I heard.

"Kevin he said something. Something like 'ther' or 'other', I am not too sure." I grumbled feeling irritated and annoyed.

"Hails baby please go and take a nap. You really need it; I promise if anything comes up, I'll be the first to call you." I nodded numbly. That small feeling of happiness disappeared, leaving me sad again. In my heart I knew he had said something but then why didn't Kevin hear it too.

I walked out of the room and came face to face with Liam. His smooth hair was standing in different directions, his eyes looked tired and bags surrounded them. He looked ten years older. I just stood there staring him. He had a serious look on his face, yet I could see the distraught running behind his eyes.

His gaze fell on me and small smile formed on his face. That minute nothing could stop me from running and jumping into his arms, letting the tears finally fall again. He held me tight and I couldn't ask for more. His familiar smell was somewhat soothing.

"Hush now baby. It will be fine. Our Nate is very strong, he won't give up." He whispered in my ears. I pulled back and looked at him through my blurry vision.

"You promise?" I asked stupidly, yet desperately needing assurance. He smiled and kissed my forehead.

"Now Hailey have I ever lied to you?" He joked cracking that famous grin. I managed a small smile.

"When did you get here?" I asked suddenly.

 "I felt my connection to Nate weaken so I called Tyler to find out why. When I heard I left quickly and got here an hour ago. I was waiting for you out here knowing you needed time with him." He stated wrapping his hands around me again.

I didn't know if the doc told him that this could have happened because he was rejected. I needed to find out for myself who is this foolish girl who would let a guy like Nate go. I have to find her and give her a piece of my mind. I would never want what I went through for three years to happen to Nate. I will make sure he has his stupid mate right next to him. Nate may think it is noble to let her go because she wants to; well I am not going to sit back and watch two people screw their life.

Suddenly I heard a loud growl from behind me and next second I was snatched away from Liam's arms. Looking up I saw an angry faced Zach staring at him intimidatingly. He was growling lowly and his fangs were sticking out. His wolf was fighting to come out. Liam looked unfazed yet I notice the sad look in his eyes when he saw the protective stance Zach had in front of me. I knew I had to get him out of there before he makes it obvious.

I looked at Liam and he nodded, understanding what I was trying to tell him. I looked at his face one last time and turned to leave the room with a very angry and stiff Zach walking behind me.

"Don't get yourself hurt again Hailey." Liam's voice entered my head. I couldn't reply so I just sent a silent nod to him. I quickly found an empty room and dragged him into it, locking it instantly.

"Are you out of you min--," Zach pushed his lips on mine forcefully. He kissed me roughly making me gasp. Taking this as an opportunity, he let his tongue enter my mouth and the minute he touched my tongue, I saw stars. My legs started shaking, my breath increased and before I knew it I was kissing him back just as passionately. My wolf was pushing at the surface to mark her mate. He bit my lip and then trailed down, giving soft kisses on my neck. My eyes closed and breathing shallow I tangled my hands in his soft hair pulling it slightly. I suddenly felt his fangs scrap my skin, making my snap my eyes open.

Taking every ounce of my strength I pushed him off me. He stumbled back looking dazed and confused. My heart was beating rapidly and my lips burned for his touch. My wolf whined loudly but I couldn't give in to him now. He doesn't deserve to get me so easily.

I shook my head a put my hands in front of me as he came closer to me. "No Zach, please stay away from me." I said weakly, feeling very tired.

"Hailey please give me one chance I'll do anything. Whatever you want, I'll do it." His said, as he tried to reach for me. My heart was slowly forgiving him but in my mind I knew I can't get so weak. My self-esteem is also important.

"Just leave me alone." I yelled suddenly and with great speed ran away from him. I knew he wouldn't follow me, so I went to my room and locked the door behind me. No, now is not the time to think about Zach, I need to help Nate. He is the one who needs me. With a conflicted mind I went to the window and looked over the backyard. The rain had stopped but a lingering feeling of it was still there.

He grass looked greener than ever and the sky was a mixture of grey and white clouds. Suddenly at the

Far end sat a small figure. At first I didn't recognize it but when the slight sun rays hit its face, I saw that it was Esther. She looked like she was crying; I wonder what the reason was. With my werewolf I eyesight I could still see the mating mark on her neck so it's not possible Zach could have told her about me. Well I knew he never really meant anything. I was so foolish. My mind kept telling me that there was something about Esther that I was missing but I just couldn't my finger on it. Sighing I closed the blinds and walked to the bed and laid down.

"Nate I miss you." I whispered to the ceiling. The word 'ther' kept playing in my head. What did it mean? Was it just my imagination? And why would he say something so meaningless? If he could just tell me her name I'll find her. Come on Hailey think.

I closed my eyes and saw images of Zach and Esther fill my mind. It hurt to even think about them together. Suddenly I opened my eyes as a thought came to my mind. No it can't be, can it? Would she do something like that? I need to talk to her. I guess it fits, she is the one. I quickly left the room and went down to the backyard. She was still there with her head held down. Taking huge strides I went and gripped her arm strongly making her get up and face me. My anger had reached its limit and I knew my assumption was right. Her face said it all as she tried avoiding my eyes.

"What's the matter Esther, why you crying?" I said through teeth. She wiped her eyes and gave me blank face. Well I saw right through it. "I have no idea what you're talking?" She stated.

"You know exactly what I mean. I swear Esther if something happens to him, I will kill you." I threatened.

"Please don't say that. Nothing will happen to him." She begged. My face softened and I held her hands in mine.

"Esther I know what losing a mate feels like, please you don't want to do this. You'll are meant to be don't destroy what our goddess has planned. It won't help any of you because you are the only one who can save him, please I'm begging you." She pulled her hands from mine and took a step back while shaking her head.

"No I already have a mate, Zach is my mate and I love him." She mumbled. I didn't know what to say. My wolf growled at her with sheer hatred but I knew that it was the truth, she did love him. But what she doesn't know that mates are not only made for love, there are our entire existence, our energy source.

"Esther I know you love him, but I tell you this, you will never fill complete. You will always feel something empty inside you. You will never be able to share yourself with anyone properly other than your mate. He is yours and you are his. You'll are one. Please think about this again." I begged her. I knew she understood what I meant. After seeing your mate it is more difficult to stay away.

"I can't." She said lifting her hand and stroking the mark on her neck. "Even if I wanted to I can't." She said slowly crumbling down on the grass and crying continuously. I didn't feel anything for her, because to me who ever rejects their mate they deserve to hurt loads. I left her there and went inside the house to find Zach. He is the only one who is to blame for all this.

I had no idea what was an arranged mating and what were the rules but what I did know was that Zach was the only one who could save Nate. And will make sure he does exactly that. He was nowhere around so I sniffed the air and followed his scent to a huge two way door. Without knocking I entered and saw him lying flat on the couch to the left of the room. Ther was huge table in the center and on the right were columns of books. I guess this must be his study. He lifted his head up and stared at me straight in the eyes. I was sure that the anger was evident in my eyes, because he instantly jumped and came and stood in front of me. I wanted slap him and kiss him at the same time. Gosh I was so messed up.

"Hailey what's the matter?" He asked in that delicious voice. I shook my head to clear it and glared at him.

"You Zach are the problem." I snarled. Hurt flashed in his eyes and small whine escaped his lips. "What did I do Hailey?"

"You have not only screwed my life but also my family's life." I yelled pushing him in the chest, but he didn't budge. He held my hand tightly and kept it on his chest. Underneath my palms I could feel the soft beats of his heart sending amazing tingles through my entire body. I suppressed a moan that threatened to escape.

"Please tell me what you mean." He begged. "You would anything for me, right?" I asked him blankly.

"Anything" He said sincerely.

"Then I want you to break your mate bond with Esther." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 92.1K 29
{Completed} Jessie Brown once had a normal life, a normal family, friends and a pack. But a hurricane swept over her life and completely turned every...
15.8K 802 13
// Completed // Spencer Croft is the Beta of the Wolfe Creek pack and future Luna of it. But after having spent the last four years fighting in the...
585K 12.9K 21
Emeli and Derek have been best friends ever since they could remember. Derek being the future alpha of the Shadow Moon Pack and her twin brother bein...
1.1M 33.6K 28
Jade is a 15 year old girl. She is different from everyone in her pack. Because her eyes are multicolored she's bullied because no one has ever seen...