Just An Extra (Pokémon OneSho...

By Wyntex

Extras are never meant to be going up, taking part in major fights, or even being on top, they are just not f... More

jυѕт an eхтra

95 13 6
By Wyntex

The golden hues of Dewford Town shone brightly as early as 6am. The waves gently splashing against the docks of Dewford, aquatic Pokémon already up and ready to gather berries for consuming.

In these sultry days even the ocean breeze is hot. The shore is more reminiscent of opening an oven on baking day than standing on the sand, salty waves engulfing bare toes.

The water was gentle as Iria waded through it, the sunrise like orange paint on a blue canvas. The water was clean and soft. Gentle.

If Iria hadn't been a person growing up in the vicinity of the sea, and witnessed bad storms which claimed lives, Iria would have believed the facade. The water was powerful, with enough force to destroy and rival the land.

But then, the most innocent faces were the wildest. But today, the seas are warm and gentle as she swam laps with Meditite, the bipedal Pokémon swimming next to her. It was today, she will go on her self induced trial, to see whether she could reach the innermost part of Granite Cave, and finally start off her adventure. She had given up many times, and had to train harder, but now, she was ready, and able.

"Meditite, we're done, let's go!" Iria exclaimed as she finished her routine of 20 laps to the little island near Dewford and back. It would be the last day she'll do this. And then on, she'll go, to Evergrande City, after collecting badges.

Her house was situated near the Pokémon Centre, her warm and cosy house, soon to be left unattended, alone but homely. She had already packed her travel backpack. Not ever turning back.

Her late parents who had been lost in the storms would have wanted her to become the very best, as they themselves had almost became the strongest themselves. Only losing to Drake, now one of the Elite Four, a strong and stoic man.

Before the people of the town started to work and wake up, before this serenity is broken. She'll go into Granite Cave. And finally reach her goal, her goal that her family started with.

With that, she entered Granite Cave.

To enter the cave was to become engulfed in chilling blackness. The absence of light meant the absence of its warming touch. Underfoot the loose stones shifted, twisting her ankle one way and then the other, and the noise of those disturbed rocks echoed off the dense stone walls.

Ahead was the sound of water dripping into water. But even with a torch to cast light into the black crevices, there was no way to tell how deep it was or if her next step would take her into it's frigid depths. As afraid as she was she believed this a good place to lay low. The rock would hide her from the hostile Pokémon in the cave as she'd made her way to the mouth by walking in the edge of the lacy tide water, there would be no scent for the Pokémon to follow either.

Occasionally she'll trip and fall, but her Meditite is eveready to support her, she's very grateful for it, and always will anyway.

But even without scents off her, Zubat's Echolocation is as sharp as normal, fending off Zubat after Zubat. With a barrage of Karate Chops and Force Palms. It still hasn't dulled the Zubats relentless attacks.

"Meditite, dodge that Zubat!" Iria exclaimed, as a Zubat came through with Aerial Ace, an attack uncommon for a Zubat to have at this stage.

But instead of attacling Meditite who had no chance of dodging the attack, the Zubat instead attacked it's own kind. Shielding Iria from harm.

"What is that Zubat doing?" Iria asked Meditite, her trusting partner.

It shrugged and just watched on.

As the Zubats retreated back into the cave. The solitary Zubat, flapped it's little bat wings towards Iria.

Iria could've sworn, the Zubat just smiled.

Then she noticed the scar on it's ear, she recalled a memory from a few months ago when she took her trial.

"Meditite, this is too much, we can't do this," Iria had groaned in pain.

Meditite, which at the time was weak from the barrages of attacks by the Zubats, knelt down, her legs weak after defeating much Zubats.

"Well, looks like it's not time yet, Meditite, at least we made it further by avoiding the other Pokémon and lying low.

But at that time, the leader of the Zubat, the current Zubat, the one with the scar and staring at her now, didn't have enough, even though his posse has already been defeated, he wanted more.

So he used Air Cutter on the Meditite, but to his suprise, the trainer blocked the attack, with her bare hands, shielding the already weak Meditite, she got cut, but she did not care.

She then escaped the cave with the bipedal Pokémon, and that left the Zubat stunned and speechless, if he wasn't already mute.

The Zubat now had found what he was searching for, someone who had warmed the blind bat's small heart.

The Zubat fluttered near Iria, and sat promptly on her shoulder.

"Looks like we won't be alone anymore," Iria smiled, "We'll be together until the end!" she added happily.

The Zubat then took a Pokéball, and allowed himself into it.

Iria then released her, knowing there is another Pokémon she could trust

A smile formed on her face, vibrant and happy, for the first time in months, the solitary girl felt glad.

The stalagmites of Granite Cave are a rather unusual variety - they appear to be made of rounded, irregular, hollow cones, which are concave upwards.

She knew she's deep inside the Cave already, as she seen Arons and Abras.

Iria pressed on, her torch only illuminating a little of the surroundings, too bad she didn't have a Pokémon that could use Flash.

The cavern wormed its way half a mile into the mountain. It's general shape was ovoid, the walls below the ridge smoothly curved to the floor, the walls above arched another hundred feet up to giant stalactites and the Zubats roosts.

But not one dared to challenge me now, that Iria had the leader of the Zubats with her. The posse will most likely find a replacement, but now, they won't bother.

The Arons, Geodudes and Abras looked on, as they are not used to see a human walking around in their cave. But they did not attack, they just looked on. They were less aggressive then the Zubats.

I can now see the final cavern, the famous one, that Steven Stone used to visit, and the one my father started his journey with as well.

The cavern consists of drawings depicting the ancient Pokémon, the sketches were beautiful, Iria wondered as she walked near it, fascinated.

Well, its time, we're starting our journey.

"Teleport," she whispered, and threw a Teleportation Orb.

And with a flash, they were gone.

-

"We're finally off," Iria said as they got out of Granite Cave.

The light of the evening sun was amazing. But above all it is the fantastic colouring of the beaches that as in image overpowers the minutiae. After spending much time in the darkness of the caves, the rays of sunlight feels heavenly. Above the tide-line the grey rocks are splashed gorse-yellow with close-growing lichen, and with others of blue-green and salmon pink. Small pebbles scattered around. Beneath them are the vivid orange-browns and siennas of wrack-weeds, the violet of mussel-beds, dead-white sand, and water through which one sees down to the bottom. As a little game of marbles was going on with some of the local kids she knew.

They waved to her, and she waved back, soon she will go on a ferry to Rustboro City, where she would train, and get the Gym Badge of the prodigy of studying, Roxanne. Iria isn't familiar with Roxanne's team, as she is to Brawly's but she's confident, she could win.

She made his way to the Pokémon Centre, and she put her Pokémon up for healing.

She sat down on cushions scattered around the Pokémon Centre, and relaxed her sore muscles.

The television hanging on the ceiling of the Pokémon Centre showed Littleroot Town, a small quiet town, home to Professor Birch and Norman Maple.

Intrigued, She watched on. "We bring this interview from Littleroot Town, we are interviewing Professor Birch today!" Gabby, the bubbly reporter, exclaimed with glee.

The news featured a shot of the town, small, quaint and serine. The flower blossomed like petals on a kimono girl's dress, vibrant and colourful. The town albeit small, was the town where a lot of famous people lived, one of them was Professor Birch.

"Professor Birch, your son, Brendan started his journey today, and already, he's causing quite a commotion!" Gabby added excitedly.

"We knew it was his destiny to train Pokémon and me to research, I'm very proud of him," the chubby professor chuckled.

"That Treecko of his is skilled in battle, it thrashed my Whismur with flair!" Gabby exclaimed.

At that moment, another explosion rang.

"That's Seed Bomb for you, I bred it into Treecko," Prof Birch explained.

"He sure has potential, and oh, isn't May Normal, the daughter of Norman Normal going off as well?" Gabby inquired.

"Yeah, she's a feisty one, I heard from Brendan, and equally as strong," he added.

Iria turned away from the screen and thought, "Brendan and May, would I ever get to their level?".

Iria grabbed her Pokémon and exited the Pokémon Centre.

After weaving through the labyrinth of familiar roads, the paths eventually converged and unveiled the centre. Flocks of different Bird Pokémon gathered everywhere; their numbers delighted foreigners from different regions, or just from another town in Hoenn, as they huddled around the Pokémon, and either fed them crumbs of bread, or took photographs.

The visitors' inclination towards the Bird Pokémon differed from the locals'; the Bird Pokémon were considered nuisances, as our small town were famous for training Fighting Pokémon, her Zubat is an exception for her, Iria thought, and hence and treated as such. A sea of people, of all ages and ethnicities, filled the centre.

Some were sightseers from all corners of the world; after all, Dewford Town was a renowned tourist attraction, because of its picturesque beaches, and was often visited at this time of the year.

She reached the spacious dock, where rows of cruise boats, ferries, motorboats and saloon boats sat, bobbing up and down near the temporarily calm sea.

She finally was off upon her journey, to become the very best.

-

She had arrived in Evergrande City, the city was beautiful, the smells of the city were not familiar to her but the fragrance of the flowers planted everywhere let her relax. There was tinges of earthy loam to the air, plenty of fragrance of spring growth.

The electricity from the electric vehicles used here was fascinating, but punching right out of it would be the spicy and tasty offerings of the street vendors, coming sharply into focus like a camera zoom and then ebbing away again; only to be replaced by the next vendor and the next. Now these are the smells of home every bit as much as the old ones were, perhaps less healthy but reassuring nonetheless.

The only place that would rival it was the Forests, how she loved it.

The forest is the orchestra of Iria's mind, playing one enchanting symphony after another. She never seen a forest so wistful and overgrown. Dewford Town was a town of beaches, so this was a new experience to her. The leaves dance to an unheard beat, whispering their songs to the wind. Iria once asked her mother about forests, as she knew they were part of her life in Petalburg City, she paused, gave the faintest of smiles and spoke softly. "In the forest the sky vanishes almost completely, only a few fragments of blue remain- like scattered pieces of an impossible jigsaw puzzle. The air is rich with the fragrance of leaves and loam, damp too, and the Pokémon are in abundance."

Now that she had been there, she can confirm what she said was true. In here, sheltered by the mighty trees, is every kind of life, from the humble Cascoons and Silcoons to enchanting Bird Pokémon of every shape and size. She held her hands up to feel the cascading light, a brilliant white shaft illuminating the path that takes her onto a journey.

And that had been ages ago. Now she was here, facing the Pokémon League. With Medicham and Crobat, and also their other comrades she befriended along the way.

The Pokémon League was a tournament, for trainers to battle it out, for possibly a chance for the champion, or other paths.

And both Brendan Birch, and May Normal were in it. The duo took down Team Magma and Team Aqua together, the only part that Iria played was protecting Mt.Pyre, a small one, one that was easily forgotten, which also was commanded by Brendan. She didn't want to admit it, but she was terrified of Brendan's power, under the facade of his radiant smile, bright personality and the aesthetic figure.

She participated in local tournaments, and she was defeated by Brendan in the early rounds.

She tried being a coordinator of Pokémon, only to be outshined by the radiant and dazzling May.

They were talented, with good genes and pure talent. Hard work can't best that, never will.

No one will ever care for the contender that lost early. People only cared about the winner, or maybe the runner-up. They are the one who will bask in the spotlight. Not the Plain Janes or the Average Joes. Just the ones that stood out. Just them.

-

Finally the day she had been both dreading and waiting for was here and she couldn't halt the dawn ebbing it's gradual way into daylight. Everything hinges on what she would do later, and once done it can never be undone or reversed. She couldn't think straight that morning, she boiled her kettle multiple times, and added cocoa powder instead of coffee, Iria had placed her Pokéballs in the wrong bag and then panicked when she couldn't find it. Today it could be the difference between walking away heartbroken, or delight.

And the long awaited announcement rang throughout the arena.

"Welcome to the Pokémon League, everyone, where the Trainers battle it out, to see who will stand the chance to earn the title of the Champion of Hoenn!" the announcer exclaimed, cheerfully.

"It would be a two on two battle for the first part, and continued by full team!" she added, in a loud voice.

The crowd erupted in a fury of cheers, expecting the best, the strident timbre of the voice, cacophony of applause and cheering, whooping, hollering, clapping, stamping of feet, palpable excitement buzzed through the charged air, infectious grins, strangers shaking hands, patting one another on the back, spontaneous outpouring of emotion as the league is finally here.

"Now to the pairings," the announcer announced, expecting silence.

And sure enough, the atmosphere tensed, no one dared to talk, and surely also no one would.

The announcer ranted a list of challengers Iria had never heard of before, until she heard her name.

"Iria Ranch against Brendan Birch!" The announcer rebuked in an even more cheerful voice upon hearing Brendan's name.

"What luck," she muttered, "Brendan Birch for the first round."

-

"This match is between Brendan Birch from Littleroot Town and Iria Ranch from Dewford Town, this match is a match of two on two battles with switching made unavailable unless a switching move is used," the judge said in a monotonous tone.

The staple Alakazam and Mr.Mimes then proceeded to erect the barrier. To protect the crowd from harm that might be induced.

"You're up! Crobat!" Iria said as Crobat's Pokéball soared through the barrier and into the battlefield, and of course, the Pokéball went back to her.

"Mightyena! Let's Go!" Brendan retaliated.

The quadruped hound stood proud and strong, and faced on against Crobat, strong and fearless.

"I'm counting on you," Iria whispered as softly as possible, but loud enough for Crobat to hear.

Upon hearing the words, Crobat's heart felt warm. Upon someone that had opened up his callow and evil riddled heart since he was an Zubat.

"Crobat, Sky Attack," Iria commanded.

"Mightyena, Howl then Shadow Claw," Brendan retaliated.

The toxic purple bat went up into the sky, his body engulfed in wind and emblazoned with wind, Crobat swooped down, vigour showing as he drastically gained speed and launched an attack.

On the other hand, Mightyena let out a screeching howl, that chilled Iria and the rest of the crowd till the bones. The hound's claws began to be engulfed into an eerie black aura that taints the atmosphere. Readying for a counter.

Crobat's Sky Attack landed, but parried by Mightyena's Shadow Claw. An explosion of dust and debris is seen. Both of them stopping each other's attacks.

"Steel Wing!" Iria added, sweat trickling down her neck.

"Metal Claw," Brendan countered, with the same coolness he possessed.

Crobat's wing shone a bright metallic colour, but so does Mightyena's claws.

The two Pokémon continued to brawl, the sound made from their metallic buffed parts were like sword against sword, in an heated battle.

But ultimately, Crobat prevailed, one wrong move from the Mightyena gave him the upper hand. Continuous slashes from the Crobat are being inflicted on the hound.

She felt that Crobat was trying it's best to emerge victorious, and she choked back her tears. She should try harder as well, they came so far.

"Dark Pulse!" Brendan commanded, his voice losing it's usual cool a little.

Both Mightyena and Crobat were engulfed in a dark void. The barrier grew dark.

The last thing they saw was Crobat being hit hard in the pressure points by the Dark Pulse. Then, the battle ensues inside of it.

"Aeroblast," Iria screamed, hoping the bat could hear her.

"Finish it, Ice Fang!" Brendan said confidently.

A roar of tenacity and then a roar of pain was heard, Crobat was as quiet as usual. No one knew what has happened unless the void disappears.

But one thing was for sure, there were no more sounds of a brawl.

And sure enough, the void had depleted and both Mightyena and Crobat lay defeated.

"Both Mightyena and Crobat are unable to battle, the battle is hence declared a draw," the judge announced

She returned the bat into it's Pokéball.

"You've done good, Crobat," she smiled at the Pokéball containing the toxic purple bat.

"Let's go, Sceptile," Brendan gushed, as the reptile was his trump card.

"It's finally time, let's go and give it our all, Medicham!" Iria insisted with a roar, full of incandescent pride.

"Sceptile, Leaf Blade!" Brendan commanded.

"He wants to tango, eh, Medicham, Arm Thrust!," Iria countered.

Sceptile's leaf blades on it's hand, shone a brilliant green, and sensation that put chills down Iria's spine. On the other hand, Medicham was in a stance, her hands rock-hard, and ready to fight.

An impressive array of thrusts and blocks filled the tension in the battle. The rhythmic thumps of the bipedal reptile's hands connected to the constant sounds of the trained bipedal warrior.

Both parties looked for an opening, but each time getting parried. The match was very close before one command changed it.

"Meditite, Hi-Jump Kick," Iria chided in a sneak attack.

A point-blank range Hi-Jump Kick is quite damaging. The bipedal warrior with a roar, connected it's foot into the reptile's body.

The resounding slam, echoed throughout the arena, not a sound to be heard during the time period.

But the reptile was still standing, even though pushed back quite a distance and kneeling down, groaning in pain.

How the bipedal warrior had did that, required lots of training and time. No adequate Medicham would have launched a kick that hard, and that accurate.

"Woah, that was an hard kick," Brendan grimaced, but he smirked and added, but it's time to finish this, "Sceptile, Mega Evolve!".

Sceptile obliged and let out a battle-cry, a brilliant rainbow aura shone around it, and it's form changed.

As Mega Sceptile, its head crests become more pointed with a round portion missing from the middle. The red marking surround its eyes, which become smaller and more narrow.

"Sceptile, Dragon Claw," Brendan rebuked.

"Medicham, Focus Blast!" Iria retaliated frantically, searching for a weak point.

"We've come this far, there's no way, no way we could lose, Medicham, let's give it our all," she thought and smiled radiantly at Medicham.

Medicham had seemed to understand her partner's thoughts. She felt more determined to win this. For Iria, Crobat and everyone else.

However, the reptile was definitely faster and more agile. Medicham kept parrying and blocking with blasts but after tense moments, Sceptile found an opening.

The reptile went in a fury, launching leaf blade after leaf blade. With some still being deflected.

The reptile did not recall an instance, when another Pokémon matched up to it's speed in this form. This was indeed a strong opponent.

"You've done good, Medicham, no matter the result,"

With a resounding blow, the bipedal warrior was finally of her knees. And she went down.

Medicham is unable to battle, Sceptile is the winner, so this round goes to Brendan Birch," the judge announced.

She lasted long enough, even against that Mega-Evolved Sceptile.

-

She walked under the night sky, the stars shimmering like diamonds above.

Brendan had proceeded to go in the finals, which was tomorrow against a feeble boy named Wally, but Wally was strong enough to beat May.

If this were a book, he'll be the protagonist along with Wally and May, while she would be a nobody, not even an antagonist.

She was proud of Medicham, proud of Crobat and proud of her other comrades. If only she wasn't fated to be an extra. They could've shone brighter. Not all stories have an happy ending.

Most have their dreams crushed, but people only cared about the winner. Not someone who had lost early.

She let out Medicham and Crobat, her closest partners and they gazed at the sky. And it was already late, putting off the moment she would have to go to bed and face sleep, she stayed there until the sky was a shade of velvet indigo, and more stars flickering, she and her partners looked on, at the random semaphore of long-dead flecks of light.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

860K 52.9K 117
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
90.3M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
1.1M 19.1K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...