Illmatic Treasure

By teddylynette

~ Imprisioned by vision Pardoned by dreams Captive to potential I've found freedom in love An endangered spe... More

Illmatic Poetry #1
Illmatic Prologue
Illmatic 1
Illmatic 2
Illmatic 3
Illmatic 4
Illmatic 5
Illmatic 6
Illmatic 7
Illmatic 8
Illmatic 9
Illmatic 11
Illmatic 12
Illmatic 13
Illmatic 14
Illmatic 15

Illmatic 10

213 8 46
By teddylynette

"This is Harlem niggas! Y'all betta take that muhfuckin' shit to Queens,
ya heard? "

Are You Down? ..
Uptown Harlem

"Boy , boy Im tellin' you that girl was fine!" He exclaims like he put it on his moms, as his whistle flows throughout the barbershop's atomsphere. " I dont care if she wake up with crust in her eyes... Muhfuckin' nose running... She still one fine muhfucka to me." The head barber of the shop: The Spot 1 reminisces and brags on a young tender he saw at the food joint by the name of 'Hot Commodity' not too far from his place of business.
Every man that listens chuckles and laughs because, every story he runs is amusing in the way that he portrays it. They couldn't help but to hear his loud mouth.
"I'm tellin' you man on the real she's a nubian princess or sum. Her skin is kissed by the sun." Perry continued on as he finished off his client's cut.

Perry Matthews, Pretty Perry that's what they call him.
You know the good wholesome neighborhood man that been around for years. The man that everybody and they momma have the juice for and can count on? The man that paid his dues to and for his people? Yeah, thats him!
You could say he was sort of like that.
A stand up guy depending on who you ask.
They could relay: "Nah man, that nigga aint nothin' like that! "
They would throw salt on his name and tie him under the bus.
He was trying though, trying.

Pretty Perry used to be a P back in the day.
So, when Breeze strolls from the back of the shop after one of his regulars.
He wasn't surprised about the conversation at hand. He shook his head amused with a smirk upon his face; some things never change.

Breeze's client dapped him up all the while slyly slipping a hundred into his palm.
"Thank you for fixin' my edge son. My shit was all the way fucked." the young cat expressed relieved and satisfied sporting a goofy smile.
"No doubt lil' dude... I told ya peanut headed ass not to sit in nobody else chair."
Breeze taps the back of the teenager's head as, they chuckle.
"My fault, my fault B, he apologize as they walk to the glass door, yo I learned my lesson forreal big bruva Breeze."

This lil' dude by the name of Amir had called up to the shop two weeks before hand buggin' out to Breeze; about how a wack barber who will remain nameless scalped his Puerto Rican waves. It seemed like lil' dude's world was flipped upside down as, he ranted in english and spanish.
Breeze being the informative dude he is had to simmer and slow Amir up. The lil' dude was damn near in tears.

Breeze told Amir that he had to nurture it with a mixture of castor oil and coconut oil every night until his appointment date; massaging it in.
Learning that routine from his fiancée Ronnie. Her hair would grow back dumb fast just for her to wack it off again.
He would call her ass backwards but, he couldn't front he loves his lady's short cut.
Also , he had to cover his head until it grew back. Amir followed his advice to a T even rockin' his satin durag in the blazin' heat.
Coppin' every color to avoid being riffed on by his homies.

"Ahite, lil' nigga imma see ya cool ass next week " Breeze tilted his chin up looking down at Amir as if he was saying: "Don't go straying off."
Amir chuckles running his hand down his deep moisturized waves.
" Yea , big bruva B imma catch you next week. Im outtie G. " Amir promises.
"Next week Amir or imma have to beat dat ass !" Breeze joked yellin' out the door before Amir could get too far.
He strolled over to an empty station in the front of the shop taking a seat in the barber chair on the side of his Unc' with a smile so serene. Instead of going to his private area in the back. He loves his job another form of art for him; hookin' his people up with any request. The daps of appreciation and returning put gratitude on his heart.
He felt like he was ' the man ' even though he already knew that. It feels good to be reminded sometimes.

Breeze tuned back into the conversation as Perry acknowledged him with a nod.
" Unc, what chicken-head got your mind gone now yo? " his raspy voice reached Perry as he set his client back for a shave. Breeze sat back fixing his gold chains sitting his black and red Air Jordans up on the part where your feet suppose to go.
" Aw, nephew dont start ya shit boy! " Pretty Perry groans as his russet, reddish-brown toned forehead crease.
A mischievous glint shown in his eyes as well in his smirk that slowly reveals itself.
Breeze felt like a lil' kid everytime he jokes around with his Unc' Perry.
This twenty-seven year old kid had time today.

He smacked his teeth as he watches Pretty Perry apply shaving cream to the man's face. He just wanted to talk his daily dosage of shit a.k.a. foolishness.
" Come on Unc', I heard yo ol' ass up in here man. Talking 'bout she yo' nubian princess and shit! " Breeze exclaims getting chuckles out of the other barbers and customers that were getting cut up or waiting; paying attention or not.
" You still got it like that, Unc? You know you been out the game for a while now. "
Breeze says referring to Auntie Zemora.

Unc' stops mid shave with a look of disbelief onto his smooth features.
" Fa' that lil' puss-aay , he dragged moistening his lips, shhiiiid
I'll fall, hop, and skip back in the game like I never left. " Perry boosts as if he were insinuating: Nephew stop playing with me before I wild out! Breeze held his composure as he held his fist up to his mouth while pointing his thumb in his Unc's direction repeatedly joked out.
" Yo , my mans say he got them Viagras for the pussy. "

" Yo-you gahdamn right I do! " He yells letting the cat out of the bag walking away from his client; the razor still in his hand.
" I'll pop two of them muhfuckas just to work her fione ass out! Then the booty was like: Kapow! Plick-idy pow , plick-idky pow! " He explains rounding his hand out for imagery.
Perry captures everyone's attention to witness what he would do next. His current client even sat up some to peep.
" Unc' - "
" Nah , Perry's deep voice carried through the whole shop, everybody pay attention because imma only do this shit once! " Perry commands windening his legs.
" Imma put y'all up on game. This is an exclusive baby! I'a have her beautiful ass coming back to Pretty Perry everyday of the week from this move right here. "

Abruptly Perry starts to leap across the waxed wooden floor in a squat position with his hands out like he had a woman's wrists in a vice.
Laughs and yells of all sorts fills the place over Perry's Nikes skidding across the floor with each hop and one, two hunch he would execute repeating the words:
" Take it , take it! "
Breeze and everybody else was outdone as they laughed together.
Breeze's hands clapped while his leg bounced up and down. The biggest smile stretches across his face revealing his bottom golds. He was not expecting Unc' Perry to take it that far.

Perry continued on as the men cheered him on. " She not ready for my mans! She not ready! " Perry's client yells out dying of laughter as his shoulders and belly bounce up and down.
" I cant believe this! , Breeze shook his head wiping tears from his eyes, Unc' stop that shit foo'. " Perry let chuckles go as he laughs at hisself stopping to situate his fit.
" Gahdamn I still got it, he clapped amused, and thats how its done nephew. "
He said with pride.
" Yeah, ahite Unc'... I aint doing that shit, G. " He mumbled incoherently as they slapped hands.

Everyone calms and settles down as the atomsphere goes back to normal.
ESPN plays in the background underneath the buzz of clippers and the flipping of capes as the remnants of men's hair falls on the dark waxed chestnut wooden floor.
Breeze checks the time on his gold face diamond incrested Rolex .
" Where this nigga at he already late? " he murmured stretching his arms out.

The bell to the shop's door rings as it opens and closes.
" Yo, wuzzam! What y'all got goin' on? "
Pretty Perry turns his head to the being that begins to gravitate closer. He recognizes that accent from anywhere.
Unc' Perry's smile is contagious as Darnell smiles back. Him and Breeze speak at the same time.

" Nephie number two, Perry pulls him in for a hug after dapping him, where you been boy? " He slaps his back before releasing him.
" Damn yo, 'bout time you get here foo'. "
Breeze slap his hand; stretching before they go to the back.

Darnell scratches his scalp with his short nails ruffling his blonde curls.
" I been busy Perry mayne, tryna get everything in order for my business. You know how that go. " Unc' nods understanding as, he uses this method called ' plucking ' to get the unnecessary hair from around the man's box cut.
They make their way to Breeze's section in the back.

Breeze lets Nell go ahead and get seated. " Yo, Unc' Perry. " he calls out chuckling. " What's up nephew? "
Pretty Perry glances at him for a second rubbing alcohol around his client's edge from back to front.
" I'm tellin' Auntie Ze on you, G. " Breeze cackles walking through the curtain to the back of the shop.
" Get the fuck outta here! " Perry barks annoyed.

Darnell

My daddy always told me: "Anything that's easy is not worth keeping, Darnell.
Now the things you gotta work for; hard work . It's worth it and worth keeping for a lifetime. If you want it bad enough, son you gone get it fasho." As I sit back lounging on the black leather couch in my newly purchased nightclub (built to entertain about eight hundred people) reminiscing. I finally feel like Im doing something right by myself.
Nobody gave me an onion or a quarter for this place. My place; a smile of victory stretch over my face.
My daddy would be so proud of me mayne.
This was his dream his end all be all, owning his own nightclub in New Orleans , Louisiana where Im originally from.
Watching him work day in and out to provide along with my momma, Shaniece.
She was by his side all the while saving and saving. My vision starts to blur as I chuckle hearing his voice.

" I gotta get the money, I gotta get the money! Nell Im gettin' it out the mud boy... Thats the only way I know how to make shit happen for us. I'll stumble but I'll neva' fall , believe that. "
He would say with conviction etched on his face. I would eat all that knowledge up keeping it in my mental for when I needed it. Choppin' it up on the porch with my daddy was the best part of my day.
It mold me into the man I am today.

Tears of happiness rain upon me as I clear my throat of them.
" I kept the train rollin' like we talked about daddy. " I took a swig from my glass of Hennessey. " Im about to have our place Shaniece's jumping.
She gone be on the map in the city fasho.
I miss you all the time mayne. Imma make you proud. " I spoke out loud nodding my head in agreement. I can see it now.
I got this in the bag! Also, having my brothas Monroe and Breeze in my corner its about to be a cakewalk.

* 45 Minutes Later.. *

I whip on the low in my fresh '94 dark knight FIAT Coup down the streets of Harlem. To the barbershop to let my mans Breeze get my shit right.
Nodding my head to the beat of Craig Mack's " Flava In Ya Ear ".
This record is the move. Craig Mack might of just did somethin' for the city.
His flow aint garbage so Im goodie.
Puffy got a monsta' on his hands.
I put it in my mental to book dude for the grand opening of Shaneice's as I pull up on The Spot 1.

" You sho' you wanna go through ol' girl? " I question Breeze again just to be sure.
We in this game together, Imma always support, and look out for my mans. I could of made moves for Breeze with my plug but, he was like nah.
" Yea its legit . Ava not moving funny dawg. She gone come through for the boy." Breeze assures as he continues to edge my line up.
" You know ion trust that broad she so hot and cold, B. " I confess in a irritated manner.

" I got you if she go left. We already made room for the yams at the house. "
Breeze nods listening. " I got shortie in the bag and squared away. " Breeze let it be known without a doubt. I dont trust mixing business with pleasure; that shit is played. But that's my brotha' so you know.
" Everything good Nell man. I know you not going for it,but everything gone be copacetic." "Ahite, my nigga." Imma let it ride.

" Yo, you coming out to Ronnie's retirement party next weekend?
I gotta let you know before hand and shit so you can make room for us regular folks." Breeze chuckles as he takes off the neckstrip and cape from around my neck and front.
He right because for the last few months I been making moves to get the club together in time for the opening date.
" Relax, you know we gotta keep the money turning mayne; no days off! "
I said as Breeze rubs alcohol with the neckstrip along my hairline to kill germs and bacteria.

" I'm knowing foo' we eat and breathe that shit bruva. You know , every boss could use a break or two to party and bullshit; Im just sayin'. "
Breeze shrugs his shoulders as he hands me the mirror. I take a lil' glance I dont have to look for too long. I dont ever doubt my brotha's skills. " I know you keep my shit fresh and crispy so Im not trippen. I guess mayne. I might pop in to see what y'all got goin' on. " I say handing B the mirror back. Breeze shook his head chuckling as we clapped hands and I dropped two bills on his countertop.

" Right, right! I might have something set up for you. " he said rubbing his hands together. This nigga always got some fuckery up his sleeve.
" Dawg, relax what we just talk about bruh? " I stand as my beeper went off in my jeans. " Ahite man damn, Im done imma leave it where its at B. "
" The cream callin' you! "
Breeze yells as my beeper goes off again. He dusts the chair free of my hair.

" See I aint got time for no 'nani. The money showing me enough love, G. " I say occupied with the beeper seeing Monroe's phone number pop up. ' Its time to re up. ' "B, how you know Im talking about the pussy?" I smacked my teeth. When you a bachelor doing your own shit and your engaged brotha' always try to pop in to test out his matchmaking skills. I get my rocks off just fine bruh. He still not gone let up though.
' Not this foo'! '

" Son, thats all you talk about most of the time. " Breeze open his mouth to disagree but closes it back. He waves me off.
He know Im right.
" Im about to bounce out, B. "
We clap hands once again.
" Hit me about the yams and shit later this week yo. "
" Already Nell, I gotchu. "

Alijah

* Night time *

" Yo Alijah! " Erica's yell causes me to jump out of my skin as, I rinse the Noxema cleansing face cream off of my face.
" The part you fell asleep on last time is on ! " My knee hits the sink's draw
" Ow shit! " I hiss out in pain as I pat my face dry with a clean towel.
" Im coming! " I shout back as I jog to the stairs my satin slippers sliding across the white tile floor.

My eyes pop at the screen as Bishop : this physco from 'Juice' chasing Q down the sidewalk with a gat trying to smoke him.
" This dude is wildin'. " I mumbled running down the stairs. My foot misses a step almost making me tumble on my face but, I catch myself. My life just flashes before my eyes. I giggle trying to catch my breath. Erica quickly pauses the movie.
" What was that?! " She turns her head to me with a mouth full of popcorn.
" Nothing, I giggle embarrassed plopping on the couch next to her energetically, press play. " Erica eyed me like: ' You sure ? '
" It sounds like you almost bust ya ass though, you ahite? " We snicker at the same time as, I hug the fluffy throw pillow to my chest. " Chill .. " "Ahite."
She stuffs more popcorn in her mouth pressing play.

" Turn it up. " I mumble getting back into the movie. I went from bouncing on the couch in suspense from seeing what will happen next as, Q walks down the hall with a jacked arm being cautious I feel he was looking out for Bishop's crazy ass.
" He ain't got a gat now he wanna run off like alil bitty bitch ! " I talk to the T.V. as if they could hear me.
Erica lets out goofy snorts. " Girl Bishop can't fight! " She states as Q tags Bishop.
" On G, he definitely can not. " I mutter squeezing my pillow trying to see how this was gonna play out because, you neva' know with these movies.
Long story short I ended up droppin' a few tears. I know he was a fucked up individual but, shit I ain't want him to die. Well I guess one of them had to go.

"Alijah, I know you not crying now? " E questions in disbelief as she turns the television down as, the end credits roll.
I run my finger under my eyes to catch them. " Yes I am... You know I love Tupac. He went out sad too. " I sniffle a little.
I lay back on the sofa looking up at the star filled sky that the opening of the glass ceiling allowed.
" Girl, that nigga had to go! He was shootin' up his friends and shit. He was outta pocket! He even blamed everything on Q. You heard the man he said he didn't give a fuck about hisself and, he damn sure didn't give one care about his homies.
It was that nigga's time he had done too much as is. " "You right , you right! I guess you gotta love yourself. He definitely did not have not one ounce of love in his heart." A sigh flows from my mouth as I tousle my curls to one side.
" Shit alota young brown men need to love theirselves! Out here being foolish. They got a few Bishops around our way. I wish I could save them all but, the world just doesn't work like that. " E points out sipping her peach iced tea .

I roll my eyes slightly everytime we hangout men always pop up in our conversation somehow.
" Sis change the topic of conversation you making me sad as shit, E. Im about to be bawling my eyes out in a minute snot and all. " I express while chomping on a peach from my tea with slight sarcasm.
" Ugh, girl don't get funky now... You know I be having my I wish I could heal every nigga moments. " " Yea I know moms. "
I purse my lips goofily. Erica's mouth opens and closes appalled by those three words.
She slaps me with one of the sofa's pillows as my lips sputter together unable to contain myself.

" You think you fucking funny!, RiRi exclaims, you need to hop up on it and get you some. " She insinuates grinding like the freak she is. My left eye starts to twitch from beefcake withdrawl. ' Why she bringing up old shit? ' I hurriedly slap my hand over it to calm it. It's been mad long since I have had some special attention.
" Your nasty ass! Erica dont start... Im not fortunate like you. " " Mmmhhm , RiRi hums about to talk her shit , but you used to get dick all the time from- " I gasp loudly surprised my eyes growing in size.
" You betta' not! " I shriek, E smiles amused in pettiness.
" Im gonna say it! Chase... I know he was tryna throw dick your way jacked arm and all bitch! That nigga still loves you or whateva' ! "

My being runs over with embarrassment as my face scrunches in disgust. I stick my fingers in my ears as she continues on.
" La-La-La-La-La! Dont speak of such absurd things, I can't hear you ! I dont know who that is!" I sing loudly when I really could still hear every word.
" Oh my gosh you are so childish ! "
She chuckles pulling my finger outta my ear. " I'm done , I'm done. " She surrenders with her hands up as I turn the T.V. off on the way to the radio.
Christopher Williams' Every Little Thing You Do washes away all the wicked vibes of Chase. " Anyway!, I hop on the sofa crossing my legs Indian style, tell me about this new job. " I say giving E my undivided attention. Erica's features light up with joy revealing the biggest smile causing me to smile also.

" Well , she crosses her legs over the other, you know I always wanted to be a beautician in a beautyshop. When the opportunity presented itself I went for it! I start on two weeks from now. " I'm happy for you RiRi! Why you not starting Monday ? "
I question as we slap hands.
" Its a new joint so , you know how that goes. The grand opening and all that jazz."
" Oh, I tap the side of my head . I had a slow moment, I knew that ! What's the name of the place? " I ask intrigued because I've never seen E so excited about an endeavor unless it was about me. As in trying on some new fits that she copped for me or, a new lipstick or hairstyle to keep me instyle.

" Royalty Only baby like me! " She declares with the up most confidence.
"Ooooh , you fancy bitch! " I express just as she would as we hug eachother.
" You know I always wanted my own shop aside from being a personal stylist.
I feel like this is my chance to try it out to see if that's really what I wanna do and, I can build my clientele up while Im deciding you feel me?!" " Mhm, I hum thoughtfully as I sip my tea, I feel you! Im proud of you RiRi. " Erica grabs my hand in graditude lifting it up to eyelevel they intertwine.

" Thankyou , Ali forreal. " She croaks clearing her throat. " Un, uh girl don't start now. " I coo as her eyes fill with tears as our hands release eachother.
" You gone mess up that mask you have yet to wash off. " E gasps jumping up.
" Girl I forgot! " " Wait before you leave I have another question. " I say with urgency before she could take off running. " Wassup? " Erica stops at the stairs catching the involuntary tears and wiping them on her black satin nightgown.

" You still have room for me? You still my stylist? I don't wanna start over with nobody else. " I simp turning her way.
" Girl, you know I can't leave my Wallflower hangin'! Alijah I'm not going nowhere sweetheart. I promise. "
" Good, I smile exhaling loudly , because I wasn't letting you go without a fight. "
Erica sucks her teeth ascending the stairs.
" Whatever Ali, you somethin' else. " She rolls her eyes stomping up the last two steps. " I know! " I yell happily chuckling under my breath.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11 0 1
All she wanted was to see the sunlight, but who knew that smelling fresh air could lead to such consequences. Why was her freedom taken from her befo...
174 2 50
this is for you, my lost love, the one i never dated, the one that got away.
63 16 14
this time i cannot lose you please open your eyes please open your eyes why don't you love me every time you like to live me open your eyes please p...
695 64 39
"People came and went on and on But she stayed still, lost in her thoughts She knew she was drowning in the ocean of loneliness But never tried to e...