The Player & The Pauper | ✓

By Ashley_Mariex

Peyton Church is a city girl by anyone's standards. Born and raised in New York City, she grew up wanting for... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE & SUMMARY
CHARACTERS
TRAILER, AESTHETICS & PLAYLISTS
1 | Don't Know What You've Got 'Til Its Gone
2 | A Nightmare Dressed Like A Daydream
3 | Sorry If I Seem Uninterested
4 | Somethin' 'Bout A Truck
5 | There Must Be Something In The Water
6 | Life's A Dance You Learn As You Go
7 | You've Been Hit By A Smooth Criminal
8 | This Is A War
9 | Best Laid Plans
10 | Fake It Till You Make It
11 | Kiss And Tell
12 | Come On Over
13 | The Party Don't Start
14 | I'm a Little Drunk on You
15 | Dirty Laundry
17 | Dear Drunk Me
18 | Crazy 'Bout You
19 | Better Hide The Wine
20 | Jersey on the Wall
21 | Fire & Gasoline
22 | Daddy Issues
23 | Hey Brother
24 | Welcome to New York
25 | Empire State of Mind
26 | Karma Is A
27 | Cry Pretty
28 | Queens Don't
29 | Bitter Love
30 | Homecoming Queen

16 | Nothin' To Do Town

8K 276 46
By Ashley_Mariex

AS IT TURNS out, Ethan was unsuccessful convincing his dad to let us borrow their van. Which means that I'm left to sweet talk my own mother into handing the keys to her pre-owned over to her license-less daughter.

Oh, joy.

I head straight home from school, Hunter dropping me off with promises to return around six-thirty. Thankfully, Jayden has decided to spend the night at a friend's place, and Mom isn't home from work yet, leaving me alone for at least a half an hour to sort out how I'm going to go about this.

Deciding bribery and sucking up are the best methods of persuasion, I make quick work of cleaning off the counters, doing the few dishes in the sink, and even attempt to vacuum the rug in the living room. I say attempt, seeing as by the time I finally manage to find the stupid switch to turn it on, I hear the front door opening and closing, signalling my mom is home.

She strides into the living room and does a double take. Never, in all my years, have I done anything remotely close to housecleaning. I didn't even do my own laundry. So, needless to say the sight of her eldest child standing in the middle of a room, frigging around with a vacuum cleaner took her by surprise.

Her lips curved into a rather concerned looking smile. "Everything okay, Peyton?"

"Everything's fine. Great, really," I huffed, blowing a chunk of hair out of my eyes. "Just helping out a little."

Her smile turned knowing, in that way only mothers do, as she set her purse on the counter. "Alright. What do you want?"

My jaw pops open and I gape at her, offended. "Is it really so hard to believe I just want to help my mother out around the house? Why do I have to have some ulterior motive?"

"Because you're my daughter," she states simply. "I did the same thing to my parents when I was your age."

My offended expression shifts to consideration, and then I lift my shoulders in an accepting shrug. "Fair enough," I tell her, abandoning the vacuum in the middle of the rug.

Mom rolls her eyes at me as I join her in the kitchen. "Now, what is it you want to ask?"

I take a deep breath. I'm not used to asking permission for things, even from my own mother. In New York, if my friends and I needed a ride, we'd call a car service. It was as easy as that. But here in the real world, it's not nearly as easy.

I lean on the countertop, trying my best to look half as wrecked as I feel inside. "Well, my friends and I wanted to go to a party out of town tonight, but none of us have a car," I explain, my fingers toying with a loose string on the hem of my sleeve. "So, I was wondering if maybe, just maybe, you'd let us borrow the Jeep for the night?"

There. That wasn't so bad now, was it Peyton?

I shake my head to myself, dismissing that annoying voice in my head. Meanwhile, my mom looks over at me quizzically, one eyebrow raised in my direction. Her thin arms cross over her chest and she turns to face me, hip leaning against the counter. "Three questions."

I nod. "Shoot."

She raises one finger. "Who's party is this?"

Thinking about it, it was kind of funny to watch my mom play the role of a stern-looking maternal figure, considering how little she cared about details like these while I was growing up. "Cameron Wilson. He lives in Huntsville, I met him last time when you forced me to go to that party with a strange boy you'd met exactly once."

Mom nods, ignoring my quip about Hunter and raising a second finger in the air. "Two, who all will you be going with?"

"Addison, Eliza, Ethan and Hunter. We're also meeting Eliza's girlfriend Lauren there too."

Another nod, and a third finger raised. "And who, pray tell, will be drive my car? Seeing as you've never driven a vehicle once and don't actually have a license?"

I flinch internally, maintaining my calm demeanor on the outside. "Hunter offered to drive us."

A smile I can only describe as intrigued spread across my mother's face. And, I'll admit, it looked entirely terrifying given the subject matter. "It would seem you spend quite a lot of time with a strange boy I've only met once. Any particular reason?"

Thinking quick, I wave her off with one hand and spit out the first excuse that comes to mind. "Addy has a crush on his best friend."

I make a mental note to apologize to Addison tonight as Mom snickers. "Whatever you say, Peyton," she says, pushing herself away from the counter and walking over to the fridge to have a look inside. Looking back at me over the door, she motions for me to go away. "Shouldn't you be getting ready?"

I stand up straight, slightly surprised with her having dropped the conversation so quickly. "Wait, so you're cool with us taking the Jeep?"

"On one condition," she states, hauling a container out of the fridge. When I nod eagerly, she continues. "You're inviting Hunter over for dinner tomorrow night?"

It takes every ounce of self control I have not gape at her. In retrospect, I should've seen this one coming. But, while I'm not particularly fond of the host of the party, I desperately wanted to get out with my friends and have a good time.

So, I swallow down my better judgement and every snarky retort that comes to mind, and nod my head. "Deal."

"I can't believe I let you morons talk me into this," Eliza grumbles from the back seat of my mom's Jeep. She squeezed in beside Addy and Ethan, her arms crossed over her chest and her jaw set in annoyance.

"You'll have fun," I insist, dodging the icy glare she shoots me in the rear view mirror. "Lauren will be there, so it won't be that bad. I'm excited to finally meet her."

The mention of her girlfriend brings a renewed glimmer of happiness to her kohl-lines eyes, but Hunter— being Hunter, of course— quickly douses it.

"Besides, last time cam saw you, you'd dyed your hair black. I doubt he'll even recognize you as a bottled blonde, Eli," he adds with a smirk, adding insult to injury by calling her a name she seems to loathe.

With a deadly glare and an indecent hand gesture, Eliza turns to look out the window, tuning everyone else out as we pull onto Cameron's street.

As much as I long to slap him in the arm, I resist the urge while he's still behind the wheel of my mom's car. I promised her no harm would come to the vehicle, and I intended to keep that promise. Even if that meant we'd all be staying the night in Huntsville tonight.

Once we pull into Cameron's driveway, I notice the lack of other cars. Apparently, we'd been the only ones invited. As we all climb out of the car, a pair of headlights flash and a small compact car pulls in behind us. One figures emerges, and if the look on Eliza's face is any giveaway, that figure is the elusive Lauren.

The girl hurries over, a crossbody bag slung around her torso and a long bohemian style skirt brushing the ground as she walks. She smiles as she hooks an arm through Eliza's and plants a kiss on her cheek. "Hey, you."

Eliza grins and turns her focus to me. "Laur, this is the new girl I told you about. Peyton Church."

Lauren turns an infectious smile my way. "So nice to put a face to a name. And, thank you, by the way, for getting this one out and socializing. I like you already."

I feel Hunter wrap his arms around my waist behind me, but I ignore him in favor of giving the girl in front of me a quick once over.

Bad habits die hard, I guess.

Even in the dim light of a porch lamp, I can see Lauren isn't as much like Eliza as I'd expected her to be. Mousey brown hair falls in short waves to her shoulders, half of which is piled on top of her head in a bun. A few beads are woven into small braids around her face, which is bare of any makeup from what I can tell. But she hardly needs it, her striking green eyes drawing your attention like neon lights.

I fix her with a smile, happy to see my friend so happy. "My pleasure," I laugh. "What are friends for, right?"

Lauren laughs as our group turns to the house beside us. The lights are on but there's no music pounding like there was the last time I was here. We hurry up the steps to the front door, and Addison looks startled when Hunter proceeds to open the front door like he owns the place.

"Yo, Cam! We're here!" Hunter calls loudly, kicking off his work boots in the foyer. I follow suit, bending to unzip my knee high boots and setting them on the mat beside my friends's. Hunter takes my hand to drag me along after him into the shockingly quiet house, and I in turn grab Addy's hand to bring her with us.

After all, I came to hang out with my friends, not let to Hunter haul me off to some dark corner, get me drunk and have his way with me.

Addison squeals as she winds through the rooms with us, Ethan chuckling as he dutifully follows her. We make a complete tour of the main floor before we come back to the living room, and we finally hear footsteps thump down the staircase.

Cameron finally blesses us with his presence, barely finishing pulling on a denim shirt before he flashes a lopsided grin at us gathered in his living room. "Fancy meeting y'all here," he drawls, leaning against the railing. "Is it seven-thirty already?"

"It's eight o'clock, moron," Hunter grumbles loudly, and I stifle a laugh.

I don't miss the way his tousled dark hair is a mess. Coupled with the lack of shirt he was clearly flaunting on his way down, even Addison has drawn the same conclusions as me, her cheeks burning bright red.

Cameron waves him off. "I must've fallen asleep."

As if on cue, a slender girl with long dark hair comes sauntering down the staircase in a dark blue sweater and leggings. Was it not for the semblance of color she was wearing, I'd have done a double take thinking she was someone I know well. The smile she wears is also eerily similar, her dark eyes flashing with amusement as she takes in the scene below them.

"Studying, right?" Ethan chuckles, shaking his head with a smile.

Cameron opens his mouth to chirp back, but the brunette two steps above him beats him to it. "Anatomy, actually," she grins, leaning on the railing beside Cameron. "It is my favourite subject."

Cameron stifles a chuckle, a waves a hand at the girl beside him. "This is Tayler, everyone."

She scans over us, giving us no more than a tiny wave before her eyes settle on something behind us. "Well, hey there, Lauren. You're certainly the last person I'd have imagined seeing here. Actually, I didn't know you had this many friends."

I don't have to turn around to see that Lauren's face is set in a forced smile. "Hello Tayler."

Sensing there's more to the story between my friend's girlfriend and Cameron's current flavor, I take the opportunity to channel old Peyton, if only for a minute. Just to keep anyone from catching a mugshot if this Tayler girl happens to be the kind of girl who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

I smile brightly, stepping forward slightly despite the fact Hunter keeps an arm firmly gripped around my waist. "It's so nice to meet you, Tayler. I'm Peyton. We didn't know Cameron had invited someone to keep him company tonight," I say cheerfully, taking pleasure in the way her eyebrow twitches up in irritation.

Her smile drips sarcasm. "Careful, sweetheart, or that boyfriend of your's there might think you want to take my place."

I let out a loud laugh, honestly amused that of all the possible scenarios, she's chosen this. Hunter seems equally amused, his chest vibrating against my back. Even Cameron snorts a laugh.

"That's funny, really," I tell her, shaking my head with a smile. "But I'm going to have to cut you off right there, because clearly, you're delusional."

"Do people actually listen to you when you talk?" Tayler asks. "Because all I hear is a jealous girl used to getting all the attention."

I cringe. "I mean, I would say it takes one to know one, but we're not in middle school. Or, at least I'm not," I turn to Cameron as I point to the girl beside him. "I didn't take you for a cradle robber, Cameron. Aren't you just full of surprises."

Cameron flips me off, but everyone is snickering, himself included. He turns to the rather angry looking girl beside him and looks down at her with a charmingly lazy grin. "Maybe you can come back tomorrow, huh? We can finish where we left off?"

She blinks before turning a cat-like grin on the playboy. I'll give the guy credit, at least the girl doesn't look like she's trying to hard. Or that she's desperate. Not like a certain redhead I know and loathe.

"Have it your way," she sighs. "But if I find out you screwed that brunette bitch over there, your balls will be bluer than those pretty-boy eyes of yours."

Without another word, she wraps her hand around his neck and pulls him down into a kiss better deserving of a dark closet, or a bedroom floor. When it gets to be around the time a normal human being would need to oxygenate their brain, someone coughs— likely, Ethan— and Cameron reluctantly disentangles himself from the seductress wrapped around him.

The girl hops down the stairs and disappears into the entryway without so much as a goodbye. A moment later, the front door bangs shut and we all turn to see a rather wistful looking Cameron padding down the stairs.

There's a snort of laughter behind me and I glance over Hunter's shoulder to see Eliza rolling her kohl-lined eyes. "Good to see you haven't changed, Wilson. Once a fuck boy, always a fuck boy."

Cameron's eyes zone in on the blonde dressed in black skinnies and a tank top and flashes her a lopsided smirk. "Be still my beating heart! Eliza Newman, in the flesh. And blonde too!" He says loudly, his fist pounding his chest over his heart. "Laur-bear, you didn't tell me Eli was blonde!"

Lauren looks at him like he's grown a second head, and I stifle a laugh in my sleeve. "We don't talk, Cameron. Why would I tell you that?"

Eliza, who looks about ten seconds away from committing felony murder, gnashes her teeth together and turns to Lauren. "I need a drink if I'm going to put up with that," she says, stabbing a finger in an offended-looking Cameron's direction. "Please tell me you brought something to drink."

There's a quick pause before Lauren cringes. "I knew I forgot something."

A look of relief crosses her features. Taking the opportunity before anyone can make a better offer, Eliza grabs Lauren's hand and drags her towards the front door. "We'll be back!" she calls. "Soon. Maybe."

I heave an exaggerated sigh as the door slams shut behind them. Reaching down, I grab Hunters arm from around my waist and hold it up so I can see the watch on his wrist. "Well, she almost lasted fifteen minutes."

Addison pipes up from the corner, reminding me she's been silently watching us. "That's better than not showing up though, right?"

I raise a shoulder in a dismissive shrug. Untangling myself from Hunter's clingy grasp, I sashay over to Addy and hook my arm through her's, all but dragging her over to the couch in the living room.

"That's fine, go on ahead and enjoy yourselves I my living room. Without us," Cameron calls after us. "We'll just stand around like a bunch of tools."

I filing my arm over the back of the sofa, turning to flash him my wittiest smile. "You said it, not me."

"Gee, thanks, Skirt," mumbles a disgruntled Hunter.

Sometimes I just can't resist poking fun at him, even when I'm supposed to be on my best behaviour. Like in front of his friends, or, really, anywhere public.

I tilt my head and lean my cheek against the couch thoughtfully. "Bring me a drink, and maybe I'll apologize."

With an unintelligible grumble, Hunter stomps off to the kitchen, followed closely by a snickering Ethan. Cameron doesn't bother to go along with them though. Instead, he saunters over to us and plops himself down in one of the living room chairs. "You two are fucking cute, you know that, right?"

I lean my head against Addison's denim clad shoulder. "We are, aren't we Addy?"

Addison giggles, her cheeks flushing pink. It's true; as hard as Addison finds it to believe, she's a beautiful girl. She's just become so used to people insulting her that compliments are a foreign concept for her. Especially from hot boys.

Mirth dances in Cameron's eyes, and I have a distinct feeling I know exactly where his head is at. "As much as I like the sounds of that— and I love the sound of that— I mean you and our dear boy Hunter," Cameron chuckles. "The dude's whipped."

"He's a pain in my ass," I mumble, too quiet for Cameron to hear, but just loud enough to make Addison choke on her giggles. "He's not whipped," I say louder, sitting up straight and running a hand through my hair, "I'm just an evil temptress who has him wrapped around my little finger."

Cameron grins suggestively. "Well, you can temp me any day."

My eyes roll. This boy is a shameless flirt. Which reminds me...

"Speaking of evil temptresses and fuck boys," I announce, feeling rather amused by my own segue. "What was up with that whole scene back there?"

The fuckboy in question looks on cluelessly. "What scene? I don't remember a scene."

"The scene where your jaw almost hit the floor when you saw our friend. You know, the one who hates you."

He opens his mouth, either with a denial or a retort, but his words die on his tongue as Hunter and Ethan amble into the room loudly, drinks in hand. My so-called boyfriend hands me a glass and falls onto the sofa beside me, narrowly avoiding falling into my lap. Ethan, being twice the gentleman his best friend is, takes a seat on the love-seat alone and holds out a glass for Addison.

When she looks at nervously, biting her lip absently, Ethan smiles kindly. "Don't worry, it's ginger ale."

Addison blushes, taking the glass from Ethan with a shy smile. Meanwhile, I turn to look at Hunter with a flat expression. "If this is a soda, I'm going to dump it on your head."

The guys laughter fills the air, and Hunter pats my bare leg. "I'm not stupid, Skirt. Or suicidal," he points at the glass in my hand. "A good quarter of that is tequila."

I consider it for a moment, eyeing the fizzy drink in my hand before I shrug my shoulders. "Good," I say with a smile, and knock back half the glass.

Yup. That's tequila alright.

"Anyways, back to my question," I announce, placing my glass on the table in front of us. "What's with you and Eliza? Someone needs to tell me that story before she gets back and I ask her myself."

Before Cameron can open his mouth, Hunter grins, wrapping his arm lazily around my shoulders as he reclines beside me. "Our dear Cameron here is head over heels for Eliza. Who happens to be completely in love with her girlfriend."

"I am not!" Cameron retorts, sounding as unconvincing as a six year old.

"Sure, you're not," Hunter shrugs. "But riddle me this— why haven't you had anything more than a one night stand with a girl since Eli told you, in no uncertain terms, that she does not and never will like anyone with a dick."

Cameron's mouth quickly morphs into that cunning grin of his. "Maybe I've just been waiting for you to finally come to your senses, Hunt," he drawls, pointing a finger at the boy beside me. "Don't deny it, we'd be adorable together."

Hunter only shakes his head, but I have to contain the fit of giggles welling up inside of me. "You know, having a not-so-secret boner for a gay girl has certainly made you gayer."

"I was literally having sex when you all got here!" Cameron defends himself loudly. "And I can promise you, Tayler is very much a girl. So there."

Frankly, the more Cameron tries to convince us otherwise, the less and less I believe he doesn't have feelings for my friend. It would certainly explain why Eliza loathes him so severely. And, to be honest, it's kind of weird to think that a golden boy like Cameron would be harboring an illicit crush on a girl like Eliza.

"Why don't I have a drink?" Cameron questions suddenly, interrupting my thought process.

A snort of laughter erupts beside me, and I glance up the see Hunter rolling his eyes. "Because you hit on my girlfriend when you're drunk, you horny bastard."

"It's hardly my fault you're girlfriend's hot, Hunt. Besides, we all know Pey-Bae only settled for you because she hadn't met me yet."

I shudder at the horrid nickname he gives me as Hunter lunges forward to smack his friend. Cameron rolls off of the chair he's sitting in and girlishly makes a dash for the kitchen, cackling like a maniac.

Shaking my head at the craziness that is one Cameron Wilson. I check my phone, sending Eliza a quick text to ensure she plans on coming back before joining Ethan and Addy in whatever sophisticated conversation the two of them have been engaged in without us.

A few minutes later, Cameron re-emerges from the kitchen with a bottle of tequila in one hand and a stack of plastic shot glasses in another. The shit eating grin on his face lets me know that whatever is going on in his head, it's bound to be either hilariously entertaining or entirely traumatizing.

"Who wants to play a game?"

Yeah, I've got nothing to say y'all haven't heard before.
So, until next time...

Lots of love,

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 79.3K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...
1.1M 23.8K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...
1.4M 51.4K 40
Scarlett Everwood isn't necessarily your average 17-year-old girl, but she's managed to get by. After a year of pulling herself back together, she's...
528K 10.3K 87
[COMPLETED] "That wasn't very nice, was it princess?" He asked in a husky voice and I stuttered, trying to form words but failing. His lips leaned i...