Children of the Water (Yander...

By Cloakedranger

It is told that a monster lives in the abandoned ruins by the village of Watergrove. Children are warned not... More

A/N: Responses to Comments/Questions
Village by the Ruins
Night Whispers
Beneath the Pools
Watering Inquiry
Some Clarity
A Walk in the Water
Dire Duty
Partner in a Deal
Key Findings
Life or Death
Night Escape
Bonded by Metal
New World
Staying Covered and Close
Advance into Darkness
Uncomfortable
Close at Camp
Second Arrival
Rough Ascension
Top Overlook
Instruction
Onto the Third
Abandoned Shadows
Near the Heart
Placing the Pieces
Warmth before the Storm
Snow Covered
A Strike of a Smile
Upon a Rumored Tale
A Court with Pixies
Screeching Halt
Smoke Filled Night
Masquerade
Smiling at Reluctance
Delicate Flower
Cold yet Warm
Conversation's Clue
Fish in the Water
Discovering a Reaction
Night's Taste
Falling Catch
Hidden Pages
A Mark of Fear
Runaway Fish
Risk with a Bet
Concealing Retreat
Ruined
Last Chance
Unconscious Return
Angered Relief
Loosened and Restrained
Caught at Night
Out by the Water
Upstream Quiet
Falling Stars
Snow Pixies' Trouble
Sorrow of Tails
Dreadful Awakening
Coming to Council
Something Disclosed
Something Stolen
Bring to Save
Future Circumstance
Inspecting
A Spy's Spy
Strike and Fly
Infiltration
Around the Water
Hidden Views
Gazing
Nearer to the Edge
Down into the Abyss
Flight
A Surprise of Warmth
Dancing Waves
Dangerous Exit
Covered View
A Dreadful Display
Careful Steps
Execution's Break
Caught
Going to the Main
An Undesirable Lesson
Magic's Arrival
Dual Dislike
Interrupted
Water Run
Final Opportunity
Return
Epilogue
A/N:
Published Copy!
New Cover

Bargain Struck

3.7K 223 95
By Cloakedranger

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Unable to bring herself to her feet, (f/n) closed her eyes for a moment. She focused on regaining her breath and fought back the pain that swelled in her body. Going against him after the use of the nickname had been like jumping into a roaring fire. It bit at her skin before it traveled throughout her entire body. (F/n) brought her hands up to her arms. Her gaze focused on her unconscious partner.

Right now, he looked peaceful enough. His breath was steady, and the rage in his eyes was sealed off. One of his daggers lay nearby: a few centimeters from his fingers. Despite the quiet and calm that seemed to take over the area, she knew that the consequences of her actions would be great. When he woke back up, a beast ensnared by the burning flames of outrage would most likely greet her.

Earlier that morning, he had explained to her that he wouldn't turn that fury onto her, but it was so easy to replace the image of the murdered kelremm in her dream with the pixies. It was simple to see him attack her with that sickening grin. Despite the horrific images piling in her mind, she knew that she had made the right decision. If he had attacked, they would both be dead or soon to be dead.

Perhaps, there would've been another way. They could've remained by the door and waited for Tergii and Bimaa; they could've planned a surprise attack and taken out the mage first before the mage could cast a counterattack. Tarhuinn, though, had to stay in the water. Due to that weakness, a sneak attack would be near impossible. The outcome would've most likely been the same had he fought against the pixies.

Taking in a deep breath before exhaling, she clenched the fabric of her pants. She looked up to the pixie queen. "What exactly did you do to him?"

"I placed him into a winter's sleep. As the snow pixie queen, I'm gifted with such a power. I would've used it long ago on that mage with Tergii and Bimaa if it weren't for their magic's protection. Regardless, he'll awake by mid-afternoon, but we'll have him bound by then. We can't have him chasing after you in a rampage. As I'm sure you know, his temper will destroy you both if he isn't watched carefully."

"I'm aware of that," (f/n) answered, quietly. She received a nod from the queen before Tarhuinn's daggers were ordered to be removed from him. As the pixies undid his weapon's belt and picked up the lone dagger, she called out, "Wait! Let me take them with me. They might be useful against this mage."

The king gave her a look as though she were a foolish child. "You're to bring him back to us if he truly is a mage. You can't convince a mage to work for you at the point of a blade. You'll be killed before your blade ever reaches them. Besides, threatening them with death would be senseless. A dead mage will serve us no purpose against the other."

"It would only be meaningless if he were to discover that I had no choice in keeping him alive," (f/n) countered, finding an extra means of protection only a benefit to this mission.

"As soon as you mention that you want him to serve under us, he'll understand the situation. He'll understand that you made a deal with us. From that deal, he'll make the connection that we threatened your life and that your only option is to bring him to us. That is why should you ask him to come here at the end of a blade, you'll only ending up killing yourself."

"If he'll understand that connection and he kills me, wouldn't he just come after all of you next? You did mention that he was unstable if dealing with anyone outside of his tastes. He'll be quite angered if he learns that pixies sent me over."

"Perhaps, but would a man who seemingly can't handle interactions with anyone outside of his liking really travel out of his way to deal with pixies, who only sent him someone that qualifies in his field of taste? Let alone a beautiful young woman who has yet to consummate her marriage. If anything, the only one who'll anger him is you."

She froze and felt a light dose of heat hit her cheeks. "How did ..."

"Our scouts have told us of how easily you get embarrassed around your husband," the queen cut in. She flew gently over to her throne chair and seated herself. "Not to mention that you have innocence hidden behind that determination of yours. It's an innocence that can only be spotted in a virgin."

"How long were you watching us? I take it that Ilexa's greeting with us was actually planned as well."

"We were watching you ever since you came through that door. Our scouts patrol this forest far and wide. If we were to only stay knowledgeable of this confined space of ours, we would be opening our arms wide to harm. That doesn't matter right now, though. What does matter is that we need a mage to fight against a mage, and you're our ticket to that. You fail, and you'll be probably killed by him. If you somehow escape, you can turn back the way you came or die by our hands.

"Your husband's life is also in your hands. If you fail and you die, he will try to kill us, which will cause us to kill him. If you fail and turn back the way you came, I doubt that your husband will walk away without spilling blood. Your best option is to succeed, and success should be your only worry right now. As my husband recommended, I suggest that you convince this mage by other means than threatening his life. Besides, you have a dagger on you already if you really desire to take that route. At least, I presume so since one is missing from your husband's collection."

Her hands tightened more around her pants. "Why would you even want a mage like that protecting you? I asked this before, and I still wish to know why."

"Protection is protection, and he's a means to fight those that we despise. My kind's lives are more important to me than judging a mage's choice for hobbies," the king responded.

"And if this man turns out to not be a mage? What then?"

"Then, you don't have to worry about convincing him. From that point, your objective should be to escape him and turn back the way you came. Otherwise, if you try to proceed forward, we'll kill you. We'll promise you a quick death, though."

"So, my only option to go after Tergii and Bimaa, then, is hope that this man is a mage and that I can convince him somehow. How do you expect me to do that if I shouldn't use a knife?" she asked both royals. (F/n) knew the answer, but she was hoping that there would be some other option that they would give.

"We've hinted at that enough for you, my dear. Charm him well enough, and you may be able to persuade him to help us and not kill you. I would offer you some time before going to the cabin so that you could have a night with your husband, but your husband would probably still be unstable if we were to wake him. Not only that but also your innocence is an advantage to this task."

It seemed like her blood went still as her vain hope crashed into a sea of oblivion. The only thing that kept her from falling into that ocean as well was the reason for her going on this journey. It was a fight to live longer. She couldn't let terror reign over her mind; she would find another solution, another way to convince this mage.

Picking herself up to her feet steadily, she forced herself to stand. Her mind begged her to go over to Tarhuinn and lay next to him until he woke up, but there wasn't time for that. If she were still here when he woke up, she might not be able to go through with this deal.

Staring to her left ring finger, she grasped the metal there. She slipped the ring off and held it out to the royals. "Will you two hold onto this ring for me? This mage doesn't need to see it. I know the story that I'm going to craft."

Getting up from her throne chair, the queen flew over and took the ring. She set it at the base of her chair. "We'll watch over it for you. Are you ready to go, then? If so, we'll have some of our scouts guide you part of the way."

"Are you certain that he's there now?" (f/n) questioned, untying her cloak and dropping it to the ground. She couldn't have one for her plan. Her story needed to be as believable as she could make it.

"We've had our scouts watch this man ever since we've heard of his arrival. These scouts confirmed yesterday that smoke rises from the cabin's chimney," the king answered, looking to her fallen article of clothing. "Shall we watch over that as well?"

"Yes. Give it to my husband as a blanket to keep him warm. Now, how much time do you suppose I have before Tergii and Bimaa return this way?"

"Two to three weeks. If I were you, I would take only a week to settle this matter. You don't want to accomplish this task only to have Tergii and Bimaa return here. You'll want to be well on your way to their homes when they come back to our territory."

Agreeing with the king, she stated that she was ready to go. Several snow pixies flew over to her and signaled for her to follow. She gave one last look to Tarhuinn before she trailed behind the five pixies.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.1K 899 16
When a young girl comes by and catches a certain man's eye, what will he do? Will he close up and not let her see the beast that is within him, or w...
639K 42.4K 86
This is the second book in "The Infectious Series." Please read my book "Infectious Intent" first before reading this one. Link: https://www.wattpad...
386K 20.5K 55
Finally graduated from college at the age of twenty, (F/N) (L/N) attains her dream job at a famous toy store. Enchantment and beauty await her, but w...
334K 17.5K 63
-This is a sequel to the story A Dimensional Tune (Yandere Twins x reader) - You have been with the brothers for over a year now, yet they still tor...