For Milady

By harrypanther

AU Set during RTTE Season 5. Hiccup and Astrid are now boyfriend/girlfriend but not betrothed yet...and sudde... More

ONE: No Regrets
TWO: Staying on the Edge
THREE: Surprises
FOUR: Betrothed
FIVE: Cast Off
SIX: Arrival
SEVEN: Mixed Reactions
EIGHT: The Invisible Rival
NINE: Friends and Allies
TEN: Changing of the Guard
ELEVEN: New Perspective
TWELVE: Losing no matter what
THIRTEEN: Think Three Times
FOURTEEN: Through the fires
FIFTEEN: Someone to rely on
SIXTEEN: Saved
SEVENTEEN: Consequences
NINETEEN: Old Friends
TWENTY: New Purpose
TWENTY ONE: Choices
TWENTY TWO: The Greater Good
TWENTY THREE: On Dragon Wings
TWENTY FOUR: Gone
TWENTY FIVE: The Chief's Guest
TWENTY SIX: Betrayal
TWENTY SEVEN: Leverage
TWENTY EIGHT: The Wedding of Astrid Hofferson
TWENTY NINE: Despair
THIRTY: Time
THIRTY ONE: Reunions
THIRTY-TWO: Heading Home
THIRTY THREE: Repercussions
THIRTY FOUR: Riders of the Edge
THIRTY FIVE: Homecoming
THIRTY SIX: Enemy, my enemy
THIRTY-SEVEN: Accomplice
THIRTY-EIGHT: Ending and Beginning
THIRTY-NINE: Family
FORTY: The Empty Chair
FORTY-ONE: The Return of the Heir
FORTY-TWO: Hope
FORTY THREE: New Understandings
FORTY FOUR: Return to Vanaheim
FORTY FIVE: Losses
FORTY-SIX: Wrecked
FORTY SEVEN: The Fifth Lens
FORTY EIGHT: The Hunt
FORTY-NINE: King and Princess
FIFTY: The Last Hurdle

EIGHTEEN: Reactions

1.4K 65 15
By harrypanther

EIGHTEEN: Reactions

As soon as the storm died down, Hjordis was out, running to the stable and finding the entrance blocked by drifts. Casting around in panic, she turned and started to trudge up the village towards the Chief's house...but Kjetil had emerged already, his brows beetled and eyes flicking across the snowy village, already assessing the damage.

"Chief!" Hjordis cried, wading through the deep snow. "It's Astrid! She went to the dragon's stable and she never made it back...and the building is half-buried in snow. I-I'm worried about her..." His eyes widened and he beckoned to the three nearest men, following the woman as she sped down the hill. But they only got halfway back to her house when two shapes blocked their path. Morton and Ragnar looked grim and vaguely triumphant.

"Chief-we have to report that the dragon attacked and killed Lars!" Ragnar said bluntly. Hjordis stared at him-and then at the Chief.

"WHAT?' he growled, his face creasing into a scowl of anger.

"When?" Hjordis asked, her eyes sweeping over the men. They and the apparently-dead Lars were the most vociferous opponents of having Stormfly resident in the village. Morten shrugged.

"During the blizzard," he said guilelessly and she stared.

"Stormfly was agitated in her stable," she said, turning to the Chief. "It was why Astrid braved the blizzard-because she was worried about the dragon." She turned back to the two men. "Do you know something about that?"

"The dragon attacked Lars without provocation!" Morten insisted.

"Where?" Kjetil growled and the two men backed up a pace but their eyes flicked towards the side of the house.

"You were in the stable," Hjordis gasped. "Where's Astrid?" But she didn't even wait for the answer and began to run towards the side of the house, with the Chief and his helpers a few steps behind. Swiftly, they began to dig to shift the drift against the front of the stable, burrowing through furiously until they suddenly found themselves facing the open door of the stable. Unsure what he would find, the Chief and Hjordis scrambled through-to find Stormfly sitting on the floor, almost as if she was nesting, her wings partly spread and frill raised. The moment they arrived-especially with Morten and Rangar behind them-she hissed furiously and her pupils narrowed. Frantically, the woman cast around and saw Astrid's axe against the wall of the house, where the stable was attached to the pre-existing building. She gasped and stared.

"Where is Astrid?" she murmured and turned to the dragon. "Stormfly-where's Astrid?"

The dragon gave an agitated squawk but Hjordis had spent time with the dragon in Astrid's presence and she felt confident enough to wave the men back, then inch forward.

"Watch out," Kijetil warned her "The beast attacked Lars..."

"What was he doing in the stable in the middle of a blizzard anyway?" she snapped. "Against your orders? Why would he be here? Certainly not to admire a dragon he has repeatedly said shouldn't be allowed in the village and which he has said should be killed on many occasions!"

"But..."

"Chief-we both know why Lars was in here-and the dragon has every right to defend itself when three men come in here to kill it," she argued, then turned back to the dragon. She gently extended her hand, closing her eyes. "It's okay, Stormfly-trust me," she whispered. There was a pause and then the dragon lowered her head and pressed her snout gently into Hjoridis's palm. The woman gasped and looked up in shock, a smile unconsciously lifting her lips. "Stormfly...where is Astrid?"

The dragon gave a sad screech and reluctantly rose to her feet, revealing the curled shape of Astrid, protected from the frigid temperature by the dragon's warm body and wings. Kjetil gasped as well, seeing the young woman lying unconscious, a bruise on her cheek, her hand grazed and a mark on the tunic on the side of her abdomen, suggesting she had been attacked. He glared at Morten and Ragnar.

"What happened to her?" he demanded. "Did you attack her?" Ragnar shook his head, a false expression of worry on his face.

"Of course not, Chief!" he protested. "In fact, when we arrived, we saw the dragon attack her, throwing her aside and when Lars went to help her, the beast killed him!"

Kjetil stared at them grimly and then looked around the little space, seeing the crumpled shape of Lars, the two spines sticking out of his chest. His sword was naked and still clasped in his dead hand. The findings didn't match the story.

"Not...true..." Astrid murmured, her lips tinged with blue. Her hand rested tenderly on the side of her abdomen. "They were in the stable. They wanted to kill her. Hit Morten on head...so Lars threw me against wall. Then Stormfly protected me. Wanted to kill...us both..." Hjordis wrapped her cloak around the curled woman and looked up angrily at the Chief. Kjetil was scarlet with rage.

"How dare you?" he roared. "You attack the dragon-which was granted protection by me in person-and attempt to murder the woman who saved the village. And you compound your crimes by lying to me and attempting to blame the dragon for your actions!"

"That beast is dangerous!" Ragnar protested. "It killed Lars! It must be destroyed."

"Lars attacked Astrid!" Hjordis snapped. "The dragon protected her after she had been attacked from being killed! The attack could have killed the baby..."

"Still kicking..." Astrid murmured. "But I hurt...all over..." Kjetil looked up into the acid-yellow eyes of the Nadder and nodded.

"Thank you," he murmured and leaned forward, lifting the young woman in his arms. "I promise we will look after her." There was a pause and she squawked as Astrid shifted.

"No..." she murmured. "Not without her..." She craned her head and looked lovingly awards the dragon. "She's...in danger..." Hjordis looked at her in worry and then she smiled.

"Chief...I have an idea," she said.

oOo

Frustration barely covered what Hiccup felt as he limped around the cave and back, casting jaundiced looks towards the windbreak they had built to keep the little cave warm. Toothless was asleep by the far wall, the stone glowing with the residual warmth from his plasma fire that he had used to warm it to red heat while Heather and Dagur were seated in the opposite corner, discussing matters on Berserk, especially the new Treaties that Dagur was still negotiating with the other Tribes.

"You know-you could help me with this," Dagur commented, looking up at the pacing shape of Hiccup. Ignoring him, the auburn-haired Viking paced to the far wall and turned back.

"Oh, I doubt that," Hiccup muttered, scowling as he limped back. It had been ten days since his fever broke and the blizzards hadn't eased up. Toothless's wing was taking longer than anticipated to heal and though he was consumed with impatience, Hiccup wouldn't force his dragon to try to fly before he was healed. He knew that brave, faithful Toothless would try if asked-but he would be in pain and could end crippled. And the dragon chafed at the restriction as much as his Rider and wanted to fly just as badly. Fishlegs had headed back to Berk when Dagur returned, bringing with him an interesting selection of items he had found in Hiccup's room in Berk. Not that the one-legged Viking wasn't grateful but the thought of Dagur rifling through his possessions made him feel a little...weird. He knew that Dagur had been attracted to him in the past and he was feeling very uncomfortable about him looking through his private journals.

"You know, you're absolutely cute when you're sulking," the Berserker Chief teased him and Hiccup growled in his throat. It was still sore from all the abuse he had endured but it was healing.

"Haven't you got a Tribe to rule?" he snarked. The pale green eyes narrowed at the tone.

"I would be there-if my little brother hadn't gotten himself into mortal danger!" he snapped back, his tone cool.

"Well, I'm better now so no reason for you to still be here," Hiccup retorted, unable to stop himself. "I'm not one of your people." There was a chilly silence as Dagur rose and glared at him, the look so reminiscent of his expression when he had been working with the Hunters that it sent a chill down Hiccup's spine. Then the Berserker walked out without sparing him another glance, shouting for Sleuther as he left. The sound of the dragon taking off was loud in the silence. Heather looked up and glared at him.

"Are you going to tell me to go away now?" she snapped. "He was really worried about you-because he sensed there was something very wrong. He saved your life-you have no right to talk to him like that!" Digging his hands in his hair, he took a shuddering breath and then glared at her.

"Why am I suddenly the bad guy?" he snarled at her, suddenly and unreasonably angry. "I mean-you betrayed us to Alvin and we still helped you and forgave you. You betrayed us again and lied to me. Trying to rescue you cost us the DragonEye! Dagur tortured me as a kid, tried to kill me so many times and destroyed homes on Berk-including Astrid's family home. And he was forgiven. I have forgiven everyone! So why will no one cut me any damned slack? Why am I expected to be perfect, to never be frustrated or in pain or scared to death that the woman I love is out there and I have no clue where she is or even which way she went? Why I can't be upset that I was captured and hurt and my stupidity let Toothless get harmed? Why can't anyone just let me be me and let me be furious at how fate has treated me?"

Then he turned and limped out through the cave entrance into the blizzard, the wind taking his breath and snowflakes blinding him.

"AAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!" he screamed in utter frustration, then stumbled back against the rocky cliff that formed the surroundings of the cave mouth. Resting his head back against the uneven rock, he closed his eyes and allowed shuddering breaths to shake his still-healing form. He pressed his hands to his face, shame already coiling in his chest. But he still jumped as a hand gently landed on his shoulder. he looked up into the worried green eyes of Heather.

"Come inside," she said above the wind. "It will do no one any good if you freeze out here!" Miserable, he nodded, his hair already frosted with snow.

"M'sorry," he mumbled as she wrapped an arm around him and steered him into the shelter and close by the little fire. Her voice was soothing as she sat at his side.

"Come on-I know you're worried about her. I am too. But you can't chase after her without Toothless-and he's going to take another few days before that wing is ready to fly."

"I know," he sighed, staring into he golden flames, unfocussing as his shoulders slumped. "I mean, I gave everything up for her. I literally have nowhere and no one left except her. And if...if she goes into labour without me, she...she could....and I would never see her again." He took a shuddering breath. "I made my choice but I have failed her so badly..."

"Hiccup-you could always come to Berserk," she reminded him. "We would always make you welcome..." His shamed eyes flicked up and he gave a very wan smile.

"That ship may have sailed," he shrugged. "I guess I'm probably already on Berserk's most wanted list. Not even taking into account that I am an Outcast so technically I shouldn't be welcome on your island. I could mess up your Treaty with Berk if Dad finds you're harbouring me..."

"I suspect he's hoping we will," Dagur said from the entrance, his hair full of snow. Hiccup glanced up in alarm but the Berserker walked calmly to sit opposite the auburn-haired Viking and ruffled the snow from his short hair. "You don't need to say it, brother-that temper is really worthy of a Berserker..."

"Or the only son of Stoick the Vast," Hiccup added. "I am grateful for the help...but you have an island to look after and I don't want to compromise you when this is my mess. And those new Hunters are still out there...and I am a long way from home." Dagur made a humming noise and then he cocked an eyebrow.

"There are some other hunters closer to home," he reminded the Hooligan and gave a smirk. "And they need reminding that hunting Night Furies and holding their riders prisoner is not a good career move..." Hiccup sighed.

"Revenge isn't me," he admitted.

"Though Al told me that you once took off at him with the intent of using Toothless to blast him," he reminded the young man and Hiccup blushed, recalling the end of his captivity on Outcast island. The dragons had saved him and Toothless off their own backs that day. "But you know Stoick used to be called 'the Vengeful' in his slimmer days?"

"I was aware of that fact," Hiccup murmured.

"The men who did this to you and Toothless can't be allowed to carry on without someone stopping them!" Heather reminded him. Closing his eyes, Hiccup recalled the Nadder, the trust in its eyes just before the Captain had slaughtered it and his sadistic revenge on Hiccup after the young Viking had lost his temper. He nodded.

"You're right," he said quietly. "and...I really need your help..." He looked up and met Dagur's eyes. "Please..."

The Berserker stared thoughtfully into Hiccup's eyes and nodded. "You are always one of my people, brother," he said gravely. "Don't ever doubt that..." And then he grinned broadly. "But of course we'll help you. That's what siblings are for!" Heather nodded with a smile Astrid would have been proud of.

"Those Hunters won't know what's hitting them!"

oOo

Waking was disorientating as Astrid opened her eyes and then she started, pushing herself upright and breathing hard.

"Stormfly!"

The answering trill calmed her as the Nadder shuffled closer and Astrid scrambled to her knees to embrace her dragon. The Nadder was eager, nudging her and crooning in relief. Grinning with relief, she hugged the scaly head, wincing at the bruising on her side. Grimacing, she rested a hand on her stomach and frowned, pausing and then lifting her head with a smile as a firm kick reassured her than her precious cargo was safe.

"I'm glad you're awake," Hjordis said from behind Astrid and the blonde turned to see her sitting by a fire, a pot bubbling and bread warming on flat stones. She frowned and got up, carefully walking towards the other woman. She was shocked to find herself stiff and aching and her eyes widened.

"Ragnar and Morten..." she began but the other woman invited her to sit and gave a cup of hot tea.

"Easy, Astrid," she reassured the young woman. "They are in disgrace and the Chief is considering if he should outcast them for their crimes..."Astrid frowned. "The attack on you-and on Stormfly..." Astrid nodded.

"They were going to kill me after her," she murmured. "I-I knew they disliked having Stormfly here but for them to go against the Chief's orders..." She sighed and shook her head. "I sometimes forget that not everyone understands our lifestyle. That not everyone accepts dragons..."

"They will get no chance to harm you," the older woman reassured her, stirring the pot. "Mutton stew-we need to build you up!" Astrid gave a wan smile, shifting slightly because she was still feeling very stiff.

"But Lars has kin and they will want to kill Stormfly in payment for his death," the blonde sighed, feeling little feet jab under her ribs. "Easy, Thumper. And the others have family as well. They will all blame Stormfly and me when it was their fault." She sighed. "I can't leave her-because one day, I will come back and find my best friend dead." She looked up at Hjordis. "You know, where we come from, dragons are recognised as amazing, protective, wonderful creatures that bring people together. But here, no one will look beyond their prejudices and give her a chance. So...I have to leave. I can't risk her life."

"Astrid-no!" Hjordis protested, her eyes wide with dismay. "You're safe here in the caves. You can live safe here and come down to the village to work and..."

"Be alone, scared every time I leave my dragon that some vengeful relative will come in for her," she said wearily. "No-when the weather breaks, I will leave. There must be somewhere out there where we can be safe." The older woman took her hands, her face stricken.

"But you are six months pregnant, Astrid," she protested, her voice cracking with emotion. "I...I wanted to be there for you and for the little one. I promised I would be there for you..." Hands tightening around her friend's calloused ones, Astrid gave a genuine smile.

"You have been like the sister I never had," she said quietly. "And I would love nothing more than to stay here-but all that will happen is that I will cause trouble...not intentionally, but it will happen. Has already happened. And I-I can't live like that. I can't stay somewhere where one day, my most loyal friend will be killed for just being with me." She sighed. "I'm sorry. I don't want to go either. Here...has almost felt like home." Hjordis wrapped an arm around her.

"You always have a home with me," she promised. "Now let's get you fed up and fully supplied so that when the weather improves, you can sneak away before any of those idiots even realises." Astrid smiled and hugged her back.

"As long as she is safe, I'll manage," she said. "The three of us-Stormfly, baby and I-we'll do fine." She smiled. "I'm a Dragon Rider. And I never give up."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 45 11
exactly what it sounds like. Hiccup and Astrid are genderbend and Hiccup is straight front words with not killing dragons. I have also made it where...
4.8K 48 16
BOOK 1 How To Train Your Dragon OC Insert What if Hiccup had a girl best friend? How would she play in the movie? What kind of dragon does she have? ...
15.5K 612 12
Modern AU. Taking his girlfriend Astrid on a last minute sunshine break seemed like the perfect idea for Hiccup-but everything doesn't go to plan as...
38.4K 751 16
Five years after Berk made peace with the dragons, a new threat rises and puts things to the test. Putting all of Berk and dragon kind at risk. HTTYD...