Winter Bliss

By 13twilightchick

More

Winter Bliss

17 0 0
By 13twilightchick

Another short story that I wrote in 7th grade :) So don't judge :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was a beautiful, sunny winter day when Tom arrived. Tim and Jim, who were four years old, twins, and best friends at the time, were playing outside in the snow. That was when Tom came. He was just about to turn 5 when they took him. He didn’t know what was happening but he wondered what all this white was coming from. Tom went out of the car and immediately saw Tim and Jim playing. He inched closer by the second. When Jim saw Tom he suddenly liked him. They both said hi and then, both started to play in the snow and chatter. Tim was all alone and could hear them chattering without him. He was all sad and alone when he started to feel something bad stirring inside him. That day on December 13th, 1987 two boys became best friends and both made an enemy.

            The Appleton’s house was the most colorful and cheerful house on Hickory Drive. The whole house was a mint color, with plum windows, and a coral colored door. The house was always bustling with noise. The fan stuttered when it was on in the summer. While in the winter there was always the soft aroma of chocolate cookies in the air. If someone wasn’t careful the floor would try to make them fall.

            All three brothers went to Clarkson School. Tom with his golden wheat colored hair fell in choppy lengths. Bright ocean blue eyes that most girls would say were endless. While everyone was bored or tired his eyes were always riveted on the teacher. When he enters the room, it was like the golden sun came into the room. Everyone starts to wake up and smile. Girls and boys would go up to greet him. He would joke around and everyone would laugh. Jim was almost entirely different.

            Jim was almost the exact opposite. With raven black hair that slightly curled. Big green eyes with a hint of violet. He would get impatient but, was always the first to apologize. When he entered next to Tom he was like the moon. Even though Tim was his twin, they were nothing alike.

            Tim always had a strange glint in his eye. He has Dark brown wavy hair cut short and hooded emerald eyes. On the first day of school the teacher noticed that Tim was staring at his brothers with a sinister look on his face. Everyone thought that he never ate because of his scrawny figure. You would usually find him in the corner writing on paper. One day chaos hit the Appleton family.

            On a fine winter morning the three brothers were in school. Just as Jim was about to raise his hand he felt something light on his hand. It was probably from Tom. Tom was always passing notes when he was excited about something. Well, it was the last day of school before Winter break and everyone was excited, except Tim. “These days Tim’s grown distant, and he was never excited for anything. I guess I’ll just see if I can talk to him in private” Jim thought as he was listening to the teacher talking. Everyone was waiting until Miss Waldencamp would announce that they could go home.

“Here it comes.” Jim whispered under his breath.

Then, when the teacher said to have a nice weekend in less than a minute everyone was gone except for Tom and Jim. Tom waited for Jim impatiently.

“Come on Jim! Tim’s going to eat all the Christmas cookies.”

 Jim quickly gave him a glare then turned back to packing up. When he was done Jim, walking briskly went out the door.

            “Bang” the door went as both Tom and Jim slammed it. Simultaneously they both ran to the cookie jar. They were quickly stopped by their mother.

“Where have you boys been, it is past seven o’clock and you boys just got home.”

 Tom stepped up and said. “Um sorry Ma we stopped and went to Carter’s house.”

 “Well, okay then, but now both of you go upstairs and wash up.” Tom quickly ran upstairs with Jim following.

 Right when Tom was going to start talking Jim silently raised his hand up to his mouth. It was their sign that they’ll talk in Jim room. They both quickly washed up and started to go to Jim’s room. Then, Tim came up to both of them and said

“Ma told me to tell both of you to go to your rooms.”

 Jim looking very mad grumbled something unintelligent and went to his room slamming the door shut. Tim then turning around glared at Tom. Tom slowly backed into his room keeping an eye on Tim. Both Tom and Jim both go to bed tossing and turning. As the stars smiled everyone in the Appleton family went to sleep.

            The next day at 4 in the morning Jim and Tom were both missing from their beds. They were both at Old Creek Hill talking to their friends. Jim had woken up Tom early in the morning and told him to get dressed. He said that they were going to go have a D&D contest.

 As Tom got dressed he thought “I wonder why Jim wants to do a D&D contest. He never did until now.”

 At the bottom of Old Creek Hill all their friends were pushing each other when Carter came. Everyone admired Carter. Maybe because he was gallant or he was the leader of their little pack. Anyway, as Carter scanned the faces of everyone he shouted “D&D!” Everyone started cheering and when they all quieted down Carter began.

“Okay everyone you know the rules so let’s begin. For today I dare… Jim and Tom. Both of you will together build a sled by hand, and then sled down this very hill.”

 Everyone had suddenly gone a loud quiet. Everyone knew that the last person that had done that had gotten seriously injured. As Tom and Jim discussed quietly they finally made a decision.

 “Let’s do it!” Jim cried out.

 Everyone cheered and started to laugh. One of the boys then realized they had to get back home. In one minute there was a blur of colors, then white snow everywhere. When the snow cleared everyone was already starting home, hoping they wouldn’t get caught.

            “There was no turning back now” Tom thought. He didn’t really want to do it but, Jim persuaded him. “Oh this was going to turn out really bad, I have that feeling.” Tom raced inside his house with Jim and noticed stacks of wood cut up in the back of the house. “Hmmm interesting, I wonder.” When Tom arrived at the house he was panting heavily from running so fast. “Come on Jim, hurry before everyone wakes up!” In two minutes both boys were changed and back to bed before the rooster went “cock a doodle doo.”

            Jim wakes up to the smell of bacon. “YUM!” he thought. Jim gets out of bed, and as his feet touched the hardwood floor he notices it was as cold as ice. Brrrrr. He brushes his teeth, changed his clothes, and rushed downstairs. As Jim clatters downstairs Tom wakes up.

He didn’t know where he was at first but then remembered. Tom couldn’t believe that he and Jim were actually going to race down Old Creek Hill. This was bad. Tom heard Jim talking to Tim and quickly went downstairs.

            As Tom walked in Tim became suddenly quiet. He hated Tom.

“Who was he? Coming in, an orphan and taking Jim as his best friend. Tom thinks he’s so cool but he’s not. Jim’s as bad too! Ignoring me all the time! I will have my revenge mark my words.” Tim said, but only in his head so nobody heard.

 Tom quickly glanced at Jim but he was eating bacon oblivious to the tension between them. Tim seeing Tom look at Jim finishes frying the bacon, puts it on a plate, and goes upstairs stomping his feet on the way.

            Jim finally looks up and says “Oh hi Tom. Come on let’s start building that sled.”

 Tom grumbled “I still can’t believe you persuaded me into building a sled, and sledding down Old Creek Hill.”

 Tom gives Jim a look and then they both go outside and slam the door with a “bang”. Tim hiding behind the door and listening says “Very good! Now how to create my revenge…” Tim then skips upstairs humming quietly with a devious smile on his face.

            Outside in the barn Tom told Jim about the wood in the back.

“That’s brilliant Tom!” Jim exclaimed.

 They both started heaving big planks of wood into the barn. All you could hear in the barn for ten minutes was “Huh, Huh, Huh, Huh, Huh.” After they had finished getting the wood, Jim and Tom got nails, paint, some metal, and cloth.

“That was some hard work right Jim?” Tom asks while breathing hard.

“Yeah, but not as much work as when we are going to make the sled. But remember Tom we have to finish the sled by tomorrow.”

 So then Tom and Jim brothers and best friends set to work. They had figured a plan, and they thought it was full proof. The sled was going to fit two people. They would nail the boards together and the top part would be slightly curved. Then using the cloth they would make four handles on the side. Next, using some metal and cloth they would make a steering handler. After that they both went inside to eat lunch. When they came back out Jim and Tom went right back to work. Attaching metal at the bottom of the sled made it go slightly faster. Lastly, Jim made a mechanic that would stop the sled. While Jim was building that Tom was painting the sled. When both boys were done they smiled looked at each other, both with a glint in their eyes and turned around.

            The sled was a one of a kind. With its rustic red handles, sparkling white metal, and a hazel surface it looked different. Both brothers thought it looked great and congratulated each other on the job.

“Now we wait for tomorrow!” Jim smiles.

 As Jim goes out of the door Tom glances at the sled one more time it almost took his breath away. Drawing his eyes away he slowly starts to close the barn door when he hears a noise. Tom quickly scans the room, seeing nothing he finally closes the door with a “Thump!”

            Tom had just finish closing the door when Tim crept silently out of his hiding space in the corner. He couldn’t feel his legs for a moment and almost crashed into his Pa’s big toolbox. “Finally alone, but that was close.” he whispered. Tim quickly set to work before anyone noticed he was gone, but usually no one noticed. He quietly scans the brake mechanism. Then as silently as possible loosens it up just a little bit. Tim then, greases the sled and the steering handle. After quietly packing everything up Tim sprints home.

            It was a perfect day for sledding. It had just snowed the night before and the snow was shining like crystal stars. Jim and Tom had just gotten the sled outside when Pa called for them. “I hope we’re not in trouble” Tom said with a worried expression on his face that could frighten everyone. Then both he and Jim sprint to the house worrying what would happen.

            The door slammed with a “crack.” and Jim and Tim both came inside rosy-cheeked and shivering. Pa and Ma turned toward them a little startled and both smiled brightly.

“Tom and Jim we have a surprise for you!” Ma cheerfully said

. “Your Ma and I, thought that the two of you have been extra good today we got you a……… puppy!” their Pa shouted.

 Both of them were both equally shocked. Tom quickly recovered then said

“Ma, Pa thank you so much. Where is the puppy?”

 Tom and Jim quickly gave each parent a hug then jumping up and down waited. Pa got up from the table went upstairs and then went back down.

            Skippy which was what everyone in the Appleton family had named the puppy was a cute fuzz ball. With his polka-dots and face he looked like a stuffed animal. When everyone was done cooing about Skippy, Jim took Skippy and brought him outside. Tom quickly said that they were going to go sledding with friends. Tim quietly while his parents weren’t looking followed. Jim softly set Skippy on the sled and started to pull. With Tom’s help they both pulled the sled all the way to Old Creek Hill.

            Old Creek Hill was almost deserted when the brothers arrived. No one went here because of what happened. Tom and Jim both saw Carter and started to pull the sled toward the group.

“Awesome sled. Cool. Nice.” Everyone said.

As they approached Carter everyone quickly got quiet.

“Tom and Jim are you ready?”

 “Yes we are.” Both replied.

 Slowly they turned around, grabbed the sled and started pulling it up. Sweat started to pour down Tom’s face like an avalanche. “It’s going to be fine. It’s going to be fine” He kept repeating in his head. When they reached the top, all they could see of Carter was a tiny speckle. The group went first with their store bought sleds. Tom firmly sat down on the seat and gripped the steering handle. Jim got on behind him and got ready with the brake.

“Ready?!?” Carter hollered.

 Tom couldn’t speak so he only gave the thumbs up sign. “GO!” They were off.

 Wind and snow blasted in Tom’s face. He couldn’t see a thing. All of a sudden a wild boar ran across the hill with Tom’s head following it momentarily distracted. He turned back around and saw Skippy at the bottom of the bottom hill and jerked the handle. Nothing happened. He jerked it with all his might but still nothing happened. “Jim. Skippy. Too fast. Brake. Hurry!” He hollered in short breaths.

            Jim quickly lowered the brake and it started spinning but then suddenly it dismantled in small black pieces and flew off the sled. Jim whipped his body back around and saw that they were about to crash. He yelled “JUMP!” Both he and Tom jumped sending the sled into the trees, nearly missing Skippy. “BANG!” The sound echoed so loud that it could be heard a mile away.

            Jim’s jacket was filled with snow and he had lost his hat. He stood and stumbled down the hill. Tom had lost his scarf, hat, and gloves. He also stumbled down. Both brothers nearly crashed into each other until Carter helped them. As Jim looked around he noticed that the hill was covered with yellow where they had sledded. Jim frowned and saw Tom frowning too. All of a sudden Jim was overcome with such anger he started screaming at Tom.

“Why didn’t you steer away from Skippy you big loaf!”

“No the real question is why you didn’t brake when I told you to brake!”

 Both brothers stared at each other red faced and smoke steaming out of their ears. Both brothers would not give up the fight. After a long amount of silence they noticed Carter and the group had left. Tom gave a glare of death to Jim and started gathering his stuff. Jim found his hat, took Skippy and left to go home.

As Tom was walking down the path fuming he thought to himself “It was all Jim’s fault. Not braking. Why should he blame me?” He then saw Tim walk out of the woods smiling and whistling. “What’s he doing in the woods?” Tom thought.

            It had been two weeks since the accident. Whenever Tom and Jim were in the same room there was a cold tension in the air. Tim and Jim had become closer too. One day when Tim was in the bathroom Jim was looking around Tim’s room. He saw a picture of them when they were four and smiled. He then saw a picture of Tom drawn with devil horns on him. Jim’s smile faltered quickly. He was just about to go back to his room to get something when he knocked over Tim’s bag. Jim started picking up the things when he noticed a screwdriver and olive oil. A frown formed on his face and then Jim’s eyes widened. “Could it be?” he asked himself.

            When Tim was done he went to his room and then froze in the doorway. “I wonder what are Tom and Jim discussing?” he wondered. Just as Tim was about to leave the room Tom and Jim both swiveled their heads and stared at Tim with a strange expression on their faces. Tim thinking he had no other choice turned and went into his room.

            “Did you wreak our sled Tim?” Jim asked quietly.

 Tim looked at both of them and sweat started to form on his forehead. He couldn’t take the guilt anymore.

“Yes. Yes I did.”

 “Why?” Tom asked.

 “Because you an orphan just came strolling in and became Jim’s best friend. Jim totally ignored me. So when I heard you guys talking to Carter I devised a plan. I set the Wild Boar so that both of you would get distracted. I also loosened up the brake and the steering wheel. Then I greased your sled so it would go so fast that it was uncontrollable. I guess I was kinda jealous that I didn’t get Jim all to myself.”  He finished flustered.

 Both Jim and Tom were silent for a long time. Then Jim said

“You could have told me Tim. I didn’t mean to ignore you.”

 Tom then says “Yeah Tim. I didn’t mean to steal Jim from you, it’s just that I was lonely and Jim wanted to be my friend.”

 Tim looking at both of them asks “Do you think we could all be friends?” Tom and Jim both break into a smile and nod.

They all start laughing like it was all some big joke. As Tom looked around he was suddenly overcome with such a peace that he had never felt in a long, long time. One he would never forget.

            Outside the snow was dancing to a classical tune. The trees waved in the breeze. Angels sung in the sky. The snow glistened like a million stars while it fell softly to the pleading ground. There was a cold chill in the air that only the Winter Queen could brew. Ah yes. It was perfectly winter bliss.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.6K 1.3K 34
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲/𝐧'𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭-𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬/𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...
87.5K 253 4
You and your husband decide to invite his friends over for the super bowl, but things take a wildly hot turn towards the end of the night
5.1M 45.2K 53
Welcome to The Wattpad HQ Community Happenings story! We are so glad you're part of our global community. This is the place for readers and writers...
251K 7.2K 130
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."