SEND N E W TS

By obnoxiousbtch

"SEND N E W T S" is a book that allows and encourages women, from the void we know as Wattpad, fangirl over t... More

H e l l o
01| It'll Be Alright [ imagine ]
02| A BIRTHDAY [ headcanon!! ]
04| Telling Newt You're Pregnant [ headcanon ]

03| A Tail [ imagine ]

388 12 3
By obnoxiousbtch

Yes, the title is a pun.

Mermaid AU!

Did I mention I love AU's?

(Also this is kinda long so I might split it into two parts.)

* * *

A man sat on the shore today, though it wasn't a surprise to you. Men come to your lake almost all the time to admire the view. However they didn't know about your existence. All they knew about the Amity Lake was that it was perfect for picnics and watching the sunset. But they didn't know-and you made sure they didn't -that a mermaid resided in it.

You sat on your polished rock, observing the man from afar. You knew you were out and far from his view, since no one has ever spotted you here. He had reddish brown locks, and wore a brown vest over his white long sleeved button-up. A rather beaten up case sat beside him too. He was quite attractive, but you couldn't really confirm since you couldn't get a closer look. His head was bent on a book. Maybe he was reading? No, he was writing.

You found him slightly odd. Most men who came to your lake usually brought women with them. You've even seen them do... Rather inappropriate things. But usually, they had blankets with them for picnics. It wasn't like it bothered you. It was actually pretty adorable that they had dinner by candlelight. You just wished they took their litter with them.

You then saw the man shuffle, reaching into his case. He brought out a pen and resumed with his book, however now that you looked at, it was really a journal. He looked around the lake, maybe taking in the view. But you were wrong. He caught you with his gaze, making you jump in surprise. Did he see you? Could he see you? He gave you a sheepish smile and waved. Oh crap, he did see you.

You panicked. You jumped back into the water and accidentally let your tail splash around, possibly leaving ripples that could easily show where you were. You tried catching your breath, steadying your heartbeat too. You couldn't believe how reckless you were. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!"

You carefully swam up again, only peaking a part of your head so that you'd still stay hidden. But he was still there. Still writing, and still looking around the lake. Was he looking for you? You hoped not. But he looked beyond threatening. Infact, the smile he gave you sent butterflies in your stomach. Yes, you knew what butterflies were. You actually had an impressive amount of knowledge about the human world.

"Are you still there?" He suddenly spoke, making you hide yourself in surprise. "Please don't be frightend! I mean absolutely no harm!"

His voice sounded quite lovely. There was even a tone of innocence in it. Should you give it a shot? Should you risk your life for your chances of making a new friend? Would it be worth it? As of the moment, you felt like you had nothing to lose. You didn't know why, but at the moment, you felt somewhat... Daring.

"I need you to make a promise!" You said sternly, however you knew your voice sounded afraid. It was shaky and croaky at the same time. It made you wince.

He replied almost immediately. "Y-Yes! Yes. Anything!"

You pursed your lips, silently debating with yourself whether you should tell him it not. "I'm not sure if you've heard, but there is a pearl in the bottom if this lake that has the ability to wipe ALL of your memories!" You yelled to make sure he heard. After all, you were still hidden behind a large rock.

"No, I haven't heard. But I am aware now." He says back, voice slightly echoing.

"I'll reveal myself." You said finally, peeking from the rock. You saw him smile widely, making you blush. "I'll reveal myself but if you do anything to harm me, I will use the pearl against you."

You saw him nodding violently, before looking into the lake again. You hoped that he believed your lies. There was no pearl in the bottom of the lake! No pearl that could erase all memories! You just told him that to hopefully scare him. Nevertheless, you swam towards him, careful that the water doesn't move.

But he saw the ripples form anyways and it caught his attention quicker than a spell. He crouched down and neared you, also careful that he doesn't scare you off. "Hello." He says, voice slightly trembling. You lifted your head from the water, letting it drop from your hair. "I appreciate your trust."

"Don't speak to soon." You said, cocking an eyebrow. You were slightly flattered at the way he looked at you; amazed and all. Now that you got a better look, you were able to see his pretty green eyes and freckled cheeks. You were right. He was attractive. "What are you called?"

He snapped out of his thoughts and shook his head. "M-My apologies. Newton Scamander, but people call me Newt." He held a hand out, making you flinch.

But then you remembered what this was; a gesture of socialising. You took it and gently moved it up and down, imitating the boys you once saw on the shore. "They call me (Y/n). I suppose I could call it a pleasure to meet you."

"Please! The pleasure is all mine!" He says a little too quickly, an excited smile plastered on his face. He really was adorable, and you didn't know what it was but something about him made you feel comfortable. A little less scared. But it started growing silent. And you didn't like silence. Often you would sing to drown it out, but you didn't want to do that now.

So instead you cleared your throat. "So? Why are you here?" You asked, however sounding slightly rude. You didn't mean to, and you wanted to take it back but it was too late now.

"Oh. My apologies." He replies rather shyly, now avoiding your eyes. "I came here to study."

"Study what?" You asked with curiosity.

"Well... Study you."

This took you quite a back. You didn't know how to feel. Flattered that he's interested in your kind, or offended that you were just some other subject to learn about. "For the purposes of what?'

"Ahm..." He began, now sitting down. "I'm writing a book, you see." He gestures to his small brown journal. "about magical creatures."

"Why?"

"Because more wizards and witches need to understand that magical creatures, such as yourself, must not be harmed or feared. They need to understand that they should not be killed or exterminated." He sighed. "I wish that one day our knowledge and understanding will extend beyond what we know now."

He got you there. He got you caught in the way he expressed his determination. His passion. Your heart was palpitating, but you were very good at hiding that. You giggled. (which he secretly found adorable) "Oh, so you refer to me as magical?"

"Well-" he blushes, attemtping to find words. "Why, yes! Mermaids are quite frankly one of the most magical creatures of all. Your kind has the ability to both breathe air and water and have the physical features of both human and fish."

You took everything as a compliment. "True." You tapped your chin. "But not quite."

He rose a brow, looking at you with confusion. "How so?"

"Well, you should know that mermaids range in various species. The type of mermaid I am is only common." You smiled at his expression of amazement. "Take the two-finned merpeople by the Pacific Ocean for example; not only do their tails lack colour, but so do the features of their faces. They resemble more of a fish than a person, really. And they can be quite the handful when threatened."

"That's brilliant!" Newt gushes out, his green eyes sparkling in interest. "What else do you know?" He asks politely, opening his journal and readying his pen.

You smiled at him, sitting by the shore to give you a more comfortable position. "Ah. I suppose you want my help to fill in the sea creature section of your book?"

He blushed, avoiding your eyes once again. He distracted himself with the way your tail shimmered against the sun. "I hoped so. Would you really help me if I asked?"

He waited patiently for your answer. But he didn't have to wait long, considering the fact that you replied very quickly.

"I'd love to."

* * *

"And remember, the sharp-toothed red fins have long tails that extend up to their chests." You pointed out, watching him sketch what you describe. You kept a close eye however, watching out for the little mistakes he might make. "And they are exactly seven feet long."

"Seven feet long..." He repeated, scribbling the measurement down. He set his pen beside him and showed you his work. "Is that alright?"

"It's brilliant! It looks very realistic." You complimented. "I'm surprised at how well you could picture all the things I tell you. You are indeed not like the other men. I suppose I could say you're much brighter.

His cheeks turned red. You loved it when he did that. "Oh, please. There are much more talented men out there. All more gifted than me. There is no point in comparing."

Your eyebrows furrowed. "I bet not!" You yelled, splashing the water slightly. "I once came across a ship filled with men, and they seemed to be fishing. However all they smelled of was alcohol and terrible perfume. They barely caught any fish and I must say that I enjoyed watching them stumble all over their ship! I mean not to offend you, but humans can be... Rather dull sometimes."

He laughed at this, making you blush. You haven't really heard his laugh, and boy, it was just as adorable as he was. He wiped a tear from his eye and looked at you again. "That's a very honest opinion."

"From a very honest mermaid." You toyed a bow, winking at him as you did so. For a moment, there was silence, and once again you didn't like that. Thankfully though, he cleared his throat before your uncomfortableness could settle in.

"What about you?" He asked innocently.

You rose your brows. "Me?"

"Yes, you." He says again, biting his lower lip. "You haven't told me anything about your species yet. May I write about you in my book as well?"

"Oh, It'd be an honour that you write about my kind. But I'm afraid this is where I have to disappoint you." You said coyly, making him tilt his head. "I am but a mere mermaid. I'm afraid there's nothing special."

"Nothing special?" He repeats in such disbelief. "You must be joking!"

You giggled, covering your mouth. "I wished I was."

Newt looked at you with this look. A look you couldn't really understand. But it made you melt. He sat up straight. "Nevermind that. Special or not, I'd love you to be a part of my book. So tell me, what colour do your fins usually come in?"

You gave him a smile. You even tried to hide a blush but it wasn't working. "My tail is (f/c), as you can see. But many of our kind's vary." You said, silently proud. "In fact..." You then trailed off. You bit your lower lip, unsure whether or not you should tell him.

Your gut was telling you that it was alright. That you knew he was a man of his word, and you knew that he could be trusted. You cleared your throat before speaking again. "Would you like to know why I am all alone in this lake, Newt?"

* * *

To be continued...

Here's Eddie Redmayne being adorable as fuck while u wait.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

475K 17.1K 96
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
88.2K 4.9K 34
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢'𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐚 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩 𝐭𝐨 𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲? 𝐢 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 �...
605K 13.6K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
682K 33.7K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...