Ace

By voif1d

Someone is picking off young government agents at Ellison High. Unable to trust their own, they bring in an o... More

How it Works
Prologue
Stage 1 - Hello, Goodbye
Stage 2 - Raven
Stage 3 - Answers = Questions
Stage 4 - Back to Ellison
Stage 5 - Dorm 3
Stage 6 - A Warm Welcome
Stage 7 - Knowledge = Questions
Stage 8 - Old Friend
Stage 10 - Into a Tiger's Lair
Stage 11 - A Plan in Motion
Stage 12 - Contact
Stage 13 - Another Crumb
Stage 14 - A Reckless Escape
Stage 15 - Becoming a Patient
Stage 16 - Gifts Galore
Stage 17 - Winding-up
Stage 18 - Let the Games Begin

Stage 9 - Ally?

594 48 31
By voif1d

"Stop yapping like girls and get on with it!" Coach Orion yelled.

Boys dressed in football jerseys and cleats jogged by.

"If only there were girls running with us," a team member muttered as they all picked up their pace. "I would be a whole lot more motivated."

"Yo, Lucas!" Nathan waved as he passed.

More greetings followed, and the ECHO agent found himself high fiving each boy as they eagerly lined up to touch palms.

"You missed us that much?" Pete teased.

"Just making sure you're all still able to play," Lucas shot back as he and Brian walked alongside the field.

"Bah!" came the response as he gave the final high five and the boys jogged out of earshot.

"Lucas!" Coach Orion shot him a smile and a wave.

Lucas returned it.

"Aren't you popular," Brian muttered.

"It comes with the looks," Lucas told him nonchalantly.

Brian shot him a sidelong glance, looking him up and down. With a grunt he turned away, looking anything but impressed.

"Hey," Lucas protested as his roommate picked up his pace and headed for the bleachers. "I've been told I'm quite the heartbreaker!"

"More like a carnivorous plant," Brian said.

Lucas opened his mouth to protest. He closed it without a sound when he caught sight of a familiar figure.

A very beat up cardboard cutout stood next to the assistant couch. Lucas made brief eye contact with his own face before the crookedly taped head proceeded to detach itself from the body. The assistant coach grabbed it before it could plummet to the ground. He glanced at the running boys to make sure none saw the near disaster before. Satisfied, he tried to franticly stick the head back.

Grinning, Lucas joined his roommate on the bleachers. They sat far enough to be out of earshot of those below, yet close enough to hear Coach Orion yelling at the panting boys who'd just returned.

"How are you all already out of breath!" Coach's face turned beetroot at the effort it took to get his point across. "It's been five laps and you're gasping like fish out of water. Disgraceful!"

Someone muttered something. Snickers broke out.

"Jenson, that's an extra lap." Orion wasn't playing.

The boy broke free and trotted off.

"Obviously you're in need of some cardio training." Coach eyed the boys. "Suicides," he demanded.

Groans rose all around.

"Go!" the bark sent the boys scrambling into action.

They jogged to one end of the pitch. Coach Orion followed, whistle in mouth.

"Of all things to do, why did you choose the football team?" Brian's voice pulled Lucas' attention from the pitch.

The ECHO agent shrugged. "It was assigned."

Brian grunted before lapsing into silence. Lucas leaned forward, eyes returning to the team.

The shrill whistle sent the football boys sprinting. Upon reaching the first cone, they touched the ground before turning and running back.

"I was against you coming back," Brian decided to share.

Small talk. This time, Lucas didn't bat so much as an eyelash.

The first members of the team were already sprinting to the second, further, cone.

"I can't say I blame you," Lucas said.

The boy running an extra lap finished and joined his teammates.

"To be honest, I didn't expect to come back either." He leaned back with a sigh. "But what can I do?" His lips twitched. "I was especially requested."

Brian didn't reply.

Lucas shot him a playful grin. "If you're worried about me, I'm pretty good at what I do."

"Being bait?" Brian raised his eyebrows.

Lucas pointed a finger at himself. "Carnivorous plant," he reminded with a wink.

A chuckle escaped Brian.

"Move your lazy bones!" coach's yell made the boys trying to catch their breath leap back into action.

"You said there were two attackers," Brian finally got to the point.

Lucas nodded, his injured hand itching at the memory.

"No one's said anything," the other agent revealed.

Lucas turned, eyebrows raised.

"There was nothing in the report this morning about more than one." Brian met his eyes.

"Auden was there," Lucas read the question. "He can verify."

If he's allowed to talk, Lucas noted. But they are keeping things from the operatives...interesting. Why?

"Why wouldn't they report that?" Brian spoke the question aloud.

Lucas leaned back, resting his arms on the bleachers behind him.

"Why would they need to hide it?" his roommate continued.

"They don't think you need to know, or..." Lucas watched the boys take a break from suicides. "They know a whole lot more about the situation that they don't want you to."

Brian scowled, yet his lack of argument showed he'd already considered the option.

"Whatever it is, they haven't shared with me either." Lucas swiped at a pesky fly.

"If they don't share everything, more people will die," the frustration was evident in Brian's voice. "Up to now we've been told it's one attacker. If there's more, that changes everything."

"You're telling me." Lucas lifted his injured hand so the band-aid was showing. "I almost got a hole in my head to go along with this." He dropped it. "Have you asked?"

Brian shook his head.

"Why not see what they say?"

The other agent chewed his bottom lip.

"Then again, if they've kept quiet till now, they'll most likely not budge." Lucas tapped a finger on the bleacher. "This is getting more complicated than it needs to be." With a sigh, he tipped his head back to stare at the sky above. "Why am I wasting my time here?" he murmured.

Null, I need to find Null, the person and more pressing matter flashed through his mind.

"Could you find out?"

Lucas turned to shoot Brian a questioning look.

"If they tell me when I ask, could you find out what's going on?" Brian asked.

Interesting. Lucas leaned forward, eyes on Brian. "I'm pretty sure that your people won't be pleased if I sneak around not doing what I'm meant to."

"Like you're only acting as bait in the first place," Brian replied, not blinking.

Lucas rubbed the back of his neck. "Is it that obvious?" he questioned.

Brain raised his eyebrows in response.

"Can I?" Lucas shrugged. "Sure. Depending on how much you're willing to help would depend on how long it would take." He eyed his roommate. "Do I want to? Now that's another matter."

"You don't strike me as one to follow the rules," Brian challenged. "Surely doing something other than what you were told would be," he seemed to search for the word, "exciting for someone like you."

"Rules?" Lucas chuckled. "That has nothing to do with this." He jerked a thumb at himself. "I'm pretty busy. Unless this benefits me immensely, I don't have time to spare."

"But it does benefit you," Brian replied. "It can help speed things up, meaning you can head off and do whatever else you're so busy with sooner."

"You want me to leave so soon?" Lucas faked a hurt expression. "But we're only just getting to spend time together!" He threw and arm around his roommate.

Drawing away, Brian scoffed.

"Sorry, but unless it really benefits me, I'm currently not on the market," Lucas told him, face going blank. The sooner I'm done with this job, the sooner I get the memory scrub. The reminder was sobering. I can't afford that. Null needs to be found first. But there was also a part of him that wanted to know what was going on.

"So, if I found a way it benefits, you'd do it?" Brian's question surprised him.

Maybe I can get something out of this. Lucas scoffed. "You don't strike me as a rule breaker." He cocked his head. "Are you sure you want me to dig where your precious government may not want you to?"

Brian scratched his head, seeming to consider the question. His eyes hardened. "If it has to do with saving my comrades' lives, then yes."

"Comrades?" With a chuckle, Lucas stood. He stretched, eyes on the field where the team was now doing dribbling drills. His gaze landed on Nathan. The boy's black hair bounced as he weaved in and out of cones.

If Brian knows someone with access to the government database. He considered the idea. There'd be no traces back to me. ECHO wouldn't give it a second glance if they thought it was a government operative digging. He cracked his neck, well aware that Brian was still waiting on an answer. Finding Null is next to impossible...but any information could be helpful.

"If you can get me something, I'll find you your answer," he spoke, arms dropping to his side.

Brian's eyes narrowed. "What?"

Lucas looked up, shielding his eyes against the sun. It was already making its way lower in the sky. "Information."

There was a moment of silence.

"What type?" Brian sounded hesitant.

He's really not one for breaking the rules, Lucas noted in amusement. "Nothing much. Just some crumbs," Lucas told him. He turned his eyes on the other agent. "Think it over. Let me know when you decide."

Brian paused before giving a slow nod.

"Wonderful!" Lucas grinned. "Good talk." He nodded behind the bleachers. "I'm going to let the doctor take a look at this." He waved his injured hand. "Not that I doubt your sewing skills." He closed his fingers, ignoring the strain and shot of pain as a result. "But it would be nice to know for certain that I'm not adding to my collection of mementos."

He shot his roommate one last smile before bounding down the bleachers. Without turning, he gave a farewell wave. Then, he headed for the infirmary.

Though he doubted the doctor would answer, Lucas saw no harm in asking to see what information he could dig up. With Brian considering his offer, it wouldn't do any harm to be armed with information ahead of time.

"Come in!" Jim called after a single knock on Lucas' part.

"For a doctor, you seem to have a lot of free time," the ECHO agent commented as he entered the room.

Two beds, separated by curtains when patients were in, stood to one side.

Jim was standing by a small portable table. He snapped an even smaller drawer shut before turning, hands going into his white coat pockets. His eyes followed Lucas as the operative sat on the end of one of the beds.

"I heard last night was eventful," Jim spoke.

Lucas waved his injured hand. "Picked up a souvenir."

"You moved on your own," Jim said unsympathetically as he reminded the boy of one of the rules.

"Ah." Lucas lowered his hand. "Technically no. Auden was there."

Jim raised his eyebrows. However, he didn't comment as he proceeded to stride over. He motioned for Lucas' hand. The boy reached it out.

The ECHO agent watched in silence as Jim removed the band-aid. The doctor leaned closer, examining the angry red cut held together by neat stiches.

"Who sewed it?" he asked.

"Brian," Lucas responded.

"He's gotten better," Jim grunted. He let Lucas' hand go. "I'll give you something to prevent and infection." He reached to the small table. Opening the drawer, he pulled out a fresh band-aid.

Lucas leaned back, watching the doctor reseal the wound.

"You look tired," Jim murmured.

"Insomnia...or something like that." Lucas looked around. "Got any sleeping meds?"

Stepping back, Jim raised his eyebrows. "You asked for those a while back too."

"Something stronger this time."

The doctor eyed Lucas. "You sure you want to be medicated when a killer could get you?"

"I'm sharing a room with two of your operatives and how every many security systems. I doubt he'd make or risk it." Lucas pointed to his face. "I'd much rather take the meds than go around looking and feeling like a zombie. Exhaustion won't benefit anyone but the killer."

Jim let out a reluctant sigh. However, he turned for the row of cupboards at the back.

The ECHO operative watched in silence for a moment before deciding to break it. "I told you to share everything to prevent more deaths."

Jim's body language didn't change as he rummaged through bottles.

"You're hiding a lot," Lucas informed.

Jim turned, two bottles in his hand. "There are protocols. Rules." He handed the first bottle over. "Take one right before sleep, never more. Leave at least thirteen hours between dosages."

Lucas turned the meds over, eyes skimming the label that had the same instructions that he was currently hearing.

"They're fast, will knock you out immediately. But they should only put you into deep sleep for five hours at the most. No grogginess after, but prolonged usage might give you headaches." Jim leaned back. "I recommend you only use them occasionally and don't let anyone know."

"There's no trackers in here, right?" Lucas asked wearily.

Jim didn't reply.

The young operative grinned. "Then again, you don't need that with me on campus." His fingers curled around the bottle.

"Take these for a week." Jim gave the other bottle over. "One before every meal."

Lucas put the bottle down. "My guess," he returned to the earlier topic. "You don't know the killers, but you do know their reasons."

The slightest flicker in Jim's eyes gave Lucas the confirmation he sought.

Bingo. The teenager raised an eyebrow. "Just what did the government do to make someone go into their territory and kill their upcoming agents off one by one?"

"Concentrate on your job," Jim reminded him.

"I am." Lucas nodded to his hand. "Gave you a chance to catch two of the presumably one killer last night."

Jim sighed. "You really enjoy provoking people, don't you?"

"Just a little," Lucas replied with a sadistic grin.

Jim pressed his lips together. The man looked like he had something to say. However, in a moment, the look was gone. He opened his mouth when a shrill ringing interrupted. Smoothly, he turned to answer the phone.

"Infirmary," he greeted.

Lucas slipped the bottles of pills into his pocket.

Jim turned to the boy. He held out the old landline. "For you."

Not showcasing even a hint of his surprise, Lucas jumped to his feet. He took the phone from the doctor's hands.

"Lucas here," he sang cheerily.

Jim moved, going to a pile of papers on a desk nearby.

"You have a job," M18's voice replied just as cheerfully.

Lucas hesitated, eyes going to Jim who looked busy flipping through papers. Even if he wasn't listening, the phone was 100% likely to be tapped. The fact that M18 was calling directly meant it had to be urgent and that ECHO didn't think it was of any concern that the other agency heard. Then again, the later was aware that Lucas would be pulled when needed.

Lucas turned his back so Jim couldn't see his face.

"That was fast," Lucas murmured.

"I requested it," M18 replied, still cheerful.

The words were enough for Lucas to understand. The only reason M18 would do so was if the job somehow benefited their current search.

"I understand." Lucas glanced down at his injured palm. "How hands on is it?"

"It'll keep you busy. Two days," came the answer. "I already let your school know you're taking the days off."

Lucas didn't reply.

Busy. The word was used for jobs with high danger levels. His injury wasn't life threatening, nor would it prevent him from work, but it could be a hindrance depending on what exactly was required.

Lucas' eyes darted to where Jim was now signing selected paperwork.

The ECHO operative also had some more digging he wanted to do.

"When does it start?" Lucas asked.

"The car is on the way," M18 replied. "Jet is fueled and ready."

Lucas shifted his weight on one foot, eyes going to the band-aid.

Options

a) Go on the job immediately. If M18 chose it, it's important.

b) Find an excuse to delay the job and stick around to ask some more questions.

c) Don't go on the job and stay on campus.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 357 26
Teenage boy, Noah, had his life all planned out. Well, at least that's what he thought. Everything that happened before he graduated, was NOT expecte...
200K 6K 41
5 year old Hannah had a normal life. That was until her parents were murdered. 12 years later, Hannah Porter is back for revenge. She is a recruited...
Undercover By Marta

General Fiction

196 39 20
*THIS IS A CRIME FICTION BUT THERE ISN'T AN OPTION FOR THAT* ____________________________ There's no way to know how a case is going to go... You may...
317 6 14
Ethan Braxton a.k.a Fox is signed on to a mission he knows all to well. No one knows of his past and he keeps it that way for a reason. What he has d...