The Lone Surviver

By jeonishh

"How did you have the strength to just... shoot?" "He was already dead." He pauses, leaning his rifle against... More

O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N

F O U R

344 22 105
By jeonishh

Taehyung's POV

Saturday 21st August 2074

Yoongi pulls into the car park; entirely deserted. Not a single living being around.

Surprisingly, the doors to the supermarket were open, otherwise we would've had to break in and who knows how many walkers the alarm would alert.

"So where you from?"Jimin asks as we stroll down the aisles aimlessly.

The others had all scattered.

"East London."

"Where abouts in East?"

"Brentwood."

"How old are you?" He asks.

"19," I answer.

"Oh same."

***

9 years ago

Today my mum's work friends are coming over. And apparently they're gonna bring their kids too. I don't know how old they are. Namjoon is at his friend's house for a sleepover since he did all his chores and his homework so my mum let him go for the weekend.

"Taehyungie!" My mum calls for me.

"Yeah?" I walk to the kitchen to see what she wants.

"Go get changed baby, my friends are gonna be here soon," my mum smiles as she continues to prepare the food.

"Okay mum," I say, stealing a chicken nugget before running to the stairs.

"Hey!" My mum chuckles at my childishness.

***

I pull my grey t-shirt, over my head, that has a tiger roaring in the middle and my dark red shorts. Brushing my hair back, I trod downstairs and place the brush on the table by the front door. I turn around to head to the kitchen.

°Ding dong°

"Ahh! They're here!" My mother squeals and rushes to open the door.

"Hi Misun," a woman at the door hugs my mum.

"Hello Jiyoung, and who is this?" My mum bends down a little, putting her hands on her knees. There's a boy standing next to the woman, he looks like he's maybe ten too.

"I'm Sungmin," the boy looks up at my mum and smiles a little bit.

"Ah, so cute. I'm Aunty Misun," my mum cups his cheek gently. "Please, come inside.

"This is my son, Taehyung," my mum stands next to me after she closed the door and smiles at me, putting her hand on my right shoulder.

"Hi Taehyung," the woman says to me. "I'm Aunty Jiyoung," she smiles at me before ruffling my hair a bit.

I smile back at her.

"Why don't you boys play in the garden?" My mum says.

"Okay," I shrug as I lead the way to the garden.

"Take Nayeon with you!" My mum shouts after me.

"Nayeon?" I call for her and she soon comes running from behind the trampoline.

"Yeah?" She holds three of my fingers, since her hand isn't really big enough, not yet taking notice of Sungmin.

Her grip on my hand loosens a little. "Who's he?" She tries to whisper but Sungmin laughs when she fails miserably.

"Sungmin," I answer.

"Do you wanna play on the trampoline?" I turn to Sungmin.

"Yeah, sure," he nods.

°°°

"How old are you?" I shout, almost out of breath as I jump higher and higher on the trampoline.

"Ten!" Sungmin shouts back.

"So am I!"

"Cool!"

"Nayeon! Are you okay?" I ask my sister as I continue jumping.

"Yeah!" She replies while she plays with her dolls on the grass.

She's not shy or anything but she's kinda scared of the trampoline so she only goes on it when I'm with her.

Sungmin is nice and he's funny too. He got forced to come but he said it's not so bad cos I'm here.

After a little while of jumping I hear the doorbell ring again. I slowly stop jumping because my mum said that I have to come inside and play with the kids who come so they're not left out. And she said I have to be respectful and take them all in the garden.

"Where are you going?" Sungmin asks, as he stops jumping too.

"I have to go see who's here otherwise my mum will tell me off," I put on my slippers after sliding off the trampoline and waddle across the garden.

"Taehyungie. This is Seokjin, say hi," My mum says.

"I'm Taehyung," I say to Seokjin.

He smiles at me and asks how old I am while my mum and her friends talk in the living room.

°°°

"Do you wanna play a game?" I ask the other two boys, who I come to learn that oldest is fourteen.

"What game?" Seokjin asks.

"Ummmmmm?"

"What about It?" Sungmin suggests. "You're it!" He taps my shoulder before running away to the opposite end of the garden, behind the trampoline.

"Seokjin! I'm gonna.." I trail off, "get you!" I tap his back and run in the other direction.

***

"Boys! Nayeon! Time for dinner!"

We all run inside and my mum hands all of us some juice.

My mum let us all get whatever we want from the food she set out on the table.

I grab lots of chicken nuggets and fries and crisps. My mum loves chicken nuggets like me so she pops one in her mouth before heading into the living room.

"You can come sit at the table with us or you can eat outside," my mum tells us.

Sungmin and Jin look to me before stepping outside to eat.

"Nayeon, come and eat," my mum picks up her plastic Minnie Mouse plate and start putting chicken nuggets on it.

"Can I have some noodles?" Nayeon toddles from outside and next to me, just about able to see over the dining table.

***

Sungmin and Aunty Jiyoung moved away cos Sungmin was getting a baby brother. And they needed a bigger house. Something like that. Sungmin came over a few more times but then after that, I haven't seen him again.

But Jin came round more as well. He met Namjoon a few times but he was sometimes at after school clubs so he doesn't really see Jin as much as me.

At first I thought he was a bit scary cos he was older so when we first met, I didn't really talk to him as much as Sungmin. Even when he and his mum came over, and I had to play with him. I didn't really know what to say to him.

I'm even going to the big school that Jin goes to next year. Slowly, we got to know each other more and more but it did take some time cos he's not in my year. For example, his favourite colour is pink, he likes hot chocolate, he also likes boys and not girls,, even though I don't know what he means because mum said I should be nice to everyone. I have friends who are boys, so doesn't that mean I like boys too?

***

"I walked into that bathroom and there was a guy and a girl having sex on the counter," I share my story as I dip my head in embarrassment, while laughing all the while.

Jimin roars, unable to control his laughter.

"What are you guys screeching about?" Jungkook hangs back and walks alongside Jimin.

"None of your business, you loser," Jimin swishes his head around in Jungkook's face.

"The men are talking, Jungkook," I shake my head.

"I'll show you man talk," the corners of Jungkook's mouth lift up as he pushes me playfully.

"Guys come here!" Jin shouts from the other end of the store.

"Jungkook! Catch!" Yoongi throws a milkshake bottle at Jungkook, to which he catches perfectly in one hand.

Jungkook puts it in his pocket before walking ahead, to Jin. I see Jimin follow after him.

I'm scared about leaving.

I'm not stupid, I'm not going to try and kill walkers if I can avoid it. That'll be my last resort. I just hope Nayeon is okay.

Someone ploughs into my shoulder as they walk past me, snapping me out of my thoughts. I wince, rolling my shoulder as I see Yoongi walking past me.

"Taehyung!" Someone hits me round the back of my head.

"Ow!"

"Stop daydreaming dumbass," Jin rolls his eyes at me. "Go get some stuff so you're prepared."

My brows furrow at his statement, "I'm gonna go get a backpack."

I head over towards the escalators to go upstairs.

"I'll come with you," Jungkook skips over to me.

Neither of us say anything on the way up the escalators.

I walk around, trying to find a bag.

"Taehyung wait," Jungkook grabs my shoulder and turns me around.

"What?"

"I um, I," he let out a big sigh.

"I'm listening," I say softly.

He mumbles something.

"Huh?"

"I.."

"Yeah..?"

"I'm scared."

I look at him patiently, waiting for him to continue.

"I'm scared. About everything.," he exhales a shaky breath. "I'm sorry, I.." he turns away from me.

"Whether you consider me your friend or not, it is my concern. I'm scared too. I don't know what's gonna happen to me, or if my sister is even alive at this point. It's been three days. A lot can happen in three days," I pause. "But I do know one thing. That you and the other guys are gonna be fine. You're prepared. You'll be safe soon."

He stays silent.

"You'll be okay Jungkook," I squeeze his shoulder, ready to turn around and start getting my things together.

"But will you?"

I stop.

Author's POV

"You said it yourself, you don't know what's gonna happen to you or if your sister is alive. Is there even a point in going?"

Taehyung's eyes darken. "Yes there is a point, she's my sister! Even if there was the smallest chance that she might be alive, I'm gonna take it!"

He pushes his way through the clothing racks, knocking some hangers off on his way.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"Then what way did you mean it, Jungkook?" Taehyung grumble.

"I've never had any siblings. I'm an only child so I don't know what it's like to care for someone like that. I don't know what it's like to drop everything for family."

Taehyung faces him, "what about your parents?"

"I was adopted. And when they finally had their own child, they didn't want me anymore. I got put back into the system. And from there, I started only helping myself. I'm selfish, I'm aware."

"So no, not even for my parents," Jungkook concludes.

"I'm sorry that that happened to you," Taehyung sighs. "She's only 16 and she has her whole life ahead of her, and she means the world to me."

Jungkook opens his mouth, about to object but refrains, worried about offending Taehyung again.

***

Taehyung's POV

"Is this alright?" Jungkook holds a big black and blue duffel bag in front of me.

"Oh yeah," I nod a little.

"What else do you-"

"Wait shut up," I whisper, cutting off Jungkook.

"What?" He whispers back.

"I heard someone."

"That's probably the boys downstairs then," Jungkook says, raising his voice back to a normal level.

I widen my eyes and exaggeratedly mouth "shut up." I pull him down to crouch next to me.

I hear some more voices, they're girls. That's definitely not the boys downstairs.

Suddenly a gunshot sounds close by, and Jungkook and I gasp out of fright, both of us falling backwards into the floor.

A girl walks out from behind a rack of clothing, pointing a gun at us. Her stance is wide, her eyes narrow.

My mouth runs dry, but I force myself to say something. Anything.

"We- we don't mean any trouble, we're just getting some stuff, and we're leaving," I raise my hands up in defence.

The girl stands silently for another minute.

"Did you break anything? Doors? Windows?" She asks.

"No," Jungkook answers quickly.

"There's more of you," the girl states.

I nod, not knowing what she wants me to say.

"You have twenty minutes before the rest of us come down there and start shooting."

"Okay," Jungkook and I scramble to pull ourselves up.

I peer round the corner to see where she is but she's already gone.

***

Once we get back to the others, we tell them about the girl with the gun and that we need to hurry.

"Are you both okay? She didn't hurt you right?" Jin worries.

"No we're okay," I shake my head. "But we need to leave."

"I'm gonna get some food then we'll go."

"Come on, let's get some snacks as well cos I'm getting hungry," Jungkook complains.

"Alright let's go," I say.

He pulls out the small bottle of milkshake from his right pocket. "It's warm," he groans at me. "Let's go get some more."

"Wait, I need underwear," I walk away. "Go get your milk I'll be over here."

"Alright," Jungkook nods.

I stroll over to the underwear section and look for the ones I need. Walking in and out of the rows of underwear, I watch out for anything close enough to what I want.

Someone suddenly grabs hold of my shoulder roughly and pulls me back. My eyes meet Yoongi's.

I stare at him in shock.

"What the hell man?"

"I don't like you and I don't trust you. As soon as we drop you off, you are to never come back. You don't look for us, you don't try to call us and you don't talk about us. You are not taking Jungkook with you," Yoongi growls quietly, ensuring only I hear him. His hand still on my shoulder, his nails digging into me.

"I got it," I pull his hand off me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared but I'm not gonna let him know that, my brows stay furrowed as I push away from him and turn around.

***

"Shit," a whisper makes its way out of my mouth as I freeze. My breathing becomes shaky, my eyes widen, my throat and mouth run dry. No, this is not happening again. I can't keep relying on someone to save me when I'm alone.

There it stands before me, so close I could reach out and touch it. Seemingly brown eyes, black hair that scrapes her shoulders, her right eye twitching.

My heart pounds so dangerously, threatening to break through my ribcage.

It still can't see me, so I slowly but carefully pull out the gun tucked in the back of my jeans and aim it at the walker's head.

"So I got you some protein shakes, cos I thought you might-"

"Stand back!" I pull Jungkook behind me, keeping my hand against his stomach and immediately shoot one handed directly for her head, making a bullet hole in between her eyes. She growls and still attempts to come closer. Another shot. She drops dead on the cold floor.

"Did I really just kill someone?"

***

I'm still a little shaken.

"You did what you had to do to survive. She wasn't human anymore, you can't blame yourself for protecting yourself," Jungkook explains.

He tries to reassure me as I remain buried in my thoughts.

"Don't forget what I said," Yoongi whispers lowly in my ear as he walks past me.

***

"Taehyung, I got some stuff for you as well don't worry, I put in all in your duffle bag," Jin says, holding out my bag.

"Thanks," I grab the bag and take a look what's inside.

It's got some canned food. A can opener. A large bottle of water and three small ones. Some snacks and long life food.

"I got you another bag, I put some toiletries and bandages in there. And some water," Jungkook hands me a black backpack.

"Thanks," I smile gratefully at him.

We put everything inside the backpacks and duffle bags that Jungkook and I brought from upstairs. Everyone slips on a backpack and carries a duffle bag, getting ready to leave.

***

Walkers everywhere. There must be about thirty or forty of them, there's no way we can kill all of them. There's some by our cars as well. If we head to the cars, we'll have to kill some but that's too risky, they'll all hear us.

"Let's head out from the side entrance on the left and walk out from the back to get to the right side," Yoongi instructs.

There's more of them in front of us as soon as we turn the corner. At this rate, I'm gonna die before I reach Nayeon.

We walk as slowly as we can, trying not to provoke any walkers.

"This is taking too long, we need hurry," Yoongi whispers.

"That's too dangerous," Jimin says.

"We barely made it last time," Jin adds.

"No, Yoongi's right. We need to run for it," Boseon pipes up.

***

We swiftly dodge them as we continue running for our lives. This is a life or death matter. I'm already out of breath. Jin is next to me but I feel like I'm slowing down. I'm losing energy to run any longer.

"Come on!" Jin pulls on my wrist as we continue.

We had to turn the corner again instead of going straight because there were too many walkers down that way.

"Sh*t!" Hoseok shouts.

"Dead end?" Boseon panics. "This wasn't blocked last time!'

"There's a dumpster there, get on!" Jin pushes Jungkook and I towards it. It's one of those really large rectangular bins, the ones with the two black lids.

The walkers are catching up!

My duffle bag is stuck on something! A walker is right behind me, and claws at my face before Hoseok jumps off the bin and kicks the walker in the head, cracks escaping loudly from the body as it falls to the ground.

"Come on," Hoseok unhooks my bag from the handle of the bin.

"Everyone up!" Yoongi points to the wall. The wall is still pretty high, I can reach the top of it but I can't see over. We throw over the duffle bags first, our backpacks still firmly against our backs.

Boseon cups his hands for Hoseok to step on then Jungkook to sit on top, one leg on each side of the wall so they can help us get over. They tell us there's another dumpster on the other side. Boseon gives Jimin a boost as well and he swiftly jumps down onto the other side.

The walkers are grabbing at us from all sides of the dumpster. My breathing quickens, as does my heart beat. Fear bursts through my body.

"Taehyung!" Jungkook calls me.

Yoongi and Boseon kick at the walkers' heads, attempting to hold them off. Boseon grabs his gun and shoots. I wince, blood splashing my jeans.

"You go!" Yoongi yells at Boseon.

"Taehyung come on!" Hoseok shouts at me.

I feel like this is the only way to make it up to Yoongi. I know he hates me now and I can't change that but I have to try.

I pull out my own gun as Hoseok pulls Boseom up and begin shooting, trying to deter them. I stomp on their hands, as they try to reach up at me, their bones crunching under my shoes.

Yoongi turns to Jungkook, trying to get over the wall.

"Taehyung come on!"

"Let's go!" Jungkook and Hoseok roar, trying to get me to leave.

A hand wraps around my ankle, and I gasp as I fall on my back on the bin. More hands try to snatch at my clothes. I start kicking at them.

"Yoongi!' I shout as he's the closest to me. My heart feels like it's about to explode and kill me before the walkers do.

Yoongi turns around, no longer holding onto Jungkook and continues his way up the wall. He's leaving me to die!

Hoseok swings his legs off the wall and grasps at my hands, tearing me from the grip of the walkers. He puts his hands together to form a little step as he gives me a boost, Jungkook holds onto my arm to pull me up quickly before reaching for Hoseok.

I jump down and land on the other dumpster with a thud, and slide off onto the ground.

Hoseok attacks the top of the wall, his fingers viciously clutch the bricks.

Jungkook and Hoseok leap over onto the wall and sit down on the dumpster, breath heavy.

I almost died. I almost died because of Yoongi. I stayed back, and he leaves me to die. If Jungkook and Hoseok had already gone, I would've been torn to shreds by now. My blood on the pavement.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Word count:
3427

For those of you that don't know, Tesco is a grocery store it's kind of like a British version of Target.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 5K 39
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024
340K 7.3K 34
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
975K 32.4K 60
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
870K 40.3K 172
𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one