Perception (Apparition Invest...

Por ElizaLainn

Ghostbusters meets X-Men in a creepy urban fantasy adventure! "A pocket watch. She bought a pocket watch and... Más

Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 1
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 2
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 3
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 4
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 6
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 7
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 8
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 9
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 10
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 11
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 12
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 13
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 14
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 15
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 16
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 17
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 18
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 19
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 20
Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 21
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 1
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 2
Case #3: Hell's Gate: Part 3
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 4
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 5
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 6
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 7
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 8
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 9
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 10
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 11
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 12
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 13
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 14
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 15
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 16
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 17
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 18
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 19
Case #2: Hell's Gate: Part 20

Case #1: Villanova Apartments: Part 5

1K 78 13
Por ElizaLainn

"This is never going to work," I grumbled. Bronte cleared off the ottoman, moving everything to the kitchen table. I stood back, close to the door, the box tucked under my arm.

"Have a little faith. This is going to work."

"No, it isn't. You can't just buy a Ouija board at Wal-Mart and expect it to work."

Finished clearing the space, she sat down beside the ottoman and held her hands out for the box.

I hesitated. "I mean, if we really wanted it to work, we'd find some crazy spirit medium shop or something. Velvet curtains, fog machine, a scary woman with long nails and creepy jewelry. I think that Ouija board would be infinitely more reliable than a Hasbro—"

"Stella," she snapped, waving impatiently.

Slinking forward, I handed her the box. She slid off the lid as I dropped to my knees on the other side of the ottoman.

Bronte unpacked the box with care and solemnity. She handled the board with the caution a first-time mother might handle a newborn, carefully laying it on the center of the coffee table. Then she placed the plastic planchette—the movable piece with the transparent plastic window—on the center.

With how she set the board up, it was upside-down to me. Not that it really mattered—I recognized the alphabet. 'Yes' and 'No' flanked the rows of letters. The word 'Good-bye' hung below everything else, as if it's been added as an afterthought. The smirking sun in the top left corner, and the winking moon in the top right, seemed to focus on Bronte as she took in a deep breath and reached for the planchette.

"Oh wait," she said, hopping up. She hurried around to the book nook, flipping on the lamp, and then darted for the light switch near the front door.

"Hell no," I jumped up. "Don't you dare turn—"

She flicked the lights off. She cast me an impish smirk over her shoulder before bounding back over to the ottoman. "It's in the rules," she said matter-of-factly, dropping down into her spot. "The lights have to be turned off."

I caught the tremor in her tone.  "Like hell it is. If we're summoning spirits, we're doing it with the lights on."

"Sit," she ordered, gesturing.

I cast a longing look at the light switch.

She put her hands on the planchette. "I'm starting."

Grudgingly, I dropped back down. "How do we start?"

She hesitated. "Um, I think we just ask a question. And then the pointer moves."

"Planchette," I corrected, reaching for the box. "Oh look. There are instructions on the back."

"What do they say?"

"A game for those who seek to find a way to leave their world behind."

"Stella!"

"Fine, fine," I mumbled, taking in a deep breath. "Ok. It says that at least one person should refrain from touching the board—so as to be uninfluenced by the spirits. Dibs. I so call dibs on that. And it says we just ask questions. And not to use it alone. Does it count as alone if only one person is touching the board?"

"I think it'll be fine. So we just ask questions, right?"

I continued to skim the back of the box. "Yeah, I think so. And then the spirits will move the planchette to respond. So...what do we ask first?"

Bronte took in a deep breath. Her eyes fluttered closed on her exhale.

For a moment, nothing stirred. No sound came from outside. The soft light from the lamp in the corner cast everything in shadows. Outside, inky blackness stretched in every direction, fueled by a moonless night and thick clouds.

I felt cut off. Alone. Like the rest of the world had fallen away and we were all that was left. Nothing existed outside the outer walls of the apartment.

"Um, hello," Bronte said.

A fit of hysterical giggles pinched my side as I bit them back. "Hello?" I barked, my voice shaking. "Hello?"

"Hush," she snapped, eyes flying open. Then she closed them again. "Yes, hello. I don't see any reason to skip the pleasantries during first meetings."

My laughter died as the planchette began to move.

Bronte's eyes flew open as we watched the planchette slide over two letters. H. I.

"Get paper," Bronte snapped.

I bolted into my bedroom and snatched the notepad I kept beside my bed. Then I flew back to the living room, remembered to grab a pen, and dove back into my seat with my hands clutching the pen so hard I thought it'd snap. "Anything else?"

"No...I think it was waiting for you to come back," she whispered, breathless, her fingers visibly shaking on the planchette.

"Bronte?"

"I didn't...I didn't think it would actually work."

"You were holding hands with a ghost earlier—how could this be any crazier?"

The planchette began moving again.

"I swear to God, Charlotte, if you're moving this—"

She pulled her hands away from the tiny plank.

And it kept moving.

She crawled around to my side and we watched, upside down, as the planchette continued to spell out words.

N. I. C. E. T. O. M. E. E. T. Y. O. U.

"Nice to meet you?" Bronte whispered.

"Such a gentleman," I scoffed, trying to hide the fact that I was shaking. That my pulse had skyrocketed. That chills crept down my spine. "Glad to see it shares your devotion to pleasantries."

We shared a quick look and then Bronte looked up and around the room. "Um, the pleasure is all mine."

When I didn't answer, she jabbed me in the side with her elbow. "Yeah, ditto."

More letters came.

I. A. M. O. L. I. V. E. R. A. N. D. I. A. M. W. I. T. H. M. Y. F. R. I. E. N. D. C. Y. R. I. L.

"Oliver and Cyril," I said.

"There are two of you?" Bronte asked.

The planchette moved over Yes.

I felt a stab of annoyance, imaging the two ghosts laughing at my expense, playing a prank the likes of which the Ghostly Trio from Casper would be proud. "Yeah? And which one of you thought it would be a fun idea to scare the crap out of me with that howling, huh?"

N. E. I. T. H. E. R. S. O. M. E. T. H. I. N. G. E. L. S. E.

"Something else?" Bronte peered down at my notes. "You mean there are more of you?"

C. O. M. P. L. I. C. A. T. E. D.

"You better uncomplicate it," I snapped. "What do you mean there's something else in our apartment? Something harmful? Angry?"

Yes.

Bronte shuddered, clutching at my arm. "This was a bad idea. What if they're lying? Ghosts lie, right? That's like Horror Movies 101."

A muffled voice floated through the room. I turned toward Bronte but she didn't seem to hear it. Or if she did, she wasn't outwardly freaking out.

"Say that again, but louder, if you can."

Bronte looked at me with concern. "I said this was a bad—"

"Shush."

The sound of voices grew slightly louder. I clamped my eyes shut and that helped. I could hear the cadence of speech, almost make out words. But it was still too garbled, too muddy.

Then I heard the last word, as crisp and clear as a bell. "Stella."

My eyes flew open.

"We're done," I snapped, snatching the planchette and hurling it across the room.

"Hey," Bronte shouted, scrambling after it. "What are you doing?"

"We are finished." I grabbed the board, slammed it shut, and shoved it in the direction of the box. Then I jumped up and headed for the door.

I yanked it open and it slammed shut, the handle ripped from my hands.

"Please don't go," a voice whispered.

Bronte froze, the board in one hand and the planchette in the other, from her place beside the ottoman. "Oh my God..." she breathed, eyes locked on the front door.

I stared at the door in shock. Then I whirled around. The apartment was empty—all I could see was Bronte huddled beside the ottoman. But I knew they were there.

"You cannot keep me here, you bastards. I want to leave so you better freaking open that door."

After a slight pause, it creaked open.

"Please," a bodiless voice whispered near my shoulder. Husky and baritone and masculine.  But speaking lowly, softly, guilt and desperation wrestling in his tone. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? You slammed the door shut in my face."

"I just...I didn't mean to."

Bronte slowly set the board and the planchette down on the couch, moving with all the skittishness of a deer. "Who are you talking to, Stella?"

"She can hear you, Cyril," another voice whispered. The tone was a smidgen higher than the first, but still deep. Silvery. Soft-spoken and dipped in honey. "My God..."

"And you too, Oliver, I take it?" I snapped.

There was a beat of silence followed by a rich, booming laugh. From the first voice. Cyril, it seemed.

My muscles relaxed at the sound. Whatever instinct against the unknown that warned me to leave slowly began to fade, eased by the emotions I heard in their voices:  genuine joy, relief, and excitement.  

Exhilaration replaced my fear. Ghosts. I was talking with ghosts.

Bronte lowered herself to the couch. "You can hear them." She stated it rather than asked. "You can hear them. And..." her voice lowered, "I think they're both standing in front of you."

I focused on her. "What?"

"Now...now they've turned. I think. They're looking over—looking over here."

"And you can see them," I breathed.

"Barely. More like an outline. But yes, I think I can see them."

Then Oliver let loose a very ungentlemanly word.

And I started laughing.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

62 3 9
*BOOK COMING OUT ON MARCH 29TH ON AMAZON, SELF PUBLISHED. * Perfect for fans of 1984, Twilight and Warm Bodies, are you ready to venture into this Yo...
2.1K 124 21
"If you love me, you won't leave me." Jessie has believed those words from her boyfriend, Josh, since senior year of high school. She loves him and d...
4.7K 682 50
The hour of mysteries has struck. Along with it, the grand clock of time, which for centuries has relentlessly moved forward, crushing lives and futu...
384K 18.5K 63
[BOOK ONE OF THE VAMPIRE AND THE GHOST SERIES] She's dead, he's undead. An unusual duo make their way through the modern world, and its modern chall...