REMARKABLE

By Lazaah

FACETS # 2 | 1st Draft Yahya Firas burnt every day in the fire of destruction lit by his parents. Suffered. S... More

Insight
Prologue
Part I |Forget me not|
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
Part II |Almost|
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
Intermediate|I am Destruction|
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
Part III| I love you|
50
51
52
53
54
55
55 | Bonus Scene
56
57
58
59
60|Epilogue|
Bonus Chapter
Excerpts
Deleted scene #1
Deleted Scene # 2
Deleted Scene # 3
Deleted Scene # 4
Deleted Scene # 5
Thankyou.

9

2.4K 175 66
By Lazaah

'Assalamualaikum!' He heard her long before she came to see him, her loud greeting reverberating in the empty living room as she strolled to his mother's room, first.

Ahsan waited patiently while taking gradual sips of his coffee as the cool breeze danced around him, lost in her thoughts. It's been days since he had last seen her, talked to her when only month ago it seemed near impossible. The dipping sun witnessed his crestfallen expression as the man bowed his head, his lean fingers tracing the rim of his coffee cup, placed on the railing. Numerous questions roamed through his mind. Was she happy? Did she miss him like he missed her? Did she want to see him? Before Ahsan could drown himself in those miserly thoughts again, the pest appeared at the balcony door with a smile. The crescent engravings in her cheeks almost blinded him for a few moments as he turned sideways to look at her leaning against the sliding doors, her hands folded on her chest imitating him.

'Hello.' Anaya's heart squeezed in her chest seeing the permanent frown etched on Ahsan's face. He looked better physically but his eyes remained the same, dull. She had always thought he had one of the most beautiful smiles in the world and she greatly felt it's absence when his lips only twitched slightly, depriving her of her own happiness.

'Hey. What are you doing here?' Ahsan greeted, he didn't want to act like he was fine in front of her. Even if he did, she'd know apparently she knew him better. Her words, not his.

'Can't a friend come to see another friend in times of their need?'

'Yes, but you were here only a few days ago.' Four days but Ahsan didn't think it'll do his already muddled brain any good if he mentioned that.

'I didn't think there was a limit to the visits. Should I leave, then?' Anaya sassed about to leave when Ahsan stopped her.

'No, stay. I-I mean since you're already here.' Ahsan stuttered under Anaya's scrutinizing gaze. It perturbed him and made him nervous, Ahsan shifted on his feet.

'So This is your first year in the university?' Ahsan inquired, clearing his throat, trying to make a small talk as an awkward silence elapsed between them. Last he had been in the city, she was preparing for the academic session.

'Yes, finally.'

'Let's see if you feel this relieved when you're about to graduate. You never told me your major?' He tried to joke but the smile must have looked more like a grimace if Anaya's reply was anything to go by. He also knew she was majoring in Accounting and Finance but he couldn't bear her silence.

'I know that you already know everything from my brothers so I don't feel the need to have this discussion with you.' Anaya replied bluntly, watching as he shut his eyes, gathering himself. A man wouldn't want to appear weak despite being at his lowest before a good friend.

'Just by the way, Ahsan, Sulking doesn't suit you. I like it more when you're chasing women than crying for one. ' Anaya said as she came to stand beside him, searching her mind for a way to cheer him up. She disliked having to see him like this, so unkempt when she had always known him to polished and well organized. His jaw was covered in a five o clock shadow, his eyes droopy and tired as he saw her movements with hooded eyes. His checkered shirt creased and rolled to the elbows. His hair disheveled as if he had run his fingers through the luscious strands one too many times.

'Does it hurt still?' Anaya queried softly, having placed a hand on his plastered arm that he held to his chest as her fingertips kissed the stitched scar on his forehead, rising on her tiptoes.

Ahsan's heart pulsated in his chest, he could hear it beating in his ears and pumping blood to the nape of his neck when she neared him and he held his breath. His body stiff as a board under her gentle ministrations.

Anaya pulled away after brushing the falling hair over his forehead to the side, fixing his hairstyle in its normal fashion. She soughed with contentment, her heart beating furiously in her chest.
'At least now you somewhat resemble the same, old Ahsan.'

Ahsan would have heard the rapid thuds of her heart if he wasn't busy calming his own. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish to say something but nothing came to his mind, his thoughts a jumbled mess. That's what even Armineh didn't do to him and that's why Ahsan remained away from the girl who was 8 years his junior but still made him lose his bearings with a mere touch.

What are you thinking?

Ahsan detected what he hazarded to be simple adoration in her voice as she looked at him rather tenderly with her teardrop, honey eyes. Anaya barely reached his shoulders so he had to bend his head to catch a glimpse of her. She was undeniably very beautiful, up close. The distance between them didn't do her justice but Ahsan couldn't afford it any less. Not with her.

Ahsan dismissed his haywire thoughts, turning his head back to the rolling waves. Before he could retort to her comment, her phone rang.

Anaya heaved a sigh when she saw the caller ID. She couldn't avoid it as much as she wanted to.

'Assalamualaikum.' Anaya greeted, holding her phone to her ear.

'I am out.' Ahsan watched as a look of pure annoyance crossed her features, her small nose scrunched in irritation while she rubbed her forehead. She pressed her pink lips, nodding and cut the call.

'You didn't tell your brothers.' Ahsan stated as he turned around, standing against the railing.

'Of course, you didn't.' Ahsan smacked his lips together when Anaya didn't say anything. It had been a common occurrence for as long as Ahsan could remember.

'Go home, Anaya.' He mumbled, half-heartedly. For a while there, just being by Anaya's side, he had forgotten about her. He didn't want to miss her anymore, it ached to even think about her. What was the use when she wasn't even coming back.

'Are you serious? I am not going. You are leaving for England in two days and God knows when you'll return.' Anaya spoke angrily as she came to stand in front of him, her hands on her hips and her eyebrows furrowed. He never intimidated her even as he stood there, towering over her and glared, silently wishing for her to remain where she was.

'I am sure, I won't be coming for a while. It hurts too much.' Anaya looked down at her feet, blinking back the tears that welled up in her eyes and swallowed the cotton ball in her throat at his confession, willing herself not to cry and as usual, Ahsan chose to remain oblivious to her.

What about me, Ahsan?

Ahsan chose to overlook the drop in her shoulders as she breathed deeply when he had said it. He ignored as she wiped her eyes and heaved a sigh and Ahsan didn't acknowledge the feeling that resurfaced in his gut when she turned around on her heels, giving him her back.

Ahsan admired the golden-brown tresses that cascaded like waterfalls down to her midriff when she halted in her steps. His fingers itching by his sides to touch them.

'I read somewhere that ice cream does wonders when trying to overcome dejection. Are you coming? It might help you.' And me. Both. Anaya threw over her shoulder, unable to look at him, directly.

'Anaya.' Ahsan breathed, limping to her, his cup forgotten on the railing. He stopped short, maintaining an appropriate distance between them, his broad shoulders tensed, he knew she was upset with him but he didn't know what to say. Ahsan cursed, this had been going on for a year now, there would always be something he'd say that resulted in this. Anaya was good at reading him but him, he was clueless, not even knowing where to start when it came to her.

'We are taking my car.' Anaya muttered before walking down the corridor. Ahsan shoved his fingers into his hair, pulling at them, cursing all kinds of profanities at himself under his breath as he slowly paced to his mother's room.

Ayesha raised her head when she heard her son.
'Mama, I am going out for a while. Lock the door, please.' He uttered, peeping through the door. He had barely shrugged his jacket when he hobbled across the room.

❇❇❇❇❇

'Assalamualaikum.' He spoke, entering into their room, uncuffing his sleeves and loosening his tie around his neck. Every light was switched off except the lamp on his desk. His eyes shifted to Armineh who was settled in the chair, her head bowed over some sheets as her fingers flew over the keyboard, rapidly. Ardashir massaged the tight muscles of his shoulder as he turned his head sideways and clenched his jaw when Armineh's silence greeted him. This marriage was wrong on so many levels and nothing but a nuisance, in addition to his worries. He threw his blazer on the bed, Armineh either didn't want to acknowledge his presence like it had been the case since their wedding or she was far too immersed in numbers to take notice of a man in the room.

Ardashir had stepped out of the washroom a while later to find Armineh staring into nothingness, unblinking and her fingers still. They had barely exchanged words in two weeks since his return as he had flown abroad due to some emergency the very next day because apparently, Armineh had been too busy reminiscing her lover's memories like in the very moment, Ardashir thought bitterly. He regretted not leaving behind his personal contact number and spent two weeks without contacting her, forgetting about his new wife as he invested himself in solving the crisis. Hamza hadn't been helpful. Shame filled him at his actions all the more when he saw her like this.

He shook his head as he padded to her, the sound of his footfalls drowned in the plush carpet. The corners of his lips lifted as he stopped beside her, rubbing his hands together. Why can't he make light of the situation, for once?

'Armineh.' He said, beside her ear.

Armineh squeaked and jumped in surprise when she heard him beside her as he pressed a hand to her shoulder.

She upturned her head to look at him, her hand splayed over her chest, her heartbeat erratic. He had already changed into a white T-shirt that clung to his muscled torso and grey sweatpants, grinning ear to ear while she glared at him.

'When did you come?' Armineh asked shaking his hand off her shoulder and witnessed his falling smile.

'While you were zoned out.' Ardashir shrugged nonchalantly, seemingly unbothered.

'Have you had dinner yet?' Ardashir uttered, moving to sit on the edge of the bed, across her and determined to make talk with once stranger, now wife and improve their relationship.

Armineh shifted in her chair, unable to shake his intent gaze fixed on her person so she settled with a detached nod, unheeding him.

'I didn't see baba. Is he gone to bed? He had his dinner, right?'

Armineh met his questioning gaze as she lifted her bowed eyes, she didn't know how to answer that because she had directly come to her room when she returned from office. She didn't even know if he was at home or not. Armineh bit the inside of her cheeks, embarrassed by her own behavior.

'I don't know.'

Ardashir heard her meek reply and his eyebrows rose to his hairline as his anger flared. Ardashir grounded his jaw to keep himself from lashing out at her.

'I-I am sorry.' Amrineh rushed, sensing his anger directed at her when he crossed his arms over his chest.

Ardashir took a deep breath, he didn't want to say anything and he most definitely didn't want to have their first fight about someone else. Someone who wasn't their concern now.

'I don't need your sorrys, Armineh and I am done with this attitude of yours. It's been weeks and I think I have given you enough time to come to terms with our predicament. I am sorry that we married. I am sorry that you got me as your husband instead of Ahsan but that's just how it is. You tell me should I send you home but if you choose to remain here as my wife, you need to stop being like this.' And just like that his heart melted. She was a stranger in this situation but he wasn't. He stepped into it, all knowing but he couldn't just keep up with this. Whatever this was.

'No man would want their wife spending day and nights on end thinking about their potential husband than the husband, himself and I- unfortunately, I am one of those men. You need to accept me as your husband.'

'Armineh, I not going to tolerate this, any longer. The sooner you come to terms with it, the better and I learned that you refuse to meet with your family. I am fine with it, it's solely your decision but know that, they had your best interest at heart.-'

'-I promised your mother to take care of you. Let me do that for you.' Ardashir said, softly. His hand covered hers in her lap, halting the nervous twiddling of her fingers as he squatted before her.

'Yeah?' A smile lifted Ardashir's lips when Armineh nodded, standing tall, taking him with her.

'And while we are at it, please, look after my baba. I know he's not your responsibility but just check how he's doing when I am not here. Once in a day is all I ask. It's more than eno-.' Ardashir requested in a low voice as he rubbed his neck.

Armineh stopped him with a hand on his forearm and an apologetic smile, I promise, I'll do better. I'll try. Please, Don't worry too much.'

'That's what I expect of you, Armineh. That's what I expected of you- Don't disappoint me. I won't, either.' For all, he knew it was a fake promise made on his end. Armineh gulped, his eyes holding her captive.

'Now about that dinner, Let's go. I am starving and you'll sit with me.' Ardashir pulled her along with him and Armineh followed, hesitantly. They were living on a borrowed time and he'd be damned if he parted ways with her on a bitter note.

❇❇❇

She had just pulled her mid length chocolate hair in a sleek ponytail as she stood in front of the floor length mirror in their room, dressed in Pistachio sharlwar kameez when Imad entered the room.

'Hey, honey!'He kissed Sarah's head as she sat in the center of the bed, watching some movie on YouTube before leisurely strolling to his wife.

He circled his muscular arms around her petite waist and kissed her cheek. Pressing her to his body,'You look gorgeous.'

'Thank you. Are you going some where?' Alizeh met his gaze in the mirror, covering his hands with hers on her waist.

'We are.'

'We?' Alizeh asked as she ran a hand over her hair. She felt his head move as he brushed his lips at the nape of her neck and her skin pebbled. Alizeh couldn't help but squirm and she turned around in his arms, it was still difficult to forget all the times he had inflicted pain on her when his mere presence was a reminder, enough. Her heart smashed beneath her chest as his hold tightened and he pulled her closer, leaving a hairsbreadth between them. She could smell his faint cologne.

'I am going to take my girls, out.' He stated, lifting a hand from Alizeh's waist. He only meant to caress her face but she had flinched when he brought his hand near her.

He took a step back, looking at her, apologetically. He cleared his throat as his arms dropped from her waist and he glanced at his watch, tapping the dial,'We need to get going if we don't want to miss the show.'

Alizeh silently sent a quick prayer of thanks that Imad had chosen to ignore her reaction. She appreciated that he had given her space as she heaved a relieved sigh. He overwhelmed her sometimes with his affectionate displays.

'But- I-I was-' Alizeh stuttered, wringing her hands. She still wasn't every confident, expressing, herself in front of him. She would have told them in a heart beat if it had been any other person. If it had been-

'We can do it, some other day if you don't want to go. I booked the tickets for the first show of the movie you have wanted to watch since the trailer was released.'Imad tucked a strand behind her ear, slowly, allowing her to read his movements and intentions as he mirrored her hesitant smile that stretched on her lips with every word that he uttered.

'You ate my ear off with it's talk nearly every other day. You wouldn't let me forget and i thought, I'd take you once it came out.'He explained as she stood contemplating before him, worrying her lower lip between her teeth.

'Can't we go, tomorrow?'

'Of course, we can but it premiers, today. First show and all. I am okay with tomorrow if you're fine with it. I am only doing it for you, love.' He said, looking down at her as Alizeh busied her hands in straightening the collars of his dress shirt.

She tilted her head up to gaze into Imad's eyes with something akin to stars glittering in her tear drop eyes,'Would you really do that for me?'

He nodded, vigorously,'That and more.'

'It's okay. We'll go some other day. Where did you want to go? I'll drop you, there?' Imad said as he patted the pockets of his slacks to check for his phone.

'Have you seen my phone? I need to cancel the reservations.' He told her, picking his blazer from the chaise as he thrusted his hands in its pockets.

'How are we going to watch the movie if you're cancelling the reservations?' Alizeh pouted as he straightened.

'What? Do you want to go, now?' He inquired, his lips quirking at the corners.

'Of course.'She utterred, enthusiastically as she arranged her dupatta on her shoulder and picked her phone from the dressing table.

She took her tote bag from the chaise, putting her phone, inside as Imad rounded the bed to pick Sarah from the center.

Anaam had been waiting as he flipped through the menu card. He could barely keep the smile off his face.

'Sir, Would you like to order, now?' The waiter asked as he stopped beside his table. Anaam had been for half an hour but he didn't mind waiting. She was worth the wait.

'Uh-No, I am actually waiting for -' Anaam halted as his phone vibrated on the table.'Give me a moment, please.'

I am sorry.

Anaam clenched his jaw, she had only used three words to dash his hopes. Three words, she didn't even have the courtesy to explain him. She shouldn't have agreed to meet him. First, He didn't bother her because she needed some time to settle back with Imad and then, because her sister was getting married but this-this was unacceptable. Anaam tried-tried to blame her but he really couldn't, it was entirely his fault for running after a married woman.

'Never mind, I am leaving.' Anaam uttered, rising from his seat so abruptly that his chair toppled, backwards, forgetting where he was standing.

❇❇❇

There is a new character in the story. Any realizations?What do you think of her and Ahsan?

With these developments,
Any idea how the story is going to unfold?

-❤L

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 26.3K 36
โžณ Wattpad Picks ~ โAngels don't lie, but you do. If I'm a devil, what are you?โž When Burq loses his memory in an accident and doesn't remember his ow...
2.3M 167K 79
"You are fired," he said, as my heart broke into tiny pieces. "No please sir, don't separate me from Imad. I beg of you," I pleaded in agony. What s...
331K 15.9K 43
COVER CREDITS TO THE SWEETEST SOUL- @ShabanaTheStar "This. . . This voice of yours just irritates me!" "If this voice of mine irritates you so much t...
23.3K 1.2K 38
Asfia's gaze lingered on her husband, a man who possessed all the qualities she'd ever dreamt of: tall, handsome, and unfailingly kind-a true gentlem...