In The Water

By TheSaltyDuchess

Cedric was tired and broken. An accident during the Triwizard tournament left him with scars on his body and... More

Niffler
Demiguise
Doxy
Grindylows
Hippogriff
Occamy
Kelpie
Pixie
Selkie
Veela
Murtlag
Chimaera
Phoenix
Boxtruckle
Mermaids
Golden snidget
Basilisk
billiwigs
Boggart
Blast-ended skrewt
Griffin
Zouwu
Fairy
Erumpent
Hinkypunk
Moke
Dementor
Kappa
Ghoul
Hungarian Horntail
Flesh eating slug
Troll
Antipodean opaleye
Graphorn
Centuar
Common welsh green
Imp
Goblin
Sea Nymph
Giant
Ghost
Muses
Swedish short snout

Thunderbird

1.8K 42 7
By TheSaltyDuchess

A sudden jolt of the bus pulled me from my nightmare. The screeching sound of the grindylows still echoing in my head. It was morning and as I look out the window we pass the Welcome to Maine sign.

"You okay mister?" A small boy sitting across from me ask.

I'm far from okay, but he's to young to understand. So I lied, like I do to everyone.

"Yeah, you play football?" I ask pointing to the brown muggle ball in his hands.

"Yes sir, I'm going to be the next Tom Brady." He pauses and looks at his mother who was knitting. The little boy leans forward and covers his mouth to loudly whisper. " 'Cept I'm not gunna marry a icky girl. Can't risk cooties ya know."

I chuckle softly and smile. Hell if my wife was stack like Brady's I'd risk cooties. Again can't say things like that to an eight year old?

"Can't blame you, heard cooties are the worst." I say and he nods in agreement with me.

"You talk funny, like the boring movies ma watches." The boy says looking at me with a grin missing a tooth.

"Nate." The mother finally noticed her son talking to a stranger. "I'm so sorry sir, don't be rude." She chastised him and he just shrugs.

"It's okay ma'am, he's probably just bored. It's been a long trip."  Honestly I like kids, they're honest.

I spend the next hour talking to them. They're visiting the woman's parents. The little boy liked football and reading. He showed me a book filled with adventures with a small yellow puppy. When the bus pulled to a stop I help them with their luggage.

"Thank again, he can be a handful." She said with a kind motherly smile.

A loud horn got my attention. It came from a light blue truck. Potter was standing beside it waving like a maniac and honking the horn though the window.

"Looks like your ride is here. Try to enjoy your trip dear." She said as I said my good byes and walk over to him.

"Still playing hero Cedric?" He asked as he patted my back in a warm greeting.

"Just being a gentleman, Potter."

"No luggage?"  He asked getting into the truck. I nodded and got in.

"Extension charm." I said as I patted my small leather messenger bag.

"So how's it going Mr. Champion?" He ask as we headed down an old road.

"Just living the dream my friend." I responded dryly.

"Ah that great huh?" Was his response as he gripped the wheel tighter.

"Yup." I smacked as I looked out the window at all the trees.

"Still having nightmares?" He probed like the good doctor he was. I growled and switched on the radio. Some obscure muggle song filled the cab.

"I'll take that as a yes." I glared at his smiling face. We listen to the radio until we pulled into a gas station. The attendant came out and began pumping the gas.

"Dr.Potter good to see you again." He greeted my friend and they exchanged pleasantries while I slipped off to the restroom. After I got out I leaned against the wall to have a cigarette. The harsh burn helping keep my thoughts on the present. When I finished I got back into the truck.

"Be sure to tell her my grandson loved the books." The old attendant said as he waved us off.

"Will do George.Tell Martha hello from us." He waved as we drove off.

"How much longer?" I asked in probably not the nicest tone.

"About another hour and half. My folks place is on the edge of nowhere." He flipped the radio back on. A new song played.

"Why the hell would they do that?" Trying to keep up pleasantries but I think I used all my energy on the bus. That's the thing I like about Potter is I don't have to try to be okay. He knows I'm not.

"My family has always had the summer home in the states but my folks decided to live here full time. Thought it would be good for us ankle biters." He explained, there was always something he kept back when talking about his family. I'm still surprised he asked me to visit as private as he is about them.

" Ah yes, the elusive Harriet." I teased and he rolled his eyes.

"It's Hermione and you know that, prick.You make it out to seem like she's some imaginary friend I dreamed up." I did know her name, but he's mentioned her only a handful of times in the years we've known each other.

"I don't know maybe she some she-beast troll that you've locked up in a dungeon." I know she isn't, one of the few things he's mentioned is that she pretty.

"I wish she was, I'd feel a lot better about being gone so much.Speaking of which I just got news that I could be back in England soon, the Cannons have asked for me again." He seemed hesitant like I would yell at him.

"So my visit my be cut short?" I really hated traveling like a muggle.

"Actually no, I mean not if you don't want to. My folks offered you the guest house as long as you want. It's where I've been staying." A guest house, as in they have two houses. I gave him a look.

"I might be a little better off then I lead you to believe." He explained as we pulled up to a large black and stone gate. He pulled his wand out and said a quiet spell making the gates open. He drove though the gate and the gate closed behind us.

" Shit. More like a lot better off. Are you sure it's okay for me to stay? I'm not really going to fit in damn high society. " I'm already regretting agreeing to come.

"We don't fit in either, we participate but we don't fit in." He explained pulling his truck in front of the large estate in between a old green Jeep and some fancy car I couldn't name. "Looks like grams came for lunch."

"Who's Jeep?" I asked pointing to the beautiful green vehicle.

" Oh that's Miones, though she barely uses it." He said as we walked into the house. A man in his forties was sitting by the door reading a paper.

"Hey Walter, they in the living room?" Parker asked the man he looked at him with an amused smile.

"Dining, discussing the menu for next week luncheon." He went back to his paper.

"Grams driver, ours too I guess but mostly Grams. He maintains the cars and stuff." He explained as he walked though the large hallway. "Just leave your bag there, we'll grab it on our way to the guest house."  I dropped my bag and followed him though the house.

"You gonna draw me a map for this place." I asked as he weaved though the large estate. He opened some big wooden doors to a large room. A large table was in the center and two women were sitting talking to a couple others that where standing. They were pointing at napkins and pieces of paper. Potter cleared his throat to gain their attention. They both looked up and smiled. The older lady got up and cane towards us with the help of her cane. The other woman dismissed the others and they left though the back door.

"Harry dear, you made it before dinner." The younger lady said as she gave him a hug. She had the same bright green eyes that he had. She must be his mother.

"This most be the famous Triwizard champion Cedric Diggory." The older lady said as I shook her hand .

"Just Cedric ma'am." I drawled and she smirked the same way Potter did.

"Now Harry you did tell him he's welcome to stay as long as he wants. I'm Lily by the way." She gave me a hug and I tensed up. Here comes the confused but understanding mom smile.

"Yeah ma, where's dad and Mione? shouldn't she be here helping you plan?" He asked looking around like she was going to pop out from under the table.

"You're dad is still at the hospital and Hermione is on the beach I think. Something about perfect light to work in." She waved her hands about wildly while talking. This is where he gets his energy from. "Now do you two want lunch, I can make a few sandwiches."

"We can make some in the guest house mom, Cedric probably wants to get cleaned up and rest before dinner." He said as he left the room.

"Thank you for inviting me Mrs.Potter but I am tired. Been on the bus for a couple days. I am sorry to miss lunch with two beautiful ladies. When should we come for dinner. " I tried to make up for Potters rude behavior.

"Oh don't worry we're use to him. Dinner is at seven, if you could remind Hermione that on your way to the guest house. I'd appreciate it." She kissed my cheek and fluttered off to the paper work and napkins she left.

"So Just Cedric, walk me to my driver. I want to change before dinner." She put her free arm up and I let her lace her arm in mine as we walked back down the grand hallway. "Harry says you've been at your family's home for last couple years."

"Yes ma'am." She had the same mischievous look in her eyes that Potter had.

"Hmm, that's nice. Family is important. Do you know how long you'll be staying with us?" She was interrogating me but I let her.

"Not sure ma'am, my dad died last winter so it's just me. Potter invited me to figure out what I want to do next." I explained wishing the hallway was shorter.

"So going back to The Cannons is not an option?" I know she was curious and I couldn't blame her.

"No ma'am. My quidditch days are behind me ." We finally reached her driver and she gave me a wave as he escorted her to fancy car. Picking up my bag I walk around the house to see a wood stair case leading down to the beach. I see Harry half way down the path so I follow him.

"Potter wait." I yelled and for once the prick listened to me.

"Sorry, just wanted to get the house I'm expecting a call. Ginny promised. Just follow the path to the guest house." He pointed towards the winding path.  "About fifty feet from the house it forks to the left and that'll take you to the beach. " He then took off running. Which I hate because he knows I can't run like that anymore.

"Okay, guess I'll find my way." I said to the wind since my friend had left me. When I reached the fork he mention I remember Mrs.Potter asking me to remind her absentee daughter about dinner.  I shrugged and headed towards the beach. It was a clean and the sand was light. Patches of tall grass here and there. A light wind kept the salty sea smell in the air. Under a tree was an easel set up with a small figure in front of it. A large dark hat covered her hair and she was wearing a navy blue dress and no shoes. A raven was sitting on her easel picking at its wings.

"This is a private beach." Her voice startled me. It was a sweet voice but  sounded upset by me intruding. The raven stared at me and made an unsettling guttural sound.

"Mrs.Potter sent me to find her daughter." I stammered hoping she would turn and look at me. The raven flapped it's wings squawked at me.

"Oh, you must be Cedric, Harry's friend." She still hadn't turned around and continued painting. The raven fluffed it's feather some more. I continued to stare at her painting as I leaned against the fence post behind her.

" You must be Hermione,Potters sister." I pulled out my muggle cigarettes and put one in my mouth.

"Mother sent you to remind me dinner is at seven." Her painting was a happy little picture of boy and a familiar yellow puppy. Didn't quite match the painter persona. I pulled out my new zippo lighter when the raven made a shrill sound and took off from the easel. It grabbed the zippo out of my hand and returned to the easel dropping the lighter in front of her.

"What the hell?" I yelled slightly terrified of the black devil bird.

"Sowerby it isn't nice to steal. Sorry about that he normally picks mine up for me." She picked my mine up and turned around to return it to me. Potter said she was pretty. He fucking lied. This petite woman was beautiful, probably the most beautiful damn thing I had ever seen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.6K 1.7K 47
The fourth year at Hogwarts opens with an unexpected event. After organizing the Quidditch World Cup, the ministry will announce another very importa...
4K 78 38
Angel and Ocean are two sister, Ocean has an eternal crush for Angel's best friend, Cedric. When they arrive at Hogwarts, everything change, will som...
37.2K 983 26
[COMPLETE] [BOOK ONE] In Hermione Granger's fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, she finds herself falling for the most popular...
3.1K 99 13
Draco and Harry are back for repeating their 7th year. As inter-house unity and roommate mashups have left certain brunettes and blondes tied in a k...