a chained heart

De ellpara

A fan fiction where Lawrence actually did come back for Adam Mai multe

1 | a kept promise
2 | safe
3 | friend-s h i p
5 | moving in
6 | lust
7 | blood
8 | sunrise
9 | awkward love
10 | chili's and kisses
11 | good times and bad news
12 | drunk on plane-jet?
13 | swindler style
14 | double-crossed
15 | sleep
16 | chaos
17 | decisions
18 | change
19 | temporary happiness
20 | deceit
21 | goodbye

4 | impulses

2.3K 84 166
De ellpara

The days rolled by slower than molasses, but it was finally Tuesday—the day Adam was to pick Lawrence up from the hospital.

Lawrence. He couldn't stop thinking about him. Adam didn't understand these feelings. He'd always considered himself straight as a stick, so why did this man get him so hot and bothered? Adam tried to shake it off as he gelled his hair in the mirror, lying to himself that he wasn't doing it to impress.

Taking one last look at himself, he left his apartment. Hopping into his car, he found himself checking out his hair again in the rearview mirror. Since when do I care about my appearance? he asked himself. Shaking off the stupid nerves that were filling him, he put his car into gear and drove to the hospital, every mile bringing him closer to someone who would change his life

***

Pulling into a parking space, Adam exited his car, and as he made his way to the front doors, he saw that Lawrence was already outside waiting for him. He was in a wheelchair, pushing himself towards Adam with a smile beaming on his face.

As the two made their way to each other, Lawrence stopped wheeling himself and Adam knelt down to put him in a tight embrace.

"I missed you all week," Adam lightly whispered into his ear, gripping tighter onto his shoulders. Am I being weird? Adam worried. He quickly but reluctantly let go and stood back up; he didn't want the hug to last too long.

Lawrence was disappointed when he felt a cool breeze as Adam's warm body retracted away from his, but he showed no signs of it on his face. Instead, he smiled up at him, trying to keep the blush under control that he could feel surfacing across his cheeks.

Why did this Adam kid get him so flustered? He understood that they just went through a lot together, so of course they would turn out to be good friends. But this felt like more to Lawrence. His whole body grew hot when he went near him and his skin tingled when they touched.

Lawrence's thoughts were disrupted when Adam began wheeling him in his chair towards the hospital. "Why are we going back inside?"

"Well, you were such an eager-beaver to get out that I never got to check you out of there myself—I'm sure I need to speak with someone. I don't want to get charged with kidnapping." Adam paused and sighed before continuing, "And I want to thank your friend for helping me out of the bathroom."

Adam made his way towards the front desk, meeting eyes with one of the same jerks that was working the desk last week. "Adam Stanheight—here to pick up Lawrence Gordon."

The man typed away at his computer before replying, "Alright, yep I see right here. Adam. Cool, you guys are good to go." He gave him a dismissive thumbs-up.

Adam hesitated before leaning in, "Actually, I was wondering if you would help me find Ron? I just wanted to talk to him real quick."

"Sure," he impatiently replied. After calling Ron's office, the doctor soon made his way into the waiting room and shook Adam's hand, "Hey man! You look great! And so doesn't he," Ron motioned to his best friend. "So what brings you back here, Adam?"

"Oh, I'm just here to pick up Lawrence."

"Oh," Ron was visibly surprised. He wondered why Alison wasn't here instead, but then he recalled the conversation between him and David. Maybe there was something more than friendship between him and Lawrence after all. "Well that's great," he tried to hide his suspicion.

"Yeah, and I wanted to thank you."

"Thank me?" this shocked Ron.

"Yeah, you saved my life."

"Oh no," Ron put his hands up in protest. "David did. If it weren't for him, you'd still be locked up."

"David? Who's that?"

"The man who helped Lawrence off the side of the road."

Ron felt guilt creeping up on him. He remembered how he'd blamed David for what happened to Lawrence, and how he gave him a hard time. He ended up letting go of his pride and apologizing soon after they got back to the hospital, but he still felt bad. They'd ended up exchanging numbers just incase. Maybe Ron could make up for his mistakes.

"Well, do you know where I could find him? I would really like to thank him," Adam cut into Ron's thoughts.

"No, I'm afraid not," Ron lied sadly. He didn't want them to know they had contact. "Anyway, you gentlemen have a great day." He went in to give Lawrence a quick hug and pat him on the back, "Feel better, man." Walking back to the elevator, he waved goodbye and disappeared behind the doors. 

***

Adam wheeled Lawrence back towards his car.

"I can wheel myself, you know," Lawrence grumbled.

This hurt Adam, but his ego wouldn't let him show it, "Just trying to help." Reaching the passenger door, Adam opened it for Lawrence.

Lawrence took his crutches that were laying across the top of his wheelchair and planted them on the ground. Putting his arms in, he tried lifting himself out of the seat. His arms started to shake violently as he could only get himself an inch off of a sitting position. Being bedridden and on painkillers all week had really taken a toll on his strength.

Heat seared through his veins as he struggled to keep himself supported. The pain burned his entire body. Finally letting go, he fell back into his wheelchair. Lawrence immediately tried again, but was getting nowhere.

Adam remembered Larry's outburst when he wheeled him, but he couldn't bare to watch this. Reaching out, he put his hand on Lawrence's back, supporting him and pushing him gently off the chair. Lawrence closed his eyes and paused, looking like he wanted to lash out again. He hated looking vulnerable, but he knew he needed this. Nodding, he indicated Adam to continue.

Adam held onto Larry's arms, keeping him steady as he sat in the passengers seat. Without words, he placed the crutches in the back, then went around to sit behind the wheel. As he put the keys in the ignition, Lawrence's soft voice startled him, "Thank you."

"Of course," Adam nodded, trying to put enough compassion behind those two words to show him how much he cared. There was so much Adam wanted to say to him, but didn't know how. So he stayed quiet as Lawrence guided him along the roads to his house.

***

As Adam pulled up to Lawrence's house, an increasing panic rose in his chest, making it hard to breathe. Now that they'd both finished their time physically recovering, how, and why, would they ever find reason to see each other again?

Adam helped Lawrence out of the car and back into his wheelchair. As his hands touched Lawrence's back, he felt shivers run through his spine. I don't want to leave you again, he thought to himself.

Looking up, Adam saw Lawrence's wife watching them through the front door with her arms crossed. Adam lamely smiled and lifted a hand to wave, then turned away to grab Larry's crutches and carried them for him.

Lawrence wheeled himself to the front door with sweaty palms. He didn't want to go inside and face his wife, and he knew that once he entered his house, he would never have reason to see Adam again. This scared Lawrence, but he did not understand why; all he knew was that he wanted to hold onto Adam forever. But how could he? What was he supposed to say? Hey, so I know we hardly know each other, but we both just went through trauma and I'm oddly attracted to you. Wanna go out for lunch sometime?

Lawrence was right in front of his door now, but Alison was standing in the doorway, blocking him from entering. "Hello, Lawrence," she grumbled, then looked up to shoot Adam a dirty look. Adam looked down at his feet and fidgeted. "Who's this?" she pointed at him.

Lawrence cleared his throat, "He is a new friend of mine. He was in the Jigsaw trap with me," he replied matter-of-factly to his soon to be ex-wife. She did not budge from where she stood. "So, can I come in?" Lawrence probed.

"No." She was putting up a cold front, tightening her crossed arms and jerking her head to flip the hair out of her eyes. "I don't want you here, Lawrence."

"But—"

"No," she cut into him. "Our divorce is practically finalized. I don't want you in this house anymore."

Lawrence's voice came out as a whimper,"What about Diana? Can I please see her?"

Adam could feel an itch to put his hand on Lawrence's shoulder and comfort him. He fought the impulse and squeezed the crutches tightly.

"No," Alison stayed adamant in being difficult. "No, not until we go to court to work out visitation rules."

"But, Alison," Lawrence pleaded, "I could have died last week. She needs to see her father, don't you think?"

"What kind of example do you want to set for our daughter, Lawrence?" she uncrossed her arms, throwing them angrily as her voice rose. "She knows we are separated, so that's how it should stay. If I allow you to be here, she could get confused."

Alison stared icily at Lawrence before finishing him off, "Leave," she pointed off to the streets.

"But? W-where am I supposed to go?" Lawrence stammered. Adam could tell he was fighting back tears. He squeezed the crutches tighter to avoid reaching out to him.

"I don't care where you go, Lawrence, as long as it's not here," Alison replied tiredly before shutting the door behind her.

Lawrence was stunned.

Silence hung in the air until Adam spoke from behind him, "Shit, man. I'm sorry."

Lawrence said nothing.

Adam grabbed the handles of the wheelchair, turning back towards the car. He tried to keep his voice lighthearted, "Yanno what? Screw her, man. You don't need that kinda negativity in your life."

Adam helped Lawrence back into the passenger seat again, and then sat down in his own spot, having no idea where he was going to drive to next.

Lawrence's toughly built body looked weak as he slumped sadly. His head hanged loosely and he stared at the floor silently. Adam could no longer keep his hands under control. He reached over the center console and splayed his palm over Lawrence's thigh.

Lawrence looked up into Adam's eyes. He showed no signs of repulsion—this made it easier for Adam to say what he wanted to next. Just take a chance, Adam pushed himself. He almost choked on his words, "You could stay at my place."

Lawrence raised his brows in question.

Putting his hands up in defense, Adam was a stuttering mess, "I didn't mean, like, forever. Just until you got back on your feet, I meant—"

Lawrence placed his hand over Adam's mouth to shut him up. Adam's eyes darted back and forth between the hand over his mouth and Lawrence's eyes. Lawrence removed his hand and chuckled, "That wasn't an ew no face. It was an are you sure cause that's very generous face."

"Oh," Adam laughed trying to hide the relief washing over him. "Right. So is that a yes?"

"Of course I would love to stay at your place," Lawrence clarified. "As long as you promise I'm not imposing."

Adam's face threatened to grow red at the thought of them living together. "No, not at all. I promise."

"Well alright," Lawrence grinned.

Adam smiled silently to himself, counting this as a victory. He did not know where this decision would lead them, but he had a feeling it was somewhere good.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

44.4K 1K 29
"Look at me Axel . I'm sorry I never should've- His lips were on mine and I grabbed his waist like it was the most natural thing in the world. His...
Mortify De ‎

Dragoste

5.6K 397 16
YINWAR FAN FICTION War had a long-term boyfriend, but he ended up getting sick and died, and now he sees someone who looks like his long-term boyfrie...
23.7K 1K 33
Published - 25 February 2019 Completed - 23 April 2020
94.4K 2K 45
A Nick and Charlie fan fiction. Charlie and Ben have been dating for 2 years and recently moved in together. When Ben forgets to pick Charlie up from...