Aveyond: Rhen's Quest

By cvhyen

A powerful deity, Ahriman, has opened the Demon Portal and dark creatures now threaten the great isles. Rhen... More

Prologue: Ahriman's Return
Chapter 1: Strange Dream
Chapter 2: Strange Encounter
Chapter 3: Kidnapped
Chapter 4: Enslaved
Chapter 5: Enrollment
Chapter 6: The Trial
Chapter 7: A Quest Unfolded
Chapter 8: Land of Endless Snow
Chapter 9: Aveyond
Chapter 10: Beyond The Mist
Chapter 11: The Task
Chapter 13: First Roadblock
Chapter 14: The Wicked
Chapter 15: Bloodsucker
Chapter 16: Shadowmeld
Chapter 17: A New Company, or Two?
Chapter 18: Lowlands
Chapter 19: Highlands
Chapter 20: The Truth
Chapter 21: Assassination
Chapter 22: Wrath of Snow
Chapter 23: Veldt
Chapter 24: Invasion
Chapter 25: Genie's Request
Chapter 26: Trapped
Chapter 27: Breakthrough
Chapter 28: Beyond the Isles
Chapter 29: The Suspicions
Chapter 30: The Dream
Chapter 31: The Last Obstacle
Chapter 32: The Assault
Chapter 33: Final Confrontation
Chapter 34: Aftermath
Epilogue: A New Era

Chapter 12: Land's End

470 12 0
By cvhyen

After changing into their new outfit, the duo immediately began their preparation for their journey to come. The sorcerer went shopping at the marketplace and looking for something useful for their quest. He even fancied himself a new orb staff to replace his old black-oak staff from a necromancer store. No one is able to buy things from the necromancer shop, only the full-leagued sorcerer can be granted access.

"What's this?" Lars asked the necromancer who owned the shop after a beautiful aqua-blue sphere caught his attention.

"It's a flood orb. It can be fused into an orb staff to enhance its power," explained the necromancer as nudging the staff that Lars held.

"I'll buy it," and so Lars paid a handsome price for his equipments.

Before heading out, his attention was caught by a dull pendant with a socket in the middle. As he came near, the shop owner halted in the nick of time before the pendant pulled him into it.

"Don't touch that, you fool! That's an empty Soul Pendant."

"What would happen if I touched it?" asked Lars, who was shocked at the necromancer's sudden booming.

"Your soul will be sucked into the pendant," the shop owner explained. "Only an undead creature can safely touch that thing in its current state."

"Oh, I see. Thanks for the warning," after that Lars went away.

"What a fool. I can't imagine what will happen if I warned him a second later," mused the necromancer.

And so Lars went to their meeting place and wait for Rhen, who was in the academy.

~~~

Meanwhile, the sword singer stayed in Shadwood Academy to retrieve some information from her headmaster.

"Can you tell me more about the swords of power?" asked Rhen.

"Swords of Power are magical swords that enable a sword singer to wield incredible amounts of power," explained Master Harald. "Each Sword of Power contains knowledge of swordmanship. When a sword singer equips a Sword of Power, this knowledge will be transmitted to the Sword Singer. But when this sword is unequipped, whatever knowledge that was transmitted will be lost.

"Swords of Power are rare, and the skills to create then was lost a millenia ago. If you find one, you can consider yourself lucky."

"Is the Sword of Shadows one of them?" asked the sword singer eagerly.

"Yes. But I heard that it was well kept in the holy place of Aveyond," nodded Master Harald.

"Thanks, Master Harald. It's about time, I should get going," spoke Rhen gratefully after she noticed that time didn't wait her long.

"Very well, good luck on your quest. You'll need it."

Thus Rhen went out and met with Lars at the city gate.

~~~

On the way to the Land's End, which had rumours circulating that a demon was staying there, the adventurers met a fancy lady.

She had a tan skin as if she had her sunbath moment ago, glamoured herself with a cotton gown, her hand gripping on tightly to a whip, glamorous accessories like earrings, bracelets and so on dangling around her. She was standing at the edge of a cliff, observing the Wildwoods Forest from above while deeply in thought. Until a voice interrupted her.

"Hello there, are you lost?" piped Rhen, who guessed she was a damsel in distress.

"Hmm?" the lady turned to her, "No I'm just waiting for someone... Are you going to the Wildwood Forest?"

"Yes."

"I don't recognise your dress. But you look to be of noble blood," presumed Lars at the stranger's elegant-looking attire.

"You have a sharp eye northerner. I'm from the noble house of Lithir de Aramati in Veldt," complimented the southerner.

"What brings you to this place, m'lady?" asked Lars politely.

"I'm looking for a new husband."

"A new husband? You were married once?" asked Rhen, who was shocked at her answer.

"You shame me! I'm not so silly as to have lost my other husbands! They're on the southern isle awaiting my return," explained the southerner.

Lars faked a cough, "Husbands?!"

"You look shocked, northerner. Have I said something offensive?"

"How many...husbands...do you have, M'lady?" stammered the sorcerer.

"Only three. But I shall find more," answer the southerner calmly. "I'm sorry young man, but you're not the type of husband I'm looking for. I hope this doesn't offend you." she added.

"Offend me! Err... Hey! What's wrong with me! Hundreds of girls want to marry me!" protested Lars, waving his hands in the air. Rhen rolled her eyes.

"Lars we really don't have time for this," snapped Rhen, ignored Lars' sign of protest, then turned to the fancy lady. "What's your name, southerner from Veldt?"

"My name is Elinidana 'ter 'Lithir, but you may simply call me Elini," addressed the southerner.

"Do you know anything about the Wildwood Forest?" requested Rhen.

"Only few return alive. This is whay I wait here. It's best for adventurers to travel together in that place."

"Would you like to travel with us, m'lady?" offered Lars sincerely while stretching out his hand and knelt down. Elini took his hand and Lars stood back up.

"Hmm..." she placed a finger to her lips and pondered in thought before answering.

"I accept your offer," she smiled sweetly. Before we go, please introduce yourselves and also tell me what skills you offer. Best we know what each of us can do to ensure our survival."

"My name is Rhen and this is Lars--" who rolled his eyes at Rhen, "---I'm a sword singer and he's a sorcerer," introduced Rhen.

"A sword singer and a sorcerer? Interesting company indeed," mused Elini, who gave them a brief look. "I'm a demon summoner. With our abilities combined, we may survive."

In the end Elini joined the company and ventured to Wildwood Forest, heading to the Land's End.

~~~

Aesma had reached the Memory Cavern. He had been ordered by his master to retrieve the soul of Vata, the Time Guardian. When he reached the foot of the temple, fairies appeared out of nowhere and circled him. A tiny voice echoed among the troupe of fairies.

"Begone! You're not allowed to enter the Time Temple, daeva."

"Let me passss...or you'll regret stopping me!" hissed the demon.

"You can't overpower us. You're outnumbered."

"Hehehe! We'll see about that..." after that he vanished into thin air.

"He's vanished! Brace yourself everyone! Don't you ever let your guard down!" it was the general of the fairies who spoke.

Within second, Aesma appeared behind a group of fairies and slashed them with his vicious-looking claws before disappearing again. The general and few his underlings casted a barrier spell, hoping that it trapped them in it along with the demon. Then he waited for the right time for the demon to appear. Once, Aesma reappeared directly front of them. They begun their counterattack swiftly.

"NOW!" boomed the general.

Vines uprooted from the earth and entangled the daeva's limbs and all over his body, which preventing him from disappearing and reduced the speed of his movements rather effectively but...

"Hmp! Do you think this little trick of yours can hold me? Silly pixies!" snorted Aesma, followed by a cruel smile. Demonic auras circling around him, the vines started getting dehydrated. Seconds later all the vines that bound around him shriveled and wilted.

"Now it's my turn to finish all of you!" Aesma closed his eyes for seconds and looked at his company with blood-shot eyes.

"Clawe Fiery!" he spun himself like a tornado went lunatic, spinning across the fairies who blocked his way. He stopped then when he reached the entrance of the temple.

"Weaklings! Worthless, useless moths!" taunted Aesma, followed by a snort. Most of the fairies that were lying motionlessly on the ground, started to fade away into dust particles, some of them managed to retreat with all the strength they had while some survived from the attack.

"You won't get away from this! You filthy monster!" yelled the general, who was one of the survivor. He flew across the field and heading to the temple through the Rainbow Bridge, which was built as a link from the cavern to the temple.

But the demon used his claws that was charged up with power and successfully destroyed the bridge, which caused the general to fall into a bottomless pit right underneath.

"General!" cried some of the fairies, trying to hear the voice of their general, trying to believe that he was still alive. But all they had was the hollow sound of the pit. While the demon ignored their sappy moment and went into the Time Temple.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158 60 23
-Find the light. Save the world- Addisyn is a dreamer, captivated by stories of fantasy, with the hopes to write one of her own someday. Her life tol...
988 42 38
After 500 years the Demons of the Shadows come back to Faralon to wage war. A prophecy is set into motion when a young girl named Effie stands her gr...
251 13 19
Rhojeka is a bard turned sorceress, with the unique ability to see other people's auras. Her best friend from childhood, Mervella, is a warrior and s...
227 1 7
For centuries, the world of Aeon has been oppressed by a great evil. Its people cower without hope...until now. Prophecy spoke of a chosen one who br...